Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I hadn't read a lot of fantasy when I cracked open Gardens of the Moon and the battle at Pale just completely flabbergasted me. Been hooked ever since! I've only just scratched the surface of The Crippled God, but after the end of Dust of Dreams, I can tell the series is gonna go out with a bang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm curious when the series really "hooked" people. For me, reading the first time, it seems to have happened around Chapter 9 of Gardens of the Moon Lorne and Dujek strategizing, Confrontation with Tattersail and Lorne, conversation between Paran and Tattersail, introduction of T'lan Imass and what they signify Seems around that time that the book started to feel truly epic, and as of Chapter 16 the epicness has just continued to increase. So many "holy poo poo" moments.

I honestly barely remember my first Gardens of the Moon read other than the fact I had absolutely no idea what was going on. I was hooked from the second chapter, mostly because of this thread. I finished Crippled God about a month ago and still have no idea what was going on. Now I'm into Forge of Darkness and really have no clue what happened. This series is amazing

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Finished Gardens of the Moon. Holy hell that was awesome. Hard to believe it's considered one of the weaker books.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Finished Gardens of the Moon. Holy hell that was awesome. Hard to believe it's considered one of the weaker books.

just wait till deadhouse gates gets going

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dalmuti posted:

just wait till deadhouse gates gets going

Id empty quote this if I could. That book is my 2nd favorite of the series.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The more I play Dominions, the more I understand why the gods act the way they do.

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012

amuayse posted:

The more I play Dominions, the more I understand why the gods act the way they do.

Dominions and the Malazan Books just go so well together. They should do a Mod for this series.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
There is. It hasn't been converted to 4 sadly. In the vanilla game though, there are some references to the Malazan Books with the Unfrozen (T'lan Imass) and Ether Warriors (Tiste Andii).

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

amuayse posted:

What game is this?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568182&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
A strategy game where you play as various gods based mainly on world mythology. World shattering spells and super powerful beings exist side by side with armies of humans. Diplomacy is as important as magic if you don't want to get your teeth kicked in.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/01/the-complete-malazan-series

More expensive than getting them individually, but :drat:

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
Is that supposed to be Tattersail on the cover? If so, she should be a bit thicker based on the descriptions I think? Minor complaint I suppose.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah she was described as "voluptuous" to say the least

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Either way, it looks pretty drat awesome. If I didn't already own all the books physically, I'd really consider buying the giant ebook tome.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Levitate posted:

Yeah she was described as "voluptuous" to say the least

i believe she called herself "the fat lady with the spells"

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
someone's done an awful lot of tattersail fanart

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Dalmuti posted:

someone's done an awful lot of tattersail fanart

Huh, never thought of Tattersail as a plump Hillary Clinton.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

More expensive than getting them individually, but :drat:

How you figure? Gardens of the Moon is $6 on Amazon, the rest are either $8 (through Toll the Hounds) or $8.54 (Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God), for a total of around $79, and the collection is $58.25.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Just finished my 3rd reread of Deadhouse Gates and the ending still gets me...

Also, it really is amazing how reading these books a second (or third) time you'll pick up so much stuff that you missed previously. I know I'm a big ol' weirdo for reading this series so much, but I do really love it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Aranan posted:

Just finished my 3rd reread of Deadhouse Gates and the ending still gets me...

Also, it really is amazing how reading these books a second (or third) time you'll pick up so much stuff that you missed previously. I know I'm a big ol' weirdo for reading this series so much, but I do really love it.

Pretty sure the read I did prior to tackling FoD was my fourth one, so I'm right there with you. They're almost entirely different books when you go through them again.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

ulmont posted:

How you figure? Gardens of the Moon is $6 on Amazon, the rest are either $8 (through Toll the Hounds) or $8.54 (Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God), for a total of around $79, and the collection is $58.25.

It is $85 for the Nook. If it was $60 I would buy it since I"m missing the digital copies of the first three books. I should sell my Nook to fund this

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it was $83 at the time I posted. Looks like amazon has done its usual thing.

