Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Anyone know if there's a website detailing all the Arrow shooting locations? I attended UBC a few years back but haven't really seen a ton of super-obvious Vancouver sights (Like BSG which made no effort to hide anything).

This map seems to cover some of the more generic locations from season 1:
https://moviemaps.org/movies/n7

And here's a blog that seems to follow more closely:
http://yvrshoots.com/category/arrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Narcissus1916 posted:

Anyone know if there's a website detailing all the Arrow shooting locations? I attended UBC a few years back but haven't really seen a ton of super-obvious Vancouver sights (Like BSG which made no effort to hide anything).

Pretty much just look at my posting history. I try to not go overboard with it too e.g. I didn't even mention that street where Shrapnel was being chased by Arrow was a block from my house, that took effort.

They love filming a few blocks around Burrard inlet on both sides for urban scenes, and the "island" is in the north shore mountains. I can basically tell you where any scene is that has any background detail.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Awww, now I'm all nostalgic for my time up north and eating an ungodly amount of Vera's with Red Racer beers. I used to head over to the downtown area on the burrard bridge; not surprising that they've filmed around Stanley Park. Also happy to have it confirmed that they probably used some ritzy store and restaurant fronts in Gastown.

A bit sad that they haven't made their way over to UBC - Fringe and a few other shows seemed to be filming there every other day.

TLDR - Vancouver is pretty drat awesome, just sayin'.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jscolon2.0 posted:

Half empty: Huntress...
Half full: Canary!

Is it too much to hope that she learned how to act somewhere along the line?
Cause that'd be rad.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I will -- no joke no exaggeration no hyperbole whatsoever -- cheerfully absorb the absolute worst acting in the world and let it slide right off me so long as she stops loving whining like an overgrown leather-clad baby about every drat mean ol' booboo that ever happens to her.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

I will -- no joke no exaggeration no hyperbole whatsoever -- cheerfully absorb the absolute worst acting in the world and let it slide right off me so long as she stops loving whining like an overgrown leather-clad baby about every drat mean ol' booboo that ever happens to her.

Much like the Laurel complaining, we get it, people don't like Jessica De Gouw's acting/writing for the Huntress.

Instead, what would we like to see changed/improved upon specifically in her character? (Please do not just say a different actress, that poo poo isn't happpening).

edit: sorry late spoiler tag

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 28, 2014

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

hi liter posted:

Much like the Laurel complaining, we get it, people don't like Jessica De Gouw's acting/writing for the Huntress.

Instead, what would we like to see changed/improved upon specifically in her character? (Please do not just say a different actress, that poo poo isn't happpening).

Might want to edit your post as it kinda gives away exactly what everyone was spoiling. :)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Narcissus1916 posted:

Awww, now I'm all nostalgic for my time up north and eating an ungodly amount of Vera's with Red Racer beers. I used to head over to the downtown area on the burrard bridge; not surprising that they've filmed around Stanley Park. Also happy to have it confirmed that they probably used some ritzy store and restaurant fronts in Gastown.

A bit sad that they haven't made their way over to UBC - Fringe and a few other shows seemed to be filming there every other day.

TLDR - Vancouver is pretty drat awesome, just sayin'.

In the fine BC tradition of confusing the hell out of people geographically, Burrard bridge isn't on Burrard inlet (False Creek). Here's a handy map. I have way too much time on my hands.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

hi liter posted:

Step 1: Stop her vendetta against her dad. Get her the heck over it. Look, okay, he was a bad guy. He killed her boyfriend. Sucks for her! But her issues exist in the same universe where Oliver was stuck on Hell Island for five years and Sara got forced to kill parents in front of their children. Put any of them anywhere in proximity to each other and Helena just comes across as the most melodramatic whiner ever. Give her some xanax, put it to rest.

Step 2: Get Oliver over her. That ship has sailed and sank. Don't even try it. Nuh uh, shhhhhh, just don't.

Step 3: Power her down until she does something to earn being overpowered. The idea that someone like her could give someone like Oliver any trouble at all in a fight doesn't make her look better, it just makes Oliver look worse. I'm reminded of a terrible running theme in Supernatural where characters that have just been introduced ten minutes ago are inexplicably cooler and better at the protagonists at doing their jobs. It is a terrible thing to do, do not do this.

Step 4: Make her do something heroic. Force her to do something heroic, if you have to! This character is a hero in the comics who fought alongside Batman and Wonder Woman and turned away from a life in the mob to become a schoolteacher. This conception of Helena as someone who would threaten and hurt innocent people to get what she wants is anathema to her very core.

Step 5: You guessed it...profit.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

hi liter posted:

She can go to Gotham and stay there forever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Step 4: Make her do something heroic. Force her to do something heroic, if you have to! This character is a hero in the comics who fought alongside Batman and Wonder Woman and turned away from a life in the mob to become a schoolteacher. This conception of Helena as someone who would threaten and hurt innocent people to get what she wants is anathema to her very core.

Batman has kicked her out of the JLA like 4 times now.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

leidend posted:

In the fine BC tradition of confusing the hell out of people geographically, Burrard bridge isn't on Burrard inlet (False Creek). Here's a handy map. I have way too much time on my hands.

