Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The latest Build Fighters has taught me that I am Bad At Gunpla.

So many MGs ruined by ugly nubs and accidental cutter damage. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

For you guys who do the GBWC, is it possible to enter in multiple countries? This is purely hypothetical but I know for sure I'll be visiting relatives in the Philippines during the summer during the period they usually hold a gundam/model competition. I'll be visiting family in HK and Australia too but prob not when they have an event. I know I should probably just focus on making one model stellar but I got a couple when I was in HK a couple months back.

e: Cool, thanks! It's more a point of pride I suppose and my cousins would like to see what I can do with the things so I was gonna bring my best down anyway.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 28, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fox of Stone posted:

For you guys who do the GBWC, is it possible to enter in multiple countries? This is purely hypothetical but I know for sure I'll be visiting relatives in the Philippines during the summer during the period they usually hold a gundam/model competition. I'll be visiting family in HK and Australia too but prob not when they have an event. I know I should probably just focus on making one model stellar but I got a couple when I was in HK a couple months back.

One of the rules of the national GBWCs is typically that you must be a citizen or resident of the country whose contest you enter. That said I have yet to see them checking passports at a model show. You could probably get away with it unless you won the whole thing and would be representing that country at the World Championships.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Hey is the HG Star Build Strike available yet? I see it on Amazon and I'm cautious.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
about Build Fighters, I thought his dad was going to bedead/the final boss in a mask not some gunpla hobo/cop

is that mall supposed to be the Diver City Mall? It looks awfully familiar

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 28, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's been official information that Sei's dad is alive since the very first episode. Not really sure why so many people thought he was dead.

And yeah, that's the joke. I think they call it Ocean Mall or some other suspiciously close name.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The show is pretty great.

We do have the Build Fighters thread, so we don't accidentally turn this one into a spoiler minefield too.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Hey is the HG Star Build Strike available yet? I see it on Amazon and I'm cautious.

It's been out for about a week or so, I think. I have one on my desk now.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

SpikeMcclane posted:

And it's on it's way.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Huh.

Looks like the 1/144's WoL do work on the HGUC. Not exactly a tight fit (hell he might have just jammed it in), but at least that previous V2 wasn't a complete waste of money.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

SpikeMcclane posted:

Who did you order yours from? Gundam Guy still has it as a preorder (I preordered). If somebody else is faster I'm interested.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I got it from HLJ. In this case, I already had some other things ordered that were coming out about the same time and tossed a few of the build fighters kits on preorders when they had their black friday sale. Due to shipping break points, it worked out to nearly half price. If you prorate the shipping, it was still decent savings, but if you're just going to buy 1 or 2 things, it can make it more expensive than just waiting on a localish retailer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Gundamguy's got review pictures of the HG Strike Gundam version No.3,295

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/hgce-1144-aile-strike-gundam-review-by.html

I'm surprised they cheaped out on stickers for the Aile's main wings, considering everything else red on it is actual plastic parts. Also, what's the quality like on the Union FLAG 00 kits? Specifically the Graham custom one.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gundamguy's got review pictures of the HG Strike Gundam version No.3,295

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/hgce-1144-aile-strike-gundam-review-by.html

I'm surprised they cheaped out on stickers for the Aile's main wings, considering everything else red on it is actual plastic parts. Also, what's the quality like on the Union FLAG 00 kits? Specifically the Graham custom one.

Not surprising, the wings they have stickers for are the red/black ones so it's cheaper to do a single black piece than a red piece that locks into the black piece. Also the HG Flag looks good but the overall weirdness of the Flag's appendages makes it hard to do any sort of pose unless you put it on a stand. I'd say it's worth it if it's under $15.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 28, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh good, the HG Perfect Strike accessories fit on it. Now there's actually a point to getting that! :toot:

Far more importantly, MG GX review is up.

EDIT: Uhhh, either the clear parts on the solar panels comes colorless, or this thing used stickers after all.

EDIT 2: Also, preorders for the HG Turn A and its effect parts are up on GG Infinite. I just laid down $56 for a HG, and I feel no regret at all.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 28, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

Not surprising, the wings they have stickers for are the red/black ones so it's cheaper to do a single black piece than a red piece that locks into the black piece. Also the HG Flag looks good but the overall weirdness of the Flag's appendages makes it hard to do any sort of pose unless you put it on a stand. I'd say it's worth it if it's under $15.

Just seems weird compared to the surprisingly high quality of the rest of it. And regarding the FLAG, I put my kits on stands anyway so that shouldn't be a problem. It's $18AU at my local hobby store, which probably comes out about the same as it would be in the US. Nothing else wrong aside from awkward limb posing?

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh good, the HG Perfect Strike accessories fit on it. Now there's actually a point to getting that! :toot:

You'd probably be better off waiting for the inevitable Perfect Strike upgrade kit.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nothing else wrong aside from awkward limb posing?

