Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Pardalis posted:

Plant Trading! EagerSleeper sent me some starts and seeds a few months ago and it was super fun! If you are interested in trading seeds or cuttings with me, PM me or post it here! I have a looooot of stuff for the garden, as ornamentals, and for planting terrariums. It would be fun to trade with some goons and make our green thumbs greener.

I don't know if I have anything interesting to you (or anyone else) but I generally keep track of my plants and seeds on MyFolia. If you're spergin' enough to track all your plants too, here's my page/invite link: http://www.myfolia.com/gardener/Mizufusion/invite

Not everything on my list is up-to-date or has photos, and I'm not a master gardener or anything, but I try.

I also just noticed in my last post I spelled "too" two different ways. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....

Mizufusion posted:

Anyone have advice on lithops? I bought a small pot of them a couple months ago, and they seem to just shrivel and liquefy from the inside out after a bit. I have no idea if I'm watering too much or two little, or if they're sick or what. :sigh:

i have all my plants on a sill of a western facing window in northeast united states. my room has terrible temperature control, but my stone cactus has done fine and i've managed to keep it alive for at least 2 years. i water it whenever i remember to--maybe once a week or once every two weeks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mizufusion posted:

Those pots are awesome. :aaa:

Anyone have advice on lithops? I bought a small pot of them a couple months ago, and they seem to just shrivel and liquefy from the inside out after a bit. I have no idea if I'm watering too much or two little, or if they're sick or what. :sigh:

Lithops are extremely xeric plants. During the winter, to be safe, you can just not water them at all. At most give them a drink once a month. During their growing season you can do it every other week, assuming you're in a reasonably warm climate where the soil will dry out within like, a day.

In other news, my Drosera capensis caught a big old housefly today. This is the biggest prey it's ever caught on its own – I've fed it a swatted fly before, but usually it just nabs little fruit flies.

I first noticed the fly around noon. Considering where the leaf is at, it was probably trapped around 11.

By 4:30 or so the leaf had fully enveloped the fly, and was pumping out mucilage to drown/digest it. I was looking closely at this point and noticed that the fly's wing was twitching slightly every 10 or 15 seconds at this point :stare:. Sundews are pretty brutal.

Anyway, carnivorous plants are super fun to keep. If you invest just a bit of money into getting a lighting setup they're pretty hassle-free too. I'm currently germinating seeds of D. burmanii, D. capensis 'Alba' and D. intermedia 'Cuba' right now, but they're hard to photograph cause I've got saran wrap over the tray to up the humidity. There are lots of tiny tiny sprouts though! Hopefully within a couple weeks their carnivorous leaves will sprout and I'll be able to start feeding them, which will help them reach photogenic age more quickly.

God I love plants.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So during a bit of upkeep for my tank, I decided to see how much peacock moss I had.

Yeah about a 6 inch diameter ball. Stuff grows fast! Going to start selling off smaller golfball sized clumps so I'm not choking in it.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Glad to see this thread getting some more attention.

Pardalis, your hens and chicks will need a cold dormancy period, just fyi; there may be some jovibarba hybrids that are happier long-term without cold periods. Also, your weird aloe is a Harwarthia attenuata, an absolutely fantastic genus.

I made what might be a significant find a few weeks ago, a dense, good looking witch's broom on an ash. I need to find some understock, but grafted about four or five feet high, I believe this will make a very attractive tree for landscapes cramped for space.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....

Kenning posted:

Anyway, carnivorous plants are super fun to keep. If you invest just a bit of money into getting a lighting setup they're pretty hassle-free too.

can you explain your lighting set up? every time i get a carnivorous plant i always kill it :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I have a picture of it earlier in the thread but I have 2 four-foot long T-8 fluorescent shop light fixtures, 3 bulbs each. These are hanging from small brass chains on a wood frame my buddy and I built from some fairly inexpensive lumber. I use a mix of warm and cold light bulbs.

