Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Time to read Zinn posted:

Post script: So much for the radfem belief that goddesses, that is, women gods, are more gentle than male gods. Another radfem belief hits the dust, I'm afraid.

What :psyduck:

e: author:

The fedora is strong with this one.

GROVER CURES HOUSE fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Hera fucks with Kevin Sorbo constantly, feminism disproved. ;smugfatfuck:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If anything, I'd expect popular MRA opinion to be that female gods were all motherly beings of healing and fertility.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

What :psyduck:

e: author:

The fedora is strong with this one.
He, too, wants a cushy job at the Jew York Slimes one day:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

fade5 posted:

Ah, the Bullworth solution, although I've never seen it referenced in a negative fashion like that. No squirming, my answer is a positive, happy

The bizarre world view that dumb comment gives is that white people are somehow being forced to have sex with non-whites

WHERE THE HELL'S MY FREE WHITE WOMAN, "anti-racism is codeword for anti-white" GUYS?!

guess i must've missed that offer... :(

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Time to read Zinn posted:

Post script: So much for the radfem belief that goddesses, that is, women gods, are more gentle than male gods. Another radfem belief hits the dust, I'm afraid."

What I find weirdest about this is, how many feminist groups (radical or otherwise) subscribe to this belief anyway? What's the point in bringing it up, except as a blatant strawman? (yes, I know the point of bringing it up is "blatant strawman")

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

comes along bort posted:

Sort of a tangent, but what's up with all these youtube liberal shows lately that consist of some dude in front of a crappy green screen backgrounds playing clips of republican saying a thing then rambling about it in mock disbelief or apoplexy? Sam Seder, Young Turks, that Pakman guy with the lazy eye, etc.

There's more serious policy discussion on The Majority Report and Ring of Fire than I have heard on just about any other podcast or radio show. I'm not sure what you guys are expecting really, I don't think a show sufficiently serious enough by D&D standards could attract enough viewers to actually make any money. If I'm wrong by all means point me to a show that is because I'd probably want to listen to it.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

MaxxBot posted:

There's more serious policy discussion on The Majority Report and Ring of Fire than I have heard on just about any other podcast or radio show. I'm not sure what you guys are expecting really, I don't think a show sufficiently serious enough by D&D standards could attract enough viewers to actually make any money. If I'm wrong by all means point me to a show that is because I'd probably want to listen to it.

Yeah,I think Majority Report is loving solid, Seder gets great guests and goes after establishment Dems almost daily.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Majorian posted:

What I find weirdest about this is, how many feminist groups (radical or otherwise) subscribe to this belief anyway? What's the point in bringing it up, except as a blatant strawman? (yes, I know the point of bringing it up is "blatant strawman")

Just a neckbeard who thinks he's the first person to have discovered the Hindi root of the word thug and now pwns the internet. It's pretty typical Dilbert because hey, there's no such thing as solipsism. But the type of guys who would be following him are of the same state of arrested development mindset, so they'll all agree that poof, so much for the feminazis. :hfive:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

menino posted:

Yeah,I think Majority Report is loving solid, Seder gets great guests and goes after establishment Dems almost daily.
I'm a big podcast guy and have started a few threads over time about podcast recommendations and Seder's always one that people suggest, so I download and listen and I agree on guests, but I really can't take him for very long, it turns out. His style is just too annoying to me personally for some weird reason. I wish I could get his guest list with the bastard child of like Chris Matthews (temperament) and Mark Ames (cynicism) asking questions or something.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

ReindeerF posted:

I'm a big podcast guy and have started a few threads over time about podcast recommendations and Seder's always one that people suggest, so I download and listen and I agree on guests, but I really can't take him for very long, it turns out. His style is just too annoying to me personally for some weird reason. I wish I could get his guest list with the bastard child of like Chris Matthews (temperament) and Mark Ames (cynicism) asking questions or something.

I mostly listen for the guests he has. His style doesn't bother me but I get why it's not for everyone.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I liked some of the bits Seder used to do (maybe he still does, but I haven't listened in years), like listening to a random minute of Rush's show and then spending a ten minute segment pointing out everything Rush was wrong about off the top of his head.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Joementum posted:

I liked some of the bits Seder used to do (maybe he still does, but I haven't listened in years), like listening to a random minute of Rush's show and then spending a ten minute segment pointing out everything Rush was wrong about off the top of his head.

Yeah he'll do it occasionally still, Random Rush. Just directly off the top of his head to whatever BS that happens to be spewing forth.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Seder is also tangentially responsible for the rise of podcasts in the last couple years because he unlocked the Air America studios for Maron to do the first several episodes of his podcast in.

Of course, the two of them were also responsible for Break Room Live, which can most charitably be described as a failed experiment.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

beatlegs posted:

Just lolling at whoever bought that worthless piece of crap painting for 100 g's. They might as well have set the money on fire.

