Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010
Frankly if there's one thing I've learned from owning a Nexus 10 it's that more pixels doesn't result in a better graphical experience in every case (though it helps). My Moto X has far fewer pixels than the Nexus 10, and absolutely spanks it in graphics tests - and I'd imagine the same is true between the Dell and the Lenovo Thinkpad (based purely on anecdotal evidence and my imagination).

[Edit] Meant to quote hotsauce's last post, forgot to hit button. Need coffee - send caffeine immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
Update on my V8P issue. I am exchanging it with amazon they agreed it was malfunctioning. But my wife liked mine so much when it was working, so I was able to get Walmart to price match Staples 229. And her is working fine. These things are awesome. Kind of reminds me of the old UMPC but done right.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My fiance just bought a Venue Pro 8 and is extremely frustrated by it. She's a borderline pro Windows XP->Vista->7 user, way above average, and finds Windows 8.1 very frustrating. She bought it primarily to read PDFs for school (she's in grad school so there is like 100+ pages of PDF reading a week), but the whole thing has annoyed her to an extreme. Maybe it is because we have both put off upgrading to Windows 8, but it seems pretty frustrating to use on tablet form, especially given the tantalizing Desktop mode right there.

Then again maybe I am just preaching to the wrong choir here since this is a Windows 8 thread.

Even worse is that the camera seems pretty terrible. She didn't buy it for the camera, but she was like "Well, this is really frustrating to use, but at least I have a camera to play with-- what the gently caress this is terrible."

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
How can she have difficulty reading PDFs? Install Adobe, open file, read it. You never actually said what is the issue.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Perhaps I'm late here, but everyone with an 8.1 tab NEEDS this app:

http://www.lovesummertrue.com/touchmousepointer/

Its the best thing ever.

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010
Has there been any word on when the Lenovo Thinkpad 8 will be out? Any updates on how much it will cost and have for storage? Last I heard it was coming out at the end of this month, so any day now, would be $400, and start at either 32 or 64 GB storage depending on who you listen to. Have I got all that right? Apparently the Micro-USB port is USB 3.0, and everything else in the 8 inch range is USB 2.0?

[Edit] Thanks hotsauce, that app looks awesome, and like exactly what I need!

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

RVProfootballer posted:

How can she have difficulty reading PDFs? Install Adobe, open file, read it. You never actually said what is the issue.

That's not even necessary, there is a default PDF reader app that's touch.

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

OldPueblo posted:

That's not even necessary, there is a default PDF reader app that's touch.

Does it struggle with 100 page PDFs with tons of pictures like Adobe on my Nexus 10, or is it okay? Aka, can I read a Pathfinder Adventure Path or Rulebook with it and not have it choke for five minutes loading? (This is the part where you tell me that I shouldn't worry, and that it's awesome, better than sushi!)

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Irradiated Haggis posted:

Does it struggle with 100 page PDFs with tons of pictures like Adobe on my Nexus 10, or is it okay? Aka, can I read a Pathfinder Adventure Path or Rulebook with it and not have it choke for five minutes loading? (This is the part where you tell me that I shouldn't worry, and that it's awesome, better than sushi!)

It loads this file up just fine, 300 pages/lots of pictures.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/hispanic/english/33451.pdf

Opened almost immediately and scrolling/pinching is nice and smooth. Dell V8P.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 26, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

jeeves posted:

My fiance just bought a Venue Pro 8 and is extremely frustrated by it. She's a borderline pro Windows XP->Vista->7 user, way above average, and finds Windows 8.1 very frustrating. She bought it primarily to read PDFs for school (she's in grad school so there is like 100+ pages of PDF reading a week), but the whole thing has annoyed her to an extreme. Maybe it is because we have both put off upgrading to Windows 8, but it seems pretty frustrating to use on tablet form, especially given the tantalizing Desktop mode right there.

Then again maybe I am just preaching to the wrong choir here since this is a Windows 8 thread.

