Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My car doesn't even have a seat belt receptacle for passenger side front seat and the belts are hidden in the back because I put the back seat together half assed after I rewired the car for my stereo. Makes it a lot easier to not give people a ride unless I really want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My lincoln is a 73, and not only does it have a seat belt buzzer, it actually has a weight sensor in the passenger seat, so the buzzer works for the passenger too :negative:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've kicked a few people out of my car when they refused to put on their seat belt in the back seat.

Yeah, gently caress you. I'm not going to be the SRS for your dumb rear end when you break my seat from the back.

(2 seater supremacy)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Negromancer posted:

Either you have a huge dog or your car has some really overly sensitive sensors. I have yet to have the passenger seatbelt sensor go off unless there is a person in the seat. Also, my dog gets seatbelted in the car, so that solves the problem as well.

Many cars will set off the passenger chime with just shoebox or laptop or handbag on the seat. I've dealt with this complaint countless times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess it's the Smart equivalent of someone parking their Ferrari across two spots. The owner of this car used to park rotated a full 90 degrees, but got ticketed for it. This is their response.

Wishing it doesn't make it so, bud. But dream on.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

My lincoln is a 73, and not only does it have a seat belt buzzer, it actually has a weight sensor in the passenger seat, so the buzzer works for the passenger too :negative:

My '72 Nova was like this. Seatbelt not buckled with weight in the seat? Constant buzz. In highschool, my books would set off the passenger buzzer if I went over a big enough bump.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Negromancer posted:

Either you have a huge dog or your car has some really overly sensitive sensors. I have yet to have the passenger seatbelt sensor go off unless there is a person in the seat. Also, my dog gets seatbelted in the car, so that solves the problem as well.

The latter. I've had fairly light grocery bags trigger it as well.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

rscott posted:

My car doesn't even have a seat belt receptacle for passenger side front seat and the belts are hidden in the back because I put the back seat together half assed after I rewired the car for my stereo. Makes it a lot easier to not give people a ride unless I really want to.

My 58 doesn't even have mounting holes for seatbelts. I'm going to die my first time driving it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

My 58 doesn't even have mounting holes for seatbelts. I'm going to die my first time driving it.

My 66 had aftermarket ones installed. While it had fancy three point harnesses, I'm pretty sure in any wreck the anchors would have pulled out. Or they'd actually hold and the belt would function like a cheese slicer, splitting me into three chunks of former human.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Seats are for passengers; put your cargo on the floor :colbert:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I've got a 2006 Focus and it has a weight sensor in the passenger seat but there is a weight limit to actually making the seatbelt chime go off. If the amount of weight is too low, like an 18 pack of beer for instance, the chimes won't go off but my Passenger Air Bag Off light will light up. I guess it is probably to protect against people who put rear facing child seats in the pass seat despite all the warnings telling you not to.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

neckbeard posted:

I went to go price one out on Nissan's site to see just how expensive they could get with all the options/accessories ($46K) and found that this is an accessory that Nissan offers on most of their SUVs

I hate the stereotype of Americans being all fatasses, but goddammit...

I will admit, when I first bought my XJ I needed to pick one of these up. I was a big fatty, The stock belt fit but was pulled tight. I've since lost 90lbs and no longer need it but it does come in handy from time to time for passengers.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

xzzy posted:

My 66 had aftermarket ones installed. While it had fancy three point harnesses, I'm pretty sure in any wreck the anchors would have pulled out. Or they'd actually hold and the belt would function like a cheese slicer, splitting me into three chunks of former human.

My '70 Cutlass had 3-points, but the shoulder belt was separate, with no reel (it folded up and slipped into clips in the headliner) and, as far as I can tell you either use the lap belt, or the shoulder belt. They both have the same connector, and I've only got one set of buckles. I think that there was supposed to be another set of buckles or something, since the lap belt buckles are long, basically meeting the other end in the middle, like racing belts. My '68 El Camino had a shoulder belt with a male and female end on it - you buckled the shoulder belt into the inside buckle, then connected the lap belt to the female receptacle on the shoulder belt. Still no reel on the shoulder belt.
I'll probably put some of the aftermarket 3-points in the Cutlass when I put in bucket seats. I've actually had an accident in the thing with just the lap belts on and whacked my forehead on the steering wheel.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

My '72 Nova was like this. Seatbelt not buckled with weight in the seat? Constant buzz. In highschool, my books would set off the passenger buzzer if I went over a big enough bump.

