Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

RacistGuidingLight posted:

What do you mean? How did they fail to play the game, or what? And who specifically?

I listed Slater, McIntyre and Ryder but I'm sure there are other guys on the current roster who looked like they would be potential future stars but now languish on Superstars getting jobbed out. Justin Gabriel and Tyson Kidd come to mind too I suppose. I never saw these guys when they were coming up. What happened with their careers that they are now comedy jobbers at best instead of on the up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bigass Moth posted:

Justin Gabriel and Tyson Kidd come to mind too I suppose.

That's a good question, because International Airstrike is awesome, and if nothing else, they'd make Real Americans/The Brotherhood/PTP look like a million bucks and give us fun matches.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Bigass Moth posted:

I listed Slater, McIntyre and Ryder but I'm sure there are other guys on the current roster who looked like they would be potential future stars but now languish on Superstars getting jobbed out. Justin Gabriel and Tyson Kidd come to mind too I suppose. I never saw these guys when they were coming up. What happened with their careers that they are now comedy jobbers at best instead of on the up?

Slater's in the right role. McIntyre, you can probably write a short book on his career, but they thought he was going to be a huge star and then he got a series of unfortunate breaks, never recovered from the stop/starts, and is now pigeonholed as a dork, kinda like Chris Masters was. Ryder got systematically deconstructed and buried for getting himself over outside the confines of what they wanted. Gabriel is to me one of their big missed opportunities because he showed something and got over as a near the top heel in Nexus, but they never bought into him individually and he's just kind of backslid over the next 3 1/2 years. Kidd never had a chance to be more than he is.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Do you think Seth Rollins is on the same trajectory as Gabriel? Once the Shield implodes I see him as the obvious odd-man out since he's the smallest.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bigass Moth posted:

Slater and Gabriel won the spot on the card lottery that was The Nexus and were good enough that they're still there. Never any real plans to push them.

McIntyre was supposed to eventually be some hot poo poo, but his chosen one gimmick was absolute rear end, maybe in part of him trying to bury his accent, and also a never ending feud with an out of shape Matt Hardy who was trying to get fired. Also he was part of a domestic assault and Vince was rumored to have lost faith in him. He was the victim of the assault by the way.

Ryder made the most of his gimmick in ECW and it was fun for a while until they started taking him too seriously and then ECW ended and he got lost in the shuffle among a bunch of established talent, (with more coming). He feuded with Ashton Kutcher resulting in Alisha Fox kicking his rear end. He then got a twitter back when it was novel to and a popular Youtube show. People got behind him, and then WWE used him. Poorly. Intentionally poorly, cuz they probably saw a roof on what being internet famous would get you, but in the mean time they wrapped John Cena with him to get people more sympathetic, and Kane killed him a bunch. They dropped that completely for Wrestlemania, cuz Cena was scheduled to fight The Rock a year ago. He's a little justified for his bitterness but drat is his whining insufferable.

I don't see what you see in Tyson Kidd, and they only really use him in relation to Brett Hart.

RacistGuidingLight fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 28, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The peak of McIntyre's career was that Elimination Chamber where he looked like a loving monster for a few minutes.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Bigass Moth posted:

Do you think Seth Rollins is on the same trajectory as Gabriel? Once the Shield implodes I see him as the obvious odd-man out since he's the smallest.

I'd be surprised if Rollins cratered that bad, Rollins is a way better talker than Gabriel which is I'd guess they depushed Gabriel. But I'd have been surprised if in mid-2010 you told me how Gabriel's career would unfold.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

The peak of McIntyre's career was that Elimination Chamber where he looked like a loving monster for a few minutes.
He legitimately seemed like he was trying to kill everyone involved including himself. It was great.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I feel like Rollins has a Jeff Hardy ceiling and a Matt Hardy floor in that he'd be a reliable hand always looked at as the lesser part of a past unit.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

sportsgenius86 posted:

I feel like Rollins has a Jeff Hardy ceiling and a Matt Hardy floor in that he'd be a reliable hand always looked at as the lesser part of a past unit.

A few years ago it looked like Jeff had no ceiling. A better analogy would be a Matt Hardy ceiling and a Jeff Hardy floor, in that he'll never get to the top but there will always be work for him.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

The Shield have already been handled a hundred times better than Nexus so I don't really think the comparison is apt. Even if the breakup ends up really bungled. Also Rollins has had a lot of support, even going back to his FCW/NXT days.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I feel REALLY lovely for asking my question about OTE99, but my original reason for asking it was due to the "EVERY PPV EVER" being trumpeted in the advertisements.

