Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like someone at Warner needs to put down the crack pipe. The new TCM Archives issue of The Lady from Shanghai is encoded in VC-1 (is this 2006?), Dolby Digital sound, and it's packaged in a DVD case. It looks like the Eddie Mueller commentary was a mistake and he actually recorded an interview instead. Instead, it has the Peter Bogdanovich commentary from the DVD.

It certainly looks good from the DVD Beaver caps, but you'd think an Orson Welles film would get better.

There's nothing wrong with VC-1 :colbert:
(Honestly, they probably did do the encode back in 2006)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just want to read people discussing X-files, haha, I love this show! I am not one to make a thread tho - wonder if there is one in TVIV.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Vintersorg posted:

I just want to read people discussing X-files, haha, I love this show! I am not one to make a thread tho - wonder if there is one in TVIV.

There is.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Yeah, I forgot that in the X-Files creationism is true because aliens created humans. Kind of an unintended consequence of making a show like that, I guess.

Creationism means everything was created from nothing by a supernatural being. I'm not sure what the "aliens made us" term is. "Crazy as balls" maybe?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

I, Butthole posted:

Welp I literally just bought this a week ago and it's shipped. gently caress.

I'm really, really torn on buying some older TV on DVD stuff; mainly Seinfeld and Scrubs. I know Scrubs was shot on 16mm and SD video so I'm pretty sure I should just grab them on DVD instead of Blu, but Seinfeld I'm less sure of. It's a show that's had countless re-releases on DVD, has screened in HD so a source is available to my knowledge, and being that it's a shitload of TV I can't see myself rewatching it after a binge. On the flipside, though, the 38 disc special edition boxset is only $63 in Australia at the moment which is a really nice deal. What should I do?

I've got the Complete Seinfeld DVD set and it looks great to me.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
As much as I adore Seinfeld it's always seemed like the most pointless show to buy. Granted, syndication chops off some jokes here and there, which can be jarring when you've seen the episodes on DVD as much as I have, but you can see it on TV like eight thousand times a day, so with a DVR I have more than enough to keep me happy.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Criminal Minded posted:

As much as I adore Seinfeld it's always seemed like the most pointless show to buy. Granted, syndication chops off some jokes here and there, which can be jarring when you've seen the episodes on DVD as much as I have, but you can see it on TV like eight thousand times a day, so with a DVR I have more than enough to keep me happy.

Oh man, no way. I watch Seinfeld constantly, and more often than not I choose which episode to watch based on a particular scene that pops into my head and I'm dying to rewatch. I couldn't live without my Seinfeld DVDs.

EDIT: Oh, also it's actually a fantastic show to watch in sequence. Most every season has at least some continuity from episode to episode, which is totally lost if you watch them sporadically.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Criminal Minded posted:

Granted, syndication chops off some jokes here and there, which can be jarring when you've seen the episodes on DVD as much as I have.

Funnily enough, the 16x9 HD versions that are shown in syndication also literally chop some jokes off!

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

I, Butthole posted:

Welp I literally just bought this a week ago and it's shipped. gently caress.

I'm really, really torn on buying some older TV on DVD stuff; mainly Seinfeld and Scrubs. I know Scrubs was shot on 16mm and SD video so I'm pretty sure I should just grab them on DVD instead of Blu, but Seinfeld I'm less sure of.
Scrubs was pretty much entirely 16mm (maybe not 'My Life in Four Cameras'), was shot 16:9 safe from episode two, and while it's not 35mm but still benefits quite a bit from HD -- the ABC season as well as its experiemental HD episode on NBC ("My Transition") looked way better than SD.

Whether it heads to Blu or is just for syndication I'd imagine HD versions will surface.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 25, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Funnily enough, the 16x9 HD versions that are shown in syndication also literally chop some jokes off!

Not true. It was actually shot in widescreen and cropped for 4:3, so it's the opposite. Once in a while it bothers me because you end up seeing things that were deliberately shot to be out of frame when they cropped the picture.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Not true. It was actually shot in widescreen and cropped for 4:3, so it's the opposite. Once in a while it bothers me because you end up seeing things that were deliberately shot to be out of frame when they cropped the picture.

I hate you for making me become a total nerd and goon here, but, here it goes:

Seinfeld wasn't shot in widescreen or with widescreen in mind. I don't know what the final aspect ratio of the frame was, but basically, it's a scenario where when they did the 16x9 conversion, they were able to open up the sides a bit and still cropped a little off the top and the bottom.