Even worse is that the camera seems pretty terrible. She didn't buy it for the camera, but she was like "Well, this is really frustrating to use, but at least I have a camera to play with-- what the gently caress this is terrible."

I've not actually looked at any of this yet, but maybe it has something helpful/useful.

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/springboard/archive/2014/01/22/announcing-windows-8-1-end-user-readiness-content.aspx

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

OldPueblo posted:

It loads this file up just fine, 300 pages/lots of pictures.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/hispanic/english/33451.pdf

Opened almost immediately and scrolling/pinching is nice and smooth. Dell V8P.

You have NO idea how much of a blast from the past that book is! I swear I had something like it when I was a kid! Haha. Well, if the Venue can handle that, then I'm not worried. I just managed to sell the Nexus 10. Windows 8 here I come! Pueblo, are you running the 32 or 64 GB version, by the way? Is there anything else I should know before buying?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

You have NO idea how much of a blast from the past that book is! I swear I had something like it when I was a kid! Haha. Well, if the Venue can handle that, then I'm not worried. I just managed to sell the Nexus 10. Windows 8 here I come! Pueblo, are you running the 32 or 64 GB version, by the way? Is there anything else I should know before buying?

32GB, it's just my lazy browsing device. I had one issue where out of the box if you install windows updates and update Dell wireless drivers in the wrong order, your wireless will be a bitch to fix. I don't recall what I did to fix it, I think I just reset it day one and then installed them in a different order and it worked fine then. It's probably around google somewhere or maybe it's no longer an issue since it's been out awhile now. Now that I've used them awhile I'd not recommend the Dell keyboard/Folio combo. It's just unwieldy. I'm looking for something I had on my Nexus 7, the standard case that's made for all tablets like this:

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Google-New-Nexus-Case/dp/B00E4OKXPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390723774&sr=8-1&keywords=moko+nexus+7

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 26, 2014

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010
(I'd just like to say a huge thank you to everyone who's answered my questions in the thread thus far - you're all wonderful people, and you've been very helpful. I hope I can return the favor someday.)

Thanks! I'll watch out for that wireless drivers issue - but on the upside, fixing a Windows 8 machine is doable without root or unlocking or warranty voiding stuff. Did you leave your recovery partition in place? I've heard that it's tricky to get it onto a USB drive through the Micro-USB port.

The only accessory I was considering from Dell was the pen, for note taking and whatnot, except that I have 'doctor's handwriting'. My chemistry teacher made an exception to the 'handwritten reports only' for yours truly.

Actually to solve the 'no-HDMI' issue, a Chromecast seemed like a decent, if kind of second-hand option. As for a keyboard, I saw this on Amazon and it seems pretty compact.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FEYJOTK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Do you have a preferred case? I only saw about three of them on Amazon.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Has there been any word on when the Lenovo Thinkpad 8 will be out? Any updates on how much it will cost and have for storage? Last I heard it was coming out at the end of this month, so any day now, would be $400, and start at either 32 or 64 GB storage depending on who you listen to. Have I got all that right? Apparently the Micro-USB port is USB 3.0, and everything else in the 8 inch range is USB 2.0?

[Edit] Thanks hotsauce, that app looks awesome, and like exactly what I need!

From everything I heard, there's only going to be a 64 GB and 128 GB model and the price starts at $399. Release date is still up in the air. It was suppose to have a same day launch as the CES announcement then it was moved to the end of January and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up releasing in early February.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Man, if this came with a pen it'd be perfect: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/ideatab/miix-series/miix-2-10-inch/

1980x1200 (gently caress widescreen tablets forever), bay trail, decent keyboard dock, and I believe it's actual price is going to be more like $500 once it's actually shipping and lenovo applies their EXTRA SPECIAL DISCOUNTS OFF MRSP!!!!

