Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Somebody remind me why we were supposed to be excited about Singer coming back? Couldn't we have waited around for Vaughn to have an opening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SirDan3k posted:

Somebody remind me why we were supposed to be excited about Singer coming back? Couldn't we have waited around for Vaughn to have an opening?

X-1 and x-2 are really good movie.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

bobkatt013 posted:

X-1 and x-2 are really good movie.

Yeah but that's because of David Hayter.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Out of everything I've seen about this film this cover is the only thing I've liked, and I like it a lot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Eh, not bad at all compared to others.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Bishop's design is so horribly 90's that it's kind of hard to mess up.

Almost done!

And I really hate their Colossus.

SirDan3k posted:

Someone saw the mega flops of Superman Returns and Jack the Giant Killer and thought "this is who we should give hundreds of millions of dollars to".

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I know everyone hates reboots, but this franchise is in desperate need of one. And if that's too much to ask, how about we leave the Singer aesthetic in the back in the 90's/00's.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

I know everyone hates reboots, but this franchise is in desperate need of one. And if that's too much to ask, how about we leave the Singer aesthetic in the back in the 90's/00's.

The last two movies in the series got good reviews and made money so they need a reboot? I could understand if they did it after Last Stand and Wolverine Origins, but First Class and The Wolverine were good.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

The Wolverine was great,only the Viper ruined what would have been a brilliant pop corn romp.
Also the entire last act.

Madkal posted:

Trask/Dinklage looks awesome and I am sad no-one is admitting this here.
I think because that's basically just a given at this point.

I might think Quicksilver looks like a sub-par anime and a lot of those photos are crap and the trailer was kind of garbage, but this, this right here, is the first thing to make me actually think "You know what, maybe I can skip this one." Halle Berry as Storm is the loving worst.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Happy Hippo posted:

God drat bone claws. Having his claws be bone was loving stupid in the books and now that poo poo is in the movies :(

Yes, I saw The Wolverine.

I remember reading the comic where magneto stripped him of his adamantium, and stopped reading comics right then because I thought it was so loving stupid to do to such an iconic character, but Colossus joins up with them like its no big deal right after.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

bobkatt013 posted:

The last two movies in the series got good reviews and made money so they need a reboot? I could understand if they did it after Last Stand and Wolverine Origins, but First Class and The Wolverine were good.

They're tying those two good movies back together with the two bad movies that proceeded them and creating a bloated mess.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

They're tying those two good movies back together with the two bad movies that proceeded them and creating a bloated mess.

They already did with the Wolverine cameo in First Class, and then the major theme of The Wolverine was him getting over killing Jean. They also are ignoring Wolverine Origins.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

They also are ignoring Wolverine Origins.
What's Wolverine Origins?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

Wolverine 1.

I also take issue with First Class being a good movie. It's about 3/4's a good movie dragged down by 1/4 spectacularly boring movie.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

bobkatt013 posted:

They already did with the Wolverine cameo in First Class, and then the major theme of The Wolverine was him getting over killing Jean. They also are ignoring Wolverine Origins.

All the X-movies have been connected, no one said they weren't. My point was cramming all these past and present characters together seems like a huge mistake given this franchises history with cameos and how they treat characters not named Logan or Wolverine. It's possible that this could be BIGGEST EVER SUPERHERO MOVIE, but it's also possible that this will be a huge clusterfuck.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well. That's something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

It looks a bit like The Fury more than Nimrod.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Deadpool posted:

Well. That's something.

I wish Matthew Vaughan had stayed on so we might have got chunky old Nimrod :(

Also Singer posted the image on Twitter with the caption of "The Final Solution" :stare:.

EDIT: Oh an Bobby got left out of being posted.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 28, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The more I look at this photos, it makes me think that EW was given the raw shots and they did the fx work in them. Bishops gun looks like the most basic photoshot flare.

I want this to be just bad hollywood PR, and the movie to still be good, but part of me wants this to be a massive flop and Sony is forced to sell Xmen rights back to Marvel. Though that would require DoFP to be a massive flop that just destroys the studio, which probably won't happen.

Oh well, at least ASM2 Cap 2 GOG are still looking good.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Empire /= Entertainment Weekly but I know what you mean.

TetsuoTW posted:

A Misspelling of X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
How does Colossus stay up right with that massive loving dome. He looks like a MLB mascot.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

TetsuoTW posted:

I might think Quicksilver looks like a sub-par anime and a lot of those photos are crap and the trailer was kind of garbage, but this, this right here, is the first thing to make me actually think "You know what, maybe I can skip this one." Halle Berry as Storm is the loving worst.

Since I missed this the first time I think it's important to note that Halle Berry did like half a day of filming for the film so she's going to be in it as little as possible.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

I want this to be just bad hollywood PR, and the movie to still be good, but part of me wants this to be a massive flop and Sony is forced to sell Xmen rights back to Marvel. Though that would require DoFP to be a massive flop that just destroys the studio, which probably won't happen.

Well, that'd make Inhumanity a big waste of time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I'd prefer they kept X-Men but compensated for their losses by selling the FF rights to Disney, but it probably won't come to that.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The thing to remember with X-Men films is that regardless of quality X3 is still the top grossing and X-Men: Origins is the third top grossing X-film.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

This thread is weird. Everyone seemed pretty hyped for this movie after that first trailer and now a magazine known for releasing bad and misleading images does so and everyone's like "what a shitfest."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Little Mac posted:

This thread is weird. Everyone seemed pretty hyped for this movie after that first trailer and now a magazine known for releasing bad and misleading images does so and everyone's like "what a shitfest."

