Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Channel Awesome alum and F-list internet personality JewWario took his own life a couple days ago and some cheeky motherfucker thought it would be a good idea to unironically add the "Driven To Suicide" trope to his page.

Tropers are literally the worst people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Froghammer posted:

Channel Awesome alum and F-list internet personality JewWario took his own life a couple days ago and some cheeky motherfucker thought it would be a good idea to unironically add the "Driven To Suicide" trope to his page.

I hate, hate, hate that that site allows "real life examples" for this reason. It is so tasteless when something horrible like this happens, and they don't loving understand why, and they don't care. They cannot relate to others on any sort of human level. Fiction is real life, and obviously the reverse must also be true, to these fuckers.

It's not like someone posted that as a way of helping them deal with their grief, either- I know grief sometimes leads to people doing weird things but this isn't that. This is "Real life is just like fiction and can be antiseptically categorized beep loving boop."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Froghammer posted:

They also created a Trivia page for him just so they could put "Author Existence Failure" on it.

Author Existence Failure posted:

A Fandom's worst nightmare.

Sometimes editors go bankrupt, and sometimes authors die. Even more worrisome is when they do so before completing a series, leaving it orphaned. If readers are lucky, the author had enough warning or foresight to keep notes on his plans for the rest of the series or at least fill someone else in on the most relevant plot points, so that their work can be continued by someone else. This may result in the series Jumping the Shark if the replacement isn't very good, but at least you have closure. Worse would be if the series just isn't popular enough to justify going through the effort to find a new author, leaving fans to wonder What Could Have Been.

It's sad that this man killed himself... but only because without him we'll never know what would have happened next on his internet review show :qq:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Venusian Weasel posted:

Ice King as dementia

I know this isn't the thread for it, but that thought just brought the series into tight focus. Thinking about the characters as metaphors actually makes the damned thing make a lot more sense, similar to old fairy tales. Wow, I like that idea a whole lot.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Hopefully I didn't miss it being said, but didn't Orwell himself say that the "The last part was written in past tense, meaning BB is eventually defeated" thing bullshit?

I remember reading 1984 and assuming there would / should be a sequel wherein one of the three superpowers decided to drop their prole-keeping-down fake war and deciding to actually try and take territory.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's sad that this man killed himself... but only because without him we'll never know what would have happened next on his internet review show :qq:

I love how the most important thing is that someone, anyone, keeps writing their stupid fantasy series. Because it doesn't matter who's writing your fantasy novel series. Just as long as your favorite wizard gets to keep banging elves and killing demon lords.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The whole thing with Justin Carmical is simply depressing. Leave it to Tropers to take a miserable situation and categorize it. My sympathy for the man's wife gets replaced with white hot anger that such shitlords exist.

EDIT. And it seems they aren't limited to TvTropes. I get that this thread is meant to mock Tropers' horrible opinions, but I just encountered this post on The Escapist Forums, and it just strikes me as the type of awful opinion a troper exemplifies. Starts here and goes for a little while

Some inconsiderate fuckhead who has probably never experienced a suicide before posted:

I know right? I have zero sympathy for this JewWario guy. Even if he did have a bad case of depression he obviously had someone in his life that cared about him. Anyone that throws a love like that away is irredeemable. Suicide is your choice to make (a stupid choice, but yours never the less), but killing yourself while your loved one(s) are pleading with you not to is just... wrong. Not only are you hurting them with the fact you are dead but also with the knowledge that you didn't care about them enough to live for him/her/them.

Man, now I'm pissed. gently caress you Justin Carmical. I hope you burn in hell for the pain you have brought to your wife. Good luck, godspeed, and best of wishes to Ms. Carmical.

Yeah, how dare you suffer from a severe psychological disorder? Another guy in the thread sums of this shithead best: "Hey Mrs. Carmical, you have my deepest sympathies, but your husband was a piece of poo poo scum of the earth who deserves to burn in hell for what he did to you! Deepest Sympathies though."

I'm sure that's what any grieving widow would love to hear.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 28, 2014

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah, how dare you suffer from a severe psychological disorder?
That entire thread is disgusting.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Froghammer posted:

How much you wanna bet that the person only added it just so that they could have been the first person to add an entry?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I thought that that show only ran for three seasons. Oof, what a page. :smith:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Arcsquad12 posted:

shitlords.txt

That kind of attitude to suicide does exist in a lot of places, not just tropers or shitfucks on the internet. I had a friend try to commit suicide a few months back. After discussing it with someone she thought would understand, they turned around and told her she was sub-human scum for even thinking of throwing her life away. When she got back home, her flatmate had to spend the night awake with her, just to keep her from trying again after hearing that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That kind of attitude to suicide does exist in a lot of places, not just tropers or shitfucks on the internet. I had a friend try to commit suicide a few months back. After discussing it with someone she thought would understand, they turned around and told her she was sub-human scum for even thinking of throwing her life away. When she got back home, her flatmate had to spend the night awake with her, just to keep her from trying again after hearing that.

