Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ddraig posted:

They just look and sound so loving goofy. I'm guessing they're supposed to be new enemies but they just look like tunnelers that have had virtually all intimidating characteristics removed and given a cartoon voice. I also encountered a mutant cat that looked like it had been ripped straight from Stalker, but with terrible textures.

They're based on concept art from Van Buren. If you think those are goofy, by the way, wait until you progress further :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Monkeys. :unsmigghh:

For the record, I find that Mutant Cannibal page funny because it tries really hard to stretch a few lines of designer description into a paragraph without being a straight copy of the designer's description.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They're based on concept art from Van Buren. If you think those are goofy, by the way, wait until you progress further :psyduck:

I love this. They've extrapolated one piece of concept art and based the entire model around that. Even the exaggerated "I'm attacking!" facial expression has been actually incorporated into the model so it's constantly looking like it's in a state of constant surprise. That coupled with a really bad texture that doesn't even begin to resemble hair (which this thing clearly has) it just looks strange.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Any goon good at asset bashing and minor clothing modding? I want somebody to make a good outfit based on the Sneering Imperialist perk which mostly can be pulled off using parts from the Tenpenny suit, Enclave Officer uniform and some of the NCR belts and straps.

The only thing 'original' asset wise would be the head gear.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Welp, wearing the White Gloves attire was a bad idea, given it erased my reputation with the NCR and the Legion, which meant I couldn't help them with the Kimball thing. Well, no matter, finished this New Vegas playthrough, so now I'm going to wait for a while before coming back to it.

Given I intend to use A Tale of Two Wasteland, a couple of question:

1) How are the endings handled? I'd imagine Fallout 3 just has Broken Steel no-ending as default, but what about New Vegas? Does the battle of Hoover Dam still means the end of the playthrough?

2) Aside from Enclave troopers having insane DT and Super Mutants also being too beefy, are there any other outstanding balance problems in the Fallout 3 portion? I know that at least the Super Mutants have a patch that makes them weaker, and I can always edit the basic Enclave power armors to have lower DT with the GECK.

3) I've already found an edited, compatible version of CCO, Jsawyer and Project Nevada for the mod, plus the Interiors guy has done a merged version of the mod especially for A Tale of Two Wastelands, so I'm covered there too. I'm also running Increased Wasteland Spawns, the New Vegas Uncut mods, Manual Reload and the DFB Random Encounters mod (plus a bunch of other minor stuff that shouldn't conceivably give any problem). Is any of those mods going to give problems/need a compatibility patch?

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Welp, wearing the White Gloves attire was a bad idea, given it erased my reputation with the NCR and the Legion, which meant I couldn't help them with the Kimball thing. Well, no matter, finished this New Vegas playthrough, so now I'm going to wait for a while before coming back to it.

Given I intend to use A Tale of Two Wasteland, a couple of question:

1) How are the endings handled? I'd imagine Fallout 3 just has Broken Steel no-ending as default, but what about New Vegas? Does the battle of Hoover Dam still means the end of the playthrough?

2) Aside from Enclave troopers having insane DT and Super Mutants also being too beefy, are there any other outstanding balance problems in the Fallout 3 portion? I know that at least the Super Mutants have a patch that makes them weaker, and I can always edit the basic Enclave power armors to have lower DT with the GECK.

3) I've already found an edited, compatible version of CCO, Jsawyer and Project Nevada for the mod, plus the Interiors guy has done a merged version of the mod especially for A Tale of Two Wastelands, so I'm covered there too. I'm also running Increased Wasteland Spawns, the New Vegas Uncut mods, Manual Reload and the DFB Random Encounters mod (plus a bunch of other minor stuff that shouldn't conceivably give any problem). Is any of those mods going to give problems/need a compatibility patch?

1) You are correct on the endings.

2) None that I know of that were not already part of the fallout 3 experience.

3) The only one that I think might be an issue is Increased Wasteland Spawns.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm sure this is straightforward but I think I'm missing something - is there a way you can toggle which version of armor gets worn? Like make a male character wear the female one or vice versa. I've got a couple power armor mods where one version is fine and the other is stupid, and it's frigging power armor - who cares, right?. Just let me flag which one I want no matter who my character is.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Any goon good at asset bashing and minor clothing modding? I want somebody to make a good outfit based on the Sneering Imperialist perk which mostly can be pulled off using parts from the Tenpenny suit, Enclave Officer uniform and some of the NCR belts and straps.

