Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Slow Motion posted:

If I accepted a significant pay cut (think salaried at 60k) though I would not have to be out of work for more than a couple weeks.

I'd get this idea out of your head pretty quick.

Everyone thinks this, and it rarely happens as easily as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Slow Motion posted:

200 aint gonna happen :(.

Hearing that wake up call yet? Maybe 10 hour days aren't sustainable, why can't you just target 8 hours a day like most working people? Is your firm so cutthroat that only working 40 hours a week isn't enough?

Maybe you'd be happier in a career with less pressure, it sounds exhausting. All this work stress contributes directly towards your desire to baller it up constantly, because you feel that you've earned it by working so hard.

You need to re-evaluate your life. You've convinced yourself that you have your poo poo together and that you're on your way to being CEO, but honestly you sound deeply unhappy and depressed.

Have you had an actual relationship with anyone since your ex-wife or have they all been one night stands or brief flings? Is there anyone in your life who's looking out for your wellbeing besides yourself?

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 29, 2014

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Rudager posted:

I'd get this idea out of your head pretty quick.

Everyone thinks this, and it rarely happens as easily as that.

He probably has recruiters calling him all the time. Most people that work in this industry could easily have a job by the time the ink dries on his pink slip. But, emergency fund is still important in case he gets hit by some hipster darting his fixie on and off the sidewalk and can't work for a few months.

E: 10 billable hour days are totally doable for long periods of time. You don't have a wife to nag you for not coming home until late, bang those 10 billables out, kid.

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 29, 2014

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Slow Motion posted:

Edit - I forgot that I don't have this weekend to bill this month. 200 aint gonna happen :(.

Whoopsie.

Don't forget that February is a slightly shorter month when thinking about next month's billables. This is why things like reality rather than just random lofty goals are good to keep in mind when coming up with your numbers.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slow Motion posted:

I would like an emergency fund. That was actually my number one concern with taking out the 401k loan; it reduces my available 'poo poo-hit-the-fan' money. Besides that my emergency management plan is temporarily reliant on credit (above the 3k I try to keep under my checking account at all times).

I could not find a better or similar paying job to my current one. For my skills and experience this is as good as it gets in Seattle. If I accepted a significant pay cut (think salaried at 60k) though I would not have to be out of work for more than a couple weeks.

My plan is to worry about emergency funds after I'm out of credit card debt (though while still servicing my 401k loan). If you have an idea about better emergency planning I'm all ears.

This is why we keep harping on you about the apartment. If poo poo hit the fan and you had an apartment at half the rent, you are way better off with whatever emergency fund you hopefully have.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

He was never going to get to 200 hours this month. Only worked one weekend and averages 7.5 hours per working day (18 days so far not counting weekends this month with 135 hours total). Which means 30 more hours this week fora total of 165 hours. Very respectable and will put him on a path out of debt and to one of not getting fired.

Next month 200 is unlikely as well. 20 working days instead of 22 and the first weekend is seahawks. So based on the trend for January he will hit 150 hours. A solid month and I would say a solid minimum goal.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Hearing that wake up call yet? Maybe 10 hour days aren't sustainable, why can't you just target 8 hours a day like most working people? Is your firm so cutthroat that only working 40 hours a week isn't enough?

You need to pay more attention instead of just chiming in like you have something important to contribute. 8 billable hours are different than 8 hours at work. This has been answered multiple times and anyone that blows anything about finance understands this.

Go back to your amazon shopping and leave your inane comments to yourself. You are not being helpful and are casting yourself in a very negative way.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
No one spends their 40 hour work week working for 40 hours. I mean, we all most in this thread, no?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^yup, at work ten hours a day. Maybe actually work 8 with lunch, breaks, and BSing. As long as I get my work done no one cares.

something clever posted:

You need to pay more attention instead of just chiming in like you have something important to contribute. 8 billable hours are different than 8 hours at work. This has been answered multiple times and anyone that blows anything about finance understands this.

Go back to your amazon shopping and leave your inane comments to yourself. You are not being helpful and are casting yourself in a very negative way.

