Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Are you sure you havent equipped anything with your monks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

What I'm getting from this is "don't play this game on hard if you don't want to burn yourself out grinding to the level cap halfway through the game." :stare:

The difficulty level is all over the place in my experience no matter what mode you choose, the only consistent thing I've found is that easy is just so easy you may as well not even bother playing. All of the hard bits of the game can be overcome by grinding levels though, and you can just auto-battle everything with +100% encounter rate if you're so inclined, but that then leads right back to why bother playing.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

93tu posted:

The difficulty level is all over the place in my experience no matter what mode you choose, the only consistent thing I've found is that easy is just so easy you may as well not even bother playing. All of the hard bits of the game can be overcome by grinding levels though, and you can just auto-battle everything with +100% encounter rate if you're so inclined, but that then leads right back to why bother playing.

Not really.
Obviously grinding makes the game easier (duh), but you will definitely need some kind of strategy for most boss fights.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I recall Samael saying that the end game is balanced around you being level 99 and mastered jobs. He's on Hard like me though.

My dudes are all level 90 and maxed in 2/3rds of all jobs with the best gear up to this point but I'll wipe to chapter 5/6 mooks if I get unlucky with an ambush on some mobs with good attacks. It only takes 2 Rukh's to use Tornado and for one of them to crit on a dude once to put him into danger or KO state.

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.

Kin posted:

Ok, i think i'm playing this wrong. I've got the game set on normal but am getting my arse kicked in that dungeon right after you get the 3rd party member at the beginning.

The enemies just hit me for about 25%-50% of my health and when the pig like creatures get one of their leader types increasing their attack it just makes it worse, especially when they seem to get +1 Braves somewhat regularly.

Should i have gone somewhere else to grind first or is this part just unnaturally hard?

Have you ablinked your characters yet?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Kin posted:

Well i've only got the 3 jobs, freelancer, white mage and Monk.

The white mage is essential and i have white magic on everybody, but i'm also lacking in cash to buy any equipment. I just feel like my stats are ridiculously low because while i'm only doing individual attacks of about 25 or less they're hitting me with 50-150.

By "have white magic on everyone" do you mean it's the primary job on everyone? Because that would be a bad idea, two monks would kill everything a lot faster and would also have more HP than white mages.

If not and you're still having trouble, try guarding for a few turns to reduce the damage you're taking, then use the saved up BP to heal up and do as much damage as you can in one turn. Especially if the enemy got +1 BP at the start of the fight. Once you've gained a few levels you should be able to start playing less conservatively.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Darth Hanbidge posted:

Have you ablinked your characters yet?

No Ablinks yet, i just got a 3DS, i have no friends :(

Suaimhneas posted:

By "have white magic on everyone" do you mean it's the primary job on everyone? Because that would be a bad idea, two monks would kill everything a lot faster and would also have more HP than white mages.

If not and you're still having trouble, try guarding for a few turns to reduce the damage you're taking, then use the saved up BP to heal up and do as much damage as you can in one turn. Especially if the enemy got +1 BP at the start of the fight. Once you've gained a few levels you should be able to start playing less conservatively.

Nah, I have it set as one of the commands (rather than the main job). Following your advice I've now got 2 monks and a white mage, all are now fully equipped (the third guy had almost nothing for armor) and I'm just grinding up cash to buy blinda because of those damned Cait Siths.

This set-up seems to be doing alright although i think i'm going to grind in the dungeon entrance with 100% encounters until I'm about level 10 or so. I've just turned level 6 for all 3 characters and, like i said, they feel a little weak for the enemies I'm fighting, especially if they get a lucky upper hand in the form of a brave boost.

edit: Just figured out what i was doing wrong. My monks were fast enough to attack first, so if i just started by braving 4 times with them, they attacked 4 times each and killed everything before they got a chance to act.

I assume that tactic doesn't work all the way through the game for non boss enemies?