This is fascinating. It's amazing how Vancouver is now one of those cities everyone's aesthetically familiar with, without knowing anything about it. Especially because of Battlestar, though. Caprica City just is Vancouver. Now I can't see Vancouver without fearing Cylons.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I don't know that much about her from the comics, but in Justice League Unlimited she had a definite edge as well and was also kicked out of the Justice League for going rogue and trying to murder someone.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

You keep mentioning this, but Batman has kicked everyone out of everything, up to and including his own wards from his own house. He'd kick the current Arrow and Canary out of the JLA without a second thought as well.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BrianWilly posted:

You keep mentioning this, but Batman has kicked everyone out of everything, up to and including his own wards from his own house. He'd kick the current Arrow and Canary out of the JLA without a second thought as well.

Because they are unrepentant murderers :confused:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bad Moon posted:

Because they are unrepentant murderers :confused:

Hey now, Ollie's getting better about that.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/arrow-exclusive-sneak-peek-oliver-takes-roy-under-his-wing

Preview clip from tomorrow's episode.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

So, like, is everyone just taking pity on Oliver and pretending to not recognize him in his tiny little mask?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Leb posted:

So, like, is everyone just taking pity on Oliver and pretending to not recognize him in his tiny little mask?

I certainly hope so. The others can at least use the excuse of it was dark and night time. Here Roy is looking right at him and its pretty well lit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Leb posted:

Oliver: "It's me. I'm the vigilante."
Quentin and Roy: "Uh, who did you think you were fooling, again?"

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Warmachine posted:

Oliver: "It's me. I'm the vigilante."
Quentin and Roy: "Uh, who did you think you were fooling, again?"

The power of his neckbeard confuses anyone who gazes upon it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I still think that none of the characters on the show know it's him other than the ones who already do, obviously. There would simply be no reason for anyone to not immediately go 'Holy poo poo it's you!' if they actually knew considering the poo poo Ollie's done since becoming the vigilante. It's not exactly a thing you just brush off and pretend to not notice. I mean, think about how Tommy reacted when he found out.

And for what it's worth, Ollie's established a pretty solid reputation as a guy who basically did nothing but party his entire life and has only recently started running the family business. It's not that surprising (for a TV show based on a comic book) that people don't immediately recognize him since they'd never think that it could be him to begin with.

Except both Lances. It's downright silly that neither of them has recognized Ollie yet.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The fact that Arrow is a famous person and goes around without even half of a mask really is quite odd.

BrianWilly posted:

Or the show could just totally diverge from the comics and tell a new story based on a few ideas from the source material? Because that's okay too.

quote:

Step 5: You guessed it...profit.
You are better than this. :smith:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

First off, naw, I'm probably not :buddy:

Secondly, that only works when you change things for the better. Oliver himself is virtually nothing like he was in the comics or cartoons and that's worked out great. Slade as well. But I think it's pretty evident how the consensus about Helena swings.

Recasting a superhero as a supervillain for some reason was a weird, dicey idea in the first place. Yes, they're clearly playing a long game with her but, c'mon, they even had Barry Allen list her in his rolodex of evildoers Oliver has had to face off against...she's placed in the same category of bad guys as the Dollmaker! Understandably so, considering the way she's behaved, which is such an inexplicable perversion of the original character that can't just be explained away as them adapting things for a new story. It was a bad call, plain and simple.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

First off, naw, I'm probably not :buddy:

Secondly, that only works when you change things for the better. Oliver himself is virtually nothing like he was in the comics or cartoons and that's worked out great. Slade as well. But I think it's pretty evident how the consensus about Helena swings.

Recasting a superhero as a supervillain for some reason was a weird, dicey idea in the first place. Yes, they're clearly playing a long game with her but, c'mon, they even had Barry Allen list her in his rolodex of evildoers Oliver has had to face off against...she's placed in the same category of bad guys as the Dollmaker! Understandably so, considering the way she's behaved, which is such an inexplicable perversion of the original character that can't just be explained away as them adapting things for a new story. It was a bad call, plain and simple.

Huntress was portrayed that way in the comics for a long time, she's killed in the name of "justice."

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Spoilerific stills from Feb 5 episode

Goddamn, Nyssa looks amazing

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

TVIV > Arrow Season 2: Giving Comic Book Fans Comic Book Boners

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
A monologue on the salmon ladder? :allears:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Wow, we're that close? Sometimes I forget how fast this show moves.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Warmachine posted:

Wow, we're that close? Sometimes I forget how fast this show moves.

They introduced and killed off five major DC supervillains in the time it took you to type that post.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Phylodox posted:

They introduced and killed off five major DC supervillains in the time it took you to type that post.

Constantine Drakon was a sad waste, stemming from a different period of the show.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

e X posted:

Constantine Drakon was a sad waste, stemming from a different period of the show.

He could just be minorly wounded and coming back for revenge!

Eddain
May 6, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Slightly more evil twin brother!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oliver literally shot Count Vertigo in the heart and Deadshot in the head and they both came back.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Oliver literally shot Count Vertigo in the heart and Deadshot in the head and they both came back.

I thought he only injected the Count with an overdose of vertigo the first time around? And in the second encounter he was still comatose, he shot the doctor with triple arrows. And in the third encounter he killed the Count.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Eddain posted:

I thought he only injected the Count with an overdose of vertigo the first time around? And in the second encounter he was still comatose, he shot the doctor with triple arrows. And in the third encounter he killed the Count.

...crap, I mixed the first two together. I totally forgot the evil psychiatrist from the second one, so I assumed it was the Count.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

e X posted:

Waste of a character, and waste of an actor/stuntman. Darren Shahlavi is the poo poo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Someday Oliver is going to need to learn that arrow through the eye is apparently not an effective method of killing people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Salmon Ladders!

• Locked thread