Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Phuzun posted:

Yes, thus games that aren't as fast paced and a bunch of games were designed for that refresh rate. Anti aliasing is nothing compared to actual resolution at that point. I don't have screen tearing on a gtx 780. Dark souls is sharp, L.A. Noire looks amazing. Also nice for adventure and turn based games.

It is a versatile display for the cost and I only hope it doesn't burn out or something. I can see it lasting as a secondary display for as long as 4k movies and video are a standard.

Aren't current 30hz 4k TVs TN panels though? I wouldn't want to buy a TN panel regardless of resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

What chairs ya'll use. My back sucks.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Common recommendations include the Steelcase LEAP or Herman Miller Aeron or one of its descendants.

Don't cheap out though. A good chair will do wonders for comfort and posture and can last a long, long time.

e: corrected to Steelcase.

crestfallen fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 28, 2014

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

cat doter posted:

Aren't current 30hz 4k TVs TN panels though? I wouldn't want to buy a TN panel regardless of resolution.

Yeah, after getting a decent IPS panel last year I couldn't go back to TN. I'm even thinking about swapping out the TN panel on my laptop for an IPS one.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

crestfallen posted:

Common recommendations include the Steelcase LEAP or Herman Miller Aeron or one of its descendants.

Don't cheap out though. A good chair will do wonders for comfort and posture and can last a long, long time.

The names are pretty similar, but yeah, the Steelcase Leap has quite a rep. It doesn't look like much and initially doesn't feel as soft as a lot of other chairs, but it'll fix your posture whether you like it or not.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
D'oh! Thanks, I didn't think that sounded right but was too lazy to check. Heh.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't search Amazon from here but I believe there is a Steelcase Leap v2 that's come out in the last year or so? Might also be worth considering.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

spacebrospiff posted:

What chairs ya'll use. My back sucks.
Just bought this one from Ikea last month: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20178865/
Lumbar support on it is fuckin fantastic and its like sitting on a cloud. I read some reviews that called it the best chair for under a grand and I believe it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

^^Fabric chairs can lose support really quickly, and they damage more easily.

Ciaphas posted:

I can't search Amazon from here but I believe there is a Steelcase Leap v2 that's come out in the last year or so? Might also be worth considering.

Yeah, I didn't know about that one. It's at the same price and everything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wanted to get a look at a 120hz monitor in action, but I couldn't find any either at Best Buy or Fry's (Las Vegas). I don't want to buy one sight unseen, that's for sure; anyone know any other stores I might get a look in?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Ularg posted:

Yea, my only regret is that this monitor is a TN panel. But otherwise it is really cool. I mean, 2ms, that's great. It has some really cool features for presets on brightness, contrast, saturation and color. I use Game Mode on anything competitive like Battlefield 4 where there is basically no dark corners but still manages not to look washed out. But playing something like WoW or Rogue Legacy and I swap to Theater Mode and it makes every color pop. I'm just fascinated by it because I don't know much about monitors or calibrating them to be accurate.
I'm overwhelmed by the built in options now, my old monitor barely had a menu. I'll probably just leave it on Standard because I'd rather have consistency, but it's nice to know the options are there. Maybe I'll check out Game Mode actually.

crestfallen posted:

e: corrected to Steelcase.
Get one of those and join the elitist ranks of expensive chair owners who just snort condescendingly whenever someone brings up their awesome $100 OfficeMax chair. There's a thread too if you want to really dig in: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

I got a Steelcase Leap used from a furniture liquidator and wish I'd done it years ago.

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah the V2 is the current version, it's been out for a while now I think. Look for the more square looking arms, the first version of the Leap has rounder ones.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 29, 2014

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
I use a $20 leather office chair I got from salvation army at home and have a $800 office chair at work. I can't tell any difference. Minority opinion I know but if spending $500+ on a chair isn't on your agenda I would certainly check out a local thrift store or craigslist for businesses trying to sell off old chairs. Maybe I just got lucky though.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

cat doter posted:

No, it is an S-MVA panel type.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Pews posted:

I use a $20 leather office chair I got from salvation army at home and have a $800 office chair at work. I can't tell any difference. Minority opinion I know but if spending $500+ on a chair isn't on your agenda I would certainly check out a local thrift store or craigslist for businesses trying to sell off old chairs. Maybe I just got lucky though.