It was probably some sort of money laundering deal with whatever groups were supporting him during the trial, so he could reclaim the money he told the judge he didn't have.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I really wouldn't be surprised if it's just racist piece of crap that also has a ton of money. Right now there are certainly people that have access to funds that they will never spend in a hundred lifetimes so why not float hundred grand to support someone for living the dream of killing an unarmed minority and having it ok'ed by the justice system.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Frank Rich has a great piece out today on the declining influence of Fox News, and dumps a little cold water on this thread's reason for existence.

quote:

Still, O’Reilly’s summation was predicated on an erroneous underlying assumption that few bother to question: In truth, Fox News has been defeated on the media battlefield—and on the political battlefield as well. Even the 73-year-old wizard of Fox, Roger Ailes, now in full Lear-raging-on-the-heath mode as ­portrayed in my colleague Gabriel ­Sherman’s definitive new biography, The Loudest Voice in the Room, seems to sense the waning of his power. The only people who seem not to know or accept Fox’s decline, besides its own audience, are ­liberals, including Barack Obama, whose White House mounted a short-lived, pointless freeze-out of Fox News in 2009, and who convinced himself that the network has shaved five points off his approval rating.

Ailes would like the president and everyone else to keep believing he has that clout. But these days Fox News is the loudest voice in the room only in the sense that a bawling baby is the loudest voice in the room. In being so easily bullied by Fox’s childish provocations, the left gives the network the attention on which it thrives and hands it power that it otherwise has lost. As the post-Obama era approaches, the energy spent combating Ailes might be better devoted to real political battles against more powerful adversaries—not to mention questioning the ideological slant of legitimate news operations like, say, 60 Minutes, which has recently given airtime to a fraudulent account of the murders at Benghazi and to a credulous puff piece on the NSA’s domestic surveillance.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I don't know that I buy "other news outlets are becoming more like Fox" as proof that Fox is losing influence.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The jist I got was that that Fox News is losing influence but liberals don't realize that and haven't shifted their focus which allows respected media like 60 Minutes to become the new place to propagate false, GOP talking points or do political damage control.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Radish posted:

The jist I got was that that Fox News is losing influence but liberals don't realize that and haven't shifted their focus which allows respected media like 60 Minutes to become the new place to propagate false, GOP talking points or do political damage control.

So in other words, the right (including Fox) has been yelling LIBERAL MEDIA!! long enough that it swayed coverage and now it's the left's turn.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nachos posted:

So in other words, the right (including Fox) has been yelling LIBERAL MEDIA!! long enough that it swayed coverage and now it's the left's turn.

Beaten by a country mile. Having other mainstream news on "Gee, Fox sure is having a hard time making a scandal stick to this White House. Won't they be pissed when WE do it!" is not a measure of Fox losing influence but how the well is so thoroughly poisoned that the only perceived relevance is in recycling Infowars-grade crap.

Speaking as a former news editor, the amount of big ledes that are routinely tossed into the memory hole is staggering.

-The larger, long-term impact on the 2008 crisis.
-The gerrymandering/vote suppression initiatives
-The corrupting nature of the congress>lobbying firm>think tank emplyment cycle
-The normalization of torture and increased levels of surveillance/repression in society

These and other get no real airplay. They'll get a mention now and then (the best way to bury something is to publish it all the way back in B19 and never pursue it again) or bring two Village talking heads to sound off each other, but never with any teeth or follow-up. The crazy RW drive to unearth Obama's birth certificate will never be mirrored by any big vehicle toward a proper subject.

That's not really due to evil conspiracies but because of the way the system is wired. Chasing stories with real teeth means pissing off backers/investors, losing access to sources, being labeled as a radical (which hurts your shares), legal costs up the wazoo as you are sued left and right. It's infinitely safer to just wait for someone to be caught sending dick pics or to do the cowardly Crossfire thing: "Are liberals secretly jerking off in your kid's Cheerios? This guy says yes, this one bloke says no! We're just asking questions and covering the controversy, not instigating anything!"

The exceptions are the little islands of personal style/opinion that hang on (ie, Rachel Maddow), and the direct mouthpieces of the upper management (Stossel, Cavuto, etc) that are more direct in burying the actual matters and selling the snake oil.