I thought we ask just skim read his posts to see if he bought more cookware or weed.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 29, 2014

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Besides, didn't SloMo say he was targeting 7 billable hours, but would shoot higher for 10? Hell, I'm just proud he worked hours over the weekend. Keep going, SloMo!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I'm looking forward to the January report. A bunch of immediate stressors were removed, SloMo had a chance to cast some of his future achievements in terms of New Year's goals, he had some solid one-month goals to achieve, and now he gets to create some new goals based on that. He has a new chunk of 401k loan money coming soon, so when we get around to Thursday, February 6, he'll probably be able to tell us how much he plans to spend that weekend in addition to demonstrating how the loan reduced his interest payments.

I'd even give good odds related to a graph showing his expected debt payoff period and total monies lost to interest, relative to his weekly average billable hours.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

spwrozek posted:

Next month 200 is unlikely as well. 20 working days instead of 22 and the first weekend is seahawks. So based on the trend for January he will hit 150 hours. A solid month and I would say a solid minimum goal.

Just out of curiosity, where are you getting your benchmark from and the idea that 150 hours is a "solid month"? I'm not familiar with the finance industry so I can't say for sure, but I know that 150-160 hours per month will leave you at between 1800 - 2000 hours billed for the year, which in some billable industries would be considered quite poor, as 2000 is usually a minimum benchmark for the year. Again, I'm not familiar with what the average finance professional bills so if that is a high number for the industry, okay, I just know that in many billable fields, it would not be considered solid.

HooKars fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 29, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm also looking forward to the photoshoot with kitchenware.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Have you had an actual relationship with anyone since your ex-wife or have they all been one night stands or brief flings? Is there anyone in your life who's looking out for your wellbeing besides yourself?

Having people who care about you is good, but by no means should he be in a serious relationship right now. He's only been separated a few months. Hell, he's only been divorced for a week.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HooKars posted:

Just out of curiosity, where are you getting your benchmark from and the idea that 150 hours is a "solid month"? I'm not familiar with the finance industry so I can't say for sure, but I know that 150-160 hours per month will leave you at between 1800 - 2000 hours billed for the year, which in some billable industries would be considered quite poor, as 2000 is usually a minimum benchmark for the year. Again, I'm not familiar with what the average finance professional bills so if that is a high number for the industry, okay, I just know that in many billable fields, it would not be considered solid.

I think it depends on the firm but it sounds like at his place he can only bill productive hours. If you consider a year of work 2080 hours, 4 weeks vacation (160 hours), 7 holidays (56 hours), you end up at 1864 hours to bill. Most places I have worked (engineering not finance) shoot for a 90% utilization rate for the plebs doing the work. Which leaves you with 1678 hours to bill. That means you would need to bill 7.2 hours a day to reach that goal.

Slow mo minimum is 108 a month or 1296 a year. So he only has to bill 5.5 hours a day to meet the min with no bonus. What does he need to do to not get fired I don't know.

February is a short month (2 days less than the 22 working day average typically used) so 150 vs 165. Which I would think is OK, but it might be considered terrible.

7.5 hour days is 1750 billable hours if you use 233 working days a year.

It seems like a good pace but ultimately it depends on the firm and how the bosses are. For reference the firm I was at during the recession was at 63% utilization for most of 2009-10 (luckily I had plenty of work).

E: 90% utilization came from the fact we had staff meetings, training, non billable client meetings etc. Unless you just crunch numbers all day 100% utilization is hard (unless you are expected to work 9 or 10 hour days)

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 29, 2014

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
Edit^^^^
We don't measure this 'utilization' at all. It's hours billed directly to clients and then the profits split with the firm. There's a little tom-foolery about getting pre-tax benefits and a consistent salary but it evens out to me being pretty much hourly with a project by project reimbursement.

HooKars posted:

Which fields are you familiar with? I've worked in finance and law and maintain friendships throughout. 2000 is considered a successful year outside of a few law firms. And those firms associates have a reputation for outright lying about hours.

