Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

KingEup posted:

Anyone remember DEA chief Michele Leonhart? She's the worthless drug war profiteering fucker who said that cannabis was as dangerous as heroin.

The hemp flag again?

...sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
This administration just doesn't understand the science of asset forfeiture!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

quote:

She was particularly frustrated with the fact that, according to her, the White House participated in a softball game with a pro-legalization group.

What? Like, literal softball?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Doc Hawkins posted:

What? Like, literal softball?

The War on Softball is big business.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Needs more puns: White House softball team smoked by pot lobby’s bats

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

KingEup posted:

Anyone remember DEA chief Michele Leonhart? She's the worthless drug war profiteering fucker who said that cannabis was as dangerous as heroin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwaXsQY6Eg

What a truly disgusting piece of poo poo this person is. gently caress the innocent people getting hurt WHAT ABOUT MY PAYCHECK.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I admit it. I have lost the war on Cannabis. The news, the govt, -everyone- calls it Pot, Marijuana, etc etc. Its CANNABIS (Sativa) and (Indica). You may find this hard to believe but I don't smoke it. (I did inhale in the past, really who hasn't).

Whiskey, now thats another story!

But drat it, we don't call Alcohol 'Hooch' 'Booze' and whatnot when reporting on it as professional journalists.

Whatever... enjoy your new tax revenue and less folks in jail for... POT MARIJUANA and whatever nickname you want.

Argh......

P.S Nancy Grace is an idiot saying 'pot heads' inject POT and go on killing sprees. She forgot to mention it was on an XBOX or Playstation from the couch, but hey...she's raking in the millions so who am I to argue with that dolt.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

How did newspapers refer to illegal alcohol back in the day? "Moonshine" isn't exactly the most professional-sounding word.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Doc Hawkins posted:

How did newspapers refer to illegal alcohol back in the day? "Moonshine" isn't exactly the most professional-sounding word.

Bootleg Alcohol.

Also you can bet your rear end that some hack reporter back in the day used a line like 'Bootleggers will be over the moon now prohibition overturned.'

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The jokes are quickly becoming the most annoying aspect of legalization for me. I do lots consulting work for mostly New York based clients and invariably when I meet someone new in a meeting or conference call and they find out I'm based in Colorado it's the same "Ohh weed is legal there now man?! Are you stoned right now HUU HUUUH HEUEE HUUUH HUUEEE!" "Oh like Rocky Mountain High John Denver is it 4:20 there yet? HEUUEE HUEUU HUEUEU HEUUEUE" jokes more often than not. It's getting really tiring.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Yeah, I remember seeing some kind of survey where people from out of state were asked what they thought of when they thought of Colorado, and "weed," "marijuana," and "potheads" were all some of the most common results. I mean, sure, it's cool that we've legalized it...but I'm kind of dismayed that it's apparently one of the biggest parts of our identity right now. There's just so much more to this wonderful state, yet all anyone can think of when they think about Colorado is marijuana.

Here's hoping many more states legalize it soon, if for no other reason than so it can stop being such a big deal.

Also, the unwritten rule that every single article written about legalization must include at least one groan-worthy weed pun got old after like...three days.

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 26, 2014

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

quote:

This is a woman who has spent 33 years of her life fighting drug abuse in the DEA, her entire life.
Sorry you wasted your life.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pryor on Fire posted:

The jokes are quickly becoming the most annoying aspect of legalization for me. I do lots consulting work for mostly New York based clients and invariably when I meet someone new in a meeting or conference call and they find out I'm based in Colorado it's the same "Ohh weed is legal there now man?! Are you stoned right now HUU HUUUH HEUEE HUUUH HUUEEE!" "Oh like Rocky Mountain High John Denver is it 4:20 there yet? HEUUEE HUEUU HUEUEU HEUUEUE" jokes more often than not. It's getting really tiring.

