Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Full Circle posted:

My understanding is it's simply a guarantee of a certain amount of detergents in the fuel. Heres Audi's publicity piece on it:

http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audiusa/Documents/Audi-2010-Oil-and-Fuel-Brochure.pdf

Yeah they gave me that when I bought my car. I'm just generally skeptical of these kinds of things. However the difference in premium prices seems to be pretty minuscule when comparing those on the list vs. those not, and since Shell and Holiday are right down the road it probably doesn't matter either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
'Top tier' gas doesn't have anything to do with economy, the theory is that it cuts down on carbon deposits on the valves. I think the general understanding is that it's horseshit, but if you complain about anything that sounds like coking symptoms while the car is under warranty, Audi is going to insist you use 'top tier' gas / blame your problems on not doing so for a while before digging any deeper.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Snowdens Secret posted:

'Top tier' gas doesn't have anything to do with economy, the theory is that it cuts down on carbon deposits on the valves. I think the general understanding is that it's horseshit, but if you complain about anything that sounds like coking symptoms while the car is under warranty, Audi is going to insist you use 'top tier' gas / blame your problems on not doing so for a while before digging any deeper.

All we can do is recommend top tier gas or fuel additive. We can't do anything unless the car is misfiring or throws a fault due to excessive carbon buildup on the valves causing a stuck valve. Warranty won't cover us for the labor if we don't have proof of a fault.

If that happens we would take off the intake manifold and clean all the valves by hand under warranty. The thing is that the car is usually out of warranty by the time it gets that bad. Unfortunately this will never change unless Audi puts out an extended warranty for carbon buildup like they have for other issues (such as the clogging of secondary air injection ports with carbon).

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 28, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Is this still a problem with the newer 2.0t? I'm probably going to be buying a new R when the MK7 comes out.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

veedubfreak posted:

Is this still a problem with the newer 2.0t? I'm probably going to be buying a new R when the MK7 comes out.

The carbon problem isn't that bad on the 2.0t. I mean they do get a lot of carbon but it doesn't seem to cause a problem usually. The 3.0T, 3.2l and 4.2 get really bad. I've only seen a couple of 2.0t with problems from carbon buildup, but a lot of the other engines. That says a lot considering that the 2.0T is by far the most common engine we see.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
How is it possible for VW ignition coils to be so lovely?

Dec. 2012 I had to replace 1 & 4 coils.
Feb. 2013 I had to replace 2 & 3 coils.
Jan. 2014 I had to replace 1 & 4 coils again (oh look, 1 month past the warranty on the parts).

Now, this past week, my engine light came back on, and I've been getting bucking or stuttering when trying to accelerate slowly (around 2000 rpm). Let me guess - this is ignition coils again?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What year? Just get a TDI, no coil packs.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kashwashwa posted:

Jan. 2014 I had to replace 1 & 4 coils again (oh look, 1 month past the warranty on the parts).

Now, this past week, my engine light came back on, and I've been getting bucking or stuttering when trying to accelerate slowly (around 2000 rpm). Let me guess - this is ignition coils again?

I had the set replaced in my '05 GTI under a recall notice a few years ago and they basically said they're just poorly designed/built and it'll happen again eventually :iiam:

Decayed
Dec 30, 2004

Shang-a-lang
Fun Shoe
Test driving an MY09 Passat R36 tomorrow, any specifics to look out for?

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

I asked here earlier about replacing an HID bulb on a '98 A6. Unfortunately, while the old bulb was definitely burnt out, the new bulb did not work either.

Should I replace the HID fixture? Would it be cheaper to replace the HID setup with halogen lights?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Probably a stupid question, but I'm overdue a full service on the A4, is it worth paying more for Audi servicing (the last few have not been), or just use my trusted place? The last 3 services under the previous owner were just a generic garage, and I don't think I will ever sell it on.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Steve French posted:

To be clear, the microphone problem is not a problem with the Bluetooth connection, it is something wrong with the mic itself. I've found evidence of many others with the same problem with all sorts of supposed fixes, like taking it out and putting it in backwards. It is possible that they solved the issue sometime between the 2012 and 2014 models.

As for the audio quality, it isn't horrible and I mostly listen to podcasts on long rides in the car so it is plenty good for talk radio. But I have noticed that music sounds noticeably better over the wired connection.

Ok, I understand better. I've never actually called myself from my car so I don't even have any subjective data to go on, but I've never had anyone complain that I sound like rear end when I'm calling via the car. I'll have to pick up a lightning adapter to test the audio thing. I think the audio quality is pretty good, but then again my last vehicle was a 32 year old Mercedes 240d connected to my iPhone via a tape adapter. Perhaps my frame of reference is screwed.