I paid a bit extra for my fixtures cause they look pretty nice, and we've got this in the living room. My setup ended up costing around $150, in part also cause I wanted to have plenty of room for a bigger collection so I made it significantly bigger than I currently need. If you just wanted to keep like 4 or 5 plants you could probably set yourself up for $50-$80.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper

unprofessional posted:

Pardalis, your hens and chicks will need a cold dormancy period, just fyi; there may be some jovibarba hybrids that are happier long-term without cold periods. Also, your weird aloe is a Harwarthia attenuata, an absolutely fantastic genus.

Totally, most of my hen and chicks live outside; I just sacrifice a few to the terrarium gods every few months because they are pretty, abundant, and long lasting. They are super common here and most of mine are from cuttings taken on walks. Thanks for the aloe ID!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Mizufusion posted:

Those pots are awesome. :aaa:

That sounds like too much watering. Especially in winter, they don't like a lot of water or damp soil (so it might be a problem with poor draining soil or not the right kind)

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010
Went away for the holidays and left my sister in charge of checking in to feed the plant and check the plants. Came back home and she had killed off 3 plants and it looks like my 4 year old pointsetta is on the way out as well. Has anyone had any luck rerooting one from clippings? I have root hormones if that will help it out and plant food. Most of the stores here have already tossed out the christmas plants and I'd like to save it if I can without waiting a year to replace it.

In better news the orchid I posted about earlier in the thread finally bloomed again though and is growing a third flower stalk :3:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Follow up on my little bonsai mangrove from the last page. It is not doing well at all. All of its leaves have fallen off and while it tried to sprout some new little buds at the end of each branch, those two have become brown and brittle. Large swaths of the trunk are now spongy and the tree no longer seems to be drinking. When I went to water it late last week it all just ran through the soil and out the bottom of the pot like it was already completely saturated (I checked, it was).

However about 1/3 the main trunk down near the base is still firm, so I'm beginning to think about trying this:

unprofessional posted:

Sounds pretty dead, but best way to find out is start cutting into it. Start from top (assuming this is where it's most dead), and cut out until you reach nice non-mushy wood. I've killed jades all the way down to ground level and cut out all the dead stuff to have it resprout. There's a chance the whole thing is toast, though. If none of it is mushy, wait and see.

However it hasn't sprouted anything else anywhere on the trunk so I'm worried the whole thing is dead. So questions:

1) Does this sound like a plant that can be saved? The fact that it's not absorbing water makes me think the thing is just dead.
2) How do I go about cutting it down? This is completely new to me. What tools do I need?
3) Not drinking = root damage? Should I repot it and see if the roots are all messed up, or would that just be even harder on it?
4) Any other ideas?

e: The tree was a gift and I feel like an absolute jackass for killing it, so I want to save it if I can. Even if the whole thing dies but a new one sprouts from the roots or something, I want that new plant. :smith:

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 20, 2014

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
All you need is a sharp knife. Start cutting and work your way down. If it's not toast, you'll know as soon as you hit non-rotted material. Get a nice clean cut at whatever level isn't dead (if any), dust the cut in cinnamon (anti-fungal), and leave it alone. You can basically stop watering it - with no leaves, it has little need for water. If it sprouts, hurrah, if not, oh well; don't know any decent gardener that hasn't killed more than their fair share of plants from mistakes. I babied about five different Puya species for five years before my wife ran them (in their f'ing pots) over with the goddamn lawn mower.

Lithops talk: easiest way I've ever read of taking care of them and making sure you're not overwatering is to mist them every morning and basically never give them a deep drink. They do shrivel a bit when dehydrated, so it's easy enough to tell if you need to give them a bit more than normal.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Thanks for all the lithops advice! I didn't think I was watering them too much, just a couple drops every few days at most. Maybe they need better-draining soil, then. I just left them in whatever media they came with when I bought it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm going to the Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society meeting tomorrow at the SF Conservatory of Flowers. My roommate is gonna get super high and come with me. I'm excited! I hope I can pick up some cool sundews and get advice on helping along my seedlings. Anybody here gonna be there? I remember someone mentioning BACPS earlier in the thread.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

I'm going to the Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society meeting tomorrow at the SF Conservatory of Flowers. My roommate is gonna get super high and come with me. I'm excited! I hope I can pick up some cool sundews and get advice on helping along my seedlings. Anybody here gonna be there? I remember someone mentioning BACPS earlier in the thread.