One of my fondest memories of my grandpa was his 72/73 4-dr nova and how he explained how his nova was the only year they had all of the crazy seatbelt buzzer stuff in them.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have a 2012 Impala with a passenger seat sensor that fucks up every once in a while. Most of the time it works as intended, but if I put two coke bottles or only me cell phone in, I have to buckle them up. A 6 pack doesnt need belted in but a 12 pack does need the belt.

The best part is I described this behavior in detail to the dealer over the phone and they said they would replace it no problem. But my car had 35,500 miles. . .

35,500: We cant find anything wrong!
35,600: We cant find anything wrong, but we can order the parts, come back next week!
35,850: Have a Sonic (poverty spec) today while we fix your car. . .
35,851: We were too busy all day, come back next week!
35,991: We need to take your car on a test drive! (WTF?)
36,007: your sensor is broke and out of warranty, it will cost $xxx and you cant leave because *important saftey equipment*.

I left, it's about 700 miles later and it is still broken.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Darchangel posted:

My '70 Cutlass had 3-points, but the shoulder belt was separate, with no reel (it folded up and slipped into clips in the headliner) and, as far as I can tell you either use the lap belt, or the shoulder belt. They both have the same connector, and I've only got one set of buckles. I think that there was supposed to be another set of buckles or something, since the lap belt buckles are long, basically meeting the other end in the middle, like racing belts. My '68 El Camino had a shoulder belt with a male and female end on it - you buckled the shoulder belt into the inside buckle, then connected the lap belt to the female receptacle on the shoulder belt. Still no reel on the shoulder belt.
I'll probably put some of the aftermarket 3-points in the Cutlass when I put in bucket seats. I've actually had an accident in the thing with just the lap belts on and whacked my forehead on the steering wheel.

My dad's got a '73 Cutlass and it has the separate shoulder strap that you have to clip into the lap belt's tongue before you insert the lap belt into the buckle, and then it all holds together. Not a lot of fun to fiddle with.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BraveUlysses posted:

One of my fondest memories of my grandpa was his 72/73 4-dr nova and how he explained how his nova was the only year they had all of the crazy seatbelt buzzer stuff in them.

Mine was a 4-door, too. Your grandpa was probably a pretty cool dude. In my '71, the lap and shoulder belts are completely separate. 2 straps, 2 buckles.

And my '72 was just like that. ^^^

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

Found this in a customer's car in the driver's seat-belt slot.

:downs:

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
My dad's Ford Flex won't beep but will disable (power off!) the radio until you clip your seatbelt.

I thought that was clever.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

"Honda" :haw:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Hey man, maybe he just wants to meet the nicest people

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

Those were legislated in and then out of existence pretty quickly due to problems, I guess. I think my parents' 510 had them.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Many cars will set off the passenger chime with just shoebox or laptop or handbag on the seat. I've dealt with this complaint countless times.

My car doesn't use a weight sensor, but an electrostatic sensor. So a laptop or your phone's touch screen will set it off.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ironblock posted:

This is why I like driving cars from the '60s. Health and saftey chime? You could probably find room under my solid steering column, next to the single-circuit brakes. :getin:

Truly; in my '65 Fury, seatbelts were an option, one the original owner did not choose. There were lugs welded onto the underside of the tunnel, but the pan wasn't ever cut.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Why not simply put the seat belt on before starting the car?

As I said, I've owned a lot of old lovely cars in my time where putting on your belt last was just what you had to do. In the face of weird engine noises, unexpected temp gauge spikes and the like, every time you started the car you needed to be ready to hop back out and kick it.

