Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

When I was in Canada I was offered the choice of a 2013 200 or Camry. From the sound of things I made the right decision by choosing the Camry. The backup camera was certainly useful, that thing felt huge compared to the cars I'm used to driving, which is weird because my car is about the same size, but maybe it's just the unfamiliarity of it.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of recent rentals, the Mercedes C250 would be a great little car if it didn't have horribly overboosted steering or an automatic. I liked playing around with the little turbo 4 and I could tell that the chassis was capable, but it seemed like Merc decided to Nerf the effort the engineers put into the car. The main reason for getting rid of the auto, aside from the usual, would be that the transmission wasn't programmed to take into account the peaky output of the turbo 4, so the throttle was a bit of an on/off switch unless you played around with it to get it to hold gears and whatnot.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My fiance had a rental Hyundai Accent with 800 miles on it. It leaked oil.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

My fiance had a rental Hyundai Accent with 800 miles on it. It leaked oil.

Perhaps one Jeremy Clarkson was the previous renter?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
My girlfriend's '08 Prius with 135,000 miles drove better than her rental Kia Forte with 6,200.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The good news is that it's above freezing today so I won't have to drive the 200 home in that bullshit.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
When I was in Chicago, I had a rental Avenger with a bit under 700 miles... and a torn CV boot.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Last time I was in a rental I had the option between an Avenger and a Cube.

I took the Cube. Even though Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan, nothing can touch Chrysler proper.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Phone posted:

Last time I was in a rental I had the option between an Avenger and a Cube.

I took the Cube. Even though Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan, nothing can touch Chrysler proper.

Mitsubishi is the Chrysler of Japan :eng101:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

Might as well be the same company with all the rebadged Mitsubishi cars that have been sold under Chrysler brands.

Even though I loved the hell out of the mighty max I drove for a few years.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Octopus Magic posted:

Mitsubishi is the Peugeot of Japan

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Polymerized Cum posted:

Crap, Peugeot still sell cars.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Octopus Magic posted:

Polymerized Cum posted:

Same thing if you pick your period correctly.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I looked up the specs on this hunk of poo poo just out of boredom. It has 173hp at 6000rpm and 166lb/ft at 4000rpm. It's no wonder this thing feels slow as poo poo.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

wallaka posted:

It's a Sebring with a new shirt, what do you expect?

If there's one thing Chrysler is good at and that's how to repackage a loving platform. They put out about two dozen versions of the K-car for crying out loud. How many mutations of the 300 are there?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

veedubfreak posted:

I looked up the specs on this hunk of poo poo just out of boredom. It has 173hp at 6000rpm and 166lb/ft at 4000rpm. It's no wonder this thing feels slow as poo poo.

Before or after altitude correction? :)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

If it's anything like the Avenger I had as a rental a few weeks ago it's also mated to a shittastic four-speed autobox.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
170 hp/tq is a pretty respectable number for an NA 4-banger. I'm also going to go with the 'shittastic 4-speed slushbox' theory. Regardless of miles, if it's a rental that ATF will be totally roasted, too.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Previa_fun posted:

If it's anything like the Avenger I had as a rental a few weeks ago it's also mated to a shittastic four-speed autobox.

Oh man, don't tell me they're still selling cars with the loving 41TE in them.

fake edit: They are (the 41TES). Goddammit, Chrysler.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Nocheez posted:

The 200 is by far the worst "new" car I ever drove. Slow, terrible on gas, poorly made and poorly thought out. God, what a poo poo pile.

Hey now. Eminem promoted this car, it HAS to be good!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

Oh man, don't tell me they're still selling cars with the loving 41TE in them.

fake edit: They are (the 41TES). Goddammit, Chrysler.

Chrysler is like that drug-addict relative you have and every story you hear about him just makes you shake your head in disappointment.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Is that the Chrysler transmission that makes the ridiculous clicking noise that sounds like a blender without the pitcher installed correctly?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Polymerized Cum posted:

Is that the Chrysler transmission that makes the ridiculous clicking noise that sounds like a blender without the pitcher installed correctly?

I think thats the A604 and its kin. I love that solenoid clicky sound when cars with them come to a stop.

*click bzzzzzzzt*

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Slavvy posted:

Chrysler is like that drug-addict relative you have and every story you hear about him just makes you shake your head in disappointment.

I recently got a rental while away on business and was randomly upgraded to a new Chrysler 300. It was a base model but it pushed 300 horses and was fun as hell to slab down the streets. Sounds like Chrysler focused completely on the 300 while ignoring the rest because that's an awesome car.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Toymachine posted:

Sounds like Chrysler focused completely on the 300 while ignoring the rest because that's an awesome car.

