Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Now looking at that one image it's impossible to see anything but two bears high fiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is that FO3->FNV conversion trucking along? Is it stable enough for normal gameplay?

Beyond a fixable crashing issue with Mothership Zeta and some balance issues, it's quite stable so long as you follow the install directions.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Crashing issues with Mothership Zeta might significantly improve that DLC.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ddraig posted:

Now looking at that one image it's impossible to see anything but two bears high fiving.

How to piss off therapists, apparently.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Derpy question - FONV/PC: I managed to get liked by the Legion by turning in dogtags, but hadn't spoken to Caesar yet; after leaving the Fort anbd heading back up the road towards Searchlight, a Disguised Frumentari arrives... kiting a bunch of Ghouls. (I'm running high-spawn-level IWS.) He lasts quite a while, as ED-E and I are both blasting away, but eventually dies... before informing me of the Legion loot boxes.

I've since spoken to the old dude, done some quests (and stealth-axemurdered every non-named Legion both at the Cove and the Fort), turned in more dogtags and gotten to "Idolized". No more Frumentari have tried to contact me... am I locked out of free loot? (I'd prefer not to console it - and the lootboxes are the only thing keeping me from taking Boone out for a walk. :black101:)

The FONV wiki suggests that the guy should respawn every three days, but it's been much longer than that, and I've been stooging around in areas where I've had Frumentari encounters in previous playthroughs.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm pretty sure the drop boxes just respawn every couple of days and the Frumentarii is just there to say "Hey, you can get this stuff now".

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I didn't care for LR, which is a shame because it was the DLC I was most looking forward to. The biggest complaint was it was all based around this suddenly out of nowhere past that the Courier has. I guess before the game started you helps create some long distance trails and also helped found a town? I guess that's good to know. Ulysses' motivation for hating you are also terrible. Should you check every package you deliver to make sure it doesn't set off a score of previously unknown nukes underneath the town you're delivering it to, or only sometimes?

It's a much lesser complaint, and I know Fallout has never been a bastion of accurate science, but setting off nukes just to clear a few old cars out of your path is very :psyduck:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Ddraig posted:

I'm pretty sure the drop boxes just respawn every couple of days and the Frumentarii is just there to say "Hey, you can get this stuff now".

Prob is, boxes haven't spawened at *all*. IE, dude got et before he could tell me. (I only know it was him because his ID showed up in VATS, and on the corpse I looted.)

Fun fact: even if you go all LEGION DELENDA EST after the boxes first appear, the Legion keeps dropping poo poo in 'em. drat right you best be making offerings to Death On Two Legs, suckas... that way, I kill you quick. I *could* let the Cyberdog have you.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

The biggest complaint was it was all based around this suddenly out of nowhere past that the Courier has.
It doesn't really come out of nowhere. Your character is established as being a courier by the main game's opening cutscene. Couriers deliver stuff.
As for Ulysses. Yeah, his motivation is terrible. But I saw that as the point of his character. He's basically a broken man who lost everything he believed in and when looking for something or someone to blame, fixates on the Courier: Someone whose actions have pretty large consequences - both intended and unintended (which really is the theme DLC tries to drive home).

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's a much lesser complaint, and I know Fallout has never been a bastion of accurate science, but setting off nukes just to clear a few old cars out of your path is very :psyduck:
I don't recall the DLC ever going into detail about it, but the explosions from the warheads you detonate with the laser detonator likely aren't nuclear explosions. They're way smaller then the explosion from the warhead you use to "create" the Courier's Mile after all.
Nuclear bombs require very specific things to happen to a critical mass before they go boom. It's not so simple as lighting the fuse of a stick of dynamite and running like hell. For example the implosion-design has conventional explosives packed around the critical mass and that are detonated in sequence to achieve a uniform wave of force that squeezes the critical mass. If those conventional explosives are detonated out of sequence then no big nuclear boom, only a little conventional boom. The laser detonator probably sets of the detonator of the nuclear bomb, not the bomb itself.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ddraig posted:

I always have and continue to see that as two sumo wrestlers shoving each other.

