Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Strudel Man posted:

Why on earth would "the establishment" care about doing that.

Strudel Man posted:

Indeed. Nobody's attitude about our present engagements, or those we're likely to be involved in in the future, is going to be altered one scintilla by a minor tidying-up of the image of world war I.

You're speaking from a hell of a lot of ignorance here.

It's incontrovertible that the British government and the BBC, aided by the right-wing print media, have been engaged in an effort to do that - I'm not saying it's a concerted conspiracy but it's happening. Year on year, the Remembrance Day ceremonies have become more jingoistic; the tenor of the entire thing has shifted from commemoration to a celebration of the 'heroic' soldiers in Afghanistan. Branches of the Royal British Legion have started handing out t-shirts for kids saying 'Future Soldier'. The education minister, Michael Gove, keeps speaking at length about how there is an extreme left-wing Marxist stranglehold on education at all levels (I'm not even putting words in his mouth here) and that we need to re-assess World War One as a glorious justified fight for 'liberal democracy' and freedom fought entirely by 'conscious believers' in the rightness of their cause.

Why are they doing this? Ideological reasons (especially Gove, who's a total fruitcake) and as an aspect of the increasingly militaristic attitudes in this country, I'd say. But regardless of why they're doing it, it's happening. Sneering about it because I used the phrase 'the establishment' to describe precisely that doesn't change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

They're doing this because it takes 100 years for everyone to forget how horrible and pointless total war is, and the usual interests can once again drum up jingoism and militarism so the people will back whatever horrible slaughters serve the commercial interests of the moneyed classes.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
They're doing it because they're personally military fetishists and actually believe it. Not everything in the world is a scheme, for god's sake.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

John Charity Spring posted:

You're speaking from a hell of a lot of ignorance here.

It's incontrovertible that the British government and the BBC, aided by the right-wing print media, have been engaged in an effort to do that - I'm not saying it's a concerted conspiracy but it's happening. Year on year, the Remembrance Day ceremonies have become more jingoistic; the tenor of the entire thing has shifted from commemoration to a celebration of the 'heroic' soldiers in Afghanistan. Branches of the Royal British Legion have started handing out t-shirts for kids saying 'Future Soldier'. The education minister, Michael Gove, keeps speaking at length about how there is an extreme left-wing Marxist stranglehold on education at all levels (I'm not even putting words in his mouth here) and that we need to re-assess World War One as a glorious justified fight for 'liberal democracy' and freedom fought entirely by 'conscious believers' in the rightness of their cause.

Why are they doing this? Ideological reasons (especially Gove, who's a total fruitcake) and as an aspect of the increasingly militaristic attitudes in this country, I'd say. But regardless of why they're doing it, it's happening. Sneering about it because I used the phrase 'the establishment' to describe precisely that doesn't change that.

Meanwhile the ability of the UK to project force outside of its borders is slightly above that of Iran, and if Argentina decided to take over the Falklands tomorrow Cameron would have zero options outside of begging the Americans for help. So why ramp up the jingoism? :iiam:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

They're doing it because they're personally military fetishists and actually believe it. Not everything in the world is a scheme, for god's sake.

People don't scheme to be jingoistic history-ignoring fuckwits but they are and it sucks. Especially when they produce a huge amount of media.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Oh I'm sure the person who wrote that drivel is personally a military fetishist fuckwit. I'm sure he would not benefit personally from war, in fact I bet a real war would ruin him. That has nothing to do with why the owners of the media relentlessly push pro military messages though, and why fuckwits like him get center stage.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

This letter to the Wall Street Journal has an interesting theory about the end goal of those who don't love the rich:

quote:

Regarding your editorial "Censors on Campus" (Jan. 18): Writing from the epicenter of progressive thought, San Francisco, I would call attention to the parallels of fascist Nazi Germany to its war on its "one percent," namely its Jews, to the progressive war on the American one percent, namely the "rich."

From the Occupy movement to the demonization of the rich embedded in virtually every word of our local newspaper, the San Francisco Chronicle, I perceive a rising tide of hatred of the successful one percent. There is outraged public reaction to the Google buses carrying technology workers from the city to the peninsula high-tech companies which employ them. We have outrage over the rising real-estate prices which these "techno geeks" can pay. We have, for example, libelous and cruel attacks in the Chronicle on our number-one celebrity, the author Danielle Steel, alleging that she is a "snob" despite the millions she has spent on our city's homeless and mentally ill over the past decades.

This is a very dangerous drift in our American thinking. Kristallnacht was unthinkable in 1930; is its descendent "progressive" radicalism unthinkable now?

This was written by Mr. Tom Perkins, founder of Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers. There are a few points to disagree on, let's start with how in 1930s Germany the Jewish population didn't have quite the same levels of political power and influence as the organizers of Kristallnacht. Also the super-rich aren't an ethnic/religious minority.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

By that reasoning couldn't we turn any movement or attitude towards any group of people or organization into a Holocaust analogy?

I wish we could ban people from talking about history unless they passed a test or something.

e: "Put child molesters in jail? You know who else imprisoned a small group of people? Hitler. Why are you hating on successful pedophiles?"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xombie posted:

In other words, they had no independence. Which in real life is a guaranteed way to stunt your children's emotional growth, because it isn't what real life is like. I've never met anyone who grew up in a household like this that were very well-adjusted adults.

Unfortunately, if you're wealthy it is entirely possible to live your entire life as an emotionally stunted person who makes morally questionable decisions without it ever having much of adverse effect.

Mojo Threepwood posted:

This letter to the Wall Street Journal has an interesting theory about the end goal of those who don't love the rich:

This was written by Mr. Tom Perkins, founder of Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers. There are a few points to disagree on, let's start with how in 1930s Germany the Jewish population didn't have quite the same levels of political power and influence as the organizers of Kristallnacht. Also the super-rich aren't an ethnic/religious minority.

I would unironically not have much of a problem with rioting targeting the rich. While there are a number of better ways to deal with the situation, it would at least be better than the status quo where a large portion of the working class like and support the same people who exploit them.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 25, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Mojo Threepwood posted:

You've found us out, Tom Perkins, but it's nothing so monstrous. We just want their homes so we can house the poor and homeless. What's that, where will the rich people live? Ohoho, don't worry Tom, don't worry.

:unsmigghh:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Is Danielle Steel really the biggest celebrity in San Francisco :psyduck:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Is Danielle Steel really the biggest celebrity in San Francisco :psyduck:

When I looked up Steel to see a picture of her, she looked exactly as I imagined she would look.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Armyman25 posted:

All the kids were required to take every Advanced Placement class there was. We did not let entrance scores be an impediment. We went to the school and demanded our kids be let in. Then we, as parents, spent the time to ensure they had the understanding to pass the class. After the first child, the school learned that we kept our promise that the kids could handle the AP classes.

So wait, despite 2 hours of mandatory study time every night, after the first child failed the AP entrance exams, your focus was not on preparing the other 11 that followed to pass the entrance exams, but rather to argue with the administration for every one of your kids to be let in and then ensure they passed? :psyduck: I wonder how they scored on the actual AP tests, (the whole point of putting your kids in AP class) since they seemed to suck at test taking. Definitely STDH.txt.

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Well, misplaced self-identification aside, isn't he basically saying that we, the not rich, want to put the rich and their supporters up against a wall? I can certainly support that (figuratively speaking). Do these people not get that it's not the fact of having money, but the attitudes and actions towards those who don't that we have a problem with?

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 27, 2014

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

My Q-Face posted:

Well, misplaced self-identification aside, isn't he basically saying that we, the not rich, want to put the rich and their supporters up against a wall? I can certainly support that (figuratively speaking). Do these people not get that it's not the fact of having money, but the attitudes and actions towards those who don't that we have a problem with?

I don't know about you but when the richest countries in the world, all of whom have only been getting richer the past decades, have massive increased wealth concentrations on the one hand while having a growing poverty problem on the other, it's also the fact that they have all the loving money that is the problem to me.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

My Q-Face posted:

So wait, despite 2 hours of mandatory study time every night, after the first child failed the AP entrance exams, your focus was not on preparing the other 11 that followed to pass the entrance exams, but rather to argue with the administration for every one of your kids to be let in and then ensure they passed? :psyduck: I wonder how they scored on the actual AP tests, (the whole point of putting your kids in AP class) since they seemed to suck at test taking. Definitely STDH.txt.

On the off chance it did happen, the reason the school let their kids into AP classes after failing entrance tests wasn't "We had proven we could drive a kid to succeed in that environment", it was "Jesus gently caress, another one of their kids failed an entrance exam, now they're going to come scream at us until they're blue in the face again. gently caress it, let them in."

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

I don't know about you but when the richest countries in the world, all of whom have only been getting richer the past decades, have massive increased wealth concentrations on the one hand while having a growing poverty problem on the other, it's also the fact that they have all the loving money that is the problem to me.

"Having all the money" is part of the attitude I'm talking about. I don't begrudge anybody having a hundren million dollars. I begrudge them having a hundred million dollars and then doing their damnedest to slash taxes and government services and fighting like hell to prevent things like universal health care and food stamps.

The common thread among the desperate rich is that we hate them just for being rich. It's like someone said of Kelly LeBrock's "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful": I don't hate you because you're beautiful, I hate you because you're conceited enough to say that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

thefncrow posted:

On the off chance it did happen, the reason the school let their kids into AP classes after failing entrance tests wasn't "We had proven we could drive a kid to succeed in that environment", it was "Jesus gently caress, another one of their kids failed an entrance exam, now they're going to come scream at us until they're blue in the face again. gently caress it, let them in."