The difference will be if/when one of them breaks. The warranties on most of these high dollar numbers is stupidly good. Before this I had chairs from all over the place... hand me downs, thrift store, Office Depot/Max, and I probably switched them out at least once a year because they had something go wrong with them or I found something nicer/more comfy.

Granted, my Aeron is more than the 12 years old so it is out of warranty, but it looks and feels good as new. Not all of them last this long, apparently (fiddly bits break/wear out a lot, from what my Operations guy at work says). Completely worth the ~$900 I spent on it so long ago.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Monitor Talk: For my money greater resolution pips the benefits of >60Hz refresh, yeah it will be a bit snappier for FPS stuff but the added fidelity in a 1440p screen is incredible, being able to see the dudes you are shooting in much crisper detail is much more beneficial for me than if I can have my mouse respond in 0.008 seconds instead of 0.016 seconds. I bought a Kogan 27" 1440p IPS which is likely just a rebadged taiwanese model but for the price is really good value and can do actual 1440p @ 60hz over the displayport connection, a lot of the similarly priced models I was looking at had the same screens but only an hdmi connection so they could only do 30hz at full res. The Kogan does have some minor light leakage at the base of the screen but it's not a dealbreaker, especially at this price, and is only noticable when I am browsing light colored pages like the forums. I just moved the bottom edge of the browser window up a bit, problem solved. Next purchase will definitely be a 4k screen once they are down to equivalent prices, but I'd have to get a 30" at least as WQHD is already teetering on the limits of visibility at 27 inches, 4K at this size would be incredibly sharp but not really useful for regular desktop use.

Chair Talk: Are there any recommended chairs that bridge the divide between the $100 warehouse models and the $1000 aerons and whatnot? Because drat that is a lot of money to drop on a single bit of furniture despite me spending a significant fraction of my waking hours in it, especially because they just don't look comfy from the pictures, they just look like the wirey, pokey chairs I have seen in office situations in the past that definitely aren't worth up to or over a grand, and it's unlikely there's anywhere within several hundred KM of me that has one I can sit in to test. I'd really like another chair that lets me fold the arms up because it's easier to sit and play guitar that way, and my current one has the seat padding starting to get compacted so it's not as good to sit in, and neither the Leap or Aeron appear to have movable armrests.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
So are there generic chairs that don't cost a grand? I need a new one, and anything over two hundred is just completely out of the question.

Hell, the two hundred is pushing it. Why aren't there knock off chairs like there are monitors.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

YourAverageJoe posted:

^^Fabric chairs can lose support really quickly, and they damage more easily.

Durability is an issue that can be offset by price, though. You could afford 5-6 replacements of those $170 chairs for the price of one $1000 chair, so if the comfort level is similar the maths can easily work out in your favour.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I wanted to get a look at a 120hz monitor in action, but I couldn't find any either at Best Buy or Fry's (Las Vegas). I don't want to buy one sight unseen, that's for sure; anyone know any other stores I might get a look in?

A year back I couldn't find anywhere in San Francisco with 120 Hz monitors on display. Store attendants generally don't know what 120 Hz is and I don't blame them if it's not something they're trying to sell.

Based on reviews and prices I ended up getting a "BenQ StarCraft II/ FPS Gaming Monitor 120Hz 24”W LED 3D Display" SKU # SKU1000381 from the manufacturer online. It had one stuck pixel but poking it just right turned it into only half of a light pixel ("3D enabled" monitor). Great display otherwise. I didn't want to return it over one pixel due to shipping and the scarcity of those monitors. It really made me with there was some physical place I could have bought it from and exchanged it at.

So keep looking and report back!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ciaphas posted:

Frys should have one - but its in the nvidia 3d display section rather than with the other monitors. Either that or the lg 3d display section.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

NihilCredo posted:

Durability is an issue that can be offset by price, though. You could afford 5-6 replacements of those $170 chairs for the price of one $1000 chair, so if the comfort level is similar the maths can easily work out in your favour.