Personally, I'm hoping to find the Superstars of Wrestling episode that featured Dino Bravo doing an airplane spin (which I've only seen in the movie Encino Man) when the catalog becomes available.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
If they do put Over the Edge 99 on the Network, which I hope does not happen, I implore anyone curious not to watch it. It's not a good PPV with good matches, and it's heartbreaking to watch.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Batista posted:

If they do put Over the Edge 99 on the Network, which I hope does not happen, I implore anyone curious not to watch it. It's not a good PPV with good matches, and it's heartbreaking to watch.

Yeah, there's not even any good matches on the show anyway, so there's no reason to actually watch it. The only notable thing that happened was Austin losing the title to Taker in a fairly crap match. With that information, no-one needs to see it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I literally don't think I've ever heard Justin Gabriel speak. Like, Kofi has more mic time than him and Kofi hasn't said anything since that feud where Orton killed him.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Red posted:

That's a good question, because International Airstrike is awesome, and if nothing else, they'd make Real Americans/The Brotherhood/PTP look like a million bucks and give us fun matches.

I really want both International Airstrike and Air Boom to come back. None of those four are doing anything notable otherwise, so why wouldn't they? Tag teams are really the place to be for guys they have no plans on pushing otherwise nowadays, and they tend to give tag matches a lot more time recently, especially on Smackdown. I guess the only issue there is that there are too many, but it looks like they might be breaking up a couple anyway.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

DeathChicken posted:

I literally don't think I've ever heard Justin Gabriel speak. Like, Kofi has more mic time than him and Kofi hasn't said anything since that feud where Orton killed him.

He kind of sounds like he has a mouthful of marbles because of his South African accent, but they're smaller marbles than the ones Heath Slater is normally chewing on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Kofi hasn't said anything since that feud where Orton killed him.
"Boom, Boom, Boom.' - Kingston, Kofi, 2010-2014

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

He kind of sounds like he has a mouthful of marbles because of his South African accent, but they're smaller marbles than the ones Heath Slater is normally chewing on.

Heath Slater's hickadoola mush mouth is far more useful tho.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Heath Slater's hickadoola mush mouth is far more useful tho.

If Heath has such a mush mouth, then why did he get his own band?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

:confused: I may need to hear an example of this, because he's always sounded fine to me - but then I hadn't followed him too closely. Did he put on a fake accent or something?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Red posted:

Real Americans/The Brotherhood

I'm trying to catch up on WWE. Please confirm to me that aong with the racist Tea Party tag team they don't also have an Aryan tag team? Because I'm suddenly imagining Sheamus and Justin Gabriel in the worst way. Even worse I'm imagining six months later when fans have gotten over their outrage and are cheering them.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Writer Cath posted:

If Heath has such a mush mouth, then why did he get his own band?

Having a mush mouth didn't stop Kurt Cobain.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm trying to catch up on WWE. Please confirm to me that aong with the racist Tea Party tag team they don't also have an Aryan tag team? Because I'm suddenly imagining Sheamus and Justin Gabriel in the worst way. Even worse I'm imagining six months later when fans have gotten over their outrage and are cheering them.

The Brotherhood is just the name of the Cody Rhodes/Goldust tag team. I personally preferred Co-Rhodes, but hey.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
What's the full story, if any, behind the formation of Evolution? Did they just go, "Hey let's start a group to cultivate the two guys we'll make the centre of the company for the next two decades, give or take?" Given the events of the Rumble it's amazing how much stock management, or whoever, still places in Orton and Batista and I'm pretty sure it was all seeded in 2002.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

So when they say every PPV will be available on WWE Network, do they mean that it'll be like Netflix where you can pick a PPV to watch anytime, or go they mean "available" as in they'll be showing them on a rotating basis and all are available?

I probably worded that poorly but hopefully the question is clear enough.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jetfire posted:

What's the full story, if any, behind the formation of Evolution? Did they just go, "Hey let's start a group to cultivate the two guys we'll make the centre of the company for the next two decades, give or take?" Given the events of the Rumble it's amazing how much stock management, or whoever, still places in Orton and Batista and I'm pretty sure it was all seeded in 2002.

I don't know the full story, but it was originally supposed to be Mark Jindrak in Batista's place. I don't think they saw Batista as one of their top guys until he started getting huge crowd reactions after Evolution had already been around for a while.

IllegallySober posted:

So when they say every PPV will be available on WWE Network, do they mean that it'll be like Netflix where you can pick a PPV to watch anytime, or go they mean "available" as in they'll be showing them on a rotating basis and all are available?

I probably worded that poorly but hopefully the question is clear enough.