Someone actually did some comparisons: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1063659/seinfeld-in-hd-on-tbs-hd/30#post_14593148

That was something they talked about with Star Trek the Next Generation. They could open up the sides a bit for a 16x9 conversion, but then they would start running into problems with things appearing that would normally be masked off.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Seinfeld wasn't shot in widescreen or with widescreen in mind. I don't know what the final aspect ratio of the frame was, but basically, it's a scenario where when they did the 16x9 conversion, they were able to open up the sides a bit and still cropped a little off the top and the bottom.

Someone actually did some comparisons: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1063659/seinfeld-in-hd-on-tbs-hd/30#post_14593148

That was something they talked about with Star Trek the Next Generation. They could open up the sides a bit for a 16x9 conversion, but then they would start running into problems with things appearing that would normally be masked off.

Very interesting. We're definitely seeing more vertical cropping than we are horizontal expanding, which sucks. Any chance we'll see both versions on the eventual Blu-ray?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Prometheus - $5

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LAIHY0?tag=evdaisafi-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B005LAIHY0&adid=10FKFC6EWZ24A26D5QQ1

- edit And I guess I get to eat my hat about this one. Looks like the entire Man With No Name Trilogy is getting a 4K remaster rerelease. Hopefully it will be on par with the Italian release.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZN8TBC?tag=evdaisafi-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00HZN8TBC&adid=1FJVQ1XJ9BYDWKCKVWNX

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 25, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cemetry Gator posted:

To continue, essentially Seinfeld was shot on a 4perf stock which gives quite a square frame size, and crops to 4:3 nicely. This is different to Friends which was shot on 3perf, which is cheaper as you use less film, and gives a frame shape that's closer to 16:9 and is then cropped to 4:3. This means the BD and HD prints open up the frame (which is why you get some people complain because you're seeing elements that weren't in the directors preview) but fits a HDTV screen nicely. Seinfeld currently crops the frame to widescreen which butchers the image, but TV bosses and 'normal people' like it because no black bars. Hopefully a BD release is in the original aspect ratio as there is absolutely no argument for widescreen in this case.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So are they going to do this kind of nonsense to the X-Files blu-rays? If they do at least the later seasons were in widescreen.

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.

hitze posted:

X-Files still aren't confirmed for Blu-Ray right? Some German channel just started airing The X-Files in HD.

Um, this is awesome right here.

I remember reading a quote from one of the production team that the early seasons were actually shot 16:9 safe.

neolithic fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 26, 2014

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

So are they going to do this kind of nonsense to the X-Files blu-rays? If they do at least the later seasons were in widescreen.

I don't think anybody knows, at this point. The other thing to remember is that Seinfeld in HD exists both in 4x3 and 16x9 versions. They did the remaster back when they issued the DVDs, which are obviously 4x3. So I wouldn't be surprised if they prepare both versions. One for home video and one for broadcast. They did that with the HD Star Trek remasters as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I rewatched the Matrix trilogy on bluray over the weekend, having not seen any of them since the sequels were in theatres.

They all looked great on bluray, and I actually liked the sequels a lot more than I remembered liking them a decade ago. That's not to say they don't have problems, and they aren't as good as the first one, but I think maybe I "got" them better this time around.

Having said that, the at-the-time "revolutionary" effects aren't nearly as impressive to me nowadays, but perhaps that's because a lot of the scow-mo stuff has been played out or parodied by tons of other stuff in the past 15 years.

Having said that, and I can't believe I'm about to suggest this, I think the Matrix movies would benefit from a 3D conversion. If done right, I think the slow-mo effects could look incredible in 3D.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xenomrph posted:

Having said that, and I can't believe I'm about to suggest this, I think the Matrix movies would benefit from a 3D conversion. If done right, I think the slow-mo effects could look incredible in 3D.

I have a TV with 3D conversion. When I get the chance I'll give it a try. It won't be as good as a proper conversion of the source material, but if it looks even half decent then you'll be right.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jedit posted:

I have a TV with 3D conversion. When I get the chance I'll give it a try. It won't be as good as a proper conversion of the source material, but if it looks even half decent then you'll be right.
I completely forgot TVs like that exist. I'm blown away that TVs can even do that - just take... whatever, and make it 3D. How does it know how to get the depth-of-field right, or what to make "the background" and what's "the foreground" on the fly? That's some seriously science-fiction poo poo right there.