I agree with this... however, I put a big price tag on convenience, and doing any of the following for a $170 chair essentially doubles the pricetag in my eyes:

1) Having to go to a store, pick out the new model of the "cheap" chair you want this time (because likely the one you bought last year is no longer made because it wears out too quickly), and lug it back home in the back of my car.

2) Picking out a chair online, ordering it, paying for shipping for something you really don't want to ship, then having to assemble the thing yourself.

I picked out one chair after sitting on one in a showroom, they shipped it to me, I assembled it, and I've been sitting in it for probably 3+ hours every day for more than twelve years. I just don't see to beat that deal.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Essobie posted:

I agree with this... however, I put a big price tag on convenience, and doing any of the following for a $170 chair essentially doubles the pricetag in my eyes:

1) Having to go to a store, pick out the new model of the "cheap" chair you want this time (because likely the one you bought last year is no longer made because it wears out too quickly), and lug it back home in the back of my car.

I assume that means you make at least $170 an hour, because there's no way it would take longer than an hour to do all of that required physical labor.

I guess I'm surprised that's the selling point of expensive chairs. I have a cheap office chair I've used for the last 11 years where I work. I sit in it 8 hours per day, and nothing has happened to it whatsoever.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Leper Residue posted:

So are there generic chairs that don't cost a grand? I need a new one, and anything over two hundred is just completely out of the question.

Hell, the two hundred is pushing it. Why aren't there knock off chairs like there are monitors.

If you Google "guest chairs" you can find some pretty cheap, serviceable chairs. I don't want wheels on my chair because I don't want to scratch my hardwood floors. Can't beat 40 bucks a chair off amazon, especially since they deliver for free through prime.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I got a knockoff herman miller aeron or whatever for about $40 from Craigslist

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Dirty Job posted:

If you Google "guest chairs" you can find some pretty cheap, serviceable chairs. I don't want wheels on my chair because I don't want to scratch my hardwood floors. Can't beat 40 bucks a chair off amazon, especially since they deliver for free through prime.

You can actually get special soft plastic wheels for chairs on hardwood floors. Often the wheels on rolling chairs can just be popped off and replaced with them.

I use these for example and they work great. They also have more traction so you don't roll away at the slightest push.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I got an Aeron at work and it makes me angry at my formerly good $150 Staples special

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

The Milkman posted:

I got an Aeron at work and it makes me angry at my formerly good $150 Staples special

This is the most important aspect.
You really won't appreciate a good chair until you've sat in one and realize how lovely whatever you've been using the last couple of years actually is.

I bought a ~250€ chair which isn't even that fancy but comfortable as poo poo to me (I've been to like four different furniture stores like Ikea and sat in every single one of their office chairs and this one was by far the best one for me, even better than chairs with triple that price) and it was only after using this one for a couple of weeks (or days, really) that I noticed what a piece of poo poo the old ~50€ thing I've been using for like a decade was, even though I didn't even have any significant complaints about the old one before.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Dirty Job posted:

You can get those plastic chair mats that have a hardwood floor look if you want. Saves the floor and doesnt look like a slab of plastic laying on the floor.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I mean, ultimately you're going to have to find your own balance. I tried a bunch of chairs from cheap to what I thought was pretty stupidly expensive. I noticed a definite difference in some of the nicer models, but not in all of them.

For me personally, it made sense to buy a used Aeron from Craigslist at a significant discount. It was worth it.

For you, maybe the right balance is a step down from that. Or maybe it's the best $100 chair you can afford that you replace every few years.

The important thing is to try a whole bunch of them, IMO. Then make your decision.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I actually did that thing I said I would do earlier. I hooked up my HDTV to my computer to play some controller based games with. Weird at first when it was overscanning but TV options had a fix for that.

Played Rogue Legacy for 20 minutes before giving up. This is really weird but playing Rogue Legacy at 60fps felt really sluggish. Felt like there was a ton of ghosting going on as well. Swapped it back over to my 120hz (and getting a solid 120fps)monitor and it felt like home again.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Ularg posted:

I actually did that thing I said I would do earlier. I hooked up my HDTV to my computer to play some controller based games with. Weird at first when it was overscanning but TV options had a fix for that.

