Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I loved the fact that you checked the secret compartment in the computer room. A surprisingly large number of players don't realise thats there.

Plus, its always nice to hear the Hitman theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Penakoto posted:

I particularly like you playing "the floor is lava" while explaining the 0451 code.

Nah, if you listen to the sound effects he was clearly making JC tap dance on the the furniture/potted plants.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Incidentally, the Tom Robbins book mentioned in the "Bootcamp for Betty" article is a real book, presumably Still Life with Woodpecker, which is has a few descriptions of homemade bombs in it. No idea if any of them actually work.

Edit: I was nearly screaming at you every time you passed through Alec's office until you finally remembered to enter his crawlspace.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 27, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Placing furniture around in Deus Ex is one of my favorite past times.

:911:

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Slimnoid posted:

I could've sworn one of the objectives for this level was "bring all the potted plants and sofas to JC's office".

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
I feel like the dialogue you're getting in a number of places is slightly more friendly and less dystopian than I've ever noticed. Gunther being friendly and more people treating you like an absolute rookie really changes the vibe.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, if you listen to the sound effects he was clearly making JC tap dance on the the furniture/potted plants.

Some objects you aren't allowed to land properly on, hence the "tap-dancing" effect. JC's bouncing on them. It's really hard to stay on, too, because the physics try to bounce you away from the object.

... "And go in, and go in, and go in, and go in like the US Marshalls and his three daughters."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, one of the points is that the majority of UNACTO's guys are actually pretty decent people who really do think they're making a difference and fighting terrorists. I think they get that across quite well in the game; I always liked walking around UNATCO HQ and talking to my fellow officers.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Yeah, so in this video we began to see some of the reasons I'm not a fan of this texture pack. The certificate in Jaime's office is a nice illustration of why higher resolution isn't necessarily an improvement -- blurry text is better than being able to read "AWARD OF EXCELLENCE For Their Role in the Design and Construction of Relief Fire Co. / Residence Renovation" hanging on a doctor's office wall.

Also misplaced apostrophes trigger me. (And that is not how semicolons work dammit. And UNATCO shouldn't be spaced out with periods like that, the O doesn't stand for a separate word.)

To be fair, it is a lot better than most texture packs, and most of the really bad stuff is limited to Hong Kong (but I'll complain about that when we get to it).

thingsareswinging
Jun 2, 2013
"A thief?" JC remarks, taken aback, his trenchcoat pockets bulging with darts, credits, and multitools.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

One of the games had the disco level triggered by taking the flag from the base entrance and dropping it into the toilet. (I think it was IW? How do you get to the disco level in DX1 anyway?)

Soricidus posted:

blurry text is better than being able to read "AWARD OF EXCELLENCE For Their Role in the Design and Construction of Relief Fire Co. / Residence Renovation" hanging on a doctor's office wall.
Says you. I loved it :allears:

quote:

Also misplaced apostrophes trigger me.
Here, however, my reaction was the same. I was better not knowing. There's something wrong with me.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 27, 2014

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I always feel bad when I break open the cardboard boxes in JC's office. Poor guy doesn't actually own anything, he just put some boxes in there to look like he's moving in. :(

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mzbundifund posted:

I always feel bad when I break open the cardboard boxes in JC's office. Poor guy doesn't actually own anything, he just put some boxes in there to look like he's moving in. :(
That's the furniture. What, you think UNATCO's budget is going to pay for cupboards and filing cabinets? Count yourself lucky you got a desk, buddy, we've got a deficit to deal with here.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
From my experience with certain co-workers, I can tell you that Gunther's writing style is 100% realistic even for people who speak English natively. Some people just don't know how the hell to write an e-mail. I do run into fewer of them every year, but many yet survive in the wild.

The fact that everyone's passwords are stupid, known to at least one other individual, and scattered around the office in writing is also, sadly, realistic.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

idonotlikepeas posted:

The fact that everyone's passwords are stupid, known to at least one other individual, and scattered around the office in writing is also, sadly, realistic.

