Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

jodai posted:

Did you have fun?

I can see the potential for fun. If we had known the rules it would have taken like, 15 minutes, and it probably would have been fun.

Also, I might have won if I hadn't kept wasting focus on upkeeping spells when Syntherion can do that for free! On the other hand my opponent didn't realize that he was supposed to be getting +2 on melee attack rolls, so who knows.

Adrian Finol posted:

Speaking of Cups, anyone heading to the Mayhem Cup @ Asgard in March?

That's being held at the shop where I'm going for the journeyman league!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilmonstar
Nov 18, 2012

So I watched a game over the weekend that had a merc caster using gun mages. I've had relatively little interaction with mercs (past two guys I know who play rhulic) so I was a bit intrigued by this. This is a dumb newbie question, but how does using faction-specific units (like Gun Mages) work for merc casters? Are there any other faction specific models/units that mercs can be used like this?

Edit: Grammar is hard.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Evilmonstar posted:

So I watched a game over the weekend that had a merc caster using gun mages. I've had relatively little interaction with mercs (past two guys I know who play rhulic) so I was a bit intrigued by this. This is a dumb newbie question, but how does using faction-specific units (like Gun Mages) work for merc casters? Are there any other faction specific models/units that mercs can be used like this?

Edit: Grammar is hard.

Merc casters either have to choose from a theme list like everyone else, or one of four "contracts" which define in a fairly broad sense what they're allowed to field; stuff like "can field models that would work for Cygnar, Cryx, etc." One of the four, Highborne Covenant, allows you to field a unit of gun mages as though they were mercs if you're using that contract.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

4star also lets you take Kazazy Assassin/Eliminators. Also some theme lists allows you access to non-merc stuff, Constance's is a gimme but Magnus1 has one that gives him access to Idrian Skirmishers, another that gives him access to Trenchers, and Magnus2 has one that gives access to Trenchers/select Cygnar 'jacks/Sword Knights.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are there any game replays on youtube? Would kinda like to watch a few to get a feel for the flow.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are there any game replays on youtube? Would kinda like to watch a few to get a feel for the flow.

Battlereports? http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVSqFZiGn4cHzSk1Y_CeBMw Wargamergirl has some of the best. Mini wargaming and bluetable and some others do them to, but I can't stand them in comparison to wargamergirl. She has her flaws, but they're rad overall.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
^^^^ :argh:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Personally, I like War gamer Girl's stuff (https://www.youtube.com/user/WarGamerGirl). It isn't the deepest tactically, there are some decent tournament videos with commentary for that, but it is the best edited video I've seen.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Journeyman league starts this week, and my Feora alt battlebox stuff arrived just in time. I feel like I'm going back in time here, the Devout I also got has 2004 on the base and these metal jacks are a nightmare compared to the plastic ones.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
There's a couple good battle reports in the OP by a limey man who does a good job of it.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
If you want to check out some high level tourney play, but with very little commentary, you can watch some stuff on endgamegaming.net

Be warned, it may not make a ton of sense if you don't know all of the rules of the game. Wargamergirl's videos are great if you're just starting out.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I hope I'm not the only one here who can't stand her videos.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't care for them but they have nice production values.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

S.J. posted:

You aren't. Though they're higher-content than the Team Covenant voiceovers of the 2012 WMW finals. "Boomhowlers are really good." "Yeah, they're really good."

EDIT:

gannyGrabber posted:

There's a couple good battle reports in the OP by a limey man who does a good job of it.

Yeah these are excellent.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 27, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

You aren't. Though they're higher-content than the Team Covenant voiceovers of the 2012 WMW finals. "Boomhowlers are really good." "Yeah, they're really good."

Yeah I facepalmed pretty hard a couple times during that.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Boomhowlers are really good. Except against Thyra :getin:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

S.J. posted:

I stopped watching after she had about 5 rules violations by the bottom of turn 3.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

boom boom boom posted:

my opponent didn't realize that he was supposed to be getting +2 on melee attack rolls

I did the same thing! I was a little bit depressed at first because I thought my team was weak but you have to know what you can do. That's why I really like league games. As you figure things out, you step up and learn new stuff.

We are at 25 points this week. I have:
pKaya
Winter argus
Argus
Feral warpwolf

To which I was going to add either:
Lord of the feast
Pureblood warpwolf

Or

Warpwolf stalker
War wolf
Lanyssa

Next week I'll probably run a new warlock. Would Grayle or Mohsar be better to run a beast heavy group?

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Shifting Stones + UA is what you should add. Teleporting a werewolf into someone's face, then using spirit door to hit and run is the way to go.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

jodai posted:

I did the same thing! I was a little bit depressed at first because I thought my team was weak but you have to know what you can do. That's why I really like league games. As you figure things out, you step up and learn new stuff.