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

Call Me Charlie posted:

From everything I heard, there's only going to be a 64 GB and 128 GB model and the price starts at $399. Release date is still up in the air. It was suppose to have a same day launch as the CES announcement then it was moved to the end of January and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up releasing in early February.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7674/lenovo-yoga-miix-2-and-thinkpad-tablets-vibe-z-and-k900-smartphones

"Pricing starts at $399, presumably for the 32GB eMMC model without 4G."

I'm not saying that you're wrong on storage, but articles like this don't really make it clear, and talking to Lenovo through chat didn't help. They just kept linking me to the product listing on their website. They couldn't tell me the price or storage options, but kept insisting that it would be available by the 'end of this month', for whatever that's worth to you.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

The Thinkpad 8 page on Lenovo's site doesn't list 32 GB as an option at all. It'll be $399 for 64 GB, no 4G.

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

The Thinkpad 8 page on Lenovo's site doesn't list 32 GB as an option at all. It'll be $399 for 64 GB, no 4G.

Haha. Thanks for clearing that up. Pardon my ignorance. I'm in chat with a Lenovo guy right now who claims that it will come in 32, 64, and 128 versions (he originally said 16GB, until I reminded him that Windows 8 won't really fit in there). Then again he also claims that the storage numbers listed include what you can add with the MicroSD slot... soooo... I'm not sure where he's getting his info.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
After finishing the Office 2013 install on my Venue 8, the free space went from 6.5 gigs to 7.5 gigs.

Strange. I'm just going to keep the 32 gig + microSD instead of paying $70 more for the 64 gig version. It will force me to only install what I absolutely need :v:

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

hotsauce posted:

After finishing the Office 2013 install on my Venue 8, the free space went from 6.5 gigs to 7.5 gigs.

Strange. I'm just going to keep the 32 gig + microSD instead of paying $70 more for the 64 gig version. It will force me to only install what I absolutely need :v:

Just bear in mind that Windows needs a certain amount of free space on the drive in order to run smoothly. So while you have 7.5 free, you probably can't use all of it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Anyone know how to turn off the auto-type suggestions in Word 365?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Anyone's surface 2/pro 2 get a row of dead pixels? I've been loving the poo poo out of this thing and then this line of death just appeared tonight. :sigh: Guess it's time to call Microsoft or amazon now, huh?

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Anyone's surface 2/pro 2 get a row of dead pixels? I've been loving the poo poo out of this thing and then this line of death just appeared tonight. :sigh: Guess it's time to call Microsoft or amazon now, huh?

If possible I'd take it into your local Microsoft Store and have one of the people there look at it. When I went to pick up my Venue 8 today I was positively smothered by helpful people in colorful shirts who were tripping over themselves to help me. So far Microsoft Live Chat and In Store people have been amazing, but phone support has really sucked. That's just my experience though - your mileage may vary.

Also your avatar makes me feel like I'm on drugs. I love it!

Finally for all of you who endured my incessant posting the last couple of days in this thread - THANK YOU! I followed your advice and got the 64GB Venue 8 Pro. Usually I'm the sort who actively TRIES to find something to gripe about with new electronics and other than the awkwardly placed start menu button I... actually can't find anything to complain about at the price I paid. Windows 8 is such a lovely breath of fresh air coming from 2+ years of Android.

[Edited because I am my own grammar and spelling gestapo!]

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Well I discovered one issue with my DVP8......

.....it's made me want a Surface Pro 2 badly now. :v:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

JayKay posted:

Exact same situation here. I have no possible way to even justify it though, sadly.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

JayKay posted:

Yes, so tempted to just say "gently caress it" and go all Surface Pro 2 with docking station for everything. :(

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Yes, so tempted to just say "gently caress it" and go all Surface Pro 2 with docking station for everything. :(

Does anybody have any experience with external video cards? The main reason I'm not doing this already is that the SP2 doesn't have a GPU onboard, but if it's possible to just plug one into the dock and get decent performance out of it I might change my mind.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

loquacius posted:

Does anybody have any experience with external video cards? The main reason I'm not doing this already is that the SP2 doesn't have a GPU onboard, but if it's possible to just plug one into the dock and get decent performance out of it I might change my mind.