Until you consider that even when new it was based on a 15 year old Mercedes platform Chrysler got their hands on by virtue of being owned by Diamler. Pretty much all "improvements" made to it since have essentially been sheet metal in nature.

See also - it's not that hard to make a car that goes fast in a straight line.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

If we're gonna bitch about rentals...

Rental Penske box truck. Picked it up basically brand loving new - less than 100 miles on it. Check engine light popped on about 300 miles into the move... then started flashing a bit later. The cloud of black smoke behind it (after the CEL popped on) was pretty epic. Penske sent me to a big truck shop in Midland - they took one look under the hood and laughed, they flat out said they didn't know the first thing about gasoline engines. They reset the ECU and sent me on my way, and told me if he came back on, call Penske and tell them to send me someplace that knew how gasoline engines worked. :haw: Drove fine for the remainder of the trip. :iiam: This was in mid 1997 - the truck was an early 98 Chevy/GMC van cutaway chassis.

My last non-hourly rental was from Budget in 2010 - it was a 2008 Cobalt 1LT with about 25k. Bald tires, overheated if you sneezed with the a/c on, and even by econobox GM standards, the DBW was horrible. The engine was decent, but the trans would take up to 3 seconds to downshift after you shoved the throttle through the firewall (this nearly got me rearended when I changed lanes in rush hour traffic more than once), then upshifted just as the engine started making anything resembling power. I currently own the Saturn version of this car (2006 Ion, same 2.2L Ecotec, same chassis) with a manual; I would willingly kill myself if it had the same auto, but it's actually reasonable to drive with the 5 speed.

My last loaner car was actually pleasant in terms of actual driving - 2010 Malibu LS with about 20k. It was ugly, it smelled like a combination of "dead grandma" and "perfume factory exploded" (judging by the hand painted pinstripes, I'm going to go with the former), the interior fit and finish was worse than my Saturn (and even worse than Das Volk's last Corvette)... and being the base LS, it had a 4 speed auto instead of the newer 6 speed auto. But the brakes were fantastic, handling was good for such a big car, and the power was downright respectable. I expected to see a small V6 when I opened the hood, not the 2.4 Ecotec. It also downshifted pretty much immediately if you glanced at the throttle, instead of the Cobalt's "oh, I see you've shoved my throttle to the floor... :sigh: fine, ok, I'm going to think about downshifting. I see the throttle is still at WOT, it's been a couple of seconds. :wtf: FINE rear end in a top hat, I'll drop into 3rd... oh, still floored? okay, I'll drop into 2nd.. gently caress man, you still have the pedal on the floor? :mad: gently caress YOU, ASSFUCK, I'LL DROP INTO 1ST WHEN I'M drat GOOD AND READY :fuckoff: "

I've had some hourly rentals in the past couple of years (Hertz' version of ZipCar), the only one that tried to kill me was an 08 Malibu (same super laggy pissy transmission behavior as the 07 Cobalt, but worse since it was a heavier car). I usually wound up in a Cruze LT; that tiny 1.4 + turbo combo winds up being a lot of fun.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 29, 2014

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Geoj posted:

Until you consider that even when new it was based on a 15 year old Mercedes platform Chrysler got their hands on by virtue of being owned by Diamler.

:rolleyes: No it wasn't. Some of the suspension components were based on E-class tooling. And even doing that required reworking the platform mildly to accommodate it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Saying that also makes it seem as if the only things chrysler do right (and they are few) are down to MB rubbing off on them during the merger. When in reality MB poached anyone worth having from chrysler, completely decimated their R&D department and pretty much raped chrysler's wife and burned down chrysler's mud hut. The reason they perpetually suck after the split is because they were left with all the dead weight, personnel-wise.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Had a guy brag to me last night about how he had replaced the passenger side (like, the B pillar, C pillar and floor pan) of his mothers car after she was T-boned using only an oxy torch and wire coat hangers as welding tools. Favorite bit: "yyeap, yah gotta pull up on the rear door a bit to get it to latch but otherwise it looks like nothin happened" :catstare: :gonk: I share the road with this abomination.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

I share the road with this abomination.

Only until the next accident the car is in, anyways.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Terrible Robot posted:

Had a guy brag to me last night about how he had replaced the passenger side (like, the B pillar, C pillar and floor pan) of his mothers car after she was T-boned using only an oxy torch and wire coat hangers as welding tools. Favorite bit: "yyeap, yah gotta pull up on the rear door a bit to get it to latch but otherwise it looks like nothin happened" :catstare: :gonk: I share the road with this abomination.