The only thing 'original' asset wise would be the head gear.

You can actually bash outfits together with Nifskope and some blood sacrifice.

I tried - and failed miserably - to fix a small placement error with a backpack and well that's that.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So I am trying to download some mods off Nexus and it says I need to us their mod manager for the download but when I click the green button nothing happens.. Am I missing something here? I am logged in.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BadLlama posted:

So I am trying to download some mods off Nexus and it says I need to us their mod manager for the download but when I click the green button nothing happens.. Am I missing something here? I am logged in.

Don't use the Nexus mod manager. Just download it normally and look at the folder structure.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Perhaps the Greatest Mod ever made

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Psion posted:

I'm sure this is straightforward but I think I'm missing something - is there a way you can toggle which version of armor gets worn? Like make a male character wear the female one or vice versa. I've got a couple power armor mods where one version is fine and the other is stupid, and it's frigging power armor - who cares, right?. Just let me flag which one I want no matter who my character is.

Kind of, if you only want the male armor, remove the female armor mesh info in FNVEdit. If you only want the female armor you will have to copy the female armor mesh info to the male armor mesh info.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Psion posted:

You can actually bash outfits together with Nifskope and some blood sacrifice.

I tried - and failed miserably - to fix a small placement error with a backpack and well that's that.

How easy is it to use? is there a YouTube video guide? I can sort of try.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

haha if I wish it was easy. Nifskope is loving nuts

People swear to me you can figure it out eventually but they lie.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

delta534 posted:

1) You are correct on the endings.

2) None that I know of that were not already part of the fallout 3 experience.

3) The only one that I think might be an issue is Increased Wasteland Spawns.

Thanks for the info. I'm in no hurry to replay the game, but it's good to know that I'll be able to minimize the tinkering when I do.

Looks ~*lore-friendly*~ to me! :bravo:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Psion posted:

haha if I wish it was easy. Nifskope is loving nuts

People swear to me you can figure it out eventually but they lie.

I think it sort of depends on what you want to do. I've been using Nifskope for a long time now; some things are easy, and other things... yeah I dunno either.

When working with anything rigged to the skeleton (I.e. armour), you really want to be using 3dsmax/Blender/whatever and just exporting as a nif, ideally.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think this needs more love.

It's a tent, that you can carry with you as a backpack. You buy it from either Chet or Cliff Briscoe for 2500 caps. It's got an inventory sorter, water purifier, harvestable plants, incinerator, crafting tables, and more containers than you'll ever need.

It's my favourite home mod, since it's fairly lore-friendly, but still super-useful.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

LoonShia posted:

It's a tent, that you can carry with you as a backpack. You buy it from either Chet or Cliff Briscoe for 2500 caps. It's got an inventory sorter, water purifier, harvestable plants, incinerator, crafting tables, and more containers than you'll ever need.

It's my favourite home mod, since it's fairly lore-friendly, but still super-useful.

Holy poo poo. :sttare: That's certainly something that I didn't even think possible...but Christ, I don't think my computer can take another mod :v:

Plus I already have UH and Survivalist's Bunker...

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

D34THROW posted:

Holy poo poo. :sttare: That's certainly something that I didn't even think possible...but Christ, I don't think my computer can take another mod :v:

Speaking of UH, has anyone just not have the UH entrance show up? All my google searches say "update New Vegas to 1.4", but I'm already on the correct option and I get nothing. I'm already using Lombard Station, but I just wanted to have the option of a larger space.

Also, Lombard Station doesn't have a water purifier, does it?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

D34THROW posted:

Portable Tent is also smaller and simpler. Even with Lombard Station I blew 30 hours each on being a homemaker on a couple playthroughs. If I hadn't come to the UHes too late to find them worth migrating to when I had them installed one of them probably would have hit the 200-hour mark.

why isn't there a Harvest Moon: Save the Wasteland mod yet

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Antistar01 posted:

When working with anything rigged to the skeleton (I.e. armour), you really want to be using 3dsmax/Blender/whatever and just exporting as a nif, ideally.