At first I got excited, but then I found out that it was the wrong bay area instead of the one I live by. Also, that it was three days too late though. Oh well.

Being able to see beautiful carnivorous plants that I could never take care of myself up close seems like it would fantastic though.... :3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTB87DEa2qE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I got excited too because it was the right Bay Area, but I was also too late. Oh well.

I cheered myself up today with discount orchids! I bought two phals with small reddish-purple flowers. Each plant has two flower spikes that have smaller branches forming. I got them for $6.50 each at the grocery store because they were past the sell-by date. Still look great, though. Only one or two flowers are starting to wilt. :)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sorry you missed it! I picked up a few Drosera and a giant ping. The talk was a pretty cool discussion of Brazilian sundew taxonomy and there was a demonstration of trimming and dividing Sarracenia. It was cool!

EagerSleeper posted:

At first I got excited, but then I found out that it was the wrong bay area instead of the one I live by. Also, that it was three days too late though. Oh well.

Being able to see beautiful carnivorous plants that I could never take care of myself up close seems like it would fantastic though.... :3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTB87DEa2qE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sure highland Nepenthes or tuberous sundews are tricky, but there are plenty of carnivores that are really easy to care for. South African sundews are pretty easy, as are Sarracenia, generally speaking. Low mineral water (distilled or RO, unless your water has really low TDS) and lots of light is the most important thing. Lots of carnivores are pretty cold hardy too, if that matters for you.

Carnivorous plants are rad, you should get some.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 16, 2014

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Awesome, first hibiscus bloom of the year!

It's a Burnt Saffron.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Speaking of carnivorous plants, I have a little venus fly trap that I think is dormant right now but is starting to come out of it and perk up again. When it does start waking up, I'd like to move it to a bigger pot or a little terrarium or something, and maybe even try to propagate it by taking off one or two leaves at the same time. Does anyone have any tips for doing this properly?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Flytrap Care is a good resource for all flytrap-related inquiries.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay. This thread is too quiet. We all need to start posting about our plants more. I'll start, with an update on my carnivorous plant collection. All of these photos can be clicked for SUPER ULTRA RESOLUTION.

Here's the full collection, to get things started:

There are six 4-foot T8 fluorescent lights there. 16 hour photoperiod.

Here's my Drosera capensis! It is just going crazy with all this light, and is sending up its second flower scape since I bought it. I also re-potted it and separated off a few offsets, as you'll see later.

This is Drosera capillaris, one of 4 plants I got at the BACPS meeting in January. It's loving my conditions! I wish I'd taken a picture when I first got it, but it was hugging the ground and had white tentacles and no flower stalks. And now look at it!

I also got this Drosera spiralis at the meeting. It's not doing quite as well as the D. capillaris. It's a Brazilian sundew and is known for being a bit temperamental. One grower told me I need to remember to say goodnight to it, because they have a habit of being suddenly dead. Its dew production hasn't been as robust as I'd like.

This is the last sundew I got at the BACPS meeting. I'm 99% sure it's Drosera admirabilis, but it wasn't labeled so I'm not positive. I recently repotted it. It's been doing fine, but hopefully as it continues to adjust to my conditions it'll settle in and start making more dew. It's already a good-sized plant, which means it should be fairly robust, if it is in fact D. admirabilis.

The one other plant I got at BACPS was this giant ping, Pinguicula gigantea. It's so cute and gooey! I want to re-pot this into a larger circular pot soon.

These little dudes are a bit of a mystery. They were growing in my D. admirabilis pot, and at first I thought they might be offsets, but I'm thinking now that I've separated them off they look sort of like Drosera spatulata, which is a known sundew collection weed, since it blooms prolifically and has long flower stalks. We'll see! I'd be happy to have one in my collection, in any case.

These are the two offsets I got off of my original D. capensis. I've got a few friends who are interested in taking up the hobby, and I may give them away as starter plants once they size up a bit more.