I don't know, at my school you were required to have gotten at least a B in whatever subject the previous year to be allowed to sign up for the AP version of it, but if you didn't qualify all you had to do to get in AP anyway was to have your parents sign a form saying they understand it's a college level class so if you fail they can't come to the school later and ask "well why did you let my kid take such a hard class?"

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

My Q-Face posted:

"Having all the money" is part of the attitude I'm talking about. I don't begrudge anybody having a hundren million dollars. I begrudge them having a hundred million dollars and then doing their damnedest to slash taxes and government services and fighting like hell to prevent things like universal health care and food stamps.

The common thread among the desperate rich is that we hate them just for being rich. It's like someone said of Kelly LeBrock's "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful": I don't hate you because you're beautiful, I hate you because you're conceited enough to say that.
That's the fundamental thing that the Fox News types fail (or just refuse) to understand. I'm sure some people hate the rich just because they're rich, but there are a heck of a lot of rich people who do bad things, not to mention corporations that in human terms act like blatant sociopaths. But of course the Fox & Friends guys had to dismiss it as mere jealousy by lazy poors.

I liked how the GOP acted like the accusations of "vulture capitalism" against Romney were unfounded liberal propaganda rather than stuff his Republican opponents threw around in the primaries.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Most people don't talk ill of Gates like they do Koch brothers and the such because he uses his money to help people not control the government so he can have even more money .

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Guilty Spork posted:

That's the fundamental thing that the Fox News types fail (or just refuse) to understand. I'm sure some people hate the rich just because they're rich, but there are a heck of a lot of rich people who do bad things, not to mention corporations that in human terms act like blatant sociopaths. But of course the Fox & Friends guys had to dismiss it as mere jealousy by lazy poors.

I don't know about rich but all wealthy people either do or have done bad things to get wealthy in the first place. Either that or get born into it, but don't worry, they probably did or are doing bad things too. We can handwring all we want but when it comes down to it, yes the problem is the loving money.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

I don't know about rich but all wealthy people either do or have done bad things to get wealthy in the first place. Either that or get born into it, but don't worry, they probably did or are doing bad things too. We can handwring all we want but when it comes down to it, yes the problem is the loving money.

Does your view apply even to highly paid professionals, like doctors?

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

If I found a way to get rich I would stop caring about wealth inequality faster than I could say "clean my toilet, plebe."

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Snowman Crossing posted:

If I found a way to get rich I would stop caring about wealth inequality faster than I could say "clean my toilet, plebe."

post/avatar

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

Does your view apply even to highly paid professionals, like doctors?

Difference between rich and wealthy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

Difference between rich and wealthy.

Those are actually synonyms, but I think I see what he was getting at now.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Those are actually synonyms, but I think I see what he was getting at now.

There is something some comedian said about the difference between rich and wealthy...

Chris Rock posted:

Shaq is rich. The white man who signs his check … is wealthy. "Ah, here you go, Shaq. Go buy yourself a bouncing car. Bling, bling!"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I think this is a good time to remind everyone of the term HENRY (High Earner Not Rich Yet), and then go gouge my eyes out.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

LeJackal posted:

There is something some comedian said about the difference between rich and wealthy...

He was talking about investing in that bit, and that's the real difference. Rich is "has a high income, reasonable assets", Wealthy is "Enough money invested to live off the dividends."

Larry David has over $400 Million dollars and would never have to work another day in his life. Who exactly did he screw over to get that? JK Rowling, George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg are billionaires, who did they screw over (besides your childhood memories)?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Whom did they screw over? The workers in the publishing and entertainment industries who do the essential work to bring their works to the public at large yet don't receive a living wage, that's whom.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That's not even counting any back taxes any of them owe. Or offshored money. Or the systematic reduction in tax rates on the very wealthy combined with the removal and/or limiting of the inheritance and capital gains taxes.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Whom did they screw over? The workers in the publishing and entertainment industries who do the essential work to bring their works to the public at large yet don't receive a living wage, that's whom.