Yeah, I crashed my game in some very exciting ways trying to modify an armor nif because of just that.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

On the subject of Beyond Boulder Dome, I feel it sort of like some super long Grateful Dead guitar solo; yes, I get it, you've got massive technical competence; loving end already.

I did like the bit with the super-smart monkey in the "supercomputer".

Amusingly to me, I checked out the BBD teams Skyrim project: Apparently, it hit a snag because they were going to do Solstheim 4E. Then Dragonborn was announced. Whoops. They salvaged a lot of it and are making something set in high rock now.

Also, according to the prerelease info, the plot had something to do with a strange disease again. Wonder if their writers have an epidemiology fetish or something.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think my favourite part of Beyond Boulder Dome is the death squads.

Why yes, I do enjoy squads of four people firing on me with 249 DPS weapons meanwhile I can't do poo poo because I'm a melee character and they're all up on gantries :bravo:

The character names are stupid, too. There's literally a "Captain Despot". Presumably he got the job after Major Fascist got killed.

There was also that lady you meet when you complete Taking the Bait. I'm not sure if she was supposed to be autistic or something or if it was just really bad voice acting or what the hell they did but she spoke incredibly unnaturally. She. Would. Pause. Between. Every. Word. For. No. Real. Reason.

I also have to go on a fetch quest to find generator parts because I decided to try and help kate out. The parts are in tiny boxes in the middle of a factory meaning it's like finding a needle in a haystack. God drat they made some really, really lovely decisions.

I can honestly say the only real quest mods I actually enjoyed playing and didn't feel incredibly embarassed about are Deimos/The Collector and Tales of the Burning Sands.

Tales of the Burning Sands does drag on a tiny bit, especially in the third chapter, but it's incredibly well done, the puzzles are all very clever and make you feel really smart when you figure them out and doesn't rely on huge amounts of bullshit enemies to pad out the content.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 28, 2014

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So I just started playing this again and I am installing mods to make the game look better.

Right now I have that massive texture pack installed, 3 files combined for over 3 gigs of textures, I have the vanilla armor texture pack upgrade installed, F3NV Project Reality installed. I also thought I installed the injector things from http://www.enbdev.com/download_mod_falloutnv.htm but not sure how to get them working?

Are there any other mods I should install to make this look better?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Fallout Character Overhaul for faces. Probably the best done out of all the NPC appearance changers.

NCR Trooper Overhaul for the NCR's armour. Really well done, even if it is a beta - makes the NCR look way, way better.

ADAM is by far one of the better texture mods out there. It makes the NCR Veteran Rangers actually look how they should. full of neat little features like glowing eyes to match the promo shots etc.

Caesar's New Regime does to the legion what the NCR Trooper Overhaul does to the NCR. Makes them look a bit less comical in that they're no longer wearing football armor that is clearly football armor etc.

Wasteland Clothing Hi-Res basically covers everything that isn't covered by the above mods.

There used to be a rather neat Super Mutant retexture that Cabal made, but it seems to have vanished from the Nexus.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

All of those excellent and make playing through the game much more better visually.

You forgot the Spice Of Life Mod. It has some kicking rad Ponchos!

Somebody really needs to redo the New Vegas Tribes :(.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions, they all seem like they will make the game more aesthetically pleasing.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

LoonShia posted:

Oh hell yeah, Portable Tent is fuckin' awesome. Had to disable the container crafting though, it was conflicting with the auto sorter and leaving all my stims in the first aid box for some reason. Besides that, it's pretty much flawless, though.

And the portable part is a goddamn life saver when you're playing with TTW. Instead of having to maintain two player houses, or risking running out of supplies with your base being two weeks and 500 caps away, you can just grab it and plonk it down wherever you need it!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I love it when I add six new mods to my existing (ridiculously large) mod order, all of which have compatibilities this and dependencies that, get it all set up, make a merged patch, launch it and that poo poo works flawlessly first try.

