Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Mu Zeta posted:

Arnold Vinick is one of my favorite characters and Aaron Sorkin had nothing to do with him. Alan Alda also won an Emmy for it.

I'd go even further and say that Sorkin wouldn't have been able to write Vinick as great as he turned out to be. Sorkin's "good" republicans, whether it's Ainsley Hayes or Will McAvoy, nearly always suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Alan Alda could probably work around even Sorkin's writing of republican characters and get an Emmy.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

thexerox123 posted:

I think one of my issues the first time that I watched it was that I really didn't get into the idea of Matt Santos as a potential President... this time, though, I appreciated the fact that while I did like Vinick a lot more at the start of the arc, they managed to slowly sell me on Santos before the end... which works if you stick with it, since it matches the arc of his campaign. Once you accept that in the later seasons, the show is more about this new campaign instead of the Bartlet administration, the story is quite interesting to watch. And in the end, I feel like they did also wrap up the plot/emotional threads for the Bartlet administration very well in the final season.

It's also a less bold concept in a post-Obama world.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It freaks me out how much Santos is Obama and Vinick is McCain.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TheBigBad posted:

It's also a less bold concept in a post-Obama world.

Well, my first time watching The West Wing was in a post-Obama world, so I can't speak to that. It wasn't anything to do with that, I just found him kind of tepid compared to Vinick, and didn't watch far enough to see that it was really just the starting point for his story arc.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 27, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

It should because they were! It's pure coincidence both ended up running in 08 after West Wing ended.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Even a lot of the campaign stuff, like McCain being dragged to the right by the party, and feeling like a piece of poo poo for it (but now McCain has dragged himself to the right so there's no accounting for taste). I mean, what are the odds that the writers just pluck two guys from politics and have them run for president, and then 4 years later they actually run for president?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Well, Josh Lyman was originally based on Rahm Emmanuel, so basing Barak Obama on Santos just completes the circle :v:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

FISHMANPET posted:

there was an interview with one of the show runners long before that election campaign where he explicitly referenced Obama and McCain as the inspiration behind Santos and Vinnic.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

FISHMANPET posted:

Except Vinick is cool and McCain is an idiot hawk not an elder statesman.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Mu Zeta posted:

Arnold Vinick is one of my favorite characters and Aaron Sorkin had nothing to do with him. Alan Alda also won an Emmy for it.

In all honesty Vinick winning the election would have been the better option if there was ever any discussion about a Season 8. The writers and producers have both confirmed and denied that the original plan was to have Vinick win, but that was scrapped when John Spencer died. If there was ever a plan to keep going, having a totally new administration would have been a good reboot, and you could still bring the original cast in for guest shots.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
I had an idea last night when talking to some friends about The West Wing that it would be pretty neat if they made a new series following Josh as a mayor of a major city. Since he`s pretty much based off Rahm Emanuel it would be an idea to come back to his character after he`s been Chief of Staff to President Santos for a term or two and instead of remaining in that sort of position or taking a role as a Democratic Party "elder" he takes public office.

Then again, I`m not sure the show would work quite as well these days, but I figured you folks in this thread would appreciate the thought!

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

James R posted:

I had an idea last night when talking to some friends about The West Wing that it would be pretty neat if they made a new series following Josh as a mayor of a major city. Since he`s pretty much based off Rahm Emanuel it would be an idea to come back to his character after he`s been Chief of Staff to President Santos for a term or two and instead of remaining in that sort of position or taking a role as a Democratic Party "elder" he takes public office.

Then again, I`m not sure the show would work quite as well these days, but I figured you folks in this thread would appreciate the thought!

Pitch it to NBC, they are desperate...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Bradley Whitford's occupied on ABC.

I like to think of him as an older pre Josh Lyman anyway. After his job in the white house, he goes back to being a lawyer, marries a couple women, has some kids, ends up with a trophy wife, etc etc.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Send in Sam..

James R
Dec 22, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Bradley Whitford's occupied on ABC.

I like to think of him as an older pre Josh Lyman anyway. After his job in the white house, he goes back to being a lawyer, marries a couple women, has some kids, ends up with a trophy wife, etc etc.

I had no idea he was in anything on television post-Studio-60. Oops!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

James R posted:

I had no idea he was in anything on television post-Studio-60. Oops!

You're telling me you haven't seen The Good Guys? :psyduck:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

James R posted:

Wasn't the whole point of the show to live in a fantasy land where Bush didn't exist?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

JohnSherman posted:

You're telling me you haven't seen The Good Guys? :psyduck:

If you haven't seen this you're missing out.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Waltzing Along posted:

Wasn't the whole point of the show to live in a fantasy land where Bush didn't exist?

