Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
All 3 monitors are hooked up to gpu1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Apparently nVidia has a program called nview for better multi-monitor window management, but have stopped including it in Geforce drivers and now only have it in Quadro drivers because who knows.

There are a couple pages about getting it to install anyway, but they're all pretty outdated. Has anyone been able to install it with recent drivers and Windows 8.1?

ninjagrips
Mar 19, 2007

Duro posted:

I'm waiting for a callback now. I'm gonna tell them off but probably accept the shipment as is. I just want it to at least be noted that I never actually ok'ed this particular card in case I ever have problems, and I'm hoping they do something for me but I have a feeling it's one of those companies that doesn't give a poo poo about its clients or making things right.

The only reason I didn't cancel my order is because I got most of my parts discounted by a decent amount, and probably saved like 300$ on my entire order.

So, as things stand, I have a Sapphire r9 270x BF4 Edition, whatever that means. I can't find one decent review or benchmark on this card using google. Hopefully it's ok. Other Sapphire cards seemed to benchmark lower than the competition, and ran hotter, which is the main reason I'm disappointed in the whole situation

I really wouldn't sweat it, man. It's an R9 270x, it's gonna have very similar benches as the other R9 270x's. I have the exact card that they're sending you, and it's running like a champ.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ninjagrips posted:

I really wouldn't sweat it, man. It's an R9 270x, it's gonna have very similar benches as the other R9 270x's. I have the exact card that they're sending you, and it's running like a champ.

Thanks for the reassuring words. I ended up having that same realization once I found out I was getting it. Now I just can't wait to get this thing, I haven't had a gaming pc in nearly a decade

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
With my old 7950, I always used RadeonPro to force SMAA into games. Is there a similar nVidia tool? All I see on the nVidia control panel is FXAA. I don't like expensive AA :(

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

So Agreed, you thought your 780 was good, eh?

My friend (I built his computer) sent me that. It is a ASUS 780 CuII, stock BIOS. That is only the clocks not taking boost into account too, while benchmarking it does 1400+.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I'd like to ask a favour of users with fancy GPUs and Safari or Chrome/Chromium, I'm trying to debug a really basic animation for a quote & new ticker for NYSE that is built using Chrome (Windows) and Chromium (Linux). We are seeing a level of "jank" across a wide variety of GPUs and motherboard combinations and is a bit messed up. All you have to do is:

1) Bring up chrome://flags and enable the FPS counter:

2) Hit the relaunch button.

3) Visit: CSS3 Marquee page, scroll to the right until you see something moving and note the FPS counter performance over a few seconds.

4) Kindly record your results here: Webkit janky form.

Example janky performance with CPU-only animation:

You can compare without GPU acceleration for interest.

On the last two revisions of Chrome 32 the only stable configuration we have seen is Windows without GPU acceleration on 1-3 monitors. I see the same 59-60fps blip on hardware ranging from Intel Ironlake to SLI AMD W600's.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

BurritoJustice posted:

So Agreed, you thought your 780 was good, eh?

My friend (I built his computer) sent me that. It is a ASUS 780 CuII, stock BIOS. That is only the clocks not taking boost into account too, while benchmarking it does 1400+.

What a dumb callout post :lol:

I'm glad your friend has a high performing card, that's very good for him!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Agreed posted:

What a dumb callout post :lol:

I'm glad your friend has a high performing card, that's very good for him!

Nothing against you haha :)

Your's was just the past 780 that overclocked quite well in this thread, off the top of my head. I thought it was worth posting because 1400+ is pretty crazy on stock air cooling.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

With my old 7950, I always used RadeonPro to force SMAA into games. Is there a similar nVidia tool? All I see on the nVidia control panel is FXAA. I don't like expensive AA :(

FXAA is not expensive at all. Anyway, Radeon Pro was using SweetFX. NVIDIA cards cannot inject into 64bit executables, though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

Nothing against you haha :)

Your's was just the past 780 that overclocked quite well in this thread, off the top of my head. I thought it was worth posting because 1400+ is pretty crazy on stock air cooling.

