Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Because of this thread I have started playing DE:HR again. What I want to know is: which of the three push-button endings is the 'correct' one in terms of producing the outcome that leads to the original game. Logically, being a prequel, there can only be one 'right' choice in a canonical sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Any of them, none of them are related in any way to the original game.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

nweismuller posted:

It just boggles the mind that even a tabloid like that makes that sort of analytic error.
You don't read the papers much, do you? Making basic analytic errors is pretty true to life. For evidence of this, just look at the political coverage of a paper that supports a party you don't vote for.

A journalist's job is, after all, first and foremost to sell advertising space, and secondly to boost the paper's circulation. "Informing the public" is a distant third, if it factors in at all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

muike posted:

Any of them, none of them are related in any way to the original game.

How aren't they? In the original game, augs are seemingly few and far between. Walking down the street in HR lets you see dozens of people with augmentations. Clearly something happened inbetween that reduced the aug population significantly.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Because of this thread I have started playing DE:HR again. What I want to know is: which of the three push-button endings is the 'correct' one in terms of producing the outcome that leads to the original game. Logically, being a prequel, there can only be one 'right' choice in a canonical sense.

They might have discussed that a bit in the last episode of developer commentary - I don't remember if I'm conflating that with something else though. Someone was arguing that the fourth button is most canonical because the influence of all the people in Panchaea isn't really felt later - as they should have been if they were still alive. (Sarif for instance should have had an impact on history in a significant way)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Given that we only see a handful of mech-augmented people in Deus Ex, pretty much any of them could work. In the Sarif ending of unregulated augmentation, we can assume that it was briefly popular, then died down as the world fell into war and economic depression because people couldn't afford the augs or the neuropozyne. In the Taggart ending of regulated augmentation, we can assume that the Illuminati had a hand in controlling how augs spread, then lost that control when Page split off Majestic 12 and they entered their decline. In the Darrow ending, rejection of augmentation technology, we can assume the populace as a whole didn't adopt it, and that's why we only see government soldiers like Gunther and Anna, or PMC mechs like the MJ12 commandos. And the Adam ending basically means the regulation/deregulation fight happens regardless of the destruction of Panchea, so any of the above could apply.

Basically, by the time Deus Ex comes around mechanical augmentations are old news, and the world is in such decline that they're no longer meaningful anyway. The only question is how many of the people we don't see, the remnants of the middle class with the money and power to not be on the streets, are augmented, and that's pretty much the only thing the ending of DX:HR will affect.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Slavvy posted:

How aren't they? In the original game, augs are seemingly few and far between. Walking down the street in HR lets you see dozens of people with augmentations. Clearly something happened inbetween that reduced the aug population significantly.

The middle class has evaporated and most people can barely afford food, let alone robot arms. The wealthy, who presumably could afford augmentation, don't make much of an appearance in Deus Ex.

EDIT: ^^^^^ :argh:

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 28, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Xander77 posted:

How can you mention Dulles without dedicating some time to the Dulles Plan? (Probably because that conspiracy theory never made its way out West, but still)

That's pretty neat, actually. Over here in the US, we blamed Communists for moral decay, youth rebellion, governmental criticism, and sexual promiscuity.

Slavvy posted:

While I'd agree that it's hard to say for certain, I'd have to argue that the Illuminati ending is the most likely. After all, mechanical augmentation is extremely limited outside of the military and much of the world's decline is directly the fault of secret societies, either from direct action or else as a response to their attempts to take control. MJ12 is simply an extension of the Illuminati, a more aggressive variation which actively uses the old guard's networks and control schemes.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That's pretty neat, actually. Over here in the US, we blamed Communists for moral decay, youth rebellion, governmental criticism, and sexual promiscuity.

While I'd agree that it's hard to say for certain, I'd have to argue that the Illuminati ending is the most likely. After all, mechanical augmentation is extremely limited outside of the military and much of the world's decline is directly the fault of secret societies, either from direct action or else as a response to their attempts to take control. MJ12 is simply an extension of the Illuminati, a more aggressive variation which actively uses the old guard's networks and control schemes.