Merged patches: the best

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Holy gently caress. I still haven't managed to get the loving access codes to get into the Dome in this mod. I manage to trek the incredibly roundabout way they want me to get to where I need to go (through several different levels, because there's no straight way) and finally get to the Boulder Underground. Then some asshat decides that it's not enough that I have managed to trek through his hellhole and still survive but now he wants me to do a "But thou must!" mission where I have to convince Firefly to go scouting again (which involves backtracking to kill someone else, through the incredibly shittily designed Nova Industries), now he wants me to TALK TO EVERYONE IN THE loving TOWN to figure out when the "Gremlin" appears. I decide that no, I don't want to do this lovely quest. Thankfully I've managed to figure out I need to get behind the shrine to get where I need to go, so there's a Terrifying Presence option to "Open the shrine, or I'll tear it down myself". He gets scared, gives me some C4 to blow it open (which will apparently open the floodgates of raiders - but screw them I just want this misery to end)

I blow open the shrine, go to the Dome Cave, and find about three raiders (this is the flood, I suppose). I manage to slaughter them effortlessly, but come to a locked gate to which I don't have the key.

When it became apparant that this mod will have the "Side with the evil people who want to kill everyone, or the shady people who probably have an ulterior motive" I figured I'd forego the "kill everyone" route, but now I feel obliged to because of the incredible amount of hoops they're making me jump through. I'm just afraid that if I do end up killing everyone I'll probably end up killing the important person who can actually get me out of this lovely place and back to the Mojave.

Whyyyyy won't it end.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I recommend loading a save before you got into BBD if you're this frustrated because OH BOY IT KEEPS GOING :unsmigghh:

No, seriously, the details are fuzzy in my mind now but I distinctly remember having to go through multiple fetch quest after the final bullshit encounter where ELDER GUILE BETRAYS YOU (!!!) before finally being able to leave the area

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Can't you just move beyond the Boulder Dome!?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SeanBeansShako posted:

Can't you just move beyond the Boulder Dome!?

I'm trying, buddy, believe me.

It just never ends.

The real frustrating thing is that there's a good concept there but out of nowhere it will just throw a complete swerveball that makes you think "This is the most loving stupid thing I've ever seen". It also has no idea what the hell good pacing is. I guess they wanted to make it a bit like Dead Money with a constant threat, except they don't understand why Dead Money was so good at making you feel tense.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Psion posted:

I love it when I add six new mods to my existing (ridiculously large) mod order, all of which have compatibilities this and dependencies that, get it all set up, make a merged patch, launch it and that poo poo works flawlessly first try.

Merged patches: the best

Are you some kind of sorcerer?

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

I cannot speak for Psion but I've seem to have the same luck. My tricks are to have an idea of what each mod changes, screwing around with bashed tags to make sure the changes I want are carried through and almost being a wizard with FNVEdit to fix anything the bashed patch missed or screwed.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Jesus, guys. He's a Psion not a wizard. Don't you know anything?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I feel bad for asking this, but are there any decent mods that add S.T.A.L.K.E.R Armor or things of the sort? :ohdear:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ok so I just finished Beyond Boulder Dome and I'm uninstalling this right away.

God drat what a load of wasted potential. I've never played a mod where I feel like I've been personally insulted before, so I guess that's a first. One plot element is so stupid it defies belief.

I'm really wondering how the hell someone can read all the neat ideas that were planned for Van Buren, decide to make a mod using some of them, then create this.

I did get a neat bug where during the "emotional" scene Sarah would not stop crouching in terror. I think even she realized she was in a terrible mod.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SplitSoul posted:

I think at this point I've spent so much drat time troubleshooting FNV mods they have learned to fear and respect me, lest I destroy them with GECK and FNVEdit.

or I'm lucky as hell, take your pick. For example: have not installed Beyond Boulder Dome!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm reinstalling Fallout 3 for a modded run after not being too happy after basically wanting to play a Fallout Wanderer's Edition game with Mart's Mutant Mod, something that Tale of Two Wastelands can't replicate (yet.)

Got the usual staples, but anything big happen with Fallout 3 modding in the past two years or so? Not interested in quest mods and what not, since unlike most Goons I don't subject myself to lovely mod added quest content :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gyshall posted:

I'm reinstalling Fallout 3 for a modded run after not being too happy after basically wanting to play a Fallout Wanderer's Edition game with Mart's Mutant Mod, something that Tale of Two Wastelands can't replicate (yet.)

Got the usual staples, but anything big happen with Fallout 3 modding in the past two years or so? Not interested in quest mods and what not, since unlike most Goons I don't subject myself to lovely mod added quest content :smuggo:

Just lovely vanilla FO3 content. :smug: