Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think I've ever managed to hurt Letho with a bomb. Not once. With me, he's always countered it in some way. Knife-spamming works as fine as always, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I finally finished my Dark playthrough, the new act 3 stuff was interesting but not earth shattering. I had to cheat in some extra orens to finish the Kinslayer set though, because there was simply no way I could scrape all that money together.

I am a little sad though, because I played this with Roche and it's just so goddamn bleak. I had forgotten how horrific the pogrom against the mages and sorcerers is when you don't save Triss and the north is utterly hosed despite having strong kings. I would have preferred to have Saskia around but honestly I don't see her city surviving the initial onslaught of the Empire after the beating they took from Henselt. I'm super excited to bring this save over to the Witcher 3, but I doubt it will have too much effect on the game since it's set in the Empire. Plus there were plenty of retcons from the first game.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Because I'm a huge tech nerd I'm excited that CDPR is looking into leasing out the REDEngine. It really produces beautiful games and I could see it getting a lot of use by independent RPG studios (like Obsidian? :allears:)

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Demiurge4 posted:

I am a little sad though, because I played this with Roche and it's just so goddamn bleak. I had forgotten how horrific the pogrom against the mages and sorcerers is when you don't save Triss and the north is utterly hosed despite having strong kings. I would have preferred to have Saskia around but honestly I don't see her city surviving the initial onslaught of the Empire after the beating they took from Henselt. I'm super excited to bring this save over to the Witcher 3, but I doubt it will have too much effect on the game since it's set in the Empire. Plus there were plenty of retcons from the first game.

To be fair You can find the dagger on some guards you kill if you rescue Iorveth in the Epilogue. So the chances of being able to save Saskia in TW3 are pretty high. Either that or they just explicitly decided to add an item into the game at a spot where its no longer usable for absolutely no reason.

Also, I thought that the map for TW3 went up into the lower half of the northern kingdoms? Hence that whole backdrop of a war trailer plus the fact that you drink a potion and are told to return to Vizima in a year. Would be hard to have to return to Vizima if it isn't on the map.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Leb posted:

e: btw, here are some nifty slides that were posted over on NG... looks like a few new details here and there:

100 quality hours of meticulously handcrafted non-linear rpg gameplay with consequences that affect the story in multitude of ways, in a open world that takes 40 minutes to traverse with a horse.

meh

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

According to their bloke on twitter, new screen shots are being released today!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

To be fair You can find the dagger on some guards you kill if you rescue Iorveth in the Epilogue. So the chances of being able to save Saskia in TW3 are pretty high. Either that or they just explicitly decided to add an item into the game at a spot where its no longer usable for absolutely no reason.

I would say it's there for story purposes, saying that there's hope Geralt and Iorveth can save her some time in the future. I honestly don't you think you should expect it to happen in Witcher 3. It would be impressive if W3 had a little questline continuation for every major optional W2 storyline, but I'm in no way expecting it.

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Also, I thought that the map for TW3 went up into the lower half of the northern kingdoms? Hence that whole backdrop of a war trailer plus the fact that you drink a potion and are told to return to Vizima in a year. Would be hard to have to return to Vizima if it isn't on the map.
From what they've said, the game world is seemingly not one big map. It sounds like it's three separated areas that you can freely travel between. One of them is the city of Novigrad in Redania, and one is "No Man's Land" which is sounds like it might be the war front or close to it.

quote:

plus the fact that you drink a potion and are told to return to Vizima in a year.

That bit was concluded in Act 3 of Iorveth's Path in the enhanced edition.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 28, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
While there are strong expectations regarding the Empire in TW3, I believe the only setting that's been unveiled in any detail is the North. And I mean freezing North with ice giants, Viking boats and whatnot.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
And here are the new screenshots..!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Leb posted:

e: btw, here are some nifty slides that were posted over on NG... looks like a few new details here and there:

No QTEs and stances are back!

Graphic quality looks about the same as 2 in those shots. Impressive, considering this one is open-world.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure I'm a fan of the grayer, washed-out color palette. I know it's bleak "dark fantasy" and all but I really liked how vibrant Witcher 2 looked.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

FuriousGeorge posted:

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the grayer, washed-out color palette. I know it's bleak "dark fantasy" and all but I really liked how vibrant Witcher 2 looked.

Agreed. But to be fair, that could be just a particular area. W2 took place pretty far south, in a jungle among other places. The screenshots all seem to be from the same autumnal area.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Well, none of the shots released so far seem to have been taken in Ubersampling mode, so it's all academic for the purists out there.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that the changes to the potion mechanic sounds very promising.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Really love that city screenshot. Look at the walls and the buildings, they just scream character.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Boing posted:

Really love that city screenshot. Look at the walls and the buildings, they just scream character.

So does the horse poo poo. :horse:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I realize that "every generic soldier has full plate armor" is just a fantasy thing, but that poo poo costs a lot of money. No one would leave it all lying around in a ditch. Where's your fabled fantasy realism, Witcher? :mad:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Those look like Nilfgaard troops, so it'd make sense if they were in full plate.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Yeah, what Coughing Hobo said, most of the Northern kingdom troops don't have chain or plate except for the higher tier troops.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
So since we get a horse mount now, does that mean it can double as a portable bank/chest? How else would I salvage all that plate mail?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Coughing Hobo posted:

Those look like Nilfgaard troops, so it'd make sense if they were in full plate.
Sure, but what doesn't make sense is that they're still wearing it. Whichever side won that fight would have scavenged the poo poo out of that armor, and if they didn't, nearby peasantry would have.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Eddain posted:

So since we get a horse mount now, does that mean it can double as a portable bank/chest? How else would I salvage all that plate mail?

They've said as much, in fact; your saddlebags will replace/supplement the innkeeper's storage that was patched into W2.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ravenfood posted:

Sure, but what doesn't make sense is that they're still wearing it. Whichever side won that fight would have scavenged the poo poo out of that armor, and if they didn't, nearby peasantry would have.

Maybe it was the Wild Hunt that killed them. Or Geralt. Either way, the battle looks pretty fresh, so looters may not have shown up yet.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Blood looks fresh and the winners might have been in a hurry so looting probably hadn't started yet.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

"I am going to read into one screenshot of an unreleased game really hard."

Ravenfood you do have a good point but if you played Witcher 2 you would know that most opponents do not have that much armor on, and we have literally zero context about that screenshot. Also some plating on the upper arms and torso does not necessarily mean "full plate".

Leb posted:

They've said as much, in fact; your saddlebags will replace/supplement the innkeeper's storage that was patched into W2.

This is awesome.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Leb posted:

Already a hundred times more useful than Skyrim horses.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If Geralt doesn't call the horse "Roach" and have at least a dozen recorded, voice acted, one sided conversations with it in game I'm cancelling my pre-order that I haven't actually made yet.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

The Sharmat posted:

If Geralt doesn't call the horse "Roach" and have at least a dozen recorded, voice acted, one sided conversations with it in game I'm cancelling my pre-order that I haven't actually made yet.

I hope Roche is back so that he can repeatedly answer questions intended for the horse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Sharmat posted:

"Roach, do you remember the movie we saw back in 1978? Directed by John DeBello. I'll give you some time to refresh your memory"
"This nekker and strawberry sandwich is amazing, don't you think Roach?"
?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

I'll laugh if at some point during the game, his horse dies, he gets a new one and promptly goes right back to referring to it as 'Roach.'

On a slightly less macabre note, it's dress-up time with Geralt!

Note that Geralt will damned well wear a skirt if he damned well feels like it.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Dude looks like he gained a few pounds.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
He only got to gently caress like 2 or 3 people last game, give him a break.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The bottom left one in the second image is what I want Geralt to wear all the time. Except maybe with the shoes of the second row, first column one in the first image.

E: I don't think he's really gained weight. I think he's just wearing more layers because he's further south.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Yeah those cloaks make him look fat heh. Second image bottom right in particular.

PureRok posted:

E: I don't think he's really gained weight. I think he's just wearing more layers because he's further south.

north?

Or does this game take place in like, antarctica?

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 1, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Clearly he's wearing more layers because he's getting ready for Ithlinne's Prophecy. Geralt knows what's up.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Wachepti posted:

north?

Or does this game take place in like, antarctica?

If you're in the southern hemisphere, moving south will get colder. From everything I've seen it's suggested that Nilfgaard is colder (flashbacks in the games, reading one of the books). Even a lot of the screenshots seem to make it look colder. Of course, it's possible it's just winter, so it's just colder because of that.

fake edit: But, looking it up, it seems there's a desert in Nilfgaard, so I guess I have no idea.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
E: NVM

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Leb posted:

I'll laugh if at some point during the game, his horse dies, he gets a new one and promptly goes right back to referring to it as 'Roach.'

Isn't that basically what he does in the books?

PureRok posted:

fake edit: But, looking it up, it seems there's a desert in Nilfgaard, so I guess I have no idea.

There are cold deserts.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Is Zerrikania to the south?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

Is Zerrikania to the south?

Well based on the Witcher 1 map its far to the East and a bit South of the Northern Kingdoms.

The Sharmat posted:

There are cold deserts.

Im guessing the cold place is the Viking esq place they have confirmed as a location. I mean I have no idea what kind of climate those islands have in universe but winter is commonly associated with Norse stand ins.

Lycus posted:

Clearly he's wearing more layers because he's getting ready for Ithlinne's Prophecy. Geralt knows what's up.

After the Grandmaster put him through it once before hes coming prepared.

• Locked thread