Dogen said and I believe him that Asus won the GK110 cooling crown when they introduced the DCUII hybrid blower/axial cooler, and didn't they also do some fairly comprehensive additional power delivery stuff? What kind of voltage does the card run when it's hitting 1400MHz+, and how validated is the OC? That's getting pretty far outside the nominal performance of the chip, and while I'm sure it posts good numbers, the combination of surprisingly good fault tolerance on graphics cards vs. computers plus the lack of any really good validation tools always makes me a little wary of the really big numbers overclocks - seems like there's always going to be a trade off somewhere, usually with something like that probably in terms of the life of the chip and of course how much power it's actually using at max clock rate.

I was talking to Professor Science and he mentioned very briefly the idea that it'd be pretty straightforward to design a stress test basically just to gently caress with overclocks and show how unstable they are for anything that requires more acuity than "my eyes don't spot any artifacts, good to go!" - fault tolerance is a little bit of a double edged sword in that regard. But so long as you understand the risks of running something that far out of specification and don't need super stability (after all, a pixel that isn't rendered correctly in a single frame at 60fps+ isn't going to be noticed by the vast majority of people), I guess go hog wild with the ultra OCs.

It looks like he's already doing the smartest thing, which is just to leave the GDDR5 alone. Not only does it free up power for everything else, GDDR5 is just kinda bad. If anyone has a high VRAM overclock, it's probably not really stable. It might work fine in games, but... Well, lack of proper validation for overclocking is what it is. And most people just use these things to play games anyway, so not a big deal. But I hope he's not, I dunno, folding in his GPU's off time with a CUDA client or whatever, because intensive GPGPU is where the instabilities that might only visibly present themselves in extreme edge cases in games instead crop up really regularly.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

GrizzlyCow posted:

FXAA is not expensive at all. Anyway, Radeon Pro was using SweetFX. NVIDIA cards cannot inject into 64bit executables, though.

Are you sure about that? I was unaware that nVidia's FXAA was incompatible with 64-bit binaries. I'm having trouble finding anything quick on google, too, but if you've got a source on that I would appreciate it. It doesn't make sense that a post-processing AA method that can be applied globally to a 64-bit OS and show up in some undesired places unless configured explicitly within that 64-bit OS would somehow not work with 64-bit games. Stranger things have happened, I guess, but that doesn't sound right, I would appreciate a solid source for "nVidia's FXAA injection doesn't work with 64-bit executables."

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah it's a full custom card, more/fancier VRMs, materials, etc.

I think the MSI Lightning might be fancier in terms of power delivery, but they also have special features for LN2 cooling so it's a pretty over the top model.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Agreed posted:

Are you sure about that? I was unaware that nVidia's FXAA was incompatible with 64-bit binaries. I'm having trouble finding anything quick on google, too, but if you've got a source on that I would appreciate it. It doesn't make sense that a post-processing AA method that can be applied globally to a 64-bit OS and show up in some undesired places unless configured explicitly within that 64-bit OS would somehow not work with 64-bit games. Stranger things have happened, I guess, but that doesn't sound right, I would appreciate a solid source for "nVidia's FXAA injection doesn't work with 64-bit executables."

Oops. The first part about FXAA was supposed to be separate from the second part about SweetFX which has the SMAA injector.

I'm sure NVIDIA's FXAA injector works with all 32bit and 64bit programs. It's just SweetFX without RadeonPro that doesn't work with 64-bit games.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

GrizzlyCow posted:

FXAA also looks ugly compared to SMAA. I can live with FXAA, but do not prefer it by any stretch.

Edit: Huh, RadeonPro works with an nVidia card, neat. But nothing works on STALKER: CoP, not the application settings, not the nVidia control panel, not RadeonPro.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 28, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

FXAA also looks ugly compared to SMAA.

Too right.

I wish NVIDIA and AMD drivers came with SMAA built right in as a permanent option, then I'd just disable all other types of AA in new games, and only bump up MSAA in games that get way above 60fps.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

MrMoo posted:

I'd like to ask a favour of users with fancy GPUs and Safari or Chrome/Chromium, I'm trying to debug a really basic animation for a quote & new ticker for NYSE that is built using Chrome (Windows) and Chromium (Linux). We are seeing a level of "jank" across a wide variety of GPUs and motherboard combinations and is a bit messed up.

