Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

A Misspelling of X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
Wait, are they making a new Wolverine movie?

(Wolverine Origins sucked and I am pretending it didn't exist, much like the movies following it are.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait, are they making a new Wolverine movie?

(Wolverine Origins sucked and I am pretending it didn't exist, much like the movies following it are.)

Hey it's a good comedy if you just watch the workprint.

And yes they are making a new Wolverine film :v:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Wolverine was pretty dope and I think Halle Berry almost kind of pulls off those stupid mil-spec panel uniforms.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Hey it's a good comedy if you just watch the workprint.

And yes they are making a new Wolverine film :v:

What the hell are they going to do in the third one anyway? The Madripoor stuff?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Gaz-L posted:

What the hell are they going to do in the third one anyway? The Madripoor stuff?

I dunno but I won't complain if we get Patch on the big screen! Patch!!!

Rumours are that Days of Future Past changes thing around enough timeline wise that both Wolverine 2 and Age of Apocalypse/X-Men:Apocalypse can spin out of it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Regardless of how DOFP does, anyone thinking that Fox would sell the rights back to Marvel is probably going to be sorely disappointed. Fox would rather make a dozen underperforming X-Men films before they let Disney profit off of a single one.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

HorseRenoir posted:

Regardless of how DOFP does, anyone thinking that Fox would sell the rights back to Marvel is probably going to be sorely disappointed. Fox would rather make a dozen underperforming X-Men films before they let Disney profit off of a single one.

They're not quite at a dozen, but they're getting there.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

At this point, the X-films and probably Spider-Man films as well are always going to be profitable, stable franchises,even if a film like Wolverine: Origins and Spider-Man 3 is panned critically and seen as a poo poo film.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

HorseRenoir posted:

Oh, no question. The franchise would have to poo poo the bed with the lights on before there's any chance they'll relinquish the rights. It would take a merger or a major change up of studio execs, or some bizarre rights swap for them to give them up willingly.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

StumblyWumbly posted:

They're not quite at a dozen, but they're getting there.

Well they've only had two which isn't bad really and Days of Future Past is their response to "people don't want X-Men without all the old people in it".

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
My main issue with this film is I've come to a realisation that while a big event summer cinema blowout works for The Avengers or Batman, it really doesn't for the X-Men. There's too many characters, too much going on, it's always been more like some grand, melodramatic soap opera compared to other properties (the rest have their moments but come on, the X stuff is *mental*). Sure, it's a big old cliché to say it but more than any other superhero property, it would be far better served as a TV series. These super compressed two-hour snippets every couple of years just can't hope to satisfy when there's so many characters, themes and stories being thrown haphazardly at the wall. It needs time and space to breathe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know what else might have been better as a standard seven-season serialised TV show?

Harry Potter.

But that's neither here nor there, obviously.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

My main issue with this film is I've come to a realisation that while a big event summer cinema blowout works for The Avengers or Batman, it really doesn't for the X-Men. There's too many characters, too much going on, it's always been more like some grand, melodramatic soap opera compared to other properties (the rest have their moments but come on, the X stuff is *mental*). Sure, it's a big old cliché to say it but more than any other superhero property, it would be far better served as a TV series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmqSOr2-NY

Show definitely doesn't skimp on the crazy, and it's dope.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Sentinel Red posted:

My main issue with this film is I've come to a realisation that while a big event summer cinema blowout works for The Avengers or Batman, it really doesn't for the X-Men. There's too many characters, too much going on, it's always been more like some grand, melodramatic soap opera compared to other properties

To be fair, X-Men could easily be as flashy and big as those other films. The problem is in getting writers and directors that actually get ambitious with the storytelling. One of the biggest problems with the Fox X-Men films is that Singer set a bad precedent with how the material gets used from both a writing and aesthetic standpoint, and only First Class felt like it was trying to break out of the Singer mold.

Sadly, with Singer's return it's very likely that any steps First Class took to break free of his influence on the series are going to be thrown out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DFu4ever posted:

Sadly, with Singer's return it's very likely that any steps First Class took to break free of his influence on the series are going to be thrown out.

When you consider that Singer produced and co-wrote First Class and is bringing in much of the cast from that movie, this statement doesn't make a lot of sense.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

When you consider that Singer produced and co-wrote First Class and is bringing in much of the cast from that movie, this statement doesn't make a lot of sense.

Singer only has a story credit for First Class which is rather nebulous in terms of his actual involvement on that end of things. It could mean as little as suggesting that Magneto goes to South America at one point.

rantmo fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 28, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So DOFP's "past" segment takes place in 1973 right? Early 70's sometime? So when you consider Wolverine Origins taking place in 1979 the age difference with Stryker really doesn't make sense.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Kingtheninja posted:

So DOFP's "past" segment takes place in 1973 right? Early 70's sometime? So when you consider Wolverine Origins taking place in 1979 the age difference with Stryker really doesn't make sense.