What do you mean by "decent performance"?

You can do multiple monitors using displayport daisy chaining, but if you're talking about USB video adapters or something, it's going to be ok for desktop stuff, but not good for anything else. If they come with a Surface Pro with thunderbolt 2 or something, might be a different story.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

loquacius posted:

Absolutely not going to happen with a SP2. It'd be quite a shock to see it possible with even the next revision though (as it requires Thunderbolt, a relatively unpopular standard).

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

What do you mean by "decent performance"?

You can do multiple monitors using displayport daisy chaining, but if you're talking about USB video adapters or something, it's going to be ok for desktop stuff, but not good for anything else. If they come with a Surface Pro with thunderbolt 2 or something, might be a different story.

Even then, the whole setup and drivers will have to be hacked together since Intel doesn't support using Thunderbolt for external graphics. That isn't to say that it'll be impossible but it won't be a very elegant product unless someone or some company puts a lot of time and polish into it.

I'd love to have an external graphics card for an ultrabook or tablet since I feel gaming laptops compromise too much on weight and battery life while just being able to play just about every video game at maximum settings at its native resolution. What I would really like is, in addition to a desktop docking station with a high end or user-replaceable graphics card, a keyboard dock for a tablet that includes both a graphics card and battery. That way, heat from the CPU and GPU are removed separately and the keyboard battery can feed the GPU without initially drawing from the tablet's own battery. If only some could make something like that. :allears:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Edward IV posted:

Even then, the whole setup and drivers will have to be hacked together since Intel doesn't support using Thunderbolt for external graphics. That isn't to say that it'll be impossible but it won't be a very elegant product unless someone or some company puts a lot of time and polish into it.

I'd love to have an external graphics card for an ultrabook or tablet since I feel gaming laptops compromise too much on weight and battery life while just being able to play just about every video game at maximum settings at its native resolution. What I would really like is, in addition to a desktop docking station with a high end or user-replaceable graphics card, a keyboard dock for a tablet that includes both a graphics card and battery. That way, heat from the CPU and GPU are removed separately and the keyboard battery can feed the GPU without initially drawing from the tablet's own battery. If only some could make something like that. :allears:

Sony tried that and the end result was so expensive you would have been better off buying a decent desktop and laptop. Actually, you're still better off doing that.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Well, the deal with the mobile keyboard for my Venue 11 Pro is that the coupon code I applied totally horked up their order system and my accessories were dropped from the order. By coincidence, the list price of the the tablet alone plus my warranty upgrade was the same as the cost of the tablet and accessories after the coupon code, which is how I missed it.

Happy ending, though: Dell knocked $60 off my tablet order for the inconvenience. Combined with the discount codes that definitely did work today, I'm getting the mobile keyboard dock for a grand total of $65.

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Sony tried that and the end result was so expensive you would have been better off buying a decent desktop and laptop. Actually, you're still better off doing that.

It's a shame really - Sony did actually do it with the 2012 Vaio Z, however it was in a Laptop format rather than a tablet. I was waiting for them to do a follow up in tablet shape but it never actually panned out.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
I found this really useful free app for windows 8 touchscreen.

http://www.lovesummertrue.com/touchmousepointer/en-us/

An on screen touch pad. This has made it great for playing some games that didn't work well with the touch screen.

EDIT: beaten too it. But the app is really good.

Dbhjed fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 29, 2014

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Dbhjed posted:

I found this really useful free app for windows 8 touchscreen.

http://www.lovesummertrue.com/touchmousepointer/en-us/

An on screen touch pad. This has made it great for playing some games that didn't work well with the touch screen.

Its just as good here as it was when it was posted higher up on this page.