My results were the same as yours (on a r9 290 flashed to a 290x): 60 fps with a steady pulse to 59 every second. I'm not sure you'd consider that a "flat line" FPS counter, but I went with the most literal interpretation in my answer on the form.

When trying it with Hardware Acceleration turned off, it's a flat 60 fps.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I have a y510p lenovo lappy with an nvidia discrete graphics card. Will this SMAA injector work with WoW?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

FXAA also looks ugly compared to SMAA. I can live with FXAA, but do not prefer it by any stretch.

Edit: Huh, RadeonPro works with an nVidia card, neat. But nothing works on STALKER: CoP, not the application settings, not the nVidia control panel, not RadeonPro.

Straight up 2x2 SSAA forced through inspector works in CoP iirc, but SSAA works for everything D3D. Side comment, it's cool that we're at a point where high end hardware can run CoP, previously one of the more demanding games around, with multiple beautifying mods, even in its DX11 mode for a little tessellation on actors, and still hold onto 60FPS 95% of the time or greater even when using SSAA and transparency supersampling as well (especially with the JS fix that you can find in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. thread in Games applied to stop the stuttering every time it loads some A-Life). xray is a weird engine, but modern hardware rocks it.

Also, are you 100% double trouble extra sure that FXAA doesn't work for CoP when forced via the control panel? The only reason that it shouldn't work if forced through the CP is because the game already uses it and thus flags against it being forced in drivers, but I don't think xray runs any variation of FXAA as part of its post-processing. Sorry to ask for yet another "source please" but that doesn't sound quite right to me.

HalloKitty posted:

Too right.

I wish NVIDIA and AMD drivers came with SMAA built right in as a permanent option, then I'd just disable all other types of AA in new games, and only bump up MSAA in games that get way above 60fps.

I think a big part of it is that nVidia's driver-mode FXAA isn't as aggressively tuned as it could be. It runs great on my old laptop's GTX 540m, not exactly stressing hardware much.

Well, that, and SMAA got a lot more updates after FXAA stopped being updated in any meaningful way that the user can see, and SMAA utilizes some SSAA elements on top of the fancy shader pass, so it just has a lot more going on.

If I had my 'druthers, though, it'd be somehow being able to force TXAA in games. 4x TXAA looks amazing to me, it accomplishes the whole "cinematic AA" thing extremely well, but it definitely has to be built in since it relies on an engine-specific MSAA pass with a few modifications to get its basic information. Though, it not being cross-platform, I guess that's kind of a dick thing to wish for.

I'd also settle for improvements to injected AA algorithms across the board. FXAA got cut off in development, if you'll recall; the next iteration was going to have a mildly higher performance hit but provide visual quality that would EASILY compete with or outperform SMAA's current version, but then Tim Lottes stopped working on it in favor of developing TXAA, and then he moved on in his career. I wish he'd either taken the time or been given the time (I don't know the details of what happened there) to put the finishing touches on that last version of FXAA he was working on, because seriously, it was already looking goddamned amazing and would have made this discussion of "FXAA vs. _____" pretty moot as it would have been able to make any game look a lot like Sleeping Dogs' combination of more aggressive FXAA and SSAA.

No turning back the clock on that one, though. Ah, well.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Yes. The only requisite is that your graphics card support DirectX9 (and above for certain games) and Shader Model 3. Your laptop can use SweetFX. You might want to use RadeonPro instead of just SweetFX by itself since it apparently works with NVIDIA cards.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Agreed posted:

Straight up 2x2 SSAA forced through inspector works in CoP iirc, but SSAA works for everything D3D. Side comment, it's cool that we're at a point where high end hardware can run CoP, previously one of the more demanding games around, with multiple beautifying mods, even in its DX11 mode for a little tessellation on actors, and still hold onto 60FPS 95% of the time or greater even when using SSAA and transparency supersampling as well (especially with the JS fix that you can find in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. thread in Games applied to stop the stuttering every time it loads some A-Life). xray is a weird engine, but modern hardware rocks it.