They haven't said when the past stuff takes place I think? The "in universe" stuff does mention the Kennedy assassination stuff they were going to do when Vaughan was still on-board.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Why don't they just split the teams/characters up and have a couple of movies a year? A Louisiana romance Romeo-Juliet type tale with Gambit, Rogue, whatever as a smaller budget movie. A giant extravaganza with the other guys for the summer. A comedy adventure with Dr. Nemesis. Etc.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Waterhaul posted:

Empire /= Entertainment Weekly but I know what you mean.

Oops, I just saw an E and figured it was EW, because they normally do crap like this. Empire I expect better from.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

rantmo posted:

It strikes me that lesson Fox, and frankly DC, have taken from the MCU is more heroes = more money. They see the end result of The Avengers and ignore the five years of work leading up to it, they forget that The Avengers was the payoff to a lot of work and not a quick cash in. First Class and Man Of Steel: On The Knight Shift are jumping to the endpoint without any build up. It's understandable that they're blinded by a $1.5 billion box office take, but given how much Fox is pouring into DoFP, it's going to be really easy for a modest response to become a proportional bomb.

Yeah, exactly. There's zero build-up to this. I would feel a lot better about this movie if they had actually made movies about both different teams of X-Men, and the centerpiece character, Wolverine. Without those it's just a quick cash-in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh, a new movie set in the present timeline where the X1-3 cast plus some new ones have and adventure. Hell, they could have done the story from when Rachael Grey and Nimrod come into the present. That ties it into the future quite nicely and introduces time travel.

But nope, lets throw everything we can into the mix and hope we get something good rather than barf.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I get the feeling that the decision process at Fox involves a lot of cocaine.
Like, a lot by Hollywood standards.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not that I really care about the X-men movie continuity or Cyclops as a character all that much, but it'd be cool if they used this time travel fuckery to undo his ridiculous death from the third movie. That poo poo was like if Avengers 2 opened with Cap falling down a flight of stairs and dying. And then no one talked about Cap at all for the rest of the film.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

StumblyWumbly posted:

I get the feeling that the decision process at Fox involves a lot of cocaine.
Like, a lot by Hollywood standards.

You're talking end of Scarface, Tony Montana face down in a giant pile amount, right? I don't think you're too far off.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, exactly. There's zero build-up to this. I would feel a lot better about this movie if they had actually made movies about both different teams of X-Men, and the centerpiece character, Wolverine. Without those it's just a quick cash-in.

They have made three movies with the original team and the last one was so bad that no one wanted to deal with them. They have made one movie with the past team, and have made a movie with Wolverine that does sort of connect the two.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
You know bringing up Origins, I always wondered, why did they decide to make Deadpool the way he was in that movie?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

achillesforever6 posted:

You know bringing up Origins, I always wondered, why did they decide to make Deadpool the way he was in that movie?

How did they make most of the decisions in that movie? Cocaine and other hard drugs.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

And hiring people who don't give a poo poo about the comics or characters

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because Deadpool is the worst so who cares?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
"Deadpools called the Merc with a Mouth...gently caress those comic nerds, sew his mouth shut! And bring me a expensive hooker and blow...and a panda cub for me to shoot!" - Fox exec while working on Wolverine Origins.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

achillesforever6 posted:

His name is Deadpool and his powers come from pooling together dead mutants.

Everything checks out here.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

"Deadpools called the Merc with a Mouth...gently caress those comic nerds, sew his mouth shut! And bring me a expensive hooker and blow...and a panda cub for me to shoot!" - Fox exec while working on Wolverine Origins.

The sewing the mouth shut thing made sense. How else are you going to shut up someone who wise-cracks all the time?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
God, remember those 20 minutes when people thought Ryan Reynolds was going to save comic book movies as we knew it?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Here's a better look at the Ninja Turtles designs

Electromax
May 6, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

They have made three movies with the original team and the last one was so bad that no one wanted to deal with them. They have made one movie with the past team, and have made a movie with Wolverine that does sort of connect the two.

I think that was the joke he was making...

I think it's been built up plenty, if they want to do this big storyline they sort of need to now because, and I love him to death, but Ian McKellen can only do a role like this for so long. Dude feels OLD in the Hobbit. He isn't about to keel over, but 3-4 years can make a big difference at that age. Him and Pat Stewart are both ~74, still looking good for their age but they won't be available forever. I would sort of expect this to be their last appearance in these roles, unless they pull a Stan Lee and cameo in X-Men 8 at age 95.

(I hope they do)

^^ Interesting look for the Turtles, I'm open to it. They have sort of a weird homeless samurai look to them, but I like Raph's Dread Pirate Roberts headscarf.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 28, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

404GoonNotFound posted:

God, remember those 20 minutes when people thought Ryan Reynolds was going to save comic book movies as we knew it?

Somehow it ended up being Chris Evans.

Dacap posted:

Here's a better look at the Ninja Turtles designs

Those look pretty loving good.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, I actually really dig the more individual approach to the designs

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I overreacted to the Halloween costume but... Mikey's supposed to look like an idiot and Raph being a thug/bruiser is expected. Reserving judgement until we see the other two. Especially Leo, who is usually supposed to be the baseline "average" one the other designs elaborate on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Donatello looks like he's hauling some gear with him too, nightvision goggles?

• Locked thread