I think it's Tattersail too or maybe Sorry, but a chubby chick wouldn't sell is probably what they were thinking.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah it was $83 at the time I posted. Looks like amazon has done its usual thing.

I think it's Tattersail too or maybe Sorry, but a chubby chick wouldn't sell is probably what they were thinking.

I really wish Sorry had a more important part in the books. I hate that he even changed her name from Sorry. I wanted some Quick Ben, Kalam, and Sorry massacres in the last book.

So much potential. :(

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Haha, that just made me remember Cutter.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Bluedust posted:

I really wish Sorry had a more important part in the books. I hate that he even changed her name from Sorry. I wanted some Quick Ben, Kalam, and Sorry massacres in the last book.

So much potential. :(

To be fair, Quick Ben and Kalam did go around murdering a bunch of Forkrul Assail in that last battle sequence.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

While Apsalar loving stuff up and making everyone within a mile of her poo poo themselves in terror at her mere presence owns a lot, I'm fine with where her action peaked. She basically completely and totally decimated the Claw by herself in a single night, surpassing even Cotillion when he was Dancer in doing so. She deservedly got the gently caress out after that and went to move on with her life, and Crokus realizing what a child he had been in admiring and emulating the things she did was a nice capstone on their story prior to their reunion in TCG. I think Erikson did well in moving Apsalar into the background when he did.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I agree completely.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

that part actually reminds me of a thing Eriksson likes to do that irritates the poo poo out of me. He always likes to have some character do something and everyone's like "oh my god I've never seen something that amazing happen even compared to insert super powerful character" and then in the next book it's surpassed by someone else, or hell if we want to nitpick even more sure Apsalar decimates the entire claw and holds off the hounds of the shadow and blah blah, but in the book before that she got easily taken down by some Tiste Edur but hey maybe we're not supposed to remember that because it was convenient for the plot to have Traveler show up and kick rear end and save everyone

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Maybe she gained a level between books? :shrug: Wasn't she supercharged by Cotillion for that final showdown against the Claw? Anyway, the Claw have a fearsome reputation but never seem to accomplish anything on the page aside from being mooks for the ultra-badass-assassin-de-jour to mow down.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Clark Nova posted:

Maybe she gained a level between books? :shrug: Wasn't she supercharged by Cotillion for that final showdown against the Claw? Anyway, the Claw have a fearsome reputation but never seem to accomplish anything on the page aside from being mooks for the ultra-badass-assassin-de-jour to mow down.

I don't think so, she supposedly always had those abilities, just needed the right plot moment to use them apparently . Besides, if she was, what was the point in being all googly-eyed about her shadow dancing "better than Dancer!" if he's the one that gave her the power to do it. And yeah the claw don't do a lot on screen but there's talk of how they were used before during military campaigns to assassinate an entire city/armies worth of mages to make the invasion easy

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

There's a big difference between getting your poo poo kicked in in a straight-up fight and poofing around a city backstabbing people who don't know you're there until they're already dead. It's pretty common for assassins in Erikson's books to not be all that when up against actual soldiers, Kalam being an exception 'cause he's just a bigass dude who rolls over people.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 31, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Levitate posted:

that part actually reminds me of a thing Eriksson likes to do that irritates the poo poo out of me. He always likes to have some character do something and everyone's like "oh my god I've never seen something that amazing happen even compared to insert super powerful character" and then in the next book it's surpassed by someone else, or hell if we want to nitpick even more sure Apsalar decimates the entire claw and holds off the hounds of the shadow and blah blah, but in the book before that she got easily taken down by some Tiste Edur but hey maybe we're not supposed to remember that because it was convenient for the plot to have Traveler show up and kick rear end and save everyone
Except thatat the time of that fight she was still struggling to figure herself out, and in the intervening time (years?) came to a better acceptance and understanding / mastery of her memories and abilities so I don't think that particular nitpick holds water.