Also, are you 100% double trouble extra sure that FXAA doesn't work for CoP when forced via the control panel? The only reason that it shouldn't work if forced through the CP is because the game already uses it and thus flags against it being forced in drivers, but I don't think xray runs any variation of FXAA as part of its post-processing. Sorry to ask for yet another "source please" but that doesn't sound quite right to me.

I think a big part of it is that nVidia's driver-mode FXAA isn't as aggressively tuned as it could be. It runs great on my old laptop's GTX 540m, not exactly stressing hardware much.

Well, that, and SMAA got a lot more updates after FXAA stopped being updated in any meaningful way that the user can see, and SMAA utilizes some SSAA elements on top of the fancy shader pass, so it just has a lot more going on.

If I had my 'druthers, though, it'd be somehow being able to force TXAA in games. 4x TXAA looks amazing to me, it accomplishes the whole "cinematic AA" thing extremely well, but it definitely has to be built in since it relies on an engine-specific MSAA pass with a few modifications to get its basic information. Though, it not being cross-platform, I guess that's kind of a dick thing to wish for.

I'd also settle for improvements to injected AA algorithms across the board. FXAA got cut off in development, if you'll recall; the next iteration was going to have a mildly higher performance hit but provide visual quality that would EASILY compete with or outperform SMAA's current version, but then Tim Lottes stopped working on it in favor of developing TXAA, and then he moved on in his career. I wish he'd either taken the time or been given the time (I don't know the details of what happened there) to put the finishing touches on that last version of FXAA he was working on, because seriously, it was already looking goddamned amazing and would have made this discussion of "FXAA vs. _____" pretty moot as it would have been able to make any game look a lot like Sleeping Dogs' combination of more aggressive FXAA and SSAA.

No turning back the clock on that one, though. Ah, well.

So TXAA is also gone? I remember a lot of talk about that when the Kepler GPU's arrived, but now I never see it as an option.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

It's not gone, in fact it's been in a few AAA games lately. While it is proprietary, it's a lot less difficult in terms of man hours to support provided the game already has an MSAA implementation that it can ~basically piggyback off of. Tim Lottes took his brain with him but left the IP, as is the way of things. Unreal 4 and modern Crytek support them at the engine level, but like anything it does take dev support to implement engine features.

There are some other very smart folks working on Vernier acuity at nVidia, Tim Lottes is a genius at rendering tech but just one guy y'know?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
I have a question about the GTX Titan. Are there any neat/fun/useful things one can do with a Titan that makes use of its compute capacity? My rig is primarily built for gaming and I'm not a molecular biologist, but I can't shake the feeling that I should find other uses for it since I have the capability.

I briefly dallied with cryptocurrency mining, but apparently CUDA just doesn't cut it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
You guys are throwin' around a lot of anti-aliasing acronyms. Is there somewhere that has a nice comparison of all the different ones?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

fletcher posted:

You guys are throwin' around a lot of anti-aliasing acronyms. Is there somewhere that has a nice comparison of all the different ones?

I found this somewhat educational. http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...a-anti-aliasing

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

GrizzlyCow posted:

Yes. The only requisite is that your graphics card support DirectX9 (and above for certain games) and Shader Model 3. Your laptop can use SweetFX. You might want to use RadeonPro instead of just SweetFX by itself since it apparently works with NVIDIA cards.

Man I could not get this to work with WoW at all. I mean the game runs fine, but I'm fine with 30 fps and nice looking anti aliasing, so I was just going to force 30fps in WoW and then run this SMAA [forcing FXAA looks terrible because it blurs the text].

Is there some step by step thing that anyone can suggest?

1) I have RP installed
2) I point to the place where SweetFX is on my computer
3) ??

I thought 3) was going to be 'open wow and enjoy anti aliased stuffs' but I have verified with screenshots that nothing changes no matter what I have set in RadeonPro.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Gyrotica posted:

I have a question about the GTX Titan. Are there any neat/fun/useful things one can do with a Titan that makes use of its compute capacity? My rig is primarily built for gaming and I'm not a molecular biologist, but I can't shake the feeling that I should find other uses for it since I have the capability.

I briefly dallied with cryptocurrency mining, but apparently CUDA just doesn't cut it.

