Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Where would you find enough cocaine to operate such a vehicle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

VideoTapir posted:

Most likely the crease between the seat and the backrest.

The Aston looks great from the outside (aside from the paint), but holy poo poo that interior. The dashboard and controls were state of the art at the time, but now they look like they'd be at home mounted in the cab of a locomotive. Or a train simulator console mounted in a spare bathroom at grandma's house. That type of carpet makes me shudder on sight.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Negromancer posted:

ah, now I see it. I like the layout, gently caress passengers, only the driver gets to gently caress with the heater!

This would just prevent me from having to yell at people for touching the thermostat or trying to do some truly asinine poo poo like have heat coming from the vents in the dash instead of the feet.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

VideoTapir posted:

You wouldn't. You would never find enough.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
But I'm drat well prepared to try

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
This is a little bit out of my price range, but i'm looking over my finances to see if I can get a loan to bring this darling home.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1987-Toyota-Corolla-Hatchback-AE86-V8-W0QQAdIdZ561493500

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Hope he drove it with the air filter on. I once went to look at a 88 TII and the owner admitted he never had an air filter for it, so he just drove without one for almost a year.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

TWSS posted:

This is a little bit out of my price range, but i'm looking over my finances to see if I can get a loan to bring this darling home.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1987-Toyota-Corolla-Hatchback-AE86-V8-W0QQAdIdZ561493500

Cool swap, but the bodywork looks awful. Unmatched door and what is up with the rear fender?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TWSS posted:

Jesus, that car is a Frankenstein:

Sc400 1uz
W58
mr2 manual rack
Mini Cooper front rotors with rx7 4 pots
Mk1 supra rear end
1 piece driveshaft
heim joint 4 links and adjustable panhard
350lb sw20 shocks front. 200lb camaro rears kyb agx all around
Tercel brake booster camry 15/16 brake master upgraded from 13/16
Trac deleted TB
poly lca bushings
Full GTS body harness
1uz adapter kit uses a t56 hydraulic throw out bearing
d*garage front strut brace

So lets see, parts swapped from a SC400, MR2, Mini Cooper, RX7, MK1 Supra, Camaro, Tercel and Camry. That's eight different loving cars.

Yeah sign me right up.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 27, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sounds like at least it's documented what came from where, a lot of patchy swap jobs you won't even get that info. I believe I have parts from something like 5-10 different vehicles on my truck right now, and the list is only going to grow.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What does not test pilots even mean? Because I'm not entirely sure I would purchase a car I was not able to drive. If you want $20 bucks for gas or something that's cool, but I'd be really reluctant handing over thousands of dollars without driving it first sorry.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

animeliker posted:

What does not test pilots even mean? Because I'm not entirely sure I would purchase a car I was not able to drive. If you want $20 bucks for gas or something that's cool, but I'd be really reluctant handing over thousands of dollars without driving it first sorry.

He doesn't want to waste his time with people who ONLY want to come drive it. I've done it at dealerships, certainly, talk yourself into a test drive of something you have zero intention of buying.

I can't imagine wasting some random guys time like that, but then, I'm not an enormous fuckwit like most of craigslist.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MrYenko posted:

He doesn't want to waste his time with people who ONLY want to come drive it. I've done it at dealerships, certainly, talk yourself into a test drive of something you have zero intention of buying.

I can't imagine wasting some random guys time like that, but then, I'm not an enormous fuckwit like most of craigslist.

So whenever someone comes out and realizes it's a huge hunk of poo poo after test-driving, I wonder if this guy thinks to himself "loving test pilots"

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

I believe I have parts from something like 5-10 different vehicles on my truck right now, and the list is only going to grow.

Yeah, but it's a Jeep, so you had 3 or 4 right from the factory. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pham Nuwen posted:

So whenever someone comes out and realizes it's a huge hunk of poo poo after test-driving, I wonder if this guy thinks to himself "loving test pilots"

With almost 100% certainty.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

leica posted:

Jesus, that car is a Frankenstein:

Actually, those are all really common budget minded upgrades on that car. The Camaro and SW20 shocks let it ride 2" lower without compromising overall travel. The RX7 calipers are good units with adapters available. The supra rear is an easy swap that will handle the V8's output. The MR2 Rack is pretty much the same as the stock unit but with a quicker ratio and no power assist.

The only thing I'd be worried about is the t56 coaxial throwout bearing which is a cool design but scary to think about replacing. Of course people have been living with those for years and it's the only option as far as making a manual 1UZ.

I've also never heard of the Cooper front rotors but when I was working on these the Cooper had just come out.

All in I'd say it's tasteful for a racer on a budget. Still $7500 would give you a lot of other choices to consider.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Pretty much. Years ago when I was looking to buy my first car, a friend and I went to check out a VH Commodore that had been advertised on a car forum. It had "$1000's spent" on it, for which he had "all the receipts". The picture matched the description, but also contained another (partially obscured) VH that certainly didn't.

You can guess which car he turned out to be actually selling. Many of the receipts were for things I couldn't easily confirm (engine rebuild, camshaft, etc), but it was obvious that some were for work on the other car. I wasn't all that interested in buying the car at this point, but I didn't exactly feel bad about wasting the guys time so I test drove it anyway - it felt very very tired and there wasn't much sign of where all that money went (well aside from what was at the other end of his loving driveway).