All past PPVs will be available on demand, new PPVs will stream live.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jetfire posted:

That, plus Hunter really, really wants to be Flair, so he made his own version of the Horsemen, with Ric as a weird combo of Tully and JJ.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jetfire posted:

Flair was already an on screen mentor to Batista on Smackdown if I remember correctly. It seemed pretty obvious it was Triple H wanting to form his own Four Horsemen with Flair. Batista was already in position to be #3 and Orton caught the break as #4 after an apparent Jindrak flameout.

As for them booking the company around those two for the next decade I'd chalk it up to it being one of the last times a couple of young guys got protected pushes and solid booking in WWE.

Red posted:

The Brotherhood is just the name of the Cody Rhodes/Goldust tag team. I personally preferred Co-Rhodes, but hey.

Is that official? Because that's a really, really, really, bad name. Then again I've seen Sheamus's merchandise so I could believe it. Here I was just calling them The Rhodes.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I thought the name was the Rhodes Dynasty?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Is that official? Because that's a really, really, really, bad name. Then again I've seen Sheamus's merchandise so I could believe it. Here I was just calling them The Rhodes.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I thought the name was the Rhodes Dynasty?

They've been referred to on-screen and on WWE.com as 'The Brotherhood' for a little while now: http://www.wwe.com/videos/the-brotherhood-talks-about-their-successful-title-defense-at-wwe-tlc-wwecom-exc-26170561

They even have a t-shirt with the name on it: http://shop.wwe.com/Goldust-Cody-Rh...19&cgid=tshirts

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gaz-L posted:

That, plus Hunter really, really wants to be Flair, so he made his own version of the Horsemen, with Ric as a weird combo of Tully and JJ.

Hang on, who's the Arn Anderson in this scenario?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Memento posted:

HHH, obviously. He was also a little bit Tully, and little bit JJ, and a little bit Windham. Basically, HHH was The Four Horsemen, he just needed three other dudes.

Orton and Batista were Luger.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Memento posted:

Batista.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I see the spinebuster thing, but the bald thing didn't happen until later, and really, that was by choice.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arn was the Enforcer, which was Batista's natural role.

Red posted:

They've been referred to on-screen and on WWE.com as 'The Brotherhood' for a little while now: http://www.wwe.com/videos/the-brotherhood-talks-about-their-successful-title-defense-at-wwe-tlc-wwecom-exc-26170561

They even have a t-shirt with the name on it: http://shop.wwe.com/Goldust-Cody-Rh...19&cgid=tshirts

Between that and Sheamus I'm starting to wonder if WWE isn't actively trying to steer some of its merch towards White Power folk. I bet there's some Real American gear and some Triple H iron crosses they'd love to wear "ironically" too.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Flair was already an on screen mentor to Batista on Smackdown if I remember correctly. It seemed pretty obvious it was Triple H wanting to form his own Four Horsemen with Flair. Batista was already in position to be #3 and Orton caught the break as #4 after an apparent Jindrak flameout.

As for them booking the company around those two for the next decade I'd chalk it up to it being one of the last times a couple of young guys got protected pushes and solid booking in WWE.

I just find it fascinating that other than Cena, Orton and Batista are always shot up to "this is the #1 thing to pay attention to" whenever either of them are on television, even after a long hiatus like Batista's. Even Sheamus didn't really enjoy the same kind of protection - or at least, it's a much less blatant form of it. (I think Sheamus is awesome though so I might not be the first person to ask)

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Diabolik900 posted:

I don't know the full story, but it was originally supposed to be Mark Jindrak in Batista's place. I don't think they saw Batista as one of their top guys until he started getting huge crowd reactions after Evolution had already been around for a while.

What was really weird was that period of time where they were allegedly priming Jindrak for a position in Evolution even after Batista had joined, then Jindrak was pulled again, and then they spent like two weeks hinting that Maven was going to join the group.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The company was extremely high on Orton from day 1.

Lost in the fact that Orton has constantly been on top for many years is that they initially bungled his initial big main event run, and probably did long term damage in the process.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Orton is a big clue that WWE wrestling is not a meritocracy. While he's very good and has an excellent physique, there are so many things he's done that in the case of guys they don't care about would just be used as an excuse to de-push and cut them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Arn was the Enforcer, which was Batista's natural role.

Yep. Orton is Windham, tall dude with a dad in the business who held the secondary belt dominantly. Ric is Tully in that he was the guy with a similar gimmick to the leader who got stuck in a tag team with the enforcer, and JJ as the elder statesman/manager who probably isn't needed to talk for the main guy, but does anyway.