We are at 25 points this week. I have:
pKaya
Winter argus
Argus
Feral warpwolf

To which I was going to add either:
Lord of the feast
Pureblood warpwolf

Or

Warpwolf stalker
War wolf
Lanyssa

Next week I'll probably run a new warlock. Would Grayle or Mohsar be better to run a beast heavy group?

Mohsar. Add the Stalker; its animus is a cornerstone of how Circle plays and the sooner you learn how to use it, the better.

EDIT: You can put shifting stones + UA in with the other thre points but I'd actually recommend Wilder + Gallows Grove; it'll smooth out your learning curve and also let you zot off your rad little 2-cost spell every now and then without real threat to your person.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Crippled System games a re fun to watch, but I am not good at Warmachine so what do I know?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Feeple posted:

Crippled System games a re fun to watch, but I am not good at Warmachine so what do I know?

Oh yeah I forgot about those! I only saw one of their videos (my computer doesn't stream video very well) but it seemed like they were pretty good about picking up on their mistakes during commentary, which is a huge part of the learning process in my opinion.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Saalkin posted:

Battlereports? http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVSqFZiGn4cHzSk1Y_CeBMw Wargamergirl has some of the best. Mini wargaming and bluetable and some others do them to, but I can't stand them in comparison to wargamergirl. She has her flaws, but they're rad overall.

WargamerGirl's videos are great for the beginner player and certainly helped me when starting out playing, which wasn't too long ago at all. I've just finished doing a journeyman league with my gaming friends and that has been excellent too – no pressure gaming with helpful pointers when I needed them, while still allowing me to do my own thing and make horrendous mistakes as is necessary for the learning process.

Back to the topic of her videos, the presentation is excellent and is more of what I consider to be a 'battle report' video than a static cam shot of an entire game. The sweeping camera movements and shifting of focus to the points of action are more interesting and engaging to watch. While a number of improvements could be made to make this style better overall as well as more suited to experienced gamers, it's a great starting point.

Gay Polymers posted:

If you want to check out some high level tourney play, but with very little commentary, you can watch some stuff on endgamegaming.net

Be warned, it may not make a ton of sense if you don't know all of the rules of the game. Wargamergirl's videos are great if you're just starting out.

Even as a relative newbie with a basic grasp of the game, the videos at Endgame are interesting to watch. I find it motivational to see how your chosen faction can perform and the system mastery of these players in action.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
I think I officially hate PP plastics. Cleaning mold lines off of bastions is hell while the seneschal was nearly perfect out of the pack in all of its metal glory.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
After watching a few of these I'd like to say that any video batrep that does not have a list in the beginning/video description, does not pan over the army and introduce the units (like "I'm running eCaster, Jack A jack B, max randomgrunts with UA..." etc.), AND has a wonderful whole-table view only so I can watch random blobs of unpainted metal scurry around can gently caress right off.

Exinos posted:

I think I officially hate PP plastics. Cleaning mold lines off of bastions is hell while the seneschal was nearly perfect out of the pack in all of its metal glory.
Go paint an FFG boardgame or two, you'll start having problems like "how the fuc do you have 4 mold lines on a zombie's leg?", "I have to buy a special degreaser for this plastic" and "having pre-glued minis is very convenient, so is having to greenstuff 1.5 mm gaps in them". And don't even start about their metals.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
I love their metals, and I am not a huge fan of their plastics. But some people really hate metal models and want everything to be 40K style, so Privateer does it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I do find cleaning up their plastics do be much harder than the metal - the plastic seems to shred when you try to file it so you have to scrape the mold lines off with a knife and I always butcher things.

On the other hand the plastic models go together amazing and some of the joins are so tight they almost don't need glue.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Looking for help list-building for 35 points against fairly jack-heavy Menoth (running pKreoss and pSeverius, Avatar+Choir+Vassal etc.) and Convergence (running vector-heavy Syntherion).

I'm playing Circle Orboros, have a few lists in mind:

eKaya + Laris - Alpha Strike
Warpwolf Trinity
Gorax
Shifting Stones + UA
Druid Wilder
Gallows Grove (not great but Gobbers seem redundant with Shadow Pack)

pKaya - Hit and Run
Warpwolf Trinity
Druid Wilder
Blackclad Wayfarer
Shifting Stones + UA
Shifting Stones

pBaldur - Non-Tier
Megalith
Warpwolf Stalker
Woldwatcher
Bloodtrackers w/Nuala
Shifting Stones + UA
Blackclad Wayfarer

The idea behind the lack of Gorax in pKaya's list is that Pack Hunters and Wraithbane should make Primal unnecessary, and since Primal + Spirit Door is a bit of anti-synergy.

eKaya's list probably hits the hardest, I love pKaya in 25 point games but I'm not sure how well she scales to 35.