If you like, I can call you from my car sometime. Just PM your number.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Kashwashwa posted:

I think you mean in Jan 2014 you had to replace 2&3 coils again under warranty.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I've had my A4 Avant for about a week now. It's been really nice in this horrible Minnesota weather. My only little complaint is that it needs a bit more headroom (I'm 6'1", and with the seat on the lowest setting my hair brushes a bit against the top by the sunroof). I did go ahead and purchase an auxiliary adapter so I can use my Android phone. You can also buy a custom made bluetooth adapter, but those cost quite a bit more.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Kashwashwa posted:

What car and are you modded at all? People are putting R8 coils in some of the 2.0T engines, with some claims they are actually different/better.

http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3606

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
How good/bad of an idea is it to buy a Mk5 GTI? I drive a high miles 93' BMW right now so I am well versed in the german car experience. What are the common faults?

Also what is the difference between the A3 and the GTI in that generation?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

8ender posted:

How good/bad of an idea is it to buy a Mk5 GTI? I drive a high miles 93' BMW right now so I am well versed in the german car experience. What are the common faults?

Also what is the difference between the A3 and the GTI in that generation?
I have one that I really like. If you can, try to get a 2008.5 or 2009, as they switched to the newer TSI engine that is in the Mk6. This fixes a lot of the common problems with the FSI in the earlier models. They are not without their faults, however. The coil packs have a habit of going out every 50-60k ($100-150 fix), and like many DI engines, the intake valves have issues with carbon buildup (cost me $450 to clean at a local indie shop around 60k miles). The clutch in the manual is a little weak if you are going to tune it, mine slips in 6th when using APR stage 1 but is otherwise fine. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better bang for your buck. I don't know much about the A3 other than you will likely be paying more and have a better interior. I'm sure someone else can comment on that.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

DesperateDan posted:

Probably a stupid question, but I'm overdue a full service on the A4, is it worth paying more for Audi servicing (the last few have not been), or just use my trusted place? The last 3 services under the previous owner were just a generic garage, and I don't think I will ever sell it on.

Trusted garage all the way (assuming they're learned in the ways of VAG). IMO only service a car at the dealer when it's under warranty.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Friend has a 98 Jetta TDI that died on him yesterday, and we spend some time this morning playing with it. Battery is good, it gets accessory power, but won't turn any further to turn on the ecu to pull codes. Our initial instinct is the ignition key assembly, but does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions before he starts to tear it apart?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
TSI engines are the devil. Driving very relaxed, they're fuel efficient, but oh if you get the turbo spinning, it'll suck your fuel tank empty in no time flat. The newest TSI engines that'll come with the Mk7 have the turbo integrated in the manifold, so it engages sooner and faster, essentially being worse at fuel economy, if you've a "dynamic" driving style. But these designs are a result of the EU's insane fuel consumption testing protocols.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willroc7 posted:

I have one that I really like. If you can, try to get a 2008.5 or 2009, as they switched to the newer TSI engine that is in the Mk6. This fixes a lot of the common problems with the FSI in the earlier models. They are not without their faults, however. The coil packs have a habit of going out every 50-60k ($100-150 fix), and like many DI engines, the intake valves have issues with carbon buildup (cost me $450 to clean at a local indie shop around 60k miles). The clutch in the manual is a little weak if you are going to tune it, mine slips in 6th when using APR stage 1 but is otherwise fine. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better bang for your buck. I don't know much about the A3 other than you will likely be paying more and have a better interior. I'm sure someone else can comment on that.

Out of curiosity, what do you suggest for the clutch? I have a 2010 GTI with an APR Stage 1 tune that I bought used with 30k miles on it and the clutch slips in 6th-3rd when I have it in the tuned mode. I'm fine in stock mode, so that's where it stays since I just use the car for commuting.

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.

Styles Bitchley posted:

What car and are you modded at all? People are putting R8 coils in some of the 2.0T engines, with some claims they are actually different/better.

They really are better. I was just at HS Tuning yesterday (regular maintenance and cam follower replacement because I'm lazy and their pricing is good enough to be worth not doing it myself) and got into a good conversation with the owner there about the R8 coils among other things.

Testing them with an oscilloscope and test rig (so an ideal environment) the R8 coils are reliable a solid 5k rpms higher than the stock coils. They contain more copper and despite these things they are somehow significantly cheaper to buy. There is literally no reason to not buy the R8 coils, and people aren't just buying them because their caps are red (which is the joke that I made that lead to the conversation.)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Any chance the coil packs will fix (what I think is) my 2.0T's gentle misfiring on occasion, or is that probably carbon-buildup?

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.
If the coil packs are the issue, and legitimately failing or simply unhappy with your tune, then yes it will fix the misfiring. They should be considered a cheap required supporting upgrade for your software anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Combat Pretzel posted:

But these designs are a result of the EU's insane fuel consumption testing protocols.

And as far as getting a good number to stick on the spec sheet it works great. In the real world not so much, especially with the little 1.2

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you suggest for the clutch? I have a 2010 GTI with an APR Stage 1 tune that I bought used with 30k miles on it and the clutch slips in 6th-3rd when I have it in the tuned mode. I'm fine in stock mode, so that's where it stays since I just use the car for commuting.
I've kept my stock clutch and have been using APR's 91 octane program. It drops the torque a bit from 93 so unless I floor it in 6th in cold conditions, it's fine. It's still a huge difference from stock. I've read good things about HS tuning's RSR clutch kit, which should be good all the way up to K04 power. It's about a grand.