Now for some seedlings! First, Drosera burmanii. I wanted to get some D. burmanii seed cause I've read that they are voracious eaters and fast growers when fed. They're doing okay! The germination success rate wasn't particularly high, but that's fine – there are 13 or 14 plants in there, and if 10 plants make it to maturity that would be awesome for me. I'm feeding them every 10 days or so, so fingers crossed.

Here are seedlings of Drosera capensis 'Albino'. They will have white or pale pink tentacles when full grown, unlike the striking red of the typical form. The seedlings are a little hard to see, and were the last ones to germinate.

Finally, here's two pictures of Drosera intermedia 'Cuba'. They germinated like crazy! I transferred maybe a third of the original seedlings to a new pot. We'll see if that was a good idea – it may have been better to let them get a bit older first. We'll see! Again, if I can get 10 or 15 of these babies to maturity I would be pumped.

These pictures were all taken on the 15th, btw. The babies are already bigger than pictured.

Now you may remember back in December I was posting about my plant collection and I shared this photo of my Venus's fly-trap and some mystery sundews:

Well the sundews died, which was the least surprising thing in the world (they weren't being cared for very well at the nursery), but check out my VFT now:

Doing great! And catching flies! It started sending up a flower stalk a month or so ago but we cut it off after a week or so, since VFTs can be finicky to grow from seed, and now it'll put its energy into vegetative propagation. I'm planning on separating this guy out into separate containers soon to encourage lots of offsets.

I've also acquired a Sarracenia purpurea. I got this one a couple months ago, and in the last couple weeks it put out those new pitchers (the pale ones), which I suppose is a good sign! I'm going to set something up outside for Sarracenia in the next month or so, and then I'll move this guy (and maybe a couple of the VFTs) out there. In the mean time though he seems to be doing alright under the lights.

Post about your plants! And if I've infected anyone with the carnivorous plant bug, good! They're really fun to care for. Also those lights only cost $11/month to run, and the full setup (or something like it) could be put together for $50-$80. I've learned a lot just in the 4 or 5 months I've been into it, and there's plenty more to go.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

That microscopic baby sundew is cute as hell. :3:

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

Kenning posted:

Awesome plants

Your plants all look so happy. The baby ones look so cute! I kinda of want to jump into carnivorous plants but at the moment I can't hang grow lights in my apartment to get them proper lighting for the time being. I can never find them in my city either, though one of my friends said Loblaws carries them sometimes. I'm not sure how healthy a supermarket plant would be.

I'll take a bunch of pictures tomorrow of my plants, one of my orchids bloomed again and another one of my plants that I have no idea what it is is blooming again as well with some lovely orange and yellow flowers. I had to sentence a new pothos I got from Rona's to death sadly, after fighting a mealybug infestation. I gave it a week and it was still popping out babies in quarantine and I didn't want to chance them spreading to the other plants so it went outside to enjoy some Ontario winter weather.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Those are looking great. I have one Sarracenia that is slowly recovering from its box store origins.

Here are my office plants, at this moment. Nearly every one is a box store clearance find.

Ton of small succulents growing out (each selection was only $2!):

Big Gasteria, a Gasteraloe 'Flow,' and some Sansavieria that may or may not make it.

An aloe I've grown semi-hydro for more than two years, now. Needs a nice big pot, now.

Adenium that's finally starting to leaf out again:

Some Crassula and an Odcidium catatante 'Pumpkin Patch' I found for $5:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That Crassula is great, I love the stacking upright species. Your desert rose also looks great. I can't wait for mine to start leafing out again – it's a bit smaller than yours.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

So I don't have pictures (because it's nighttime right now) but I just finished potting up 4 Sarracenia rhizomes that I got from a guy on the internet. I now have S. leucophylla "Titan", S. flava typical, S. alata, and S. minor in addition to the S. purpurea pictured above.. Apparently these are divisions from some pretty mature plants, so they should look great come summer. Right now they're in 6-inch pots with a roughly equal mix of peat and coarse sand, and sitting on a tray. I'm going to have to find some more efficient way to keep them in full sun without losing all my water to evaporation, since they can't afford to dry out.