I'm afraid of what someone would think if I told them that while it was being used for its actual purpose.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The explosions you set off with the laser detonator are barely mini-nuke level and certainly not anywhere near what those warheads are actually capable of. Fire some missiles at the Legion and NCR to see what those warheads can do when they're giving 100% :stare:

I kind of wonder if that juxtaposition of something close to an actual nuclear impact site and the Fat Man explosions you set off with the detonator was intentional, like a criticism of the way the mini nukes trivialise the sheer scale of nuclear weaponry. Let's pretend it is.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The laser detonator probably blows up the conventional explosives that trigger the bomb. So they're basically dirty bombs.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

2house2fly posted:

I kind of wonder if that juxtaposition of something close to an actual nuclear impact site and the Fat Man explosions you set off with the detonator was intentional, like a criticism of the way the mini nukes trivialise the sheer scale of nuclear weaponry. Let's pretend it is.
Tactical nukes and strategic nukes are legitimately different scales, though. A pistol doesn't trivialize the power of an A-10's 30mm rotary cannon, the two are just designed for different purposes.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Raygereio posted:

It doesn't really come out of nowhere. Your character is established as being a courier by the main game's opening cutscene. Couriers deliver stuff.

It contradicted the backstory I came up with my first character. He was a tribal had never been to the NCR, and just started working for Mojave Express with hopes of getting to see more of the world. Nope, you've been to the NCR before and were a well-known courier who helped build up a small civilization.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
If you were well known before, why didn't anyone ever recognize you?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
You were only well-known to Ulysses because he was obsessed with you. To everyone else you're just one of many couriers an caravaneers to drop off supplies.

And yeah, the courier can have a pretty rich history of traveling even before Lonesome Road, as much of the dialogue makes offhand references to it; you mention seeing that singer in New Reno, having decent knowledge of the BoS, asking others what it's like back home, and Lady Killers even drop a line about being in Montana seventeen years prior. Which you may take as a joke, but I treat it as the strictest canon :colbert:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Isn't one of the big themes of Lonesome Road the use of and misinterpretation of symbols and signs? Combined with everybody pointing out how pathetic Ulysses is and the other theme of letting go, maybe he's not focused on you so much as he's focused on the myth of Courier Six, and, whatever history you choose for your character, you happen to be in slot number six on the Mojave Express personnel board, which is why he's focused on you. Does that work as an alternate interpretation for people with different histories than what Ulysses suggests?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

It contradicted the backstory I came up with my first character. He was a tribal had never been to the NCR, and just started working for Mojave Express with hopes of getting to see more of the world. Nope, you've been to the NCR before and were a well-known courier who helped build up a small civilization.
You didn't help to build it, it happened in your wake without you knowing about it. That's why you don't remember it; you did a lot of travelling and the divide was just one destination of many. Personally I didn't mind being told my character had been a courier for years, as in the mutant-infested post-nuclear desert it's probably the kind of job where you either wouldn't last very long or you'd become a seasoned badass and travel all over. Of course if it contradicts your backstory Ulysses comes across crazy enough that you could just write what he says off as getting you mixed up with someone else and you humouring him when you talk about "what I did".

There is one bit of Lonesome Road though that really makes me think "what the hell were you thinking" and it's in the ending where you kill Ulysses. His ending narration says "in the end only one courier remained, the true courier, Courier Six." Uh what? The "true" courier? We weren't fighting over who gets to refer to themselves as Courier! We can both be called Couriers if we want! I guess Ulysses was doing that thing where he idealises couriers as powerful agents of change, and saying that, of these two couriers who have been placed in situations where they can change the world, now only the player would be given the honour and responsibility of doing it? It just feels bizarre and clunky though. Also Chris Avellone really needs to learn the word "person". "War never changes, men/women do" is a good line IMO but you could save a line of dialogue by just saying "war never changes, people do".

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wolfsheim posted:

And yeah, the courier can have a pretty rich history of traveling even before Lonesome Road, as much of the dialogue makes offhand references to it;
There's one bit of the Courier's history that seems rather odd; early in Honest Hearts (when you first meet Joshua) it seems like the Courier has never heard of the concept of God before, and the idea that all old world religions were completely wiped out is both unlikely as a practical matter and contradicts some other statements in the game, like the report of Bitter Springs being saved by a couple of avenging angels, at least one of which had himself a .308 caliber flaming sword of justice with a telescopic sight. That's not the sort of language you'd expect to see in a society where no one remembered the idea of Western Christianity.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Old World Blues also suggests that the Courier doesn't know what communism is, nor what a high school is. Maybe they are a legendary figure much like Top Gear's Stig, whose exploits in one specific arena are incredible and grow in the telling, but outside of that area, perhaps not so much.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

2house2fly posted:

You didn't help to build it, it happened in your wake without you knowing about it. That's why you don't remember it; you did a lot of travelling and the divide was just one destination of many. Personally I didn't mind being told my character had been a courier for years, as in the mutant-infested post-nuclear desert it's probably the kind of job where you either wouldn't last very long or you'd become a seasoned badass and travel all over. Of course if it contradicts your backstory Ulysses comes across crazy enough that you could just write what he says off as getting you mixed up with someone else and you humouring him when you talk about "what I did".