If you have access to vac-com or a scanner, check the codes from your misfires. If they are on a specific cylinder, move the coils around and see if the misfire follows. Misfires could come from the plugs, coils, carbon buildup, or injectors, but the coils are the easiest and cheapest to fix. Try that first.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

dissss posted:

And as far as getting a good number to stick on the spec sheet it works great. In the real world not so much, especially with the little 1.2
Rumor is that the protocol gets overhauled, and the emulated driver profile gets a little more dynamic and doesn't pretend everyone drives at near idle RPM and things like that. The problem seems to be that the expected consumption values won't get adjusted upwards however, forcing engine manufacturers to get even more creative.

The result is likely a fleet of cars with complete poo poo engines to offset the carbon footprint of the better ones, which probably get more expensive than necessary as a disincentive, to push people buying the poo poo underpowered ones. Like that they can continue offset the carbon emissions from Porsche and Lamborghini, to get into whatever per car emission averages the EU set up. This is already the reason why there isn't a 1.8T anymore for the Mk7 Golf, to push the average down.

420Chris
Jan 1, 2005
love weed.

Residency Evil posted:

Any chance the coil packs will fix (what I think is) my 2.0T's gentle misfiring on occasion, or is that probably carbon-buildup?

Coils usually cause what is called a dead hole, a cylinder that always misfires. carbon misfires are usually sporadic, and happen more when first starting the engine, and yes they also happen on 2.0s all the time, even the new ccta and cbfa engines. Why they occur under cold starts and low load is that what happens isn't the valve gets stuck from the carbon, but the intake ports literally clog with carbon sludge in the rear area of the valve, and when the intake manifold changeover ports are closed, the engine literally starves for air because it can't enter the cylinder.

There is a new fuel additive your dealer sells for around 20 dollars, but it is believed there is no preventable fix for it, and every 2.0 engine will need to be hand scraped after 60k or so. That is literally the only way to remove all that black goo.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

FWIW I had the carbon cleaning (by hand, scraping) done at 60k and it made a world of difference at idle. They were incredibly dirty. If you look back and my old posts in this thread from a year ago, I posted somepics. It should be part of scheduled maintenance.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

420Chris posted:

Coils usually cause what is called a dead hole, a cylinder that always misfires. carbon misfires are usually sporadic, and happen more when first starting the engine, and yes they also happen on 2.0s all the time, even the new ccta and cbfa engines. Why they occur under cold starts and low load is that what happens isn't the valve gets stuck from the carbon, but the intake ports literally clog with carbon sludge in the rear area of the valve, and when the intake manifold changeover ports are closed, the engine literally starves for air because it can't enter the cylinder.

There is a new fuel additive your dealer sells for around 20 dollars, but it is believed there is no preventable fix for it, and every 2.0 engine will need to be hand scraped after 60k or so. That is literally the only way to remove all that black goo.

Mine's not throwing any codes yet but I can definitely feel it at idle, especially in the cold. It has just over 40k miles on it and I don't drive much, so I'm hoping I can hold off for another 2-3 years.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It's been discussed in this thread, but if you can find a place that'll do walnut blasting, it's about as effective with a lot less labor cost. It sounds silly but that's BMW's recommended solution to the same problem.

If you do almost all city driving, a high-speed highway run as an Italian tuneup can make a big diff, too. Internet says the bigger VAG DI engines actively raise their temps during long highway runs as a 'cleaning mode', but I've never found confirmation the 2.0t does this. Regardless, I took my city car up north of 70 MPH for two or three hours and it ran noticeably better afterwards.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

devmd01 posted:

Friend has a 98 Jetta TDI that died on him yesterday, and we spend some time this morning playing with it. Battery is good, it gets accessory power, but won't turn any further to turn on the ecu to pull codes. Our initial instinct is the ignition key assembly, but does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions before he starts to tear it apart?

This turned out to be the ignition cylinder.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

My wife is cracked out on VW's and is looking at CC's. What common problems, aside from VW electrical gremlins, do these tend to have or are they too new to tell yet?

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Styles Bitchley posted:

Jetta 2.0T. I put on a CAI simply because I was sick of dealing with the engine cover (and actually cracked the hell out of it the last time I took it off), and have REVO stage 1 software.

Also,

trouser chili posted:

I think you mean in Jan 2014 you had to replace 2&3 coils again under warranty.

eh? no, it was 1 & 4 again and they were out of warranty.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Kashwashwa posted:

eh? no, it was 1 & 4 again and they were out of warranty.

Think about it

:ssh:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Would the R8 coil packs fix the rough idle I get from time to time in my TDI?

:ssh: it is a joke.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Kashwashwa posted:

Jetta 2.0T...REVO stage 1 software.

Yes yes replace your coilpacks with R8 ones.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Think about it

:ssh:

Hm, quite... you are right.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4319369158.html

On a scale of "why haven't you bought it yet" to "run away screaming", where does this rank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

That's higher than the perfect condition KBB private party value and for good reason. 11 year old Audis with unknown past maintenance histories over 100k miles = $$$$