I guess I'm jumping into Sarracenia! I've toyed with the idea of turning this big glazed ceramic pot (it's like 2 feet across) that my parents got me for Christmas into a bog garden. I may plant these guys out there if I get it set up, but for right now I wanted to get them moist.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
An idea for you is to create a false bottom with a few inches of hydroton/leca, a barrier, then your media. This is used in dart frog terrariums all the time, and should allow your plants to have water reservoir that doesn't evaporate so quickly. Capillary action will bring the moisture up to the root system and you won't lose so much out of the top.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
So I guess lithops are just not for me. :sigh: I really tried; I haven't watered them at all since I asked about them here, but the still got squishy and died. Maybe there was too much moisture in the air, or maybe there wasn't enough light. Who knows.

To cheer myself up I bought a bunch of rhizomes today. Costco was selling bags that ranged from 8 to 20 plants, depending on species, for about $18. I have 16 daylilies, 12 lily of the valley, a couple bleeding hearts, and some astilbe. Also bought some fruit trees, and a couple weeks ago I bought iris bulbs. They came in a pack of 80 for $12, so if anyone near Santa Clara, CA wants to trade for iris bulbs, hit me up. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this many; it just seemed like a really good deal at the time. I'm not sure where I'm going to plant all these rhizomes either, but this sort of happens when you shop at warehouse stores. :downs:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Mass plantings look good for all of those. Lily of the valley spread like crazy in shady spots - be prepared.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

unprofessional posted:

Mass plantings look good for all of those. Lily of the valley spread like crazy in shady spots - be prepared.

Well, I have a lot of bare dirt in shady areas so I guess I'm alright with that. I also put some of the shade-loving plants in a big planter today so I can take them with me if/when I move. I want to do the same with some of the daylilies, but I just bought a bunch of other stuff so it'll have to wait.

I also must confess that I bought daylilies not only because they're pretty, but many species are edible. If I can confirm that I have an edible type you bet I'm going to chow down on some flowers. Battered and fried they taste similar to squash blossoms. :3:

Just don't confuse them with asiatic lilies. Those tend to be quite toxic.

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 25, 2014

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

I ordered a Miracle Fruit (Synsepalum dulcificum) and it arrived a few days ago. I potted it up:

And in only seven or eight years, I will be able to eat sour, miserable lemons like candy! ^_^

Kenning posted:

The one other plant I got at BACPS was this giant ping, Pinguicula gigantea. It's so cute and gooey! I want to re-pot this into a larger circular pot soon.

Glad you made it to a meeting! One of these days I want to drive up there and attend one, too. Sometimes BACPS sends spies down to the LACPS meetings. We deal harshly with these evil spying invaders by dragging them off, kicking and screaming, to Asian restaurants, where we torture them with good food and bad company.

I have a little bowl of large, adventurous pings (no pics, sorry) who like to walk around. Every season the pings move a short distance, until they reach the edge of the bowl, and then they try to climb out. In summer, the ping puts out it's big summer leaves. The roots are still short from winter. The new big leaves curl down and the plant levers itself up off the substrate. Old leaves die, it sinks down, new leaves curl out, it lifts up again, and by the time the roots catch, the plant has migrated as much as half an inch. Every few years I have to pick plants off the rim of the bowl as they try to curl their way out. I suppose in the wild, this is how they disperse. The rains could easily move them around in this unattached, rounded shape. Little carnivorous tumbleweeds!

I found a few more pics of my CPs... IN GLORIOUS THREE DEEEE!

These are crosseye stereograms.

Cooking with Nepenthes!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Mizufusion posted:

So I guess lithops are just not for me. :sigh: I really tried; I haven't watered them at all since I asked about them here, but the still got squishy and died. Maybe there was too much moisture in the air, or maybe there wasn't enough light. Who knows.