I'd have to argue that the 'blow up Panachaea' ending is actually the most likely ending. Absolutely everybody who was on Panachaea is no longer a factor as of DX1, Versalife is still going strong, which seems unlikely if it had been used as an Illuminati fall guy, and- this is the thing- the status quo in Human Revolution was the Illuminati running things, and blowing up Panachaea does nothing to change that. For all that they present it as allowing humanity to make its own decisions, the Illuminati are still pulling the strings at Picus, and Picus was the biggest world opinion maker in HR. This also makes Page being in a position to poach Reed, as he does in the epilogue, much more likely, and the epilogue implies she's out of a job. Which would be less likely if Sarif were still in business/alive.

That said, either blowing up Panachaea or the Illuminati ending are FAR more likely than either the Sarif or Darrow endings, both of which would likely end up with a world that looks significantly different than it does in DX1. I just think that the 'blow it up' ending positions Bob Page in particular to be the villain far better than the Illuminati ending.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 28, 2014

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nihil aliud scit necessitas quam vincere
Necessity knows nothing other than winning

i'm surprise how close google translate got on that one. It usually sucks poo poo at Latin.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

nweismuller posted:

I'd have to argue that the 'blow up Panachaea' ending is actually the most likely ending. Absolutely everybody who was on Panachaea is no longer a factor as of DX1, Versalife is still going strong, which seems unlikely if it had been used as an Illuminati fall guy, and- this is the thing- the status quo in Human Revolution was the Illuminati running things, and blowing up Panachaea does nothing to change that. For all that they present it as allowing humanity to make its own decisions, the Illuminati are still pulling the strings at Picus, and Picus was the biggest world opinion maker in HR. This also makes Page being in a position to poach Reed, as he does in the epilogue, much more likely, and the epilogue implies she's out of a job. Which would be less likely if Sarif were still in business/alive.

That said, either blowing up Panachaea or the Illuminati ending are FAR more likely than either the Sarif or Darrow endings, both of which would likely end up with a world that looks significantly different than it does in DX1. I just think that the 'blow it up' ending positions Bob Page in particular to be the villain far better than the Illuminati ending.

To be fair, Megan being out of a job could happen in any of the endings because the people that she started to work for (the folks who kidnapped her) are dead by the time that the game is over.

She could back to Sarif, to be sure, but then she could also just go to work for Page.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Fair enough, but I'd suspect she'd not default to out of a job if Sarif is still in action, and the way the epilogue goes, it doesn't sound like she considered returning to Sarif Industries at all. Which would be odd if SI was still active.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Page was probably willing to pay better and grant her more leniency in regards to patient DNA stuff. That, and I don't think Sarif was ready to gear up for nano-augmentation, which is what Megan was interested in working on.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I always assumed that vast majority of augs were wiped up in the events leading up to the ending, regardless of the one chosen. Keep in mind we're only talking about 25 years. It's not so much that none of the younger people don't have augs, but the augments running around in HR should still be alive and kicking in DX1, but where are they?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

There are four buttons, I believe?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Maybe they don't have Augs anymore? With the middle class wiped out by economic turmoil they're not gonna have muchany money for neuropozene. No neuropozene, no augs. Which means we really should be seeing a bunch of amputees wandering around, but I don't think we can fault DX1 for not seeing that. Nobody thought about that went they put together Human Revolution.

EDIT:

Mordaedil posted:

There are four buttons, I believe?

Only if you are playing Adam "No gods no kings I hate every last one of you bastards I never asked for this" Jensen.

Best Jensen.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

RickVoid posted:

Maybe they don't have Augs anymore? With the middle class wiped out by economic turmoil they're not gonna have muchany money for neuropozene. No neuropozene, no augs. Which means we really should be seeing a bunch of amputees wandering around, but I don't think we can fault DX1 for not seeing that. Nobody thought about that went they put together Human Revolution.

EDIT:

Only if you are playing Adam "No gods no kings I hate every last one of you bastards I never asked for this" Jensen.

Best Jensen.