Played Rogue Legacy for 20 minutes before giving up. This is really weird but playing Rogue Legacy at 60fps felt really sluggish. Felt like there was a ton of ghosting going on as well. Swapped it back over to my 120hz (and getting a solid 120fps)monitor and it felt like home again.

Get a 120hz TV :shepface:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Frys should have one - but its in the nvidia 3d display section rather than with the other monitors. Either that or the lg 3d display section.

I'll have to take another look tomorrow, thanks. Are all 3D monitors 120hz by definition, then, in the sense that they can display up to 120FPS with 3D off?

Being amblyopic and therefore stereoblind means I have precisely zero interest in 3D :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ended up going back to frys and they had an Asus VG278H on display, with some racing game running. Ended up liking what I saw of 120hz refresh, bought it (that was a lot of bones :(), and holy crap TF2 is like a brand new game :stare:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Ciaphas posted:

Ended up going back to frys and they had an Asus VG278H on display, with some racing game running. Ended up liking what I saw of 120hz refresh, bought it (that was a lot of bones :(), and holy crap TF2 is like a brand new game :stare:

Welcome brother. I have the same monitor and gaming on anything else just isn't the same anymore.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Being amblyopic and therefore stereoblind means I have precisely zero interest in 3D :v:

You may (or may not) have more interest knowing that in at least one case, watching a 3D movie restored stereoscopic vision to a man that was born stereo-blind:
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120719-awoken-from-a-2d-world

(May not even be remotely applicable to your condition)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

You may (or may not) have more interest knowing that in at least one case, watching a 3D movie restored stereoscopic vision to a man that was born stereo-blind:
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120719-awoken-from-a-2d-world

(May not even be remotely applicable to your condition)

Hah, I read that article once and completely forgot about it.

On a related note, the monitor I got didn't come with the glasses 'cos it was a display model. Is there a particular kind I need to buy to try it, assuming they're sufficiently cheap?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Ciaphas posted:

Hah, I read that article once and completely forgot about it.

On a related note, the monitor I got didn't come with the glasses 'cos it was a display model. Is there a particular kind I need to buy to try it, assuming they're sufficiently cheap?

I got the version of your monitor that came with Nvidia vision 2 glasses. These things:

They work really well but you have to make sure you use them once in awhile and keep them charged. When I originally purchased the monitor it came with the version 1 of the glasses. I didn't have a Nvidia card so I just left the glasses in their box and a few months later when I finally got to use it wouldn't hold a charge. However Nvidia treats you like the 1% as far as support goes and didn't even doubt my ticket as well as upgrading me to a brand new Vision 2 glasses in box.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ularg posted:

I got the version of your monitor that came with Nvidia vision 2 glasses. These things:

They work really well but you have to make sure you use them once in awhile and keep them charged. When I originally purchased the monitor it came with the version 1 of the glasses. I didn't have a Nvidia card so I just left the glasses in their box and a few months later when I finally got to use it wouldn't hold a charge. However Nvidia treats you like the 1% as far as support goes and didn't even doubt my ticket as well as upgrading me to a brand new Vision 2 glasses in box.

It's more like 'HOLY poo poo AN ACTUAL REPORT TICKET GO GO GO GO'.
And then Nvidia swat teams dressed up in the Titan's color palette deliver it personally.

Isn't there pretty drat low usage of the 3d Vision stuff anyways?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, thanks, looks like a replacement pair will be cheap enough to give the old college try. I'm frankly not expecting much though, with my complete lack of success with the 3DS, magic eyes, depth perception tests, etc. :v:

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Ciaphas posted:

Cool, thanks, looks like a replacement pair will be cheap enough to give the old college try. I'm frankly not expecting much though, with my complete lack of success with the 3DS, magic eyes, depth perception tests, etc. :v:

The 3d you get from nVidia shutter glasses is way better than the stuff you get from a 3DS. Software support is lacking, though. Most games won't work right in 3d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ularg posted:

Welcome brother. I have the same monitor and gaming on anything else just isn't the same anymore.

VG278H bros unite. :hfive:

I do wish it was a 1440p display, though.

• Locked thread