It's like these people don't get that they're perpetuating the problem rather than helping. Oh, you're suicidal? gently caress you, you're a coward and a piece of poo poo and I hope you die. Yep, that's really going to set them straight.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013
So the poor soul killed himself, and that's all they have to say? Jeez. I feel the need to put some respect back in the world.

^^^
Minute of silence for a man who died too soon and suffered too much. Rest in peace, Justin.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Looking through the history of that page, someone added the Author Existence Failure trope to the main page, before it was removed with the edit reason

quote:

can we not?
Unfortunately they went on to say

quote:

he died three days ago, we can wait to put up a trope that plays on gallows humor

At least the mention of his death above the trope list is respectful?

Unrelatedly, take a look at the trope page for the Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

quote:

Mighty Whitey: Subverted — Leah ends up adopting the Congolese lifestyle in her marriage to Anatole, but her whiteness still marks her as an outsider and she has to continually work to convince her neighbors that she is on their side, not that of the colonialists.

quote:

Going Native: Subverted with Nathan. Averted, and eventually inverted with Rachel (who seems to become more racist and jingoistic the longer she spends in Africa). Alternately played straight and deconstructed with Leah. Played more or less completely straight with the last American or Christian to spend significant quantities of time in the Congo: Fyntan Fowles, a Catholic priest who deserted his order.

Since it's "lit fic", the trope page for the book is too small to have any rape in it. Adventure Time is not.

Fridge Horror posted:

The Ice King has been stealing princesses LONG before Finn showed up. It is likely that he has already forced a princess to marry him. The Ice King has EXTREME difficulty empathizing with others, and has been shown blatantly ignoring the screams of terror from his kidnapped princesses. It is entirely possible that the Ice King has raped women, and he was too insane to realize that it was wrong!
Or he's a sympathetic villain in a cartoon for children. But yeah, he's totally a rapist. Death Of The Author. Rape As Drama. Unfortunate Implications. What Do You Mean It's For Kids.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Shwoo posted:

Looking through the history of that page, someone added the Author Existence Failure trope to the main page, before it was removed

That being the case, here's a screenshot of the 'Driven to Suicide' thing on that poor man. Someone should preserve their shame.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Shwoo posted:

Or he's a sympathetic villain in a cartoon for children. But yeah, he's totally a rapist. Death Of The Author. Rape As Drama. Unfortunate Implications. What Do You Mean It's For Kids.

Let's ignore the fact that whenever he kidnaps princesses, he takes them to his castle to watch home-made movies or count his penguins, it's all just an extended rape metaphor.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Let's ignore the fact that whenever he kidnaps princesses, he takes them to his castle to watch home-made movies or count his penguins, it's all just an extended rape metaphor.
Under The Radar, dude. :tvtropes:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Runcible Cat posted:

Under The Radar, dude. :tvtropes:

Please accept my 3500-word thesis on how these disney preteen brother and sister are secretly loving.

quote:

In the pilot episode "Crazy Ten-Minute Sale", Alex uses a spell to make a duplicate of herself to fool her dad so she can go shopping... except the duplicate barks like a dog.
Justin: It's perfect because that's what I hear when you talk to me.

Well if that's not proof I don't know what is.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MisterBibs posted:

Hopefully I didn't miss it being said, but didn't Orwell himself say that the "The last part was written in past tense, meaning BB is eventually defeated" thing bullshit?

If Orwell did say this then Thomas Pynchon sure messed up when he wrote his foreward to 1984 a few years back.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If Orwell did say this then Thomas Pynchon sure messed up when he wrote his foreward to 1984 a few years back.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a troper obsessively cataloguing the incestuous sex lives of preteens, forever.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Speaking from personal experience, my brother feelings towards my dad has a lot of anger interwoven. For a total stranger with no experience with suicide to express such feelings (especially towards someone at risk of suicide) is incredibly dumb.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I don't know if it's just me, but I just did a google search for the Turner Diaries. Result one is its Wikipedia page. Result two is its Tvtropes page.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/TheTurnerDiaries?from=Main.TurnerDiaries

I get that it might be worthwhile to point out its flaws in logic, but it doesn't seem like an appropriate format.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Well, at least no one's defending the book, right? Please? :ohdear:

EDIT: From a cursory glance I didn't see anyone defending it but for the love of God why does this trope still have that name?

made of bees fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 28, 2014

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

made of bees posted:

EDIT: From a cursory glance I didn't see anyone defending it but for the love of God why does this trope still have that name?

Duh, because Blazing Saddles did it, stupid! It was said in a movie, so it's a trope!

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

made of bees posted:

Because TV Tropes will usually go with the nerd reference to describe something, regardless of context or sensitivity. "Interracial couple" isn't catchy enough, I guess?

Also, their "other" section:

quote:

In 1955, Emmett Till, a fourteen-year-old black boy, dared to whistle at an older white woman in Mississippi, and ended up getting lynched for it. His body was eventually recovered weeks later from the bottom of a river. Despite the body's advanced state of decomposition, Till's mother insisted on an open casket ceremony so that the world can see what Southern racism did to her son. The gruesome pictures of Till's body lying in state that appeared in Time magazine was credited with helping to kick off the Civil Rights Movement.