You know, a bunch of amputees are likely to end up amongst the indigent, and we DO have the Gray Death killing at will...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Still rules out David's ending. Guy was on the cusp of ending the need for Nu-poz. Figure there'd be a lot more old guard augs around if he had the run of the place for a while.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Neuropozene is never mentioned in DX. We see a few augs other than Gunther and Anna such as Rock and a few random security guards and underworld thugs who likely wouldn't be able to afford regular nu-poz. The problem may well have been solved by 2052.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think that problem was solved when Darrow almost caused the Apocalypse at the end of the game and probably scared most people away from the technology. It also neatly explains why there's like only 4 people in the world that still have mechanical augs.

Honestly it would've been nice if they tied DX:HR in better, rather than insert a few name drops and articles hypothesizing about the future of Nano-tech. It's still a great game but there's a bit of a gap between it and Deus Ex in terms of what's happened.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It also neatly explains why there's like only 4 people in the world that still have mechanical augs.

Interestingly enough, according to the wiki we encounter just about as many named characters with mechanical augs in DX as we do in HR. However, by IW the dreams of dogmentation have finally been realized.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Didn't Darrow's signal effect all augmented people globally? If so during that fiasco many were probably killed directly from effects of the signal including actions that resulted in accidental death or defensive actions taken against them by non-augmented people. After the signal is shut off those remaining probably suffer all sorts of problems: Having augmentations removed which could lead to further medical issues, suicide due to things they did while going bonkers, or just good ol' fashioned exile and lynch mobs.

After the overall "culling" caused by Darrow the resulting economic collapse and social stigma ensured no one outside of the very rich, criminal underground, and government would get augmentations afterwards. Seems to explain nicely for the fact we don't see many augments in DX1 living in the open and a few of them that we do see seem perfectly aware of the stigma they've been saddled with. Ultimately it seems like any of the DXHR endings don't have to explain where all the augs went, it just has to setup a probable reason as to why Sarif Industries is nowhere to be found in DX1... And between increasingly worse corporate consolidation and cloaking robotic assassins there are lots of ways Sarif could've been kicked into the dust bin of history with the endings that aren't Illuminati or "Kill everyone - I'm Adam Jensen and I am asking for this, bitch".

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I still expect to hear "metal will never die" at the end of each video...

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

Faraday Cage posted:

I could've sworn one of the objectives for this level was "bring all the potted plants and sofas to JC's office".
I think you have to bring the sofas and plants from the rest of Liberty Island to complete that objective and extra XP gets awarded for flags chairs, trophies, and vases as well.

The door ate a sofa, a flag, a wet floor sign, the push cart and then four plants and a flag fell through the floor ruining my attempt on this run.

Oh and I also accidentally jumped on a trash can and broke it but at least I got a rat for a pet out of that. I do need to move the dead NSF guy to a more prominent position now that I think of it.

PolarPear fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 29, 2014

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

On a very special episode of Hoarders...

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PolarPear posted:

I do need to move the dead NSF guy to a more prominent position now that I think of it.
What's more prominent than Manderley's desk? :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

PolarPear posted:

I think you have to bring the sofas and plants from the rest of Liberty Island to complete that objective and extra XP gets awarded for flags chairs, trophies, and vases as well.

The door ate a sofa, a flag, a wet floor sign, the push cart and then four plants and a flag fell through the floor ruining my attempt on this run.

Oh and I also accidentally jumped on a trash can and broke it but at least I got a rat for a pet out of that. I do need to move the dead NSF guy to a more prominent position now that I think of it.

where are the tnt boxes and explosive barrels. :colbert:

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

double nine posted:

where are the tnt boxes and explosive barrels. :colbert:

I gathered them and other things on Liberty Island into piles all around so I can fill Manderley's office later. There is no way I'm dragging them all back sober, not even with fly mode.
I'm curious to see what happens to cutscenes when all available space is crates. I'll obviously need to spawn in more TNT if the game won't crash from all that extra stuff in the HQ.

Pierzak posted:

What's more prominent than Manderley's desk? :v:

It took a good 5 minutes for me to realize I couldn't get the body off of JC's desk without noclip, another 5 to find the right spot where I could turn it off without dying because I was stuck in something. It has a new home where it will be appreciated now.

EDIT: I can't wait for the next vid to show more things I never knew existed and more conspiracy/literature corner. I played ahead and the only thing I remember about Battery Park is nobody caring when I started shooting everyone.