To cheer myself up I bought a bunch of rhizomes today. Costco was selling bags that ranged from 8 to 20 plants, depending on species, for about $18. I have 16 daylilies, 12 lily of the valley, a couple bleeding hearts, and some astilbe. Also bought some fruit trees, and a couple weeks ago I bought iris bulbs. They came in a pack of 80 for $12, so if anyone near Santa Clara, CA wants to trade for iris bulbs, hit me up. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this many; it just seemed like a really good deal at the time. I'm not sure where I'm going to plant all these rhizomes either, but this sort of happens when you shop at warehouse stores. :downs:

Sorry to hear about your lithops :( Sometimes lithops really don't like winter. I try to always get mine in the late spring so they can be quite robust and adapted to living with me by time winter comes around. They are usually pretty hardy, but once they develop serious problems, they can have a hard time recovering.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Has anyone had luck using LEDs instead of halogen for an indoor light source? From the looks of it I could easily set up an array of them to provide the light spectrum my plants would need.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I know people in the carnivorous plant hobby have successfully used LEDs, but there are 2 problems, one of which causes the other. First, LEDs emit light on a very, very narrow spectrum. LED technology is such at the moment that you have to get a bunch of lights of different colors to be able to maintain plants with them. That is problem 2, which is that LED setups make your plants look like they are at a really lovely rave. They're pretty efficient in terms of energy use though, so there's that. Though you have to mount them to a heatsink, since they put out a surprising amount of heat, especially compared to T8 fluoros, which I use. Halogens put out lots of heat too though, so that may not be a problem for you.

unprofessional posted:

An idea for you is to create a false bottom with a few inches of hydroton/leca, a barrier, then your media. This is used in dart frog terrariums all the time, and should allow your plants to have water reservoir that doesn't evaporate so quickly. Capillary action will bring the moisture up to the root system and you won't lose so much out of the top.

I've heard people talk about false bottoms and stuff before, but for whatever reason I have a hard time visualizing it. Could you do a little sketch in paint or something for me? I'm 100% down to rig something up, I just can't picture it very well.

Sun Dog posted:

Glad you made it to a meeting! One of these days I want to drive up there and attend one, too. Sometimes BACPS sends spies down to the LACPS meetings. We deal harshly with these evil spying invaders by dragging them off, kicking and screaming, to Asian restaurants, where we torture them with good food and bad company.

*STEREOSCOPIC CARNIVORES*

Those are cool pictures! How do you take stereograms? It would be fun to do for Facebook or something. Also: how do you grow your pings? I have one P. gigantea that I'm growing in the same conditions as my subtropical 'dews, but I know pings like it a little drier usually? I'm going to be building some new grow spaces soon, so I'd be glad to know what works for you! And I guess I should make my way down to LA sometime. I could use some good food with weird plant people.

In other news: I got some D. scorpioides "pink" gemmae from Drosera Gemmae! I planted them in 3.5 inch pots with a layer of LFS at the bottom for wick action, a peat:sand mix for most of the pot, and then like 1/2 inch of silica sand on top to keep down mold. I hope they take off! These are my first pygmies. As always, click for enormous.

The gemmae are the green specks that are like the exact same size as the rest of the grains of sand.

I also took some more pictures of my seedlings! The last set of photos I posted were taken on February 5th. Here they are on March 1st.

My D. intermedia 'Cuba' are doing pretty well, especially the centermost seedling in the second pot.

The D. capensis 'Albino' are sort of lagging behind; I think it's mostly because they're harder to see (green versus red) so I've only fed them once so far. Hopefully as they get easier to see (and therefore feed) they'll start to take off.

The real killers though are these D. burmanii! Part of why I wanted some was that I'd heard they have a voracious appetite, and just grow like crazy when well fed. These seedlings certainly bear that out. The guy at Grow Sundews says they can go from seeds to flowering maturity in 4 months. We're at the halfway mark right now.

Speaking of flowers, my D. capensis, D. capillaris "Alabama" and D. aliciae (it's not D. admirabilis) are all in bloom right now! The D. capensis has 2 stalks (one is tiny and hard to see), the D. capillaris has an amazing 4 stalks (I think the crown split into 2 plants) and the D. aliciae just has the one. Group shot!

And the D. aliciae.

On a less exciting note, I think this mystery sundew (people have suggested D. venusta and D. tokaiensis among others) isn't doing so hot. The crown of the plant is brown.

I don't know anything at all, so maybe it'll fine. But we'll see in the next couple weeks.