With pBaldur, I would like to fit in a Woldwarden for the animus, but I just don't think the Woldwarden hits hard enough to justify 9 points when I know I'm going against low-model count resilient armies. Still trying to fit in the Woldwatcher for some forest trickery, but not sure if he's worth it since his animus is redundant with Solid Ground.

Any and all advice is welcome!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gay Polymers posted:

I love their metals, and I am not a huge fan of their plastics. But some people really hate metal models and want everything to be 40K style, so Privateer does it.

I don' think it's that so much as plastics make more sense from a business standpoint. Prices for metals fluctuate so much more that long-term planning and pricing can be really tricky. It's a nice bonus for PP that many folks care about plastic both because it's ultimately cheaper and for easier hobbying.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Is this for tournaments? If so, what's your other list? Does it use any characters?

Is your Protectorate matchup an individual opponent or are you trying to cover multiple people with multiple lists? If the former, how much shooting does the rest of the army have?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Sulecrist posted:

Is this for tournaments? If so, what's your other list? Does it use any characters?

Nope, semi-competitive matches against friends. We play in a competitive manner, and we're all very experienced in competitive wargaming/nerd-gamery in general, but we're all still pretty new to this particular game so we would certainly be crushed in a high-level tournament.

quote:

Is your Protectorate matchup an individual opponent or are you trying to cover multiple people with multiple lists? If the former, how much shooting does the rest of the army have?

An individual opponent. As far as shooting, it depends what he brings - the most he's brought before as far as ranged attacks was a Vanquisher. Of course pKreoss has his ranged spells as well. I expect several jacks including the Avatar, a choir, a vassal, and possibly Cinerators/Bastions.

As far as the Convergence opponent, he's got a cornucopia of vectors (Cipher, Monitor, Galvanizer, etc.) as well as Perferators and a Steelsoul.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Gay Polymers posted:

Thing is, they don't do GW style kits - say what you want about the company, but GW plastic kits are amazing, filled with details and varation and an assortment of bits left over. PP simply takes their one-pose metal models and makes plastic kits from them - with none of the extra bits, an inferior plastic and hellish mold lines. They seem aware of the issues with their plastic kits, though, and the fact that they are willing to sell them cheaper than their metal counterparts is also a big plus.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Lord Of Texas posted:

Nope, semi-competitive matches against friends. We play in a competitive manner, and we're all very experienced in competitive wargaming/nerd-gamery in general, but we're all still pretty new to this particular game so we would certainly be crushed in a high-level tournament.

An individual opponent. As far as shooting, it depends what he brings - the most he's brought before as far as ranged attacks was a Vanquisher. Of course pKreoss has his ranged spells as well. I expect several jacks including the Avatar, a choir, a vassal, and possibly Cinerators/Bastions.

As far as the Convergence opponent, he's got a cornucopia of vectors (Cipher, Monitor, Galvanizer, etc.) as well as Perferators and a Steelsoul.

I'd take a look at the original ekaya theme list if you have everything for it. I typically would run:

Ekaya
- laris
- stalker
- feral or pureblood
- gnarlhorn

Min skinwalkers
Druids

Then the last 2 points into either a wilder, druid UA, or shifting stones (I've never settled on a specific one to fill those last 2).

This theme list is absurdly good thanks to cheaper heavies and absurdly long threat range. Especially against slower armies like those you are taking about you can generally get 2 alpha strikes. Thanks to the feat, and if you bring the druid UA the Menoth force probably won't be able to shoot anything but the skinwalkers with any real effect.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Luebbi posted:

Thing is, they don't do GW style kits - say what you want about the company, but GW plastic kits are amazing, filled with details and varation and an assortment of bits left over. PP simply takes their one-pose metal models and makes plastic kits from them - with none of the extra bits, an inferior plastic and hellish mold lines. They seem aware of the issues with their plastic kits, though, and the fact that they are willing to sell them cheaper than their metal counterparts is also a big plus.

Although I don't think the plastic is a lower quality (it's not the same thing), they definitely need to figure out what the hell is up with their drat mold lines on plastic minis.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'd take a look at the original ekaya theme list if you have everything for it. I typically would run:

Ekaya
- laris
- stalker
- feral or pureblood
- gnarlhorn

Min skinwalkers
Druids

Then the last 2 points into either a wilder, druid UA, or shifting stones (I've never settled on a specific one to fill those last 2).