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 27, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Kin posted:

edit: Just figured out what i was doing wrong. My monks were fast enough to attack first, so if i just started by braving 4 times with them, they attacked 4 times each and killed everything before they got a chance to act.

I assume that tactic doesn't work all the way through the game for non boss enemies?

Oh you'll be doing that a lot, it's recommended since you get bonus exp for finishing a fight in one turn, and bonus JP for taking no damage. It's just reckless to try it on enemies you haven't seen before, since if you don't kill them outright then you're stuck being unable to do anything until you're back up to 0 BP. Once you're sure you can take enemies out that way, go nuts.

Also, a protip while you're still in the early part of the game: the freelancer job isn't very good in combat until the endgame, but it does get some useful abilities. I recommend getting someone up to level 4 in it before the second continent, it'll make your life easier.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Are the bonus costumes worth playing the game through on hard? How brutal even is hard?

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.

Kin posted:

No Ablinks yet, i just got a 3DS, i have no friends :(

I'm on 0533-4673-5295, if you wanna add me.

HappyCrab
Jul 22, 2008

Darth Hanbidge posted:

Mind if I add you too?

2492-5542-7963

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is there any in game benefit to buying the collector's edition?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Do you want the Collector's Items that are included? Then yes, there is.

Do you feel like its a waste of money to pay more for those items? Then no, probably not.

If you're asking if there is an in-game bonus, I do not believe so. If there is a costume you probably get it for pre-ordering.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I didn't see anything about in game rewards, so I was curious if I was missing something. Like a special job or costume or something. The physical bonuses I can do without, thanks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's no exclusive game content in the CE.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The only thing close to in-game stuff is the full deck of AR cards, and you can find scans of them pretty easily.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hopefully getting this tonight.

Four White Mages? It'll never work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Challenge accepted. I have to wait until next week though.

Maista
Sep 11, 2004
Does this smell like chloroform to you?
College Slice

Darth Hanbidge posted:

HappyCrab posted:

Mind if I add you too?

2492-5542-7963

Added you guys so I can can get some Ablinks going, add me back at 3480-2983-9136 and we can all experience the power of friendship!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Hopefully getting this tonight.

Are limit breaks allowed?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Max, The Great posted:

Added you guys so I can can get some Ablinks going, add me back at 3480-2983-9136 and we can all experience the power of friendship!

Mine is 2423-3814-4667 if you want to add me back.

GreenDream
Jun 2, 2003

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?
I brought a full complement of villagers across from the demo but more are always welcome! I'm 1392 5520 9153

Working my way backwards through the thread and adding you all now.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I'm a bit late getting into this demo, but so far it's great. It's a little overwhelming how many options you have with the job/ability system. That's a good thing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Any tips for this Chairman fight? (first subquest).

I've pretty much hit the subquest as soon as it showed up, made it through most if it with relative ease, beat the thief boss without too much difficulty but now this fight is kicking my rear end.

Like, they've both got 6000 and 5000 HP respectively, but my guys only seem to do about 50 damage per attack.

On top of that the chairman has a move that hits for 300.

My guys are about level 15 just now. Should i go off and complete the rest of the main quest in this area before coming back to it or should i level up my characters a little bit more and equip some more appropriate jobs.

At the minute i've got a monk, a white mage, a thief and a knight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can't stop Takeovers damage from being 300. It bypasses Default. He can brave it to do it twice (at least on Hard) so you probably want 600+ HP on one character at least. Ideally you want it so your healer can survive a single turn of braved Takeover. Khint will leave after a certain damage threshold on the Merchant. Don't attack Khint, its a waste of time.

Consider a Black Mage, it should hit well over 50 with the latest available Rod and steal their items.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
As the game's not out for a week and a bit in NA, would anyone care to give their general impressions on the game?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Anatharon posted:

As the game's not out for a week and a bit in NA, would anyone care to give their general impressions on the game?