Anne Whateley posted:

Alright. I'm on it. I have no Le Creuset, just the All-Clad sauce pan and Wusthof that somebody told Wampa to buy. I like them pretty well.

Slow Motion fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 29, 2014

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

spwrozek posted:

I thought we just skim read his posts to see if he bought more cookware or weed.

No more weed, but I did buy a few small cookware items. Came in exactly at my budget for the month!

Inept posted:

Having people who care about you is good, but by no means should he be in a serious relationship right now. He's only been separated a few months. Hell, he's only been divorced for a week.

That's a good point, but all the one-night stands are probably contributing to his depression a bit. It's important to look for a deeper connection, or at least be open to the possibility.

something clever posted:

If you don't care for my posts, feel free to ignore them. I'm not talking to you anyway.

Slow Motion posted:

Alright. I'm on it. I have no Le Creuset, just the All-Clad sauce pan and Wusthof that somebody told Wampa to buy. I like them pretty well.

What exactly do you like about the All-Clad compared to a more "normal" sauce pan? I'm honestly curious.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

spwrozek posted:

I think it depends on the firm but it sounds like at his place he can only bill productive hours.

I'm aware of this.

Slow Motion posted:

Which fields are you familiar with? I've worked in finance and law and maintain friendships throughout. 2000 is considered a successful year outside of a few law firms. And those firms associates have a reputation for outright lying about hours.

Large law firms where 1800-1900 billed hours is considered the absolute minimum and 2000 is considered "target" but would often not be stand out enough to allow you to continue up the ranks to partner, for example). Obviously, it depends on the firm and industry, which is why I was curious as to whether 1800 would be considered solid in comparison to your peers and other people who work for your firm, or if there are even those types of minimums/targets in your profession that are used as a basis for continued employment or promotions.

HooKars fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 29, 2014

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

WampaLord posted:

If you don't care for my posts, feel free to ignore them. I'm not talking to you anyway.

It is totally reasonable to expect you to you know, read the thread before you post.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

HooKars posted:

In financial consulting, the industry standard is 1700 - 1800 minimum billable hours for a staff level. A lot of client work is non billable. This generally reflects a 50-60 hour work week on average. You lose a lot of hours between trainings, meetings, client prospecting, etc.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HooKars posted:

I'm aware of this.

Sorry I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. Just telling you how it worked at the engineering firms I worked at.

April
Jul 3, 2006

WampaLord posted:

No more weed, but I did buy a few small cookware items. Came in exactly at my budget for the month!

That's a good point, but all the one-night stands are probably contributing to his depression a bit. It's important to look for a deeper connection, or at least be open to the possibility.

What exactly do you like about the All-Clad compared to a more "normal" sauce pan? I'm honestly curious.

"Guys, I know this is SloMo's thread, but can we please just talk about me?"

Slomo, I agree that you're not in a good place for a romantic relationship right now, but what about other relationships? Do you have friends you can hang out with and genuinely confide in, or is it all just baller partying stuff?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

None of this is helping Slomo or relevant to the conversation. Please make your own thread

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

All-clads are clad 18/10 stainless steel, which by virtue of the material is pretty much the gold standard for pans. They gain heat quickly, lose it slowly, and distribute it fairly evenly across whatever you're cooking. Also you can just shove 'em into the oven or dishwasher. All-clad in particular makes really nice pans with sturdy riveted construction and lifetime warranty and poo poo.

That said, they're like three times the price of a Tramontina or twice the price of a Cusinart, and not really significantly better than either from what I've heard.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
SloMo - What's the avg billed hours by your peers? I forget, I think you said it before but I forget... You've had a really solid month compared to your past recent months.

Reiterpallasch posted:

All-clads are clad 18/10 stainless steel, which by virtue of the material is pretty much the gold standard for pans. They gain heat quickly, lose it slowly, and distribute it fairly evenly across whatever you're cooking. Also you can just shove 'em into the oven or dishwasher. All-clad in particular makes really nice pans with sturdy riveted construction and lifetime warranty and poo poo.
Interesting, I wonder when they made them 'dishwasher safe', in the early 2000's (01-02 maybe) my folks had a pot crack down the side. The only thing AllClad said would void the warranty would be using the dishwasher on them. Now I see Allclad recommends dishwashing upon purchase. Nifty! Thanks for the info.