The linear rifle has some slight issues staying in the hand, that could just be me though. Putting it in the left hand (as is proper for Graham's Flag) solved those issues.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

The linear rifle has some slight issues staying in the hand, that could just be me though. Putting it in the left hand (as is proper for Graham's Flag) solved those issues.

Awesome. While I remember, has anyone managed to get ahold of an HG Kampfer Amazing yet? Starting to lean towards getting one of those rather than the Zaku and wanted to make sure it was as good as it looks to be. And see what I can do to it with an Amazing Booster.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You'd probably be better off waiting for the inevitable Perfect Strike upgrade kit.

The HG Perfect Strike accessories were an entirely new mold crammed onto the old 1/144. :ssh:

Also Kampfer Amazing is sold out pretty much everywhere last time I checked.

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, what's the quality like on the Union FLAG 00 kits? Specifically the Graham custom one.
I only have Graham's Flag (although in hindsight, most of the Flags share the same construction - only real difference between them are paint jobs or rifles/guns)
It looks wicked and I love its alt-mode. But let me tell you about the bad points:

- Ankles suck! They have a very small range of motion and limits it to really basic poses when on the ground (needs action base)
- Hips are weird and although mine haven't yet, I can guess the ABS joint will loosen over time (and if you keep transforming it)
- Gun is unwieldy - I would've liked the option of the original linear rifle since it was a little smaller and more "one-hand-able" but alas the kit doesn't come with it.

All in all, it was ok. I got it out of sheer curiosity and I got it cheap. If I had the choice, I might've gone with the original Flag, since the design can get lost in Graham's all black colour scheme. If you can get the original Flag for $18AUD, then cool :)

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I bought some top coats to try out locally, but I wanted to try Mr Color flat spray. I went online and most places were out of stock except robots4less so I gave them a try.

My order was over week ago, and I live about 500 miles from them so I knew shipping shouldn't take that long. I emailed them and got no reply. Yesterday I called them and they told me their website crashed and when they got it back up the store put everything as 'in stock'. Rather than taking it down again to fix that or disabling the shopping cart until they inventoried they decided to just keep accepting orders and payment and if they had it they shipped it.
If you were like me and ordered something that was really out of stock, instead of informing you they couldn't fulfill the order they elected to just say nothing and hope you didn't notice until they did get stock. In my case the kid on the phone said it'd be two weeks... maybe (remember I'd already waited over a week before calling). There's the chance it won't be in that shipment.

So yeah, R4L not recommended. I ended up just ordering it from Hobbywave.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Companies like that deserve to go out of business as far as I'm concerned.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jesus Christ, that's awful. Guess I'll avoid them in the future.

Also, I found an old, half completed and half crushed RX-78 ver Ka at the bottom of some old shipping boxes in the basement. Maybe I'll look for a weathering/battle damage guide and make that a project to offset its pitiful state.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

I bought some top coats to try out locally, but I wanted to try Mr Color flat spray. I went online and most places were out of stock except robots4less so I gave them a try.

My order was over week ago, and I live about 500 miles from them so I knew shipping shouldn't take that long. I emailed them and got no reply. Yesterday I called them and they told me their website crashed and when they got it back up the store put everything as 'in stock'. Rather than taking it down again to fix that or disabling the shopping cart until they inventoried they decided to just keep accepting orders and payment and if they had it they shipped it.
If you were like me and ordered something that was really out of stock, instead of informing you they couldn't fulfill the order they elected to just say nothing and hope you didn't notice until they did get stock. In my case the kid on the phone said it'd be two weeks... maybe (remember I'd already waited over a week before calling). There's the chance it won't be in that shipment.

So yeah, R4L not recommended. I ended up just ordering it from Hobbywave.

That happened to me with an HG Nobel Gundam, but I should've expected that, it's out of stock everywhere ever.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Build Fighters is a terrible show for a recovering gunpla addict.
There goes all my disposable income.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I am spending pretty much all the money right now. Just put down $40 for a bunch of waterslides. :suicide:

On the plus side, with that purchase I've gotten everything I want until MG Turn X in May. I want to wait and see if there'll be a MG Star Build Strike a la MG V Dash, and since MG X just came out MG X Divider will probably take a while.

...Hopefully.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Turn X in May.

I sort of hate you for letting me know that's a thing, since I haven't been keeping up with plamo news in years. There goes all my other money in May I guess.

... kinda goofy, but since I had built every HG Astray, I found myself unable to not pre-order MG Sengoku Astray. Also the MG Phenex (dat box-art). It will look nice next to our Hyakushiki.

VV EDIT: That Sazabi Ver.Ka looks awesome. We had the old MG and it was terrible, lots of balance and joint issues. VV

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 29, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I am spending pretty much all the money right now. Just put down $40 for a bunch of waterslides. :suicide:

Holy drat, what all did you get?

