Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dr Christmas posted:

A few weeks ago, weren't people complaining about wussification at the mere suggestion that what that Incognito guy did was not okay?

Yeah, but he was white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Go gently caress yourself, Macklemore, you self-important piece of poo poo.

Dr Christmas posted:

A few weeks ago, weren't people complaining about wussification at the mere suggestion that what that Incognito guy did was not okay?
You bet. And don't forget that you can be cut for speaking out about gay rights or blacklisted for suspicion of being gay.

If the players' union strikes to end these atrocious labor practices, I'd be willing to lose a whole season of the NFL.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Halfway to an EGOT! :toot:

All the way there. :colbert:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr Christmas posted:

No but that was a white dude, he doesn't scare middle aged sports reporters.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

raditts posted:

Yeah, but he was white.

Friendly Reminder #2: Last year, the rap categories (with 0 white nominees) didn't even make it onto the telecast.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wait...what?

Edit: I didn't understand that. Why are their gentiles on the Grammy?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Never been sadder at a blurred image.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Friendly Reminder #2: Last year, the rap categories (with 0 white nominees) didn't even make it onto the telecast.
Friendly Reminder #3: White rappers have been nominated 6 times for best rap album, and they have won all but one of those Grammys (in case you're wondering, Kanye West won in 2005 over Beastie Boys' "To the 5 Boroughs").

Friendly Reminder #4: No black artist spent time at the top of the Billboard charts in 2013, the first time since 1958. And a white person topped the R&B and hip-hop charts 44 weeks out of 52.

It was a good year for music, if you were white.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Seeing Nate Silver again reminds me of that natesilverwrong.com site that somebody put up because they were so certain that his 2012 election predictions would be wrong...

...and then it mysteriously vanished when all the results came in and he hit every single one. Good times.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Political media has an incentive to portray races as down to the wire? Why I never...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

raditts posted:

Seeing Nate Silver again reminds me of that natesilverwrong.com site that somebody put up because they were so certain that his 2012 election predictions would be wrong...

...and then it mysteriously vanished when all the results came in and he hit every single one. Good times.

Remember when that Unskew guy said he knew more about stats than Nate because Nate was a big girly human being?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait...what?

Edit: I didn't understand that. Why are their gentiles on the Grammy?

Well the Jews can't be on it, they need to keep people believing they don't control the media!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Remember when that Unskew guy said he knew more about stats than Nate because Nate was a big girly human being?

I'm looking at his wikipedia page now. How accurate was 538?

raditts posted:

Well the Jews can't be on it, they need to keep people believing they don't control the media!
Oh god dammit, I meant genitles. God drat auto correct.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BigRed0427 posted:

100%. In 2008 as well as 2012 I believe.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

100% I believe, or if not like, 99.9% He legitimately is very smart about numbers and poo poo.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

100% I believe, or if not like, 99.9% He legitimately is very smart about numbers and poo poo.

Reality has a librul bias :argh:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

100%. In 2008 as well as 2012 I believe.
He got them all right in 2012, and in 2008 he got all of them right except for Missouri.

Edit: By the way, Jon mentioned "Bagel a Go-Go" during that interview and I said that this place was a few blocks north of me. I mixed that up with "Pick-A-Bagel." To my knowledge, there is no Bagel A Go-Go on 72nd St., and if it is, it's on the West Side. I live on the east side and I've never seen this place.

In all likelihood, it closed down a looooong time ago.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 28, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Tumblr-esque animosity whenever Macklemore is brought up in this thread always seems kind of excessive to me. I get that him basically playing the role of easily digestible rap artist for White America is distasteful and off-putting and he sometimes makes ill-advised changes to live performances, but it never comes off as noticeably worse than what other performers have done. He never said he hoped that a Holocaust victim would've been a fan of his or violently beat down on his girlfriend or put hashtags in any of his songs. But then I also thought Can't Hold Us was my favorite pop song last year, so I guess my opinions might just be kind of poo poo. :shrug:

Relatedly, today I learned that a lot of pop artists have their Wikipedia articles locked down.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

The Tumblr-esque animosity whenever Macklemore is brought up in this thread always seems kind of excessive to me. I get that him basically playing the role of easily digestible rap artist for White America is distasteful and off-putting and he sometimes makes ill-advised changes to live performances, but it never comes off as noticeably worse than what other performers have done. He never said he hoped that a Holocaust victim would've been a fan of his or violently beat down on his girlfriend or put hashtags in any of his songs. But then I also thought Can't Hold Us was my favorite pop song last year, so I guess my opinions might just be kind of poo poo. :shrug:
Even when you put aside all the critiques we talked about in this thread, the fact remains that Kendrick Lamar got screwed.