This theme list is absurdly good thanks to cheaper heavies and absurdly long threat range. Especially against slower armies like those you are taking about you can generally get 2 alpha strikes. Thanks to the feat, and if you bring the druid UA the Menoth force probably won't be able to shoot anything but the skinwalkers with any real effect.

Thanks for the advice! I can definitely make the theme list - I would have to substitute something for the Gnarlhorn (another Warpwolf maybe) as I don't own his model. I gave the theme list some thought before, but I didn't know how well Druids and Skinwalkers played at a 35 point level.

Here's what I can do running 3 heavies (34 points since I don't have a War Wolf) -

eKaya
-Laris
-Pureblood
-Stalker
-Feral
-min Skinwalkers
-Druids

Or I can do the following at 35:

eKaya
-Laris
-Pureblood or Feral
-Stalker
-Gorax
-Druids w/UA (alternatively, cut the UA for a Wilder/Blackclad, but Immunity:Fire is sweet against Menoth)
-min Skinwalkers
-Shifting Stones w/UA

I feel like the second list is a little less all-in on the theme, but having 3 heavies with AD is almost too sweet to pass up.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 28, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

The last time I took eKaya to a 35-point tournament, I had:

eKaya
Laris
Stalker
Stalker
Pureblood
Shifting Stones + UA
Shifting Stones
Wilder
Viktor Pendrake

Specialists: Gorax, Lord of the Feast, Swamp Gobbers, Gallows Grove

For what it's worth, I ended up at the top table and came away with third, and played eKaya against the type of opponents you're talking about.

If I were taking her out today at 35, I'd take exactly the same core list (ignoring the specialists) or maybe trade Pendrake for Swamp Gobbers and an upgrade to Ghetorix, depending on character restrictions and anticipated Legion opponents.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Crosspost from the Miniature Painting thread, here's my Sword Knights plus Rhupert:

I've actually got more than half of my Warmachine figures painted, and around 75% of my Cygnar. I'm at a point where I can field most of my lists with only one or two solos unpainted. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Great job. I will say that blond Rhupert looks like a flower child.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Sulecrist posted:

The last time I took eKaya to a 35-point tournament, I had:

eKaya
Laris
Stalker
Stalker
Pureblood
Shifting Stones + UA
Shifting Stones
Wilder
Viktor Pendrake

Specialists: Gorax, Lord of the Feast, Swamp Gobbers, Gallows Grove

For what it's worth, I ended up at the top table and came away with third, and played eKaya against the type of opponents you're talking about.

If I were taking her out today at 35, I'd take exactly the same core list (ignoring the specialists) or maybe trade Pendrake for Swamp Gobbers and an upgrade to Ghetorix, depending on character restrictions and anticipated Legion opponents.

That list looks solid. I would have to swap a Stalker for a Feral as I don't own two Stalkers, and likewise lose Pendrake for maybe a Blackclad? G-Rex is on my buylist, though.

Any tips on playstyle with that list? Would be my first time playing eKaya.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Lord Of Texas posted:

That list looks solid. I would have to swap a Stalker for a Feral as I don't own two Stalkers, and likewise lose Pendrake for maybe a Blackclad? G-Rex is on my buylist, though.

Any tips on playstyle with that list? Would be my first time playing eKaya.

-Resist the impulse to run Laris and teleport up with Kaya for the assassination. It'll only work once and that kind of victory isn't worth having outside of a tournament (in a pinch, where it'll get you to another round and you'll lose otherwise).
-On the feat turn, Kaya needs to activate early, before any beasts she wants to yank back.
-You have Dogpile so the Blackclad's value will be in his sprays and in grabbing objectives.
-When you feat, place your models near Shifting Stones so that you can use Serenity to pull off Fury the next turn.
-Use the Wilder to either cast Wraithbane on the feat turn or just to wipe away Fury.
-Don't warp Berserk unless your Stalker only needs like 4+ on damage for the kill. Against Trollkin Warders, for instance, you're probably better off warping Strength.
-On average dice, even with Forced Evo, a Warpwolf Stalker warping strength does not one-round many heavies unless he can get his claw in as well. (~28.8 damage against a Gladiator, ~32.1 against a Juggernaut chassis, etc). Just something to always keep in mind. A Feral or Ghetorix will fare better but you generally don't want to assume that these things are guaranteed.
-Don't forget to either contest zones or threaten them so thoroughly that the victory points you give up will be well worth your reprisal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Yeah, I know the plastics are a cost thing. I just hate the subset of people I've met who say "I was never going to get into Warmachine because they had only metal models and I hate metal models but now they have plastics so I'll play with those, but their plastics suck!"

This is a real thing. Ugh.

Also, Bastions were the first plastic sculpt ever, so they are a little rougher than some of the new ones.

• Locked thread