Paranoia in the Deep South about black men raping white women led to a lot of notorious incidents. Among the most notorious:
The 1931 Scottsboro case, in which nine black teenagers were falsely accused of raping two white women. They were put through a fifteen-year ordeal in which they were subjected to frame-ups, all-white juries, several rushed trials, and an attempted lynching. All but one lived long enough to be officially pardoned... in 1976.
The 1923 Rosewood massacre, in which a white posse — spurred by the alleged rape of a white woman in a neighboring town — descended on the all-black town of Rosewood, Florida and burned it to the ground, massacring six residents.

Guy!crush version: When The Nostalgia Critic (a very pale white guy) expressed hots for black actors Will Smith, Ernie Hudson, and Keith David, an embarrassing section of the fanbase expressed revulsion and called him a Category Traitor.

After becoming famous with the TV show Pawn Stars, Gold & Silver Pawn Shop owner Rick Harrison wrote his autobiography, My Life At The Gold And Silver Pawn Shop. The book is full of anecdotes about some of the customers who come into his shop to pawn valuables, including pimps who pawn their bling jewelry. Rick recounts how one black pimp came in with a group of white women in tow. The pimp explained to Rick that many of his black customers couldn't resist the "forbidden fruit" appeal of white women, so they would pay huge sums to make it with his white girls.

Tonal consistency, organisation and relevance? What are those. :downs:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

kaleidolia posted:

Tonal consistency, organisation and relevance? What are those. :downs:

Going from Rosewood to Nostalgia Critic with total sincerity. Poetry.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, I've started reading the Anime is the Tie that Binds Us link in the OP. Should I start making out my last will and testament here?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I officially curse the poster who talked about the people who Capitalize (TV)Trope Names outside of TVTropes, because now I've started noticing them all over the forums, particularly in Let's Play. :mad: I did not want to be able to see that. It's the shittiest superpower there is. How dare you! :rant:

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 2, 2014

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Well, I've started reading the Anime is the Tie that Binds Us link in the OP. Should I start making out my last will and testament here?

Yes. Yes you should, just as insurance in case you do go mad from reading it (or die of utter boredom).

Penny Paper fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 29, 2014

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

William Bear posted:

I don't know if it's just me, but I just did a google search for the Turner Diaries. Result one is its Wikipedia page. Result two is its Tvtropes page.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/TheTurnerDiaries?from=Main.TurnerDiaries

I get that it might be worthwhile to point out its flaws in logic, but it doesn't seem like an appropriate format.

On the YMMV page there's this gem:

quote:

Genius Bonus: Take a good look at the colors of the book cover: red, white, and black. Look familiar together, don't they?
"Red, white, and black" potholes to "Those Wacky Nazis". You mean those colors are associated with Nazism/white nationalism? Only a genius could figure that out. :downs:

Also this:

quote:

The increasingly-stricter demands by public groups for gun control makes one wonder just how stupid the idea of Congress throwing out the Second Amendment might be.

Demands for stricter gun control after mass shootings = OH GOD OBAMA IS GONNA TAKE OUR GUNS ANY DAY NOW RUN :supaburn: :supaburn:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Gen. Ripper posted:

"Red, white, and black" potholes to "Those Wacky Nazis". You mean those colors are associated with Nazism/white nationalism? Only a genius could figure that out. :downs:

What's black and white and red all over? Nazis, and nothing else.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

DStecks posted:

What's black and white and red all over? Nazis, and nothing else.

To be fair, this is literally The Turner Diaries.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

my dad posted:

I officially curse the poster who talked about the people who Capitalize (TV)Trope Names outside of TVTropes, because now I've started noticing them all over the forums, particularly in Let's Play. :mad: I did not want to be able to see that. It's the shittiest superpower there is. How dare you! :rant:

I have no doubt that Tropers were like 90% of the people featured in these videos.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

my dad posted:

People who exclusively post in LP tend to be awful posters.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Razorwired posted:

I have no doubt that Tropers were like 90% of the people featured in these videos.
I love those videos so much. :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Improbable Lobster posted:

People who exclusively post in LP tend to be awful posters.

People who exclusively post in <FORUM I DON'T POST IN> tend to be awful poster.

edit:

Razorwired posted:

I can't even begin to describe how much I love these videos. :allears:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Changing an image on our nerd wiki is just like censoring classical art!

rjung posted:

I also believe the artist chose to use the word "niggarism" to make a point, to identify the destructive and negative behavior that he wants to see crushed. I'm not fond of the language either, but IMO removing or censoring it would be like sticking a bra on "Birth of Venus".

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

They don't care about classical art. Why would they bandy this argument around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Penny Paper posted:

They don't care about classical art. Why would they bandy this argument around?

They just got a C in Lit 101 and think using racial epithets makes them Mark Twain.

• Locked thread