Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bieeardo posted:

And sorry, nomenclature goof on my end. By 'slots' I meant 'glyphs'. Hadn't found a lot of stuff with space for glyphs, so I haven't really poked at the crafting system much.

Every piece of equipment either has a slot for a glyph (that's likely pre-filled, very rarely do things get given to you empty) or comes with built-in stats that are the equivalent of a glyph. Very, very rarely, you'll instead get an item with a built-in proc of some kind, which'll instead work as a built-in signet slot. Signet slots don't start actually appearing until QL10 gear, though, so when that stuff happens before tat it just takes up the glyph slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It is manifestly not worth crafting glyphs until you're in endgame (bullion) gear. And even then, don't bother unless you're crafting Nightwatch glyphs. Til then just do the best you can with what drops.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That makes sense. Drops have been middling, which is par for me, but the quest rewards are keeping me going. Thanks!

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Len posted:

That's really one of the best things in the game. As far as I know I'm the only goon who has all the clothes from Pangaea. Part of the fun is trying to see what causes glitches.

Me too. I could be saving for signets or something, but no, I'm buying out the clothing department. I don't have all the stuff at the Underground yet (out of Pax).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Bieeardo posted:

That makes sense. Drops have been middling, which is par for me, but the quest rewards are keeping me going. Thanks!

I've been spending the tokens for quest tokens for my weapons to keep up at around the same place, personally.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I've just been buying poo poo out of the AH.

Of course I'm broke all the time but no big deal. I also just realized after like nearly a week that I can mix passives from any weapon, not just the two I have equipped. My combat abilities have risen considerably. :histdowns:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

thegodofchuck posted:

Me too. I could be saving for signets or something, but no, I'm buying out the clothing department. I don't have all the stuff at the Underground yet (out of Pax).

Realistically unless you run with spergy people or want to sperg out yourself signets aren't really that important (role depending I guess?) so you can just do what I did and spend your Pax on signets after you have all the clothes.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Realistically unless you run with spergy people or want to sperg out yourself signets aren't really that important (role depending I guess?) so you can just do what I did and spend your Pax on signets after you have all the clothes.

Personally I've found at least the early game basically all of my pax goes towards runspeed energy drinks :v:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Does anyone have a trial code? I want to see if this game's any fun.

VVVVV Thanks.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 24, 2014

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Unguided posted:

Does anyone have a trial code? I want to see if this game's any fun.

WTY45KVXFR3ZS7X5GWTD

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The PvP in this game is ridiculously FunCom.

1/5th of a Q10 epic if your team has the most level 55 tricked out murderers, god help you if it doesn't.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
I had my first venture into the New York raid yesterday. I'm both impressed at the atmosphere - military choppers chasing huge filth insects through the sky, that first walk through the subway filled with traumatised civilians - and surprised that it was so short. Hell Raised Nightmare runs last longer. Still, it was pretty good fun, and I didn't even get anyone killed.

Also got to see the Corpse Island of Nargleblarglegargle. Great, it's a tricked out Ur-Draug with neon underlighting. Seems like the most hastily designed encounter since they were about to ship and realised Slaughterhouse was missing a fifth boss. "Oh gently caress reuse the scientist vampire model, give him a shotgun, we're publishing this thing in 20 minutes".

p.s. lairs are the most transparent grindfest since, well, scenarios

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Scandalous posted:

I had my first venture into the New York raid yesterday. I'm both impressed at the atmosphere - military choppers chasing huge filth insects through the sky, that first walk through the subway filled with traumatised civilians - and surprised that it was so short. Hell Raised Nightmare runs last longer. Still, it was pretty good fun, and I didn't even get anyone killed.

Also got to see the Corpse Island of Nargleblarglegargle. Great, it's a tricked out Ur-Draug with neon underlighting. Seems like the most hastily designed encounter since they were about to ship and realised Slaughterhouse was missing a fifth boss. "Oh gently caress reuse the scientist vampire model, give him a shotgun, we're publishing this thing in 20 minutes".

p.s. lairs are the most transparent grindfest since, well, scenarios

Lairs have been around since the start so really scenarios are the most transparent grindfest since them.

Is the filth hallway still a thing or has the next phase finally started?

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Still a thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Scandalous posted:

Still a thing.

Thisis the first time I've seen this playerbase actually complain. They usually applaud the worst aspects of design in this game, but there's open distaste for how they're handling the Whispering Tide event. Even the few intrepid souls still doing the thing (me included; I'm stockpiling Third Age Fragments) are expressing open hatred of it.

Not even Megaboss Love is enough to salvage this thing. I'm not sure if that's because the sorts of people doing the Whispering Tide aren't interested in fighting megabosses, or because the appeal of megabosses has been greatly exaggerated.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I wish they'd just blatantly pause it until Tokyo was actually ready :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

I wish they'd just blatantly pause it until Tokyo was actually ready :(

It will never be ready. It's lovely scenarios and megabosses from here on out.

Christ the loving event is going to end with a 60-man raid. That pretty much means I'm out because my computer chugs the NY raid.