Edit: Also, this tweet. Yes, it's from an Immortal Technique song, but keep in mind that Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll has been friends with him since before he got big, and he's also a 9/11 truther. Makes you think....

Edit 2: You did this, Stephen!

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 28, 2014

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Strange Quark posted:

Relatedly, today I learned that a lot of pop artists have their Wikipedia articles locked down.

Choose any or all of the following:

A: He gets lauded as "the one good rapper" because "he has a message", which is incredibly ignorant since popular modern hip-hop acts (kanye, kendrick lamar, frank ocean, et al) have been putting out music with positive messages for years now

B: He gets lauded as "the one good rapper" because he supports LGBTQ rights, which is again horribly ignorant because huge portions of modern hip-hop have been completely accepting of things like frank ocean coming out as gay through twitter and poo poo, they just don't write mawkish songs about it

C: He gets lauded as "the one good rapper" because he's white, which let's be honest nobody actually admits but it happens

D: He revels in his position as Official Rap LGBTQ Spokesman without taking any time to point out LGBTQ rappers who have been fighting the fight for decades

E: He turns his position of Official Rap LGBTQ Spokesman into garish spectacles like that awful wedding at the Grammys, which was a terrible publicity stunt for all parties involved

F: He is a ho bag (for certain definitions of ho bag that I didn't know existed, but whatever)

G: He is essentially White Will Smith for the 21st century, in that his music is bland and inoffensive (unless you're a bigot), which is totally OK if you're into sterility but not the type of thing that should win an award for Best Thing

H: He is ultimately a middling-at-best rapper who says some pretty ok things but is forever tainted by his awful fans that insist he is The Best, and we'd all probably be able to tolerate him if they'd shut the gently caress up

Feel free to add to the list if your favorite opinion isn't on it.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

404GoonNotFound posted:

Oh what the gently caress, he got FINED for that?

He got fined for the choking gesture, which isn't unusual and clearly spelled out.

It's also hilarious that they played up his taunting of Crabtree at the end of the game as sincere.

Rhonne posted:

Yeah that was pretty dumb, but I wonder how much of a hit was fine really was compare to how much he's actually payed?

He's on a minimum salary (or close to at about 500k).

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it's nuts how the actual context makes it super clear he's just a normal dude who got hosed with and got pissed off. Gee I wonder why no one shows that extra clip before going into rants about how he's a dumb dirty thug.

He's a clever marketer. He's going to make a shitload of money off that interview. As I said earlier, the pat on the rear end of Crabtree and the offer to shake his hand immediately after ending their season (technically the game wasn't over) is pure strain trolling, which is something Sherman's been doing for a while.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

And bit the beat to Thrift Shop from an actual gay black artist.

I fuckin hate Macklemore so much, also his album sucked and only won because of the gay song, gently caress that.

He took a good beat from a terrible song and made a good song out of it. You don't get bonus points for being terrible while gay and black.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

amaranthine posted:

Feel free to add to the list if your favorite opinion isn't on it.
He brought a Rolling Stone interview crew into an Austin Alcoholics Anonymous meeting during SXSW.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I swear, Jon Stewart did the exact same "hide under the desk and ask if the scary black man is gone" bit in his very first episode.

Or one of his first.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I swear, Jon Stewart did the exact same "hide under the desk and ask if the scary black man is gone" bit in his very first episode.

Or one of his first.

I prefer when Jon puts on pearls to clutch.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Bashez posted:

He took a good beat from a terrible song and made a good song out of it. You don't get bonus points for being terrible while gay and black.

But you do for being white and terrible, apparently.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 28, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So Thrift Shop is a "good song" and Can't Hold Us was somebody's favorite song of last year.

You learn new and interesting things here in the Daily Show thread.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Did colbert murder pete seeger by stealing his grammy?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Some people have different tastes in music and that's okay.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
#StayHannity It's not uncensored.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Thanks to the Tea Party response to the SOTU, I can't wait for tomorrow's episodes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Ahaahhah "There coming to get you Barbra"

E: oh god this is going to piss me off

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 29, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Can you blame him?

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
This isn't going to end well.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Another thing you learn in Macroeconomics when it comes to price and demand: inferior and normal goods.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
These 35 year old Teenagers are just wanting too much!!!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nobody knows more about poverty wages than a loving CEO.

By the way, Obama can't raise the minimum wage by himself- only the minimum wage for federal contractors.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Goddamn hypothetical people need to stop being actually real :freep:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If i have to give into the demand for higher wages, my demand for a second home in Ibiza will decline.

Hah, hah HAH! People don't go hungry in a capitalist society. This guy has never, never ever interacted with someone who is worth less than 1 million dollars a year.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
People don't go hungry in capitalism.

Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm not a Marxist revolutionary, but I want to murder a CEO once an hour, every hour, until people stop being loving stupid.

Starting with this shitstain.

• Locked thread