Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Remember, the flu season dance is about awareness, not celebration. You don't bring dead babies to Passover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Hazo posted:

What the gently caress is going on with the photo in the linked interview

Dan Harmon is just turning into a Chronenberg. No big deal.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Seriously though this loving show. I was expecting them to resolve the potion part of the show within that narrative. As crazy and hosed as that was it would have been funny to see mobs constantly chasing him, this show doesn't do your usual vanilla zombie poo poo so that would have been interesting and then they went full hosed up with the body horror stuff and instead of returning everyone save for the people Jerry shotgunned, it just threw the baby out with the bathwater. This loving show does not care what you want to happen.

My only problem with the state of things is now we're going to constantly question if this universe is "canon" or not and this isn't even the drat inception episode!

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Alan Smithee posted:

My only problem with the state of things is now we're going to constantly question if this universe is "canon" or not and this isn't even the drat inception episode!

Don't Think About It.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Don't Think About It.

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
I just love the casual and widespread use of the word Chronenberg as a noun and a verb.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Useless Shotgun posted:

I just love the casual and widespread use of the word Chronenberg as a noun and a verb.

I hope Cronenberg gets to see it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I can see why that episode was originally scheduled as the 2nd. It seems like a thesis statement for Rick's character. The universe is arbitrary and cruel, and he just tries not to think about it too much.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PostNouveau posted:

I can see why that episode was originally scheduled as the 2nd. It seems like a thesis statement for Rick's character. The universe is arbitrary and cruel, and he just tries not to think about it too much.

Of course by "Not thinking about it" it he causes the universe to become an even worse place. His refusal to consider the consequences of his actions is the cause of almost every awful thing that happens on the show, but I guess that's kind of the point.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I know I'm going to be alone here, but my favorite part of this show so far is when his math teacher is watching the stupid TV show before they 'incept' him. 'You don't know me.' 'Nice Mrs. Pancakes, real nice.' Wheat thins? I'll take two.

It's the small things.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked how their principal was on the PA early in the episode announcing the Flu Season dance reminding people not to go to the dance if they actually have the flu.

Words Of Mice
Apr 30, 2013
Does anyone else remember the episode of futurama where Fry, the Prof, and Bender travel forward in time until the universe resets itself, and then the time machine lands and kills their past selves, and they just took their other selves' place? Yeah that really bothered me, but no one seemed to care. Leela is now in love with a completely different Fry than before!

This episode of Rick and Morty finally gave me closure, and taught me a valuable lesson on analyzing science fiction cartoons. Don't think about it.

Thanks Rick and Morty!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Same thing happens to Harry Kim in Voyager AND Chief O'Brien in DS9.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ariza posted:

I know I'm going to be alone here, but my favorite part of this show so far is when his math teacher is watching the stupid TV show before they 'incept' him. 'You don't know me.' 'Nice Mrs. Pancakes, real nice.' Wheat thins? I'll take two.

It's the small things.

"Nice to wheat you!"

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

muscles like this? posted:

I liked how their principal was on the PA early in the episode announcing the Flu Season dance reminding people not to go to the dance if they actually have the flu.

"You don't bring dead babies to Passover."

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I liked that Cronenberg-Rick and Cronenberg-Morty still referred to themselves a such despite being from a world where being one was normal, and referred to a never-before-seen genetic anomaly as "normal people just walking around."

In that universe Cronenberg directs very simple movies that display the brutal simplicity of humanity.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Does Cronenberg even do body horror anymore? Last one was like Existenz and I still need to watch that

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Keep in mind it also doesn't go with the