Grillburg
Oct 9, 2013
Hey all, relatively new player here (1-2 weeks since it went on Steam sale). If I can suggest a change to the OP that would be a bit less confusing:

In the Skills section, this sentence exists:

"You can keep 175 AP and 40 SP, after those limits are met you will not gain any further and any gained will be lost."

If I'm correct, shouldn't this be clarified to mean UNSPENT points? I was under the impression that, with time, you could max out all skills and abilities, right? (Abilities for sure at least, not as sure about skills.)

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Grillburg posted:

Hey all, relatively new player here (1-2 weeks since it went on Steam sale). If I can suggest a change to the OP that would be a bit less confusing:

In the Skills section, this sentence exists:

"You can keep 175 AP and 40 SP, after those limits are met you will not gain any further and any gained will be lost."

If I'm correct, shouldn't this be clarified to mean UNSPENT points? I was under the impression that, with time, you could max out all skills and abilities, right? (Abilities for sure at least, not as sure about skills.)

Over time, you can max out all of your skills and abilities. However, if you're trying to "hoard" new points without putting those points into abilities, you can only hoard UP TO 40 SP and 175 AP before any new points will not be stored. That's what that section is trying to communicate.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
Also you can raise your AP pool to 515 once you've unlocked augments.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Made the changes to the OP you all requested, I moved the overflow AP/SP blurb to the experience section. Any more changes anyone wants, let me know. I do know that the thread is out of date, I just don't have much time to maintain it anymore.

Grillburg
Oct 9, 2013
Thanks, that makes more sense now.

I really like that you can get every ability in the game and switch around when you feel like it. Very nice system.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

HughGRect posted:

I just don't have much time to maintain it anymore.

What with all the Whispering Tide runs you're doing, right? :allears:

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

What with all the Whispering Tide runs you're doing, right? :allears:

Yeah I dropped out of school and quit my job just so I could run that thing 12 times an hour.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I don't understand the point of an endgame for this, issues up to 8 basically wrapped up the area stories up to Tokyo. And that'll never be resolved, so.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like the deck building aspect and limited amount of active abilities (I'm playing FF14 now and ability bloat really isn't fun anymore), but a lot of them are average or even bad. Funcom really didn't think things through when they made the vanilla wheel have 525 abilities, even more experienced, bigger dev teams struggle with such a sheer number of skills. And that's in games with fixed classes so you can't just mix and match the FoTM stuff.

Also the endgame is there for the sake of it, it's not much deeper than that. Because MMOs need to keep their customers playing, and to most MMO players "character progression" is entirely tied to a few numbers getting bigger. This is the way. The Secret World has an advantage to some extent (compared to other MMOs with perpetual "and now fight the next corrupted NPC until the next patch" endgame) because it doesn't need (shouldn't need...) a grand overarching story to justify having you fight some ancient horror somewhere.

orcane fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 27, 2014

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

The grand overarching story pretty much is the endgame for most people, though. It's just that it only keeps players coming back every 3-6 months now.

Dely Apple posted:

I don't understand the point of an endgame for this, issues up to 8 basically wrapped up the area stories up to Tokyo. And that'll never be resolved, so.

Hey, Tokyo's actually coming out. They'd just locked themselves into doing a large urban zone before the Dark Days came.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Really dumb question, here. I'm blundering around Blue Mountain, a couple of steps short of finishing the Solomon Island story. While I've been experimenting with a couple of different builds from the official forums, and pure DPS gear versus pure HP equipment, I'm really not seeing a lot of difference between them. I fight an even con critter, I end up with roughly a third of my health left, regardless of whether my max is 2500 or 4000. It's beginning to feel like a rather pointless distinction.

Question is, are these typical experiences? I get through boss fights by the skin of my teeth, sometimes only with the help of one of the rare heal pots that drops, and if I manage to get more than one even-con mob on my butt it's back to the anima well.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

On Solomon Island, the stat differences aren't very significant. You should notice more of a difference by the time you get to Egypt. Oh, and Blue Mountain tends to suck for new players. What weapons/builds are you using?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

Really dumb question, here. I'm blundering around Blue Mountain, a couple of steps short of finishing the Solomon Island story. While I've been experimenting with a couple of different builds from the official forums, and pure DPS gear versus pure HP equipment, I'm really not seeing a lot of difference between them. I fight an even con critter, I end up with roughly a third of my health left, regardless of whether my max is 2500 or 4000. It's beginning to feel like a rather pointless distinction.

Question is, are these typical experiences? I get through boss fights by the skin of my teeth, sometimes only with the help of one of the rare heal pots that drops, and if I manage to get more than one even-con mob on my butt it's back to the anima well.

That was about my experience as well while leveling, you can take more HP and do less damage or take more damage gear with less HP. The end result is usually the same, standing around eating tacos waiting for that percentage of HP to come back.

<chaos-blade plug> Unless your doing the awesome chaos/blade frenzy-leach-exposed-debil dance of straight awesome. </chaos-blade plug>

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

The grand overarching story pretty much is the endgame for most people, though. It's just that it only keeps players coming back every 3-6 months now.

Hey, Tokyo's actually coming out. They'd just locked themselves into doing a large urban zone before the Dark Days came.