PolarPear fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 29, 2014

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You know for being about global conspiracies and viruses that kill billions, this is an awfully silly game.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

counterfeitsaint posted:

You know for being about global conspiracies and viruses that kill billions, this is an awfully silly game.

I think that's the point. The conversation between Anna and Gunther about the soda machine lampshades the conspiracy topic nicely.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
In case anyone doesn't already have this game, Deus Ex GOTY Edition is currently 80% off at GOG.com ($1.99!) for the next couple of hours.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Xander77 posted:

Interesting thing about ATMs - using a login + password to empty a specific account (or several) then hacking them, gives more money then either option on its own (though not the equivalent of both combined)

I know this is an old topic, but I think I just figured out what's going on with the ATM's. The central thing is that it turns out the amount of money you can hack from an ATM depends on your Computer skill; I first noticed this when I checked Unfair's footage and realized he got 300 out of the UNATCO ATM whereas I only got 150. I also checked out using proper account codes and hacking versus hacking alone, and it looks like the numbers add up the same either way. For instance, I found a login at the 'Ton Hotel good for 100 credits, and afterwards I hacked at Advanced skill level and received an extra 232. However, when I reloaded and hacked the ATM straight away, the amount I could withdraw was 332.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I know this is an old topic, but I think I just figured out what's going on with the ATM's. The central thing is that it turns out the amount of money you can hack from an ATM depends on your Computer skill; I first noticed this when I checked Unfair's footage and realized he got 300 out of the UNATCO ATM whereas I only got 150. I also checked out using proper account codes and hacking versus hacking alone, and it looks like the numbers add up the same either way. For instance, I found a login at the 'Ton Hotel good for 100 credits, and afterwards I hacked at Advanced skill level and received an extra 232. However, when I reloaded and hacked the ATM straight away, the amount I could withdraw was 332.
Interesting. Never knew that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:siren: :siren: Deus Ex GOTY edition is up for sale at https://www.gog.com right now for an insane $2. Get it if you don't have it already. Bonuses include pdf of the manual, soundtrack, fictional newspaper pdf.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
So are you planning to save Paul or run away like a coward?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Farecoal posted:

So are you planning to save Paul or run away like a coward?

1. Grab as many Lam and gas grenades you can find.
2. Place said mines in various locations across the building, especially around the lobby
2.5 if you have the patience, grab the tnt boxes from the warehouse and place them in the building.
3. Trigger cutscene and observe as the screen goes white for a few seconds while all of your explosives go off.
4. Walk away.

Speaking of, I remember finding the code for the subway in that mission, but for the life of me when I replayed it I couldn't find it anymore and the codelock has infinite strength. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

double nine posted:

1. Grab as many Lam and gas grenades you can find.
2. Place said mines in various locations across the building, especially around the lobby
2.5 if you have the patience, grab the tnt boxes from the warehouse and place them in the building.
3. Trigger cutscene and observe as the screen goes white for a few seconds while all of your explosives go off.
4. Walk away.

Speaking of, I remember finding the code for the subway in that mission, but for the life of me when I replayed it I couldn't find it anymore and the codelock has infinite strength. Does anyone know where I can find it?

You know if you stay to fight Paul is completely invincible. You can just stand back and watch him murder his way through the whole building. You do have to keep him in your line of sight though, otherwise he teleports away.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Trying to knock out everyone in that fight is a bit of a hassle. (I really missed DE:HR gas grenades)

Otherwise, you can just lock yourself in Paul's closet.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Ugh, that part. On my first playthrough, I took the time to help Paul murder every single guy coming to kill him.

...Then I left through the window because that's the usual method I used and found out that that is the trigger for whether or not Paul lives to tell the tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Livewire42 posted:

You know if you stay to fight Paul is completely invincible. You can just stand back and watch him murder his way through the whole building. You do have to keep him in your line of sight though, otherwise he teleports away.

And if you go out through the bedroom window, he will die no matter what. If you come back into the room after leaving through the window, you can see him die.

I often like to hide in the closet while Paul murders everyone.

• Locked thread