The general concept...I don't know. The main story is all heading toward a giant convergence, so it's unreasonable for crazier and crazier things to happen. But at the same time, plenty of really crazy poo poo happened in the past that we never actually see and that surpasses a lot of the stuff we do experience. Eg: Icarium tearing down cities, Caladan Brood actually getting his hands dirty, the chainings, the forging of Dragnipur, etc.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Okay, after finishing the second book I waited like 3/4 of a year before picking up the next one. Turns out that was a big mistake because I forgot what all of the made up words mean. It took me ages to figure out that the Domin isn't the empire from the second book because they're on a different continent.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Oh Snapple! posted:

While Apsalar loving stuff up and making everyone within a mile of her poo poo themselves in terror at her mere presence owns a lot, I'm fine with where her action peaked. She basically completely and totally decimated the Claw by herself in a single night, surpassing even Cotillion when he was Dancer in doing so. She deservedly got the gently caress out after that and went to move on with her life, and Crokus realizing what a child he had been in admiring and emulating the things she did was a nice capstone on their story prior to their reunion in TCG. I think Erikson did well in moving Apsalar into the background when he did.

Yeah I don't think it was handled badly, just wishful thinking on my part.

But Crokus, man he's a pussy.

e: And hey, maybe we'll see Sorry in the Karsa books.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Bluedust posted:

Unlikely.

Crokus found her farming at the end of Crippled God.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Bluedust posted:

Yeah I don't think it was handled badly, just wishful thinking on my part.

But Crokus, man he's a pussy.

My only regret at the end of TtH is that Crokus didn't stick around for Man Lessons with Karsa.

Crokus ends up owning, anyway, though I'm enamored with him for killing Gorlas as unceremoniously as that piece of poo poo deserved.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 2, 2014

TheLordOfKraa
Jun 1, 2013

I've just started reading / listening to this series and it is very quickly becoming my favorite series of books. I've just started buying the kindle books now instead of waiting for each successive audio-book to come out.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I need to hurry up and finish this series so that I can go back reveal all of the spoiler tags. I'm on Reaper's Gale at the moment...

I'm really enjoying the series. My biggest gripe in terms of world-building is that all magical contests seem to devolve into whose energy blast is bigger than the other guy's. The occasional use of Mockra aside, there's nothing subtle about magic. I feel like a lot of potential for mysterious, insidious magic was left on the table largely unexplored and mostly ignored (e.g. candles, interactions with spirits and the undead).

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

I need to hurry up and finish this series so that I can go back reveal all of the spoiler tags. I'm on Reaper's Gale at the moment...

I'm really enjoying the series. My biggest gripe in terms of world-building is that all magical contests seem to devolve into whose energy blast is bigger than the other guy's. The occasional use of Mockra aside, there's nothing subtle about magic. I feel like a lot of potential for mysterious, insidious magic was left on the table largely unexplored and mostly ignored (e.g. candles, interactions with spirits and the undead).

I wouldn't say that's entirely true. One of the big things is that most people only tend to force fights that they think they will win so when an actual magical fight happens somebody tends to go down quickly, but a lot of magic is stuff like squad mages acting as communicators or traveling through warrens (especially shadow) or reading cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

I wouldn't say that's entirely true. One of the big things is that most people only tend to force fights that they think they will win so when an actual magical fight happens somebody tends to go down quickly, but a lot of magic is stuff like squad mages acting as communicators or traveling through warrens (especially shadow) or reading cards.

Yeah, on top of which (and off the top of my head) you have things like Bottle's mind-control, Iskaral Pust taking on Dejim Nebral largely through his ability to step in and out of Shadow, TCG relying precisely on non-energy-blast behind the scenes mischievery, Bottle and QB using dolls to predict events, etc.. etc.. Even something like Kuru Qan's stonewalling of the Warlock King/TCG - sure, it culminated in an energy blast waving contest, but Qan spent however long in an outwardly senile state while infusing a particular tile to allow him to channel the entire might of the Cedance.

And as far as

Ynglaur posted:

interactions with spirits and the undead

I mean - that's like half the series!