Do You like Final Fantasy?

Do you like a solidly built Final Fantasy (with progressive game mechanics)?

If yes, buy this game.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Kin posted:

Any tips for this Chairman fight? (first subquest).

I've pretty much hit the subquest as soon as it showed up, made it through most if it with relative ease, beat the thief boss without too much difficulty but now this fight is kicking my rear end.

Like, they've both got 6000 and 5000 HP respectively, but my guys only seem to do about 50 damage per attack.

On top of that the chairman has a move that hits for 300.

My guys are about level 15 just now. Should i go off and complete the rest of the main quest in this area before coming back to it or should i level up my characters a little bit more and equip some more appropriate jobs.

At the minute i've got a monk, a white mage, a thief and a knight.

You can try getting Damage Dispersion from black mage on everyone, that should change a braved Takeover from potentially 600 damage on one person, to a more manageable 150 damage on everyone. Alternatively, come back when everyone has over 600 HP, which is what I did. :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kin posted:

Do You like Final Fantasy?

Do you like a solidly built Final Fantasy (with progressive game mechanics)?

If yes, buy this game.

The last half of the game is quite stagnant and detracts from the experience a fair bit, but the above is also true.
I really enjoy this game, but I think its only fair to mention its biggest and considerable downside. You can burn straight through to the end though by this point if you want to.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Also, ignore the Spell Fencer and focus on the Merchant. If you get him down to about half his HP, the Spell Fencer will leave.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Anatharon posted:

Did you like FF5? It's FF5-2.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I really enjoyed it, but the gameplay is carrying the whole thing. The story is okay but not great, the second half of the game is very repetitive and there's barely any side content apart from the Norende rebuilding. Yet the job system hooked me enough that I can overlook all the other flaws.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Lant posted:

Did you like FF5? It's FF5-2.

I dont think this game really deserves that. It's good but it literally falls apart after chapter 4. FF 5 just kept getting better. :(

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

I dont think this game really deserves that. It's good but it literally falls apart after chapter 4. FF 5 just kept getting better. :(

Maybe I'll borrow it or get it second hand, then.

dinnerrollofdoom
Jan 30, 2014
I haven't looked very much into this game yet, I was wondering if there going to be any type of multiplayer?

I have always been a fan of these types of games, I still pick up Shining force 1 and 2 every now and then to get in my "fix"

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

dinnerrollofdoom posted:

I haven't looked very much into this game yet, I was wondering if there going to be any type of multiplayer?

I have always been a fan of these types of games, I still pick up Shining force 1 and 2 every now and then to get in my "fix"

Doesn't seem like it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

dinnerrollofdoom posted:

No multiplayer, you can add friends that help you out ingame but that's it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I finally got my copy yesterday. Remind me in future not to bother waiting to see if I get a game for Christmas. :v:

I've only played for about an hour and still only have Tiz and Agnes (and no jobs other than Freelancer :(), I'm glad I played the demo to completion because I'm stacked with gear. :getin: Oh, I just unlocked Norende too, so I get to rebuild it. Again. :negative:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Anatharon posted:

I am only on chapter 4 and people say it gets bad soon, that being said this might be my favourite final fantasy game. The battle system is in my opinion the best RPG combat going, and on normal mode at least you can use almost any combo of classes you like the look of if you set it up right. Constantly getting new jobs to play with and trying to figure out synergies between new and old jobs is really fun.

The story is simple but the characters are likable enough and the art has been consistently great so far. So far (35 hours in but I have messed around a lot) this is the best RPG I have played in years. I am worried about the second half of the game after reading what people have said about it in this thread though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

I said come in! posted:

Challenge accepted. I have to wait until next week though.

I was making an 8 Bit Theatre reference, but if you're going to actually do this, awesome!

So I've just got the game and the combat system already seems pretty fun.

It's nice that the first boss fight has some strategy to it beyond hit dudes until they break.

• Locked thread