Later that night I saw a post on the forum titled "tire kicking tools" which contained a non-coherent rant about the two guys who dared waste his time, it was posted under a different account but his avatar had his car in it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
If someone lies to me about very basic questions over email that have clear yes or no answers, I will absolutely waste their time and drive the car. Probably done that 5 or 6 times now.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

I feel a badtime coming on...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
For the price I think that thing's got a bit too much rust. Better than that green one that was up a few days ago, though...

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
That is the best Inka car I've seen in my price range. I know it has a lot of rust for a NM/CA car, but I've wanted an Inka 2002 since I was 12. All the body pieces are still available brand new from BMW. The only issue would be getting a decent match on the paint color.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 27, 2014

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4302428820.html

Was looking for a mid '90s Japanese luxury sedan with a manual and found this. The price is pretty steep compared to other examples, but it looks to be in exemplary condition and a neat engine/tranny combo. Owner looks like he really cared about the car and wouldn't be a total slapdick to deal with, too.

Also, pretty clean $2500 final model year manual trans equipped Protege 5 with 42k on the "engine" (odo or new motor?) with a non-slapdick sounding owner: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4306679780.html

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sinestro posted:

I feel a badtime coming on...

That car is kickass, even with the rust. If you check it out but don't buy it, send me a PM or something, it's not too far from me and I love the color.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

AF posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4302428820.html

Was looking for a mid '90s Japanese luxury sedan with a manual and found this. The price is pretty steep compared to other examples, but it looks to be in exemplary condition and a neat engine/tranny combo. Owner looks like he really cared about the car and wouldn't be a total slapdick to deal with, too.

That's an insane price for a 94 Acura. You could get a hell of a nice 5 series for that much.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

leica posted:

That's an insane price for a 94 Acura. You could get a hell of a nice 5 series for that much.

Ya, I understand that its an extremely rare car, nearly unobtanium even... But its still a twenty year old Acura.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holy loving balls.

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4293083044.html

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I wonder how hacked together this. Optispark :cry: Interior has turned pink but V8 RX7...

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4305031639.html

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bovril Delight posted:

I wonder how hacked together this. Optispark :cry: Interior has turned pink but V8 RX7...

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4305031639.html

I just don't understand why anyone would intentionally go out of their way to use an LT1 in something. Either stick to oldschool and use a gen1 with aftermarket or vortec heads, or go with an LS style motor which is better in every way. Either an LM7 or an L31 would be cheaper than an LT1, too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like that interior though. The red on FCs was always so much classier than the blue.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I like that interior though. The red on FCs was always so much classier than the blue.

Trans is worth like half the cost of the car too.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Raluek posted:

I just don't understand why anyone would intentionally go out of their way to use an LT1 in something. Either stick to oldschool and use a gen1 with aftermarket or vortec heads, or go with an LS style motor which is better in every way. Either an LM7 or an L31 would be cheaper than an LT1, too.

I don't get it either. You can get a 4.8 or 5.3 long block out of a wrecked truck for $500 in running condition.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I don't know ... The LT1 is a torque-y thing and sounds awesome with a set of LT headers, also seems like a pretty good price for that.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Raluek posted:

Even an LQ4. You can find those really cheap nowadays and they're perfect for adding forced induction.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Whenever I get bored by my e36 I really want to build an LSx FD track car. Just need to wait for some RHD ones with blown motors to pop up.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Raluek posted:

You got the LT1 as a free or cheap windfall, or you did the swap before LS engines got cheap.

Why would whatshisname in this forum with the WS6 use his odd LS/truck engine chimera instead of an actual LSx? Because it's what he had and it worked well enough.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

You got the LT1 as a free or cheap windfall, or you did the swap before LS engines got cheap.

Why would whatshisname in this forum with the WS6 use his odd LS/truck engine chimera instead of an actual LSx? Because it's what he had and it worked well enough.

Everybody always talks about putting all sorts of engines into whatever car they have around... do all these cars have a huge family of compatible engines, or are they fabricating engine mounts and such to make them work?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So I'm putting an LT1 in my project truck, because I had it as an extra from my LeMons car, and it's much easier than anything LS-based. Still mounts to all the gen-1 sbc stuff that's in the truck (enging mounts and bellhousing are a big deal, I can't fab), fuel injected reliability and power and I literally found it in the junkyard with lots of go-fast bits. A lot of people hate on them for the opti-spark, but if your water pump didn't leak, they weren't too bad. I have found that LT1 specific parts are getting rarer, so I can't say I'd recommend it for a ground-up build, but it suited my case well.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012
On the one hand it's only 500 dollars...on the other there is a minor overspray issue

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4304769225.html

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like the passenger side carpet though.

Ohhhh that harness... I bet that loving thing is still less rusty than $5000 Miatas here. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I like the passenger side carpet though.

Ohhhh that harness... I bet that loving thing is still less rusty than $5000 Miatas here. :(

I was also a fan of the "zoom zoom" rear bumper

this poor car, it seems like it had the smallest intention of becoming a track car...but then chrome bbq paint happened.