Ulysses says the settlement in the Divide grew as you made repeated trips there and that the Courier was crucial to the development of the settlement. It's different from all the other Courier backstory that can be added in that it's not something your character chose to say about themselves. Yes, the Courier can say they never heard of God, or that they have been to New Reno, or that they are a citizen of the NCR, but they don't have to (and there is also at one point "I am a citizen of the NCR" and "I am a citizen of the NCR (Lie)" options). The Courier can be pretty much any type of character you imagine as it's really easy imagining almost any character archetype taking a courier job - that's a large part of what adventurers do. I really enjoyed not being given any backstory beyond "You are a courier for Mojave Express", and then had that hosed up by DLC that wanted to railroad my character into a certain past that conflicted with who I had imagined the character to be. I guess you can pretend that Ulysses is just crazy and has you mixed up with someone else, but the whole DLC is based around the idea of your character returning to a place they were familiar with after a catastrophe.

I also have a small issue with the idea that the courier had been doing that for years just because your character starts at level 1. It doesn't make sense for your character to have been walking the wastelands for years but doesn't start to gain any strength or experience until he wakes up in Goodsprings.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Getting shot in the head had a seriously deleterious effect.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I could easily see how iconic parts of any given mythology or culture could be preserved without any of the actual myths or culture itself being saved, and what's left having been bastardized to one or more degrees by the survivors. The Courier (or Boone) may be somewhat familiar with Christian mythology and iconography, but the larger whole of it may be completely unfamiliar with them, especially when opposed by, say Joshua Graham and the New Caananites, who have a fairly continuous history.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

counterfeitsaint posted:

Ulysses' motivation for hating you are also terrible. Should you check every package you deliver to make sure it doesn't set off a score of previously unknown nukes underneath the town you're delivering it to, or only sometimes?

I really liked this. Ulysses couldn't let go of the Divide, so his worldview became more and more distorted, to the point where everything he does (and all of his gravitas) makes perfect sense to him.

It's harder to read Ulysses because (I assume) most players get to him after Dead Money and Old World Blues, which (especially in the ending slides of DM) set up the player meeting Ulysses as something more... dramatically straightforward. Which works as a misdirection, buuuuut it's really hard to make solid yet not-painfully-obvious cues that a player should reconsider something.

I also have a small issue with the idea that the courier had been doing that for years just because your character starts at level 1. It doesn't make sense for your character to have been walking the wastelands for years but doesn't start to gain any strength or experience until he wakes up in Goodsprings.

I always justify this in my head as your character getting back into things after getting shot. (Or after... whatever incident usually leaves you new to an area at the beginning of an RPG). Because as odd as it'd be for your character to have little experience after 25+ years, it'd be weirder to suddenly become a master hacker/orator/gunman over the course of two weeks. This logic holds up pretty well unless a game's XP curve / level cap lets you be superman. In Planescape:Torment, it holds up even past that point.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ulysses' picture of you is quite interesting because it's literally exactly the same methodology that you discover stuff out about him. He's never, ever met you in person, he's only ever heard stories from other people. Even the fleeting glimpses he's caught of you have been from an incredibly long distance.

When you're meeting him for the first time, he's doing likewise. You might have preconceived notions of what Ulysses is like, but just imagine what he thinks of you, seeing as how for the past few years of his life he's done nothing but obsess over the strange and mysterious Courier Six.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The discussion about the warheads and Ulysses' motivations is fine and dandy, but I have to chime in with something I personally never understood about Lonesome Road (also my least favorite DLC together with Honest Hearts, for very different reasons): what's the deal with the Divide machinery suddenly deciding to build robots out of scraps? :psyduck: And why does ED-E have the personality of.. well... ED-E? I tried to be extremely careful when replaying the DLC and check out every terminal, note and holotape I could find, but I don't remember ever finding an answer about this.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I assume the ED-E connection is a symbolic one, really. The first time you meet ED-E it's in Primm, which is the first stop most players make. This is also where you first learn about Ulysses.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

StandardVC10 posted:

Old World Blues also suggests that the Courier doesn't know what communism is, nor what a high school is. Maybe they are a legendary figure much like Top Gear's Stig, whose exploits in one specific arena are incredible and grow in the telling, but outside of that area, perhaps not so much.