Personally I'd deliver, in the most deadpan annoyed voice, "yes sir I literally cannot control myself and your compunction to make jokes about marijuana pales in comparison to my relentless quest to be blazed - legally now - at all hours of the day. I literally wear a weed CPAP when I sleep and I dream of Matthew Mcconaughey saying 'awrightawrightawright' in an unending loop. Now that we've shared our secrets about each other, what color underwear are you wearing, if any at all? I personally am wearing unbleached hemp skivvies and believe me when I tell you they are itchy. But it's okay because I am barely able to speak due to being so incredibly, unfathomably, blindingly high right now, at this hour of four twenty."

e: Or you could just say you're about 103 stories high and smoking the gently caress out.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

nooneofconsequence posted:

These people are so delusional that it wouldn't surprise me if they demanded reparations.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
What's worse is the proper spelling is: 'Mexican Spanish' marihuana

Oh well, common vernacular and all that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Herv posted:

What's worse is the proper spelling is: 'Mexican Spanish' marihuana

Oh well, common vernacular and all that.

Wasn't that spelling actually preferred by people like Leonhart, as it added a racist spin to the whole thing, lending the widely-held racial biases to the support of the pro-drug-war side?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

This has probably been covered somewhere in this big thread, but what is the definition of "intoxicated while driving" for marijuana in CO and WA? Are there blood level thresholds, or does having any detectable level on a test = "intoxicated"? Seems like a potentially thorny issue considering how long THC hangs around.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Zwabu posted:

This has probably been covered somewhere in this big thread, but what is the definition of "intoxicated while driving" for marijuana in CO and WA? Are there blood level thresholds, or does having any detectable level on a test = "intoxicated"? Seems like a potentially thorny issue considering how long THC hangs around.

There are blood level thresholds (which replace the previous "if we can find anything at all you get a DUI" standard). Washington, at least, sets the DUI threshold at 5 nanograms THC per milliliter of blood.

Also, THC doesn't hang around for long; otherwise you'd be high for days. Your body breaks it down into inactive metabolites, which do stick around for a long time; that's what drug tests look for. The chemicals specified in WA (and I think CO) state law are the ones that, if they're in your bloodstream at a sufficient concentration, will actually get you high.

There are some valid reasons to look at where the thresholds were placed - it's possible that long-term MMJ patients, and very heavy recreational users, will have developed a tolerance that means they might be at 5 ng/mL without much effect. This has been a very controversial topic, and unfortunately the less scrupulous folks in the MMJ industry tried to create confusion about what's detectable in a blood/urine test looking for "did you use marijuana in the past couple weeks?" versus "are you high right now?" in an effort to oppose legalization (never mind that the old standard for DUI was much worse in every possible way).

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

Herv posted:

But drat it, we don't call Alcohol 'Hooch' 'Booze' and whatnot when reporting on it as professional journalists.

We don't call it ethanol or ethyl alcohol on everyday speech either.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
His original claim isn't even true. The hooch one is lame but I still wanted to post the news article referring to hooch.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24978767/denver-sheriffs-deputy-faces-felonies-after-arrest-black
http://www.washingtonpost.com/going...e3a9_story.html
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/01/24/justin-bieber-arrest-boozing-underage-who-is-to-blame/
http://www.ptinews.com/news/4346916_Five-die-after-drinking-hooch.html

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

I apologize, there is lovely reporting on anything. Carry on.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

more friedman units posted:

This administration just doesn't understand the science of asset forfeiture!

I know it's been brought up before in this thread but, the biggest obstacle to marijuana legalization is the amount of money/profit made from keeping it illegal. Just ponder the term "prison industry". How can we call ourself a first world nation, a democracy, when we have an entire industry designed to put and keep people in prison. It's an immoral obscenity.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

radical meme posted:

I know it's been brought up before in this thread but, the biggest obstacle to marijuana legalization is the amount of money/profit made from keeping it illegal. Just ponder the term "prison industry". How can we call ourself a first world nation, a democracy, when we have an entire industry designed to put and keep people in prison. It's an immoral obscenity.