Push E to find Manderley's password written underneath his keyboard on a post-it.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Pierzak posted:

One of the games had the disco level triggered by taking the flag from the base entrance and dropping it into the toilet. (I think it was IW? How do you get to the disco level in DX1 anyway?)
It's the flag into Manderley's office toilet, then flushing, in IW. Which I half-expected to happen in this video, even though it wouldn't have done anything!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Soricidus posted:

That's the furniture. What, you think UNATCO's budget is going to pay for cupboards and filing cabinets? Count yourself lucky you got a desk, buddy, we've got a deficit to deal with here.

Presumably that's what his bonus is for. "You did good, JC. Go buy yourself a nice chair."

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Revenant Threshold posted:

It's the flag into Manderley's office toilet, then flushing, in IW.
Ah right, I totally forgot this base was in IW, tried to do the same here and wondered why the gently caress it wasn't working.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

resurgam40 posted:

Haven't watched the Conspiracy Corner yet, being at work, but I have to say antics are one of the greatest things about this game, and I applaud you for indulging. It is endlessly amusing to me that you can do anything from throwing things at people's heads to stuff like stealing keys and supplies, view case sensitive passwords and hack people's computers with them still in the room, and never get a stronger reaction than "Hey! Cut that out!". I work for the government, and though the work I do isn't that important to the grand scheme of things, if I was caught putting furniture on my superiors desk, there would be a much stronger reprimand than allegations that I was a clumsy jokester.

Honestly, I don't know what my boss would do if I tried to put a couch on his desk. I don't think I'd be fired, but he sure as hell would be confused.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I think that's everything, yeah. I waster a lot of picks in the old days before I found out there's keys for all the doors in UNATCO. Well, except for the one in back, but we'll hold off on that one... :v:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Psion posted:

Push E to find Manderley's password written underneath his keyboard on a post-it.

One of the things that Deus Ex and games like it inspired me to do was to put a bunch of sticky notes in various places around and in my desk with passwords on them. They aren't real passwords, of course. It brings me joy to imagine someone coming across them and trying to use them for something.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Soricidus posted:

Most of the annual budget probably went into making J.C. an augmented super weapon, he's lucky the whole department have got desks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Slimnoid posted:

I take it you are a fan of Mars Attacks?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
The vending machine strikes again :argh:

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Slimnoid posted:

Let's take the opportunity to plug the Old Man Murray walkthrough of Deus Ex, which enthralled Ion Storm so much they had to build it into Invisible War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SAujETBQwI

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I've always been partial to the Sunglasses at Night walkthough but I don't want to start discussing stuff that hasn't really happened yet. There's still plenty of wacky antics to come from abusing this engine.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I've always been partial to the Sunglasses at Night walkthough but I don't want to start discussing stuff that hasn't really happened yet. There's still plenty of wacky antics to come from abusing this engine.
Oh god thank you for this reminder. That guy also did my very favorite rundown of System Shock 1, Good ol Mr Gibbons.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
I have to say, for all the ridiculous nonsense in the Midnight Sun articles, the claim that specifically targeting the indigent is the best way to weaken a society for invasion cracks me up more than anything else. The indigent, after all, are pretty much by definition not currently contributing to the overall functioning of a society, so killing them off preferentially is not going to be all that useful to an outside enemy. It just boggles the mind that even a tabloid like that makes that sort of analytic error.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Section Z posted:

Oh god thank you for this reminder. That guy also did my very favorite rundown of System Shock 1, Good ol Mr Gibbons.

Yeah, that site is hysterically funny; of the stuff we've already gotten past, I like his remarks about how Paul complains if you pick up a sniper rifle but if you pick the GEP he approves - "the idea that we are going to use it on people has obviously not entered into his darkest dreams". Also pretty amusing doing the take a box of TNT and go talk to Paul at the end trick he suggests, where upon doing so you drop said box and blow your legs off despite this causing no apparent impact on your ability to speak. Really, the number of things that can go on without affecting cutscenes in this game is incredible; in addition to the ever-popular "throw a gas grenade and watch everybody constantly bob up and down with pain noises during the chat", I remember trying a trick listed on that site for foiling an ambush by way of placing bombs where the enemies spawn in after the conversation that triggers it. I messed up the placement and all the enemies immediately ran into the background of the cutscene and politely waited for me to finish speaking before murdering me in thanks for my presents. Anyway, site is here if folks are interested; even if you don't want to read spoilers for this game he's got several other ones he's reviewed in similar fashion that are worth the read.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

nweismuller posted:

I have to say, for all the ridiculous nonsense in the Midnight Sun articles, the claim that specifically targeting the indigent is the best way to weaken a society for invasion cracks me up more than anything else. The indigent, after all, are pretty much by definition not currently contributing to the overall functioning of a society, so killing them off preferentially is not going to be all that useful to an outside enemy. It just boggles the mind that even a tabloid like that makes that sort of analytic error.