Anyway, this has been Kenning's Sundew Update.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Kenning posted:

Those are cool pictures! How do you take stereograms? It would be fun to do for Facebook or something. Also: how do you grow your pings? I have one P. gigantea that I'm growing in the same conditions as my subtropical 'dews, but I know pings like it a little drier usually? I'm going to be building some new grow spaces soon, so I'd be glad to know what works for you! And I guess I should make my way down to LA sometime. I could use some good food with weird plant people.

My experience with this particular ping, whose exact identity is uncertain (it's large, with a light purple flower), is it grows in whatever pot you put it in. It came to me potted in sandy peat. I recently repotted in that Chilean sphagnum from Lowe's.

The stereograms were crudely composed by taking a picture, sliding the camera over about three inches, and taking another. Then I fiddled about with cropping and positioning until I was able to get them into focus.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Kenning posted:

I've heard people talk about false bottoms and stuff before, but for whatever reason I have a hard time visualizing it. Could you do a little sketch in paint or something for me? I'm 100% down to rig something up, I just can't picture it very well.

It's pretty easy - nearly all natural vivariums are made this way, now. Check out post #4 in this thread. In vivaria, it's done to help drainage and prevent overwatering, but in your case, you could make it as deep as you want, using it as a reservoir. The key is to have a mesh barrier between the LECA and the substrate. After that, you're good to go.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Kenning posted:

I know people in the carnivorous plant hobby have successfully used LEDs, but there are 2 problems, one of which causes the other. First, LEDs emit light on a very, very narrow spectrum. LED technology is such at the moment that you have to get a bunch of lights of different colors to be able to maintain plants with them. That is problem 2, which is that LED setups make your plants look like they are at a really lovely rave. They're pretty efficient in terms of energy use though, so there's that. Though you have to mount them to a heatsink, since they put out a surprising amount of heat, especially compared to T8 fluoros, which I use. Halogens put out lots of heat too though, so that may not be a problem for you.

I didn't think about heat, that's a good thing for me though since its cold here in the northeast I think my plants would enjoy it. I was thinking of making an array for them to cover the spectrum needed then put some sort of semi-opaque glass in front of the array to get rid of the rave-like look. I'll probably need higher powered LEDs than normal for this but its worth it for the look.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Everytime I read this thread, I come so much closer to setting up a growlight in my closet....

As for content, here's the state of my garden in 20°F ice-rain Texas:

Milkweed (Asclepias curassavica): Hey, guys! Is it darker than usual around here? I know that I already live in a perpetual shade quagmire already, but I can't help but feel that something's a little different. Lol oh well, just going to keep putting out flowers everywhere despite the fact that there hasn't been a single butterfly around at all for months. Maybe the winter has something to do with it? Oh, guys! Did you know that I'm native to Mexico, and hence Texas, in pretty much this exact geographical location? It's almost like I'm perfectly adapted for this sort of bipolar weathe--

The succulent plant collection: Shut the gently caress up.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 4, 2014

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Any tips for dealing with mealybugs? My ficus bonsai appears to have a small infestation. Am I crazy to think I can just institute a squishing on sight policy? It's a relatively sparse plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Any tips for dealing with mealybugs? My ficus bonsai appears to have a small infestation. Am I crazy to think I can just institute a squishing on sight policy? It's a relatively sparse plant.

Some people swear by watered down rubbing alcohol. Just have too protect the roots of the plant because it will kill them if it gets into the soil, saran wrap or aluminum foil can help. Either make a spray bottle of the stuff or go hunting with a q tip soaked in it I'm waiting to see it works myself on a pretty sturdy snake plant before trying it on the rest. I brought home a pothos to replace one my plant sitter killed over Christmas that was infested with a bunch of eggs I guess, it was clean when I got it and then the next day the babies started showing up. I quarantined it and tried the alcohol route but I wasn't careful enough and some got in the soil so I just put the plant outside. Unfortunately now I'm finding them on my other plants, including my orchids, succulents and some indoor herbs. At this point I'm ready to give up on alcohol and dish soap washes and just nuke everything with some sort of pesticide if I have too but that would make the herbs inedible. I'm also worried abotu them spreading to my starter seed trays. So I guess I would like some mealy bug stories and tips too.