Also, I know my wallet is gonna be crying soon. My MG wishlist at this point is the Proto Zero, Sazabi Ver Ka, Nu + Double Funnel set, the Tallgeese (TIII too, if I can find it), ReZEL Type-C, and the Unicorn Phenex. At least there's nothing coming out after the Phenex that I really want. Yet.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

Build Fighters is a terrible show for a recovering gunpla addict.
There goes all my disposable income.

Its rough on guys getting started in the hobby too. I'll see a mobile suit and think 'yeah thats cool' then they'll feature it in an episode and its like HOLY poo poo THAT THING IS BADASS i.e. all the suits ending in 'amazing'.

Poor little Suzie working at the club, I'm sorry I can't help you get through dental school this month either.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I can imagine... at least I have all my airbrushes and paint and markers and other tools in storage already, don't have to buy any of that stuff, just kits.

I agree with you, that Kaempfer Amazing looks rad as hell.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

S-Alpha posted:

Also, I know my wallet is gonna be crying soon. My MG wishlist at this point is the Proto Zero, Sazabi Ver Ka, Nu + Double Funnel set, the Tallgeese (TIII too, if I can find it), ReZEL Type-C, and the Unicorn Phenex. At least there's nothing coming out after the Phenex that I really want. Yet.

Now that I just finished assembling my Gouf 2.0, I'm looking to get the Gelgoog 2.0, Qubeley, G Gundam, Master Gundam and Nu Gundam ver. ka next. After that, maybe I'll finally get a Guntank and Hyaku Shiki so I can finish off my MSG and Zeta hero teams. I should get a GM of some sort too, I don't have any GMs in 1/100.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

GM 2.0 is pretty drat good, and Guntank is probably one of the most detailed tank model out there and undeniably the most articulated. Hyaku Shiki's pretty horrid though.

S-Alpha posted:

1/144 versions of Samueldecal's ZZ, FA ZZ (I had him slightly modify the FAZZ's sheet), Nu vKa, and Sazabi vKa waterslides, plus his versions of the RG Zeta and Destiny's decals. Also picked up the MG AGE-1 Normal's sheet for a friend and the MG scale Exia RII slides since the packaged ones look boring.

My wishlist at the moment is... actually pretty much done. Just need to wait till my club's next bulk order so I can pick up RG Zeta and RG Destiny + WoL and pick up the Qan[t] someday. My backlog, on the other hand...

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 29, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Well gently caress, just opened my fancy (expensive) new Micro-Mark modeler's chisel and the tip is damaged. So much for tonight's session.

I've recommended Micro-Mark many times in this thread, but I've never had to deal with a return before. Remains to be seen how well they handle it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Thinking about a new project where I'd like to add gold detailing to some of the armour. Wild a fine gold pen and a steady hand do to put that over paint, say Tamiya?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What kind of detail? I assume you mean acrylic tamiya, too, right?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

muike posted:

What kind of detail? I assume you mean acrylic tamiya, too, right?

I guess this is sort of the look I'm after, probably also over black, just gold patterns and details over some of the plating. Or perhaps like Ebony gear in Skyrim.

And yeah, regular Tamiya acrylic.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

GM 2.0 is pretty drat good, and Guntank is probably one of the most detailed tank model out there and undeniably the most articulated. Hyaku Shiki's pretty horrid though.

1/144 versions of Samueldecal's ZZ, FA ZZ (I had him slightly modify the FAZZ's sheet), Nu vKa, and Sazabi vKa waterslides, plus his versions of the RG Zeta and Destiny's decals. Also picked up the MG AGE-1 Normal's sheet for a friend and the MG scale Exia RII slides since the packaged ones look boring.

My wishlist at the moment is... actually pretty much done. Just need to wait till my club's next bulk order so I can pick up RG Zeta and RG Destiny + WoL and pick up the Qan[t] someday. My backlog, on the other hand...

I can speak from experience, the RG Destiny is pretty sweet.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

BlitzBlast posted:

To be fair, I'd just want the Hyaku Shiki to complete the Zeta\MKII\Hyaku Shiki trio. Same with completing the Gundam\Guncannon\Guntank trinity. I'm not really a big fan of the Hyaku Shiki, and from Zeta I think I'd want the Quebely and a red Rick Dias before I grab one of those. And maybe a Hizack and Nemo. Already have the Zeta 2.0, MK II 2.0 and Marasai.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The Shiki is fine as long as you can get it into the pose you want without any of the limbs falling off and then never touch it again.

On an unrelated note: I wonder, has Bandai recently started using a cheaper, cheezy-soft plastic for its kits? I do not remember parts being this easy to damage during cleanup, but the last couple of kits I've done pretty much melt under even light sanding and have been utter poo poo to carve or scribe. It would be annoying enough in any case but for nano-sized stuff like this HGUC F91 I'm working on it has been absolute murder.

edit: VVV definitely not ABS, and I believe they've dropped that from their kit lines anyway.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't think so, but they've been using a lot more ABS recently, maybe it was just one of those. The polystyrene seems like as good or higher quality than it's ever been on the most recent kits I've checked out.

• Locked thread