Try telling that to David Cage.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Kangra posted:

Try telling that to David Cage.

Clarify, please?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's a joking reference to Fahrenheit:Indigo Prophecy (David Cage being the lead designer). It's not revealed until well into the game, but the homeless are by and large members of a shadow organization that has secretly been keeping a bunch of other secret evil groups in check throughout history. It kind of fits right in with Deus Ex, although even more crazy, especially since there's practically no hint of it early on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nweismuller posted:

The Midnight Sun is really confusing in its insanity at times.

But, in the end, it makes a remarkable amount of sense.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Am I the only one that finds Manderly paying JC on the spot super weird? JC is a government agent and should receive his salary monthly or bi-weekly, and any performance bonuses would probably come at the end of the fiscal period after review. Manderly just straight up chucks money at JC like he's a temporary mercenary or small-time contract killer. JC is a test run of bleeding edge nanotechnology whose performance may determine the fate of the entire nanoaug program. If UNATCO wanted to give him performance bonuses, why not more and better equipment from the armory and earlier access aug canisters? Either of those would be way more useful than a handful of credits.

Also, shouldn't any of the UNATCO agents with weapons and powers of arrest have the title of Special Agent? My immersion! :qq:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Am I the only one that finds Manderly paying JC on the spot super weird? JC is a government agent and should receive his salary monthly or bi-weekly, and any performance bonuses would probably come at the end of the fiscal period after review. Manderly just straight up chucks money at JC like he's a temporary mercenary or small-time contract killer. JC is a test run of bleeding edge nanotechnology whose performance may determine the fate of the entire nanoaug program. If UNATCO wanted to give him performance bonuses, why not more and better equipment from the armory and earlier access aug canisters? Either of those would be way more useful than a handful of credits.

Also, shouldn't any of the UNATCO agents with weapons and powers of arrest have the title of Special Agent? My immersion! :qq:

I was thinking of bringing that up, actually, but I didn't have the time. On-the-spot commissions are pretty strange for a government (or super-government) organization. While on the one hand this sort of micromanaged payments could help incentivize proper behavior, it also empowers Manderley to an exceptional degree, since he has final control over payroll disbursement. So once you realize what Manderley's really there for, the fact that they changed the rules in this manner makes perfect sense.

As for the second point, UNATCO is not a United States entity and therefore doesn't have to follow the title conventions of any US agency.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A small note: there is a music track that will only play in combat while in the unatco building. Since it's unlikely you'll ever hear it unless you start dicking around with godmode and a GEP gun, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNHl9AFcTDs

also, noclipping through the building reveals that the boxes in carter's office are empty, there is nothing of interest on his computer and behind that retinal scanner is nothing but a boring, empty concrete corridor.

double nine fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 28, 2014

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

By the end of this Let's Play we should make an index of good Deus Ex videos because it seems like they are almost infinite, from the classics to poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn1OkZ3v9kU

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 28, 2014

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

double nine posted:

A small note: there is a music track that will only play in combat while in the unatco building. Since it's unlikely you'll ever hear it unless you start dicking around with godmode and a GEP gun, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNHl9AFcTDs

also, noclipping through the building reveals that the boxes in carter's office are empty, there is nothing of interest on his computer and behind that retinal scanner is nothing but a boring, empty concrete corridor.

I am amazed that I am still learning things about this game after so many years. I can't believe they would put in a track for that. Maybe they had planned for more use of it earlier in development?

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Here's a video that features both of the above. DEATH TO THE CLEANER BOT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZE8ozyg-k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

How can you mention Dulles without dedicating some time to the Dulles Plan? (Probably because that conspiracy theory never made its way out West, but still)

• Locked thread