Well yeah, if you take the posts of various individuals and view them as a monolithic entity, there will be some inconsistency.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Little Mac posted:

Really? Other than "here are old people you remember from the Singer films" I thought the general feeling was that it was a terrible trailer that showed nothing about the film other than make it look cheap and was immediately overshadowed by the likes of the Amazing 2 trailer?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like that trailer just 'cause I like seeing all those characters, but in terms of production it's pretty rotten. It doesn't really tell you anything about the film at all. Still think it's going to be a fun movie, though!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought the trailer was terrible. There was nothing to see in it really and on top of that the editing was atrocious.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Little Mac posted:

I was almost as underwhelmed by the trailer for DoFP as I was for the First Class one. It lacked any sense of dynamism or pacing, especially as compared to the Winter Soldier trailer which came out just before, though it was certainly a step up from First Class' "the X-Men watch TV news" trailer. Everything about this film smacks of a flailing desperation to beat Marvel at its own game but without any real understanding of why the MCU is as wildly successful as it is. And frankly, I don't know that I have any faith left in Singer; he hasn't made a good film since X2, 11 years ago (and I didn't mind Superman Returns but it was far from a home run.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They looked at the MCU and the only part they took was "It doesn't have to be good to be successful".

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Seeing these pictures come up is interesting, but I'm still not that excited about the movie.

First, "Days of Future Past" is an iconic story, with that Iconic cover image, but if you go back and actually read the original "Days" issues, it's actually almost nothing like people think the story is. A lot of what people think happened comes from the X-Men cartoon episodes titled "days of future past" and all of that Bishop stuff from the 90s. We think of the comics because that cover kicked rear end and because it dared to do something that no other comic had really done before.

It seems like the people who wanted to make an X-Men film sat around a table and were like, "What should we do next to please or fans?" and somebody shouted out "Days of Future Past!" and then they just started patting each other on the back because they found a way to blend the original X-Men trilogy with First Class. Of course, every time a comic book movie tries to please the fans by incorporating inconic story elements or homage plotlines (Last Stand trying to cram in Pheonix Saga, Venom and Spider-Man 3) is that they tend to be really lovely.

Nothing about what I've seen of Days of Future Past says "We made decisions that will allow us to tell the best story possible." What I've seen says, "We just want to make a poo poo ton of money"

Now, While "First Class" wasn't a perfect movie, it was a pretty fun and entertaining take on the X-Men. "Days" will pretty much ensure that there is no other follow up to the film. If this doesn't meet expectations, no more first class films. Even if it does well, how can you do bigger than this with First Class?

Also, while perhaps we don't need a reboot, the final problem is that Day of Future Past seems to be doing absolutely nothing to fix the lovely elements of X-Men film past. It either seems to ignore it (welcome back Patrick in your own body) or assume we've forgotten (welcome back Halle). They just keep marching forward, always acting like the next big thing they do will make everything better. There is no plan here, just a bunch of CGI and gimmicks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I remember the marketing for First Class being pretty similarly bad like this, particularly when they released that first cast poster.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

EDIT: Oh an Bobby got left out of being posted.

You want me to pose how? Like I'm pushing a kid on a swing? What?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

FlamingLiberal posted:

I remember the marketing for First Class being pretty similarly bad like this, particularly when they released that first cast poster.

The thing with the First Class marketing is that when all the terrible first photo's and that were coming out Vaughan publicly denounced them and said they were not indicative of the final product and shouldn't have been released. Which was true.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Every time I look at this pic I could swear it's a gif of his hair slowly growing out.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It strikes me that lesson Fox, and frankly DC, have taken from the MCU is more heroes = more money. They see the end result of The Avengers and ignore the five years of work leading up to it, they forget that The Avengers was the payoff to a lot of work and not a quick cash in. First Class and Man Of Steel: On The Knight Shift are jumping to the endpoint without any build up. It's understandable that they're blinded by a $1.5 billion box office take, but given how much Fox is pouring into DoFP, it's going to be really easy for a modest response to become a proportional bomb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rantmo posted:

The Avengers was the payoff to a lot of work and not a quick cash in.

It actually managed to be both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

rantmo posted:

It strikes me that lesson Fox, and frankly DC, have taken from the MCU is more heroes = more money. They see the end result of The Avengers and ignore the five years of work leading up to it, they forget that The Avengers was the payoff to a lot of work and not a quick cash in. First Class and Man Of Steel: On The Knight Shift are jumping to the endpoint without any build up. It's understandable that they're blinded by a $1.5 billion box office take, but given how much Fox is pouring into DoFP, it's going to be really easy for a modest response to become a proportional bomb.

Yeah but as far as studios are concerned if they "put in the work" it won't really be worth it money wise. Marvel Studios had to endure through Thor, Hulk and Captain America not really setting the world on fire and lucked out with Iron Man being an anchor for Avengers and had the bonus of having Paramount doing distribution.

Ignoring of course the fact that Disney first bought Marvel during this and then bought the Marvel Studios films.

• Locked thread