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm actually having the same feelings right now. I know that I probably shouldn't, but there's something very alluring about an all in one machine. Plus the student discount helps. I'm pretty sure that the Venue is powerful enough for me though.

OhGodMyFeet
Mar 11, 2009
Does anyone know much about the Medion Akoya P2211/2212? I'm tempted to buy one from Medion UK and ship it to Australia. It's an 11.6" 2 in 1, like the HP Pavilion 11 X2, but with an HD screen and a 500GB HDD in addition to the 64gb SSD. They seem really tempting, and they're dirt cheap (349 pounds, going up to 379 in... 19 hours time), but I'm worried about the N2910 instead of a Bay Trail Atom processor - it seems slightly slower and has a higher power use. Also, is 2GB RAM enough? There's a 4GB version floating around Europe, but I can't find it in the UK.

http://www.medion.com/gb/prod/MEDIO...5&wt_cc3=P2211T

Technical details

CPU: Intel® Celeron® processor N2910
Operating system (OEM version):

Windows 8.1:
Clock Frequency: 1.6GHz
Memory size: 2GB
Hard disk capacity: 500GB
Screen size: 29,5 cm (11,6")
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
LED Backlight: Yes
Graphic: Intel® HD Graphics
Sound:Now enjoy Dolby Surround Sound anytime and anywhere – in notebook and tablet modes
With 2 loudspeakers and Dolby® Advanced Audio™
Miscellaneous:
Internal memory – 64 GB flash memory and 500 GB HDD
USB 3.0 - the data turbo
Multi-card reader for microSD / SDHC-/SDXC-Speicherkarten (memory card not included)
Integrated front-facing camera and microphone
Orientation & Brightness Sensors
MEDION ® clickpad
MEDION ® Solid Keyboard

Battery

Battery cells: 2
Battery Duration: 10h

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Finally, someone has released the best case ever form factor for the DV8P:

http://www.amazon.com/Exact-Buckler-Series-Slim-Fit-Multi-angle/dp/B00HHKLAYG

I'm going to keep the bt keyboard from before, but sell off the folio. It just never felt good in the hands.

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

OldPueblo posted:

Finally, someone has released the best case ever form factor for the DV8P:

http://www.amazon.com/Exact-Buckler-Series-Slim-Fit-Multi-angle/dp/B00HHKLAYG

I'm going to keep the bt keyboard from before, but sell off the folio. It just never felt good in the hands.

How inconsiderate of them when my order for that ISVN case thingy arrives tomorrow from amazon! What timing!

I knew that there was no HDMI out when I bought the thing, but I can imagine a grim dark future in which I actually want to project content onto another screen. Does anyone have experience with the DV8 and Miracast? Looking on Amazon there's one by Netgear for $70, and another one from Tronsmart that looks like it's from China. Neither is well reviewed (3 stars), but I'm hoping that that's just because the manual is badly written and people couldn't figure out how to set it up, rather than a problem with the actual product (or worse, the tablet!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

How inconsiderate of them when my order for that ISVN case thingy arrives tomorrow from amazon! What timing!

I knew that there was no HDMI out when I bought the thing, but I can imagine a grim dark future in which I actually want to project content onto another screen. Does anyone have experience with the DV8 and Miracast? Looking on Amazon there's one by Netgear for $70, and another one from Tronsmart that looks like it's from China. Neither is well reviewed (3 stars), but I'm hoping that that's just because the manual is badly written and people couldn't figure out how to set it up, rather than a problem with the actual product (or worse, the tablet!)

If I recall there were speed bumps during initial release, but I recall seeing posts from various people that got it working after some driver/firmware updates I think. Keep in mind technically you could just rely on DLNA if you have the right gear to send it to, and stuff is in the right format. If you want to project actual desktop stuff then yeah miracast.

Also case arrived, is perfect. I found not having this case style actually made me use it less because I couldn't prop it up, and the Dell folio case was too bulky/wobbly/bad angle.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 29, 2014

• Locked thread