There's a new(er?) version of cudaminer that makes Kepler reasonably competitive with AMD's offerings when it comes to cryptomining.

http://wccftech.com/protoshares-update-effective-cuda-mining/

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Nostrum posted:

There's a new(er?) version of cudaminer that makes Kepler reasonably competitive with AMD's offerings when it comes to cryptomining.

"Will CUDA-Coins break the mining monopoly AMD has enjoyed"

Is it really so great? It's working out fine for NVIDIA right now, since people who want to game are buying their cards, and even though custom cooled 290s and 290Xs are out, and are very commendable cards, and fantastic value at MSRP, mining related price gouging has absolutely ruined the launch of these cards even more so than AMD's crappy stock cooler ever did.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 28, 2014

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Gyrotica posted:

Folding@home or the various grid projects, if you'd like to contribute to science without expecting a personal return.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Gyrotica posted:

If you are only playing games, you should sell the titan and buy a 780ti

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

tijag posted:

Man I could not get this to work with WoW at all. I mean the game runs fine, but I'm fine with 30 fps and nice looking anti aliasing, so I was just going to force 30fps in WoW and then run this SMAA [forcing FXAA looks terrible because it blurs the text].

Is there some step by step thing that anyone can suggest?

1) I have RP installed
2) I point to the place where SweetFX is on my computer
3) ??

I thought 3) was going to be 'open wow and enjoy anti aliased stuffs' but I have verified with screenshots that nothing changes no matter what I have set in RadeonPro.

Try to set MultiSampling to x1, move 64bit executable to a subdirectory or just delete it, and use DX9.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Agreed posted:

Huh. FXAA actually worked. I never tried it because I assumed since forcing the stronger AA types didn't work FXAA wouldn't either.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Most post-process effects can be added in without weird compatibility issues, but the downside is they anti-alias the entire screen. Which includes your HUD/UI. This is why people complain FXAA can make things look fuzzy.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013
Hey Fellas, back in 2010 my friend was convinced by another friend that he needed to get a computer for gaming that would do him well. I was overseas at the time so he got a computer that isn't that good for graphics whores and he has asked me to help him upgrade his computer.

So he has 8 gigs of ram, he has a good monitor and an AMD Phenom II processor, but looking at his motherboard is kind of worrying. Is that an integrated graphics card? If it is, can he still buy and install one? Or is it new motherboard time?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I mean, you can still put in a dedicated graphics card. Does he really not have one right now? The problem is that computer is going to have a bit of a rough time running current games at high graphics even with a good card. I'd have to question things like the power supply also.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

beejay posted:

I mean, you can still put in a dedicated graphics card. Does he really not have one right now? The problem is that computer is going to have a bit of a rough time running current games at high graphics even with a good card. I'd have to question things like the power supply also.

PSU is 750W. What's the problem? Is the processor bad? Should he invest in a good MoBo?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The processor and motherboard are bad for gaming compared to intel. Anyway this is the GPU discussion thread, go to the parts picking thread.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ghostpilot posted:

My results were the same as yours (on a r9 290 flashed to a 290x): 60 fps with a steady pulse to 59 every second. I'm not sure you'd consider that a "flat line" FPS counter, but I went with the most literal interpretation in my answer on the form.

When trying it with Hardware Acceleration turned off, it's a flat 60 fps.

Thanks, I had a discussion with the Google guys and at least there is a defect with the FPS counter:

https://crbug.com/338790

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Don Lapre posted:

If you are only playing games, you should sell the titan and buy a 780ti

I would if I didn't love me some 6 gigabytes of VRAM. When modding Skyrim up to the gills and using the memory extender ENB it is quite helpful. Also, possible future-proofing in case console makers really do start to use more VRAM in their ports.

Phuzun posted:

Folding@home or the various grid projects, if you'd like to contribute to science without expecting a personal return.

Might end up doing this. You win again, proteins :arghfist:

Nostrum posted:

Unless this wins out :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Question, if I overclock a 760 to be about the same performance as a reference 770, would the 760 draw less watts than the 770, more watts, or about the same? I'm assuming more since running hotter would reduce efficiency but I've no idea in practice.