I like how you continue to be optimistic :unsmith:

We won't see Tokyo for ages and when we do it's going to be garbage compared to the other zones. I have no faith that Mr. Bylos actually knows how to tell a good story.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

I like how you continue to be optimistic :unsmith:

We won't see Tokyo for ages and when we do it's going to be garbage compared to the other zones. I have no faith that Mr. Bylos actually knows how to tell a good story.

STOP LIVING IN OHIO

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Cheston posted:

On Solomon Island, the stat differences aren't very significant. You should notice more of a difference by the time you get to Egypt. Oh, and Blue Mountain tends to suck for new players. What weapons/builds are you using?

Okay, cool, that's something of a relief. I'm mostly kitted in QL6 and 7 greens that I got off the AH.

I'm using blades/pistols. The build I was working on turns out to have been recommended for dungeon DPS, and since my survivability was a bit dicey I decided to try something else.

That first build is:
Passives: Elemental Force; Twist the Knife; Brawler; Sharp Blades; Dark Potency, Mad Skills, and Fluid Defence
(This one's aiming to replace DP with Iron Maiden, and Fluid Defence with Seal the Deal; the final one replaces Sharp Blades and Mad Skills with Lethality and Closer. I'm thinking of replacing one of those with Bloodsport, because my current builder and blades consumer have effects that key off Afflicted status.)
Actives: Grass Cutter; Blade Torrent; Clearing the Path; Shootout; Master's House, Deadly Aim; Martial Discipline
(Following the original build, moving toward replacing Blade Torrent and Martial Discipline with Sling Blade and Steel Echo. Not really sure about that first one, I like having an AoE builder I can spam when there's a swarm underfoot.)

Basically building Elemental Force counters until it procs, then unloading a Shootout's worth of crits. Plus buffs.

The one I've muddled around with today is blade/pistol still, a cheapass set intended to be usable in Blue Mountain, with recommendations for building toward endgame. My tray's a right mess right now because I've got parts of it.

Passives: Elemental Force; Perfect Storm; Brawler; Sharp Blades; Dark Potency; Regeneration; Fluid Defence
(The build recommendation suggests Breakdown and 12 Gouge later, and replacing Perfect Storm with Bloodsport.)
Actives: The Business; Blade Torrent; Dancing Blade; Clearing the Path; Stunning Swirl; Balanced Blade; Martial Discipline
(This one's just a mess. The build recommends adding Bond, Strong Bond, probably replacing Balanced Blade, switching Blade Torrent out for Forking Paths once Bloodsport's available, and eventually finding room for Art of War.)

I generally prefer the feel of the first one. There's quiet single and PBAoE builders, an AoE blade consumer and a pistol consumer, and a few buffs that may or may not be placebos.

ptp
Aug 27, 2010
Haven't played this in a little over a year now, but I noticed the forum is dead as a doornail. Where's the action these days, assuming there is any?

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
There's plenty of action on both EU and US prime time. Just log in and see for yourself.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

I generally prefer the feel of the first one. There's quiet single and PBAoE builders, an AoE blade consumer and a pistol consumer, and a few buffs that may or may not be placebos.

Yep, the first one looks good. There are a few changes that would scale down much better for leveling/soloing: Definitely get some kind of afflict going instead of Closer, Closer's mostly beneficial for people in full purples and you'd need an afflict to proc Iron Maiden anyways. Also, I would get rid of Brawler (same reason as Closer) and put in Breakdown. It's a Chaos passive that'll make your blade attacks Weaken enemies, so they'll die 30% faster. (Weakening is unique to blades/chaos/hammers, and it's the most significant damage buff you can apply, but it's on the target side and usually applied by the tank, so it doesn't show up in DPS builds.) And instead of having two builders, I'd just swap Grass Cutter out with Blade Torrent whenever you're facing groups of enemies. You can use that extra slot for Sling Blade, or Steel Echo, or a similar buff active.

(Also, for glyph stats, aim for Penetration and Hit. More Penetration than Hit, but still enough Hit that your attacks don't glance.)

You'll still be ending fights at half health or less a lot of the time, but that's pretty much just how the combat works. Buy a few hundred Tacos and the downtime'll last about five seconds.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice, I'll start working on that the next time I'm in game.

I have to say, I really like that most quests are repeatable. It makes it a lot easier to recover from not-great skill picks. Slows things down a bit, but that's survivable.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I remain skeptical that anything in solo play lives long enough for Exposed to be a significant factor.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

guppy posted:

I remain skeptical that anything in solo play lives long enough for Exposed to be a significant factor.

The way I think of it, you need to build six times before doing consumers with Ele Force, which would result in the mob taking 18% more damage, so at the very least it is guaranteed to be better than Brawler, or even Twist the Knife / Lethality if you're not in constant combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Tried to get into the Kingsmouth airport last night, it took me a while to realize that the guards were all standing facing specific directions and never moved. I'm also really happy that I finally got a weapon upgrade from a quest. Yea, Q3 pistols.

One item I keep getting any have no idea what to do with are the items that are for some kind of play, I don't really understand that.

• Locked thread