Fox could close its doors tomorrow, their ratings a flatline, and it'd still have won. Their standards have been normalized into the industry.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Radish posted:

That's a tiny part of it, but the main point is that everyone's already aware Fox News specifically is a partisan outlet (which is also why their audience tunes in almost exclusively to Fox News), which in turn has led to their audience stagnating. Accordingly they're rapidly aging (the median Fox News viewer age went up two years in 2013 to 68), and Ailes, reflecting the attitude of much of his audience, has little interest in embracing digital media. It's nothing anyone familiar with the ongoing balkanization of media overall doesn't already know, but the impact it has on right wing media isn't as well-covered. The right wing media audience is largely a product of their generation- meaning tv, print, and radio. As those outlets lose influence in general, their audience becomes increasingly isolated, leading to things like the shared belief that Romney had 2012 in the bag.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

comes along bort posted:

Frank Rich has a great piece out today on the declining influence of Fox News, and dumps a little cold water on this thread's reason for existence.

Maybe I'm missing something while reading this really quickly on a short lunch break but this article doesn't seem to be saying what it says it does. It's like "sure, Fox News has relatively great ratings, can dominate several consecutive news cycles with a single comment, has a devoted base of followers, and can even draw the attention of the president at times, but if people would just stop paying attention to them they'd be losing influence!"

Well no poo poo

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Joementum posted:

Dinesh D'Souza, who is single-handedly trying to prevent America from becoming an Islamofascist Caliphate, has been indicted for election fraud because he allegedly reimbursed donors to a 2012 Senate campaign, most likely Wendy Long's campaign in New York.

Good thing too because, as you can see, those extra dollars to the Long campaign really helped.

Got an email forward from a family member trying to spin it as persecution:

quote:

A Message from 2016 Co-Producer Gerald Molen

Dear Friends of Dinesh,

In America, we have a long tradition of not doing what is commonly done in too many other countries -- criminalizing dissent through the selective enforcement of the law. But that has seemingly changed in Obama's America.

Yesterday, I explained the politcally-motivated events that led to Dinesh's indictment on campaign-finance charges to the Hollywood Reporter. In the same article, I explained that the Feds have chosen to pursue this alleged minor violation in the same way the IRS targeted conservative Tea Party groups for retribution. In light of the way the IRS has been used to stifle dissent, this arrest should send shivers down the spines of all freedom-loving Americans.

Our production team for America has issued the following statement: "We believe this is an unfortunate misunderstanding arising out of Dinesh D'Souza's desire to help the uphill campaign of a friend. There was no intent to do anything illegal or corrupt in any way. This will have no impact on the film America, which will be released on the Fourth of July this year as previously announced. Filming is on schedule and D'Souza will continue to lead the enterprise."

Neither the filmmakers nor the American public can allow this prosecution to deter us from the film's release, and I am calling upon the American people to show their elected officials that this kind of selective prosecution will not stand by joining us at the box office.

I look forward to my good friend Dinesh being vindicated as we hold federal authorities accountable to enforce the law equally and without mind to their personal political agenda. You can leave your support on Dinesh's Facebook Page and with a #StandWithDinesh tweet.

As one insightful commenter wrote on the article in THR, Obama's DOJ is out to settle scores.

All my best,
Gerald R. (Jerry) Molen

It's so hard to find right wing views in the media. :qq:

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

clockwork sundial posted:

Got an email forward from a family member trying to spin it as persecution:

It's so hard to find right wing views in the media. :qq:

I clicked over to Dinesh's Facebook page, and I really wish I hadn't.

la mort dArthur
Dec 5, 2013
FN is running with the D'Souza charges being part of a pattern of administration retaliation against conservatives. Ted Cruz asks what if Michael Moore and Sean Penn got targeted, conveniently forgetting about charges against John Edwards and a Harry Reid donor.

They're also covering a startling confession from Hillary:

quote:

While Clinton was being frank with her audience, the moment could easily become the stuff of Republican ads should she choose to run in 2016. Mitt Romney was hammered in 2012 for allegedly "out of touch" comments, including one where he said he doesn't follow NASCAR closely, but has "great friends who are NASCAR team owners."

She hasn't driven a car in almost 20 years!

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

la mort dArthur posted:

FN is running with the D'Souza charges being part of a pattern of administration retaliation against conservatives. Ted Cruz asks what if Michael Moore and Sean Penn got targeted, conveniently forgetting about charges against John Edwards and a Harry Reid donor.

Because if the poor people she's supposedly out of touch with are known for anything it's their ownership and frequent usage of convenience machinery.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Because if the poor people she's supposedly out of touch with are known for anything it's their ownership and frequent usage of convenience machinery.

la mort dArthur posted:

This is almost peak "no conservative friendly news" time. MSNBC and other liberal leaning outlets are pissing honey from the sweet sweet nectar of watching the GOP destroy itself and the best Fox News can come up with is "deh, Hilary NASCAR whatever; liberals are mean and biased".

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

But what about their big white Escalades? :ohdear:

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

This, but unironically.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Remember that moment recently when O'Reilly bragged about 'covering wars with his pen'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiTVRABIPts

Well, apparently - he angered the guest so much with his bullshit disrespecting members of the military for demanding their constitutionally mandated religious freedom that the guest, the founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation told him 'gently caress you, Bill O'Reilly' before Bill shouted 'Cut that weasel's mic!' and that part of the segment didn't get aired.