More like a world where a Democratic President doesn't get his dick sucked on the reg in the oval office.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Victor Vermis posted:

More like a world where a Democratic President doesn't get his dick sucked on the reg in the oval office.

I don't know- Abby seems like fun.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
I dunno. He was a stickler for the dignity of the office, but I can kinda see him and Abby going at it in front of the Remington.

Edit: See? It's not just me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Abby'd be down for it, but you know he'd sperg out about the history of the desk or whatever for the whole time.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Okay, and a world where a Democratic President and his wife have a loving relationship that isn't likely held together by sheer political necessity.

The good seasons of West Wing are obviously alt-history 1990s -for lack of a time machine if nothing else.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Abby'd be down for it, but you know he'd sperg out about the history of the desk or whatever for the whole time.

It's funny how at the end of third season Sam gets inappropriate more than once in the office and then later in the series Jed gets super randy when Abby is away too long.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TheBigBad posted:

It's funny how at the end of third season Sam gets inappropriate more than once in the office and then later in the series Jed gets super randy when Abby is away too long.

I remember that scene. "It's been three and a half weeks...do these curtains close?"

Also, seeing Charlie squirm as he writes down Abbey's message was funny as hell.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 31, 2014

James R
Dec 22, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

I remember that scene. "It's been three and a half weeks...do these curtains close?"

Also, seeing Charlie squirm as he writes down Abbey's message was funny as hell.

Wasn't that after he was shot etc and was in recovery?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Holy poo poo, Leo is in the first episode of Law & Order, from 1990. He looks so young.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

FISHMANPET posted:

Holy poo poo, Leo is in the first episode of Law & Order, from 1990. He looks so young.

First scene in "Wargames" too, talking about the sweet pot he smoked before he fails to launch the missile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1I7rGsr2KE

FetusSlapper fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 3, 2014

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
Hey gang,
Me and my buddies have been talking about map projections and, well, you all know where I'm going with this.
How standalone is "somebody going to emergency"? Can I show it to them without them knowing Sam from Toby and have them fall in love with the show, or does the episode really not make a lot of sense without 1.5 seasons worth of character development?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

shelper posted:

Hey gang,
Me and my buddies have been talking about map projections and, well, you all know where I'm going with this.
How standalone is "somebody going to emergency"? Can I show it to them without them knowing Sam from Toby and have them fall in love with the show, or does the episode really not make a lot of sense without 1.5 seasons worth of character development?

It's really, really stand-alone if I recall correctly, there's virtually no ongoing plot running through it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You could also just show them the map projection scene and then the pilot.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

You could also just show them the map projection scene and then the pilot.

Yeah, if that doesn't make them fall in love with the show, you probably shouldn't hang out with them anymore.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Should definitely unfriend them on social media.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
Aaron Sorkin presents "The Foodroom"

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

THAT's why he left The Good Wife!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
An article with a bunch of interesting interview snippets.

quote:

WHITFORD: The hours on that show were so bad. I mean, just horrible. I remember going to Tommy and saying to him, "The invisible carnage of the unf—ed wives and the children not being read to is just wafting out."

quote:

SCHIFF: I pitched an idea to both to them: "You know what would be amazing? If we lost [the election]. Just imagine. No one would be expecting it. We would lose and we're gone. That's the end of it." Tommy said that was actually an amazing idea but the network and studio would never go for it because they have to make their money back.

quote:

WHITFORD: Josh was the perverse one on set. He'd set everybody's iPod to Mandarin, or you'd be reading a book on set and the last four pages are torn out. And he had no sense of proportion. One day I am doing a scene and there's a big crowd of people and Jimmy Smits comes over and he hugs me and goes, "I love you too, man. And those flowers were amazing and the letter means so much to me." Josh had snuck into my trailer, gotten my stationary and written a vaguely homoerotic thing to Jimmy about working together.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
That third snippet. :stare:

All of a sudden, putting Josh Malina in the "In Memoriam" video at the SAG Awards doesn't seem all that out of proportion.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

JohnSherman posted:

That third snippet. :stare:

All of a sudden, putting Josh Malina in the "In Memoriam" video at the SAG Awards doesn't seem all that out of proportion.

As far as some of us are concerned, he still belongs there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I was ready to go to bed but started reading this article, then I had to go watch the two cathedrals & 20 hours clips.

• Locked thread