Then again I have trouble convincing myself we don't live in "the future" sometimes. Go ahead, say the words "It is the year 2014" out loud and see if it feels like you just said the opening lines to some sci-fi movie.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Xenomrph posted:

I completely forgot TVs like that exist. I'm blown away that TVs can even do that - just take... whatever, and make it 3D. How does it know how to get the depth-of-field right, or what to make "the background" and what's "the foreground" on the fly? That's some seriously science-fiction poo poo right there.

Then again I have trouble convincing myself we don't live in "the future" sometimes. Go ahead, say the words "It is the year 2014" out loud and see if it feels like you just said the opening lines to some sci-fi movie.

On the fly "3D conversion" (the kind they build into TVs) is a joke and anyone who thinks it looks good has terrible eyesight.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Baby steps... baby steps... :smith:

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Five Cent Deposit posted:

On the fly "3D conversion" (the kind they build into TVs) is a joke and anyone who thinks it looks good has terrible eyesight.

It works ok enough for cartoons. Sometimes.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Upcoming Universal releases...

King Kong Escapes - April 1
King Kong Vs. Godzilla - April 1
Two Mules for Sister Sara - April 1
Rooster Cogburn - April 1
Joe Kidd - April 1
The War Wagon - April 1

Touch of Evil - April 15
Double Indemnity - April 15

Amistad - May 6
The Terminal - May 6

Touch of Evil has all three cuts in HD (new 4K restoration at least for the reconstruction) and all the commentaries and documentaries. It also seems to have the reproduction of Welles' memo. Double Indemnity has the extras intact, including the 1970s TV remake. It's also a new 4K restoration from the newly found camera negative.

edit: Added The Terminal

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 28, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Egbert Souse posted:

King Kong Vs. Godzilla - April 1

I'd love to have these, but I can't see myself paying more than $5-ish bucks for them. :(

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Touch of Evil - April 15
Double Indemnity - April 15

Holy poo poo. Along with Sleep, My Love that's gonna be a great day for noir on Blu.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Egbert Souse posted:

Touch of Evil has all three cuts in HD (new 4K restoration at least for the reconstruction) and all the commentaries and documentaries. It also seems to have the reproduction of Welles' memo. Double Indemnity has the extras intact, including the 1970s TV remake. It's also a new 4K restoration from the newly found camera negative.
Whoa. Two films in my personal Top 20 hitting on the same day.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Red posted:

I'd love to have these, but I can't see myself paying more than $5-ish bucks for them. :(

I would if they include the Japanese language track with them this time.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

LightsGameraAction posted:

I would if they include the Japanese language track with them this time.

I haven't seen the Mecha-Kong movie since I was 8, and I'm pretty sure I watched it on Japanese TV. It's purely nostalgia for me. :unsmith:

The Kong/Godzilla one is pretty good for its time, though.

Has Universal released any Japanese rubber monster Blu-Rays before? How have they been treated if so?

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Egbert Souse posted:

YES! This movie is so out there, it's definitely a day one purchase for me!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Red posted:

I haven't seen the Mecha-Kong movie since I was 8, and I'm pretty sure I watched it on Japanese TV. It's purely nostalgia for me. :unsmith:

The Kong/Godzilla one is pretty good for its time, though.

Has Universal released any Japanese rubber monster Blu-Rays before? How have they been treated if so?

Knowing Universal it's probably just gonna be the same as the DVD's they released a few years back.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Looks like Amazon is offering a movie ticket when you buy Robocop now.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

foodfight posted:

Looks like Amazon is offering a movie ticket when you buy Robocop now.

Oh man, I'm glad I lost my debit card and couldn't order it until now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Why did I bother preordering :argh:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I might not have been able to live another day but now I can since I have a free movie ticket.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I might not have been able to live another day but now I can since I have a free movie ticket.

Well, it's not a golden free ticket to see any movie. The ticket is to go see the new Robocop.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The promotion has been active since the other day. When I ordered my copy, I didn't get the promotion applied. I emailed Amazon to see if I qualified or what the deal was, and they just ended up refunding me $7.50 (the cost of the promotion). So YMMV if the promotion works or not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do you need the physical ticket? If they've put one in my copy and it's just a redemption code or something, then it's useless to me in the UK so will happily play it forward.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I wish I hadn't pre-ordered and got my copy a week ago :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Why the hell hasn't Berbarian Sound Studio been released on blu-ray in the US?

• Locked thread