More detail on that in this interview. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Btp2MZONow

Mikey Weinstein is a true American hero. :patriot:

Not simply for that, as this would be giving O'Reilly more credit than he deserves for his bullshit, but for a lot of other reasons.

The rest of the interview is mind-blowing and SCARY as gently caress, by the way. That 'Jesus Nuke' story is loving Dr. Strangelove level insanity right there... :stare:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 28, 2014

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

nachos posted:

The original "LIBERAL MEDIA!" charge was based on a belief that the media was liberal when in actuality it was simply journalism doing it's job. What the right has accomplished isn't simply "swaying coverage" - they've successfully destroyed journalism and created a new universal paradigm of factless, "truth doesn't take sides" centrist propaganda-enabling bullshit that has taken over the vast majority of newsmedia. Rather than try and "sway" influence, liberals should be fighting to restore basic journalism, but I have a feeling too much damage has been done.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

la mort dArthur posted:

Ted Cruz also posted a video on youtube of his uncut Meet The Press appearance where he brings up the "poor fellow that did the film that the President blamed Benghazi and the terrorist attacks on" right before talking about D'souza's persecution. It's pretty amazing. Some blogs are saying it was cut because the media doesn't want to criticize the president, but I think its more likely that it was cut because it makes Cruz sound nuts.

edit: here have a newsbusters link w/ transcripts and video:
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeffrey-meyer/2014/01/26/face-nation-edits-out-senator-cruz-condemning-obama-s-abuse-power#ixzz2rZ167RcB

Pead fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 28, 2014

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
That poor, innocent bank fraudster who broke his probation terms.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

The sky is blue, the grass is green and Rafael Edward Cruz is crazy

Spacedad posted:

Remember that moment recently when O'Reilly bragged about 'covering wars with his pen'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiTVRABIPts

Well, apparently - he angered the guest so much with his bullshit disrespecting members of the military for demanding their constitutionally mandated religious freedom that the guest, the founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation told him 'gently caress you, Bill O'Reilly' before Bill shouted 'Cut that weasel's mic!' and that part of the segment didn't get aired.

More detail on that in this interview. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Btp2MZONow

Mikey Weinstein is a true American hero. :patriot:

Not simply for that, as this would be giving O'Reilly more credit than he deserves for his bullshit, but for a lot of other reasons.

The rest of the interview is mind-blowing and SCARY as gently caress, by the way. That 'Jesus Nuke' story is loving Dr. Strangelove level insanity right there... :stare:

I had never heard the term "dominionist" until that interview on tyt. What exactly is that? Just a more radical branch ofchristianity or something? Because we have like 20 of those thanks to Modern Protestantism.

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 28, 2014

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Dominionists want to impose a conservative Christian interpretation of Biblical law on the United States, or at least want conservative Christians in political power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_Theology

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

The sky is blue, the grass is green and Rafael Edward Cruz is crazy

I had never heard the term "dominionist" until that interview on tyt. What exactly is that? Just a more radical branch ofchristianity or something? Because we have like 20 of those thanks to Modern Protestantism.

Its literal theocracy. The name comes from Genesis where God gives man "dominion" over the earth. Taking this to heart they believe only Christians should occupy positions of power. Its the reason you keep hearing "America is a Christian nation" all the time and why some people are so adamant about putting the 10 commandments in front of court houses.

It also leads to some weird belief about the environment and global warming, that since god gave the earth to us we should exploit it as much as possible. But that is really a tiny part of the whole picture.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

Dominionists want to impose a conservative Christian interpretation of Biblical law on the United States, or at least want conservative Christians in political power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_Theology

Oh, so it's Salafist Jihadism for Christians. Well that's reassuring.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Rexicon1 posted:

Oh, so it's Salafist Jihadism for Christians. Well that's reassuring.

Pretty much, except that they have the wealth and political clout to tone down the bloodshed, which keeps them out of the spotlight most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I'm watching that documentary Mitt right now. I'm 20 minutes in and it's pretty interesting but pretty bland so far. They've only depicted the rhetoric he uses, how his family feels about him running, how he's addressing being a flipper, but they don't talk about his actual talking points or what policies he would enact.

Maybe it'll get better as it goes on, but I'm pretty disappointed. It's just a humanizing portrait. To be fair, this is something he really needs. :mitt:

He still comes off as a piece of poo poo sometimes though.

E. Just got to the 47% remark. Let's see how they handle it!

They didn't talk about it at all.

Okay, 40 minutes left, and the best thing about the movie so far is that it justifies Ann Romney's owning the horses as treatment for MS.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 28, 2014