Or they can make all that money and not have to spend it back on keeping their jails up by having legal weed and selling it.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nooneofconsequence posted:

Testimony before congress today in the war on drugs: How do you ask a person to be the last one to die for a mistake?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The Denver County Fair is going all-in: http://www.denvercountyfair.org/pot-pavilion

Edit: ugh

quote:

Enter our Blue Ribbon Pot Competitions:

... snip ...
    Best Homemade Bong
    Best Homemade Roach Clip
    Best Tie-Dye
    Live Competition: Speed Rolling
    Live Competition: Dorito Eating Contest

Ulf fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 27, 2014

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Ulf posted:

The Denver County Fair is going all-in: http://www.denvercountyfair.org/pot-pavilion

Edit: ugh

Agree the last two are kind of dumb, but I don't see anything wrong with hand made crafts regardless of what they're used for.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

"Miami Herald posted:

A Florida constitutional amendment calling for medical marijuana will be decided by Florida voters in November now that the state Supreme Court ruled Monday that the proposed initiative and ballot summary aren't misleading.
A host of polls show Florida's measure would pass, with one survey showing support as high as 82 percent.

The 82% poll sounds fishy to me. Wouldn't that make Florida the most pro-MMJ state in the country? Another recent survey found a 65/23 split.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

platzapS posted:

The 82% poll sounds fishy to me. Wouldn't that make Florida the most pro-MMJ state in the country? Another recent survey found a 65/23 split.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/27/3896249/medical-marijuana-headed-to-florida.html

Came to post this, but yeah the poll is fishy and just the one with the largest support numbers they could find for the article. I cannot believe it's really going to be on the ballot, I thought we'd be the last state.

It'll be interesting to see how and where dispensaries pop up if this passes.

superjew fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 27, 2014

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are prices still stupidly high for recreational pot in Denver? I tried checking weedmaps but it seems they took the prices off for recreational and am wondering if the legal stores are colluding on prices.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

Guess what its like being Dutch.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

All things considered? "Pretty loving great," is my guess.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

ColoradoCleric posted:

Are prices still stupidly high for recreational pot in Denver? I tried checking weedmaps but it seems they took the prices off for recreational and am wondering if the legal stores are colluding on prices.

Depends on the store, but looks like the average rate for an eighth is around $61. whether you want to call that collusion or not is up to you, but this site ain't so bad for pricing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doc Hawkins posted:

All things considered? "Pretty loving great," is my guess.

Well, unless you don't like Zwarte Piet anyway.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

goodness posted:

Or they can make all that money and not have to spend it back on keeping their jails up by having legal weed and selling it.

But that misses the point. Much of the government, at least in the US, considers moving as much money as possible from the hands of the many to the hands of the very few, ie prison industry CEO's and shareholders, to be its sacred duty. There are a number of lobbyists to help them with this goal.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

f#a# posted:

Depends on the store, but looks like the average rate for an eighth is around $61. whether you want to call that collusion or not is up to you, but this site ain't so bad for pricing.

Hahahah no way does it stay at that price. It'll be half that by summer if not spring.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The first recreational dispensary in Northern Colorado (Garden City, which is essentially Greeley, to be specific) opened its doors last week, and since it's the only one in the Northern Colorado area (for now), it's engaging in some pretty good ol' fashioned price-gouging as well. $30 for a gram, $10 for a single pre-rolled joint. Yay :v:

I did get the "budtender" to split my one gram in two so I could have a straight saliva strain and a straight indica strain, so that was nice, at least; but $30/gram is still pretty outrageous, all things considered. Here's hoping that goes down soon, especially after the other two dispensaries in Garden City open for recreational sales sometime in March.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The first recreational dispensary in Northern Colorado (Garden City, which is essentially Greeley, to be specific) opened its doors last week, and since it's the only one in the Northern Colorado area (for now), it's engaging in some pretty good ol' fashioned price-gouging as well. $30 for a gram, $10 for a single pre-rolled joint. Yay :v:

I did get the "budtender" to split my one gram in two so I could have a straight saliva strain and a straight indica strain, so that was nice, at least; but $30/gram is still pretty outrageous, all things considered. Here's hoping that goes down soon, especially after the other two dispensaries in Garden City open for recreational sales sometime in March.

Grow your own! You guys have so many opportunities the rest of us plebians do not.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Is it kush or just reg? What's the quality here?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is it kush or just reg? What's the quality here?

Hopefully they are not selling "reg" in a store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

goodness posted:

Hopefully they are not selling "reg" in a store.

I would assume not, but as I don't have acccess to Colorado and haven't spoken to anyone from there, I don't know for sure.

• Locked thread