Okay, yeah, I forgot about Lucas running off to Australia so he didn't have to deal with SAG.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
A letter to the editor in my local newspaper this morning (The Recorder, Greenfield, MA):

“Socialism leads to slavery at the hands of the government. Why? Because one becomes totally dependent on government to provide its many people with health care, food, and many social services to the poor and sometimes to the undeserving. Its far-reaching grasp grows in a patch of ignorance and greed. Some undeserving individuals, without a grimace of restraint, will “work the system” in the leisure of life’s evening, getting paid for untrue physical difficulties while enjoying the taxpayer’s money.
Incurably afflicted with their own antics of avarice they gloat in humorous frog-face smugness of takers. Their aim in life is to gain by deceit, not appreciation for work well done. Without a cloud on their brow they cash the government’s checks and whistle that they got away with it, not realizing their own spirit is supremely critical to their eternal salvation. With no badge of shame connected to the handout, they have convinced themselves that they are disabled. To the apparently sympathetic social worker who views the problem with generous compassion, it’s a done deal. The horror on the horizon is that once enslaved to taking, an individual lives in contempt of capitalism and will be told what to do and what one cannot do. Then the situation becomes prickly and scrubby like an unshaven chin. Revolution follows. This is the horror on the horizon.”

I’m in love with this letter, not only for the insane slippery slope of socialism leading to slavery and revolution, but also the beautiful use of language (antics of avarice! Frog-faced smugness!). Truly a masterpiece of madness.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Odonata posted:

Frog-faced smugness!

:frogc00l:

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Odonata posted:

I’m in love with this letter, not only for the insane slippery slope of socialism leading to slavery and revolution, but also the beautiful use of language (antics of avarice! Frog-faced smugness!). Truly a masterpiece of madness.

I thought if we were going to be actually socialist we had to have a revolution first anyway. I know he's talking about "socialism" (a.k.a. what the Kenyan Muslim antichrist in the White House wants), but still.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Hahaha WSJ is now defending this bullshit: "Perkinsnacht: Liberal Vituperation Makes Our Letter Writer's Point."

quote:

While claiming to be outraged at the Nazi reference, the critics seem more incensed that Mr. Perkins dared to question the politics of economic class warfare. The boys at Bloomberg View—we read them since no one else does—devoted an entire editorial to inequality and Mr. Perkins's "unhinged Nazi rant." Others denounced him for defending his former wife Danielle Steel, and even for owning too many Rolex watches.

Maybe the critics are afraid that Mr. Perkins is onto something about the left's political method.

quote:

The liberals aren't encouraging violence, but they are promoting personal vilification and the abuse of government power to punish political opponents.

http://www.popehat.com/2014/01/30/your-criticism-of-my-holocaust-analogy-is-like-yet-another-holocaust/

http://boingboing.net/2014/01/30/wall-street-journal-defends-na.html

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm always fascinated when media figures make circulation or viewership figures a part of their slam.

WSJ posted:

The boys at Bloomberg View—we read them since no one else does—devoted an entire editorial to inequality and Mr. Perkins's "unhinged Nazi rant."

It's like radio hosts going after each other. Either your argument is correct or it isn't. What educated person finds argumentum ad populum appealing?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

SedanChair posted:

I'm always fascinated when media figures make circulation or viewership figures a part of their slam.

It's like radio hosts going after each other. Either your argument is correct or it isn't. What educated person finds argumentum ad populum appealing?

I've found pretty much any argumentum ad murus platea to be false or comically poor.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

joeburz posted:

I've found pretty much any argumentum ad murus platea to be false or comically poor.

What? I don't think that's a real phrase.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My Q-Face posted:

Eh, I actually do begrudge them having 100 million dollars. I see the situation like this analogy:

There are 100 people, and 10 of those 100 are randomly selected to participate in a game*. The top 3 of this game are given 100 million dollars, with the rest of the 10 receiving less (but still a lot of) money. Among the remaining 90, about 1/3 are living in dire poverty and don't have reliable access to food or healthcare.

How would you feel about the folks who choose to remain millionaires in this situation? I absolutely believe that being rich is evil. It is impossible to justify owning great wealth in a society that #1 isn't fair and #2 has millions (billions if you're talking about the world) people living in poverty or even starving. While it might be necessary to work with some wealthy individuals/groups for pragmatic reasons, that doesn't mean they aren't bad people.

As a side note, I think that there's a sliding scale when it comes to how wrong being wealthy is. While someone who makes $300,000 a year and chooses to use most of the money on him/herself certainly isn't a good person, it's far less detestable than someone who has tens/hundreds of millions of dollars. It's about the amount of effort it would take for someone to part from their money. Someone with 100 million dollars could - without any noticeable decrease in quality of life - give away 90 million at any given moment**. The fact that they choose not to makes them far more repugnant than someone in the middle class not donating $100.

*The game here is just meant to point out that, while skill/ability are a factor (in this case winning the - presumably fair - game), most people aren't even given the option of competing.

**I know that a huge portion - probably most - of the wealth the very rich possess isn't necessarily liquid, but when you're that rich you could simply hire people to do the work of selling off your assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Ogmius815 posted:

What? I don't think that's a real phrase.

Because I just used ghetto latin for wall and large city street

• Locked thread