Even now that I drive a reliable car, 50% of the time I'll open the door and put the keys straight into the ignition and turn the engine on even before I get in, just so that I can hear it turn over.

Also, the two hands thing xzzy mentioned.

quote:

I don't mind the chime too much, but it would be better if it only woke up after the car was put into drive

And this would be a perfectly acceptable solution. I never go anywhere without my seatbelt on so it would let me keep the safety feature active while not having it smack my across the head every time I go for a drive.

And I've started a huge derail, so I'll stop here. It's more of a "trivial annoyances" than "terrible car stuff".

Here's something we can all agree on:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gorilla Salad posted:

Here's something we can all agree on:

"You missed your turn."

"poo poo. Now I have to drive around the earth again."

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

That picture doesn't do the car's insanity justice. Supposedly it has over $100k in it, complete with two 12As and two sets of Jaguar IRS. It also has bitchin' gullwing doors. The guy who bought it said it is just beautifully over-engineered in places.

Rear frame:

He paid $4500 for it and, spoiler alert, it doesn't run.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Ror posted:

over $100k in it
two 12As
two sets of Jaguar IRS.
gullwing doors.

That thing is like the car version of Hellraiser's puzzle-box. :catstare:

Ror posted:

spoiler alert, it doesn't run.

This is redundant :v:

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005

Wrong thread, I want to do this to my pile of poo poo Passport now.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

quote:

I don't mind the chime too much, but it would be better if it only woke up after the car was put into drive

The Ford transit vans I drive for work don't sound the seat belt chime until you're moving more than 5 mph or so. It's like it gives you every benefit of the doubt before telling you you're a retard.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Lots of military dudes think it's super cool to drive with no seatbelts because they totally remember that story of how someone's friend got blown up and they couldn't pull him out and more they just never wear it because car accidents are exactly like the aftermath of a roadside bomb hitting a military vehicle.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So Enterprise gave me a Chrysler 200 with just over 19000 on the clock. This car is a giant pile of poo poo. It sounds like there is a CV joint already going out on it. I loving hate rental cars so much. Anyone know how to lower the seat? I'm only 5'9 and my head is almost on the roof.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

So Enterprise gave me a Chrysler 200 with just over 19000 on the clock. This car is a giant pile of poo poo. It sounds like there is a CV joint already going out on it. I loving hate rental cars so much. Anyone know how to lower the seat? I'm only 5'9 and my head is almost on the roof.

Don't drive it in the snow, because it's even worse then. Rented one when my car was totaled last year and with a faint dusting it seemed like it took a quarter mile to come to a stop. Any time my foot went near the brake the ABS went nuts.

For how heavy it was, it didn't even pull all that great when I put the foot down.

What a horrible uninspired hunk of crap.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

if it has manual seats, there should be a lever that you pump down to go down, and pump up to go up.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I tried that, I think the seat might already be bottomed out. And speaking of snow. Guess what it did all day yesterday. I dropped off my Golf with brand spanking new snow tires at the body shop and got picked up in the 200. I was unable to back it into my garage due to the tires being so bad. Car barely fit in my garage.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The 200 is by far the worst "new" car I ever drove. Slow, terrible on gas, poorly made and poorly thought out. God, what a poo poo pile.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Nocheez posted:

The 200 is by far the worst "new" car I ever drove. Slow, terrible on gas, poorly made and poorly thought out. God, what a poo poo pile.

It's a Sebring with a new shirt, what do you expect?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wallaka posted:

Now I feel tainted having driven one for a couple weeks. It's one of those cars where the first 30 seconds are great. "Hey, decent interior, the seats seem comfy, and when I goose the throttle it makes a pleasing rev. Got a bit of a grandpa car feel to it but it's tolerable."

After about an hour though the illusion erodes and you regret the events in your life that brought you to this moment. After two weeks the car has revealed how miserable it is and is dragging you down with it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

wallaka posted:

Something far better for a car made in 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
My bar for rental car satisfaction was lowered considerably after I got an elantra with an interior that smelled so strongly of a mixture of motor oil and sweat it stuck to my clothes after getting out. A 200 would have been welcome.