If you don't take those dialogue options then your character doesn't not know what a high school is!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
[quote="Ddraig" post=""424996536"]
When you're meeting him for the first time, he's doing likewise. You might have preconceived notions of what Ulysses is like, but just imagine what he thinks of you, seeing as how for the past few years of his life he's done nothing but obsess over the strange and mysterious Courier Six.
[/quote]

This what I love most about Honest Hearts. This terrifying, mythical figure is just...this pretty chill dude sat at a desk working on stuff.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

poptart_fairy posted:

This what I love most about Honest Hearts. This terrifying, mythical figure is just...this pretty chill dude sat at a desk working on stuff.

"Working on stuff" meaning "having a pretty killer animation where he's inspecting a huge pile of .45 pistols"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

While still living up to his reputation in a way you didn't expect.

I like Joshua Graham.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

KittyEmpress posted:

I always have and continue to see that as two sumo wrestlers shoving each other.

That still fits the other definition of bear :smuggo:.

In the perfect Fallout this would be a Confirmed Bachelor response.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I forget, what was Ulysses connection to Dead Money? I assume it's something like he's the only person to find and leave the Sierra Madre of his own free will or something like that?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think he was the one who told Elijah about the Sierra Madre.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
If you say to Christine that her charades-shtick is tiresome, her reaction is to frown and raise her middle-finger at you. Complete with animation.
:v:

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 28, 2014

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

^^^"Fine, be a bitch then."

the whole DLC is based around the idea of your character returning to a place they were familiar with after a catastrophe.
I remember at least one dialogue option along the lines of "what is this place?" and none that suggest the Courier is familiar with the place.

StandardVC10 posted:

To be fair that's a conclusion that the (probably hugely defective) testing computer comes to.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

what's the deal with the Divide machinery suddenly deciding to build robots out of scraps? :psyduck: And why does ED-E have the personality of.. well... ED-E? I tried to be extremely careful when replaying the DLC and check out every terminal, note and holotape I could find, but I don't remember ever finding an answer about this.
The facilities are advanced, possibly in a similar way to the Sierra Madre vending machines, and once they're given the schematics they can make robots out of just about anything that's lying around. The sensors managed to detect Ed-E in the Mojave and made a copy, God knows why. Maybe because it had important information in its memory? Possibly Ulysses found out you had Ed-E with you and had its memories put in that specific eyebot so you'd be more tempted to bring it along, though of course it's still Ed-E even if you never met the Mojave version so that doesn't really hold up.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Ending Slides of Old World Blues make very little sense. The Toaster builds a shrine of dead toasters in the Cuckoos Nest? It's already there.

Virtually everything in OWB is defective, egotistical and possibly insane. I wouldn't take anything a toaster tells me seriously.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The discussion about the warheads and Ulysses' motivations is fine and dandy, but I have to chime in with something I personally never understood about Lonesome Road (also my least favorite DLC together with Honest Hearts, for very different reasons): what's the deal with the Divide machinery suddenly deciding to build robots out of scraps? :psyduck: And why does ED-E have the personality of.. well... ED-E? I tried to be extremely careful when replaying the DLC and check out every terminal, note and holotape I could find, but I don't remember ever finding an answer about this.

I was under the impression that the beginning of the Divide is actually pretty close to Primm (unlike the other DLC, where it's just a starting point that carries you far, faraway) and so it picked up ED-E on its scanners, since he was nearby. Unless you're asking why they have that technology at all, but I thought it was because there was a Big MT connection (at least, that's why Ulysses visits Big MT in the first place, to study that weather control center). I'm not sure if it's ever brought up in Lonesome Road proper though, but the DLC have a lot of little dangling plot strands (the principal mentioned in Honest Hearts, the second company that actually got the holograms combat-ready in Dead Money, etc etc).

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.

StashAugustine posted:

I had a therapist show me the test and it was all I could do not to give the answers from the game.
Two bears high fiving

edit: I have the "Unoriginal Post" perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

SpookyLizard posted:

I could easily see how iconic parts of any given mythology or culture could be preserved without any of the actual myths or culture itself being saved, and what's left having been bastardized to one or more degrees by the survivors. The Courier (or Boone) may be somewhat familiar with Christian mythology and iconography, but the larger whole of it may be completely unfamiliar with them, especially when opposed by, say Joshua Graham and the New Caananites, who have a fairly continuous history.

The games have shown that Christianity is still widely practiced post-war, especially in the NCR. It just seems really out of place that the Courier can be confused by the very concept.

Aside from that, Honest Hearts is a really well written character piece/morality story.