To be completely fair, she might have been a lousy mother and he doesn't like her?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

8ender posted:

I think thats the A604 and its kin. I love that solenoid clicky sound when cars with them come to a stop.

*click bzzzzzzzt*

So that's what the noise is. I thought it had a bad CV joint. Only 2 more days of this shitpile. It also sucks down gas like that's its loving job. The assholes at Enterprise gave me the car at 1/4 tank and after the 10 mile drive home and 18 mile drive to work it was sitting on E already.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Gas gauges only have to be mildly accurate at full and empty and the gradations in between mean nothing, usually. They are generally somewhat repeatable - at least until most of the fingers on the sender board get coated in gasoline varnish.

So that last "1/4 tank" may well be 1/8 of a tank or less, depending on the design of the sending unit and whether the engineers cared enough to actually compensate/trim the value from the sending unit before displaying it on the gauge.

The worst rental vehicle I ever got was an automatic KIA Soul. Couldn't stand that thing, it had next to no throttle response unless you really romped on it, blind spots the size of Texas due to the giant A-pillars everyone puts on everything these days, etc.

Second worst was a Suburban, but it only really pissed me off because it had stereotypically horrible GM DBW that took a decade to realize I had touched the pedal. Driving it everywhere with my foot on the floor helped. :getin:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

So that's what the noise is. I thought it had a bad CV joint. Only 2 more days of this shitpile. It also sucks down gas like that's its loving job. The assholes at Enterprise gave me the car at 1/4 tank and after the 10 mile drive home and 18 mile drive to work it was sitting on E already.

I can echo this, took a rental 4-banger 200 with maybe 4,000 miles on it from Albany > Cleveland > Albany and got an abysmal 21mpg ...cruising at 75mph. I hesitate to say cruising because the thing did NOT want to be pushed that hard, it felt and sounded like I was wringing its neck with my foot at >3/4 throttle to maintain my speed for the entire trip. Try to accelerate from 70 to 75 in under ten seconds? You bet that transmission is gonna kick down. I know the 6-cylinder would have been better suited to the car, but I had no idea a brand-new car of any spec could be so abysmal in twenty-freaking-twelve.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Geoj posted:

Until you consider that even when new it was based on a 15 year old Mercedes platform Chrysler got their hands on by virtue of being owned by Diamler. Pretty much all "improvements" made to it since have essentially been sheet metal in nature.

Jesus, I wish this bullshit would die.

THE LX IS NOT BASED ON A loving MERCEDES. It does use some mercedes derived parts, like the 5-link rear suspension.

The LX platform was nearly finished before Mercedes entered the picture. The first cars were actually delayed almost 2 years after the "merger" happened because Daimler made Chrysler incorporate some mercedes parts into the platform. This is why we got an extra year of the really outdated by that time Intrepid, and ended up with the Magnum first instead of the 300c.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Maybe you've forgotten, guys talking about gas, but I get 10mpg. Dont talk about abysmal fuel economy around this guy. I dream of 15mpg...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Well I stand corrected, I could have sworn I read a well-sourced article stating it used a modified E-Class chassis a few years ago.

My points that since releasing it all they've done to it are sheet metal/cosmetic changes and any idiot can design a "goes fast in a straight line" car still stand though...

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Slavvy posted:

Saying that also makes it seem as if the only things chrysler do right (and they are few) are down to MB rubbing off on them during the merger. When in reality MB poached anyone worth having from chrysler, completely decimated their R&D department and pretty much raped chrysler's wife and burned down chrysler's mud hut. The reason they perpetually suck after the split is because they were left with all the dead weight, personnel-wise.

This is true. Daimler sucked what little life was left in Chrysler, then graciously "gave" Chrysler all their old part lines.

Edit: Also, look at how spoiled we are these days. I took a 2000 mile round trip in my 2013 Elantra and got 30mpg the entire trip. Even with that, I felt it was a pig for gas. LOL. Beats my 9mpg Cherokee, but I'm still not satisfied.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 29, 2014

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
As with most places in North America, we've been getting a lot of hosed up weather this winter, where I live the average temp in January is around -10. On Friday and Saturday it was +8 and really sunny which resulted in a ton of snow melting and then the temperature dropped 20 degrees Saturday night to -12 for a couple days. I walked passed this truck this morning, all 4 wheels were stuck in the ice like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What are the odds Jimmy climbs into the truck with the idea of breaking free by putting the thing in gear and dropping the hammer?