BTW, AllClad > *. I'm a poor so I have Kitchen Aid and Ikea. Nice enough, but not AllClad. Thankfully they solve my desire for AllClad too!

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Just cook everything in an iron skillet.
$20 and you're set for life.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
I like All-Clad for the sturdiness and the heat distribution.

I eat a lot of eggs. Trying to fry proper eggs on my current electric range sucks fat dicks with most pans. The copper core All-Clad is hand and fist above every other pan I've tried for that task in particular.

Friend chat: I have several close friends and confidants. My best friend did just run away to China to teach English at the beginning of December. I don't think I've been depressed since the few months at the beginning of the year leading up to divorce.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

$2k a month doesn't even get you a gas range? Ouch. Cooking on electric is so terrible.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah it's one of those silly ceramic top ranges so popular with new apartments these days.

Anne Whateley posted:

Slow Motion Delivers.

WampaLord I'm not going to respond to anything you post until match my photo.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

HooKars posted:

I'm aware of this.

Large law firms where 1800-1900 billed hours is considered the absolute minimum and 2000 is considered "target" but would often not be stand out enough to allow you to continue up the ranks to partner, for example). Obviously, it depends on the firm and industry, which is why I was curious as to whether 1800 would be considered solid in comparison to your peers and other people who work for your firm, or if there are even those types of minimums/targets in your profession that are used as a basis for continued employment or promotions.

S&O at deloitte is 85-90% for staff. That is 1768 to 1872 hours.

Vomik fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 29, 2014

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Welp. We'll always have that, Slomo. We'll always have that.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Here I thought only Neanderthals had enlarged brain pans.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I was told there'd be Wusthof :colbert:

Do you really make your eggs in a saucepan?

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I was told there'd be Wusthof :colbert:

Do you really make your eggs in a saucepan?

I use a fry pan for eggs. But a fry pan on my head would just look silly.

Wusthof in my mouth.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Slow Motion posted:

Yeah it's one of those silly ceramic top ranges so popular with new apartments these days.

Slow Motion Delivers.

Shirtless pic in every post~~

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If it's not sunny-side, it's scrambled. And if it's scrambled it'd drat well better be made in a saucepan to be done properly. :colbert:

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Oh dear God no. I've seen too many threads derailed by egg discussions. HITLER HITLER HITLER.

Eggs are like assholes. Everybody has an opinion about what to put in them.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

spwrozek posted:

$2k a month doesn't even get you a gas range? Ouch. Cooking on electric is so terrible.
Electric isn't the worst once you're used to it, but gas is much better. It seems rather rare in most apartments I've looked at, though. (Although I'm not looking at baller apartments)

Old Fart posted:

Oh dear God no. I've seen too many threads derailed by egg discussions. HITLER HITLER HITLER.

Eggs are like assholes. Everybody has an opinion about what to put in them.
How about a more neutral topic, like how to cook a steak or whether chili is allowed to have beans/noodles? :v:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Haifisch posted:

Electric isn't the worst once you're used to it, but gas is much better. It seems rather rare in most apartments I've looked at, though. (Although I'm not looking at baller apartments)

How about a more neutral topic, like how to cook a steak or whether chili is allowed to have beans/noodles? :v:
Gas seems like a lot more risk for the landlord. I am a very amateur cook, but I have no problem with electrics. Glass top, of course. I fricking hate the coil electric in my apartment, its such a POS, but it does cook everything just fine... I miss my folks professional grade (Wolf? poo poo. Name escapes me ATM) 6 burner with pilots, or their other 5 burner glass top. Those are nice ranges.

I'm a fan of chili with beans and noodles. Delicious. I use air quotes when calling it chili though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Slow Motion posted:

Slow Motion Delivers.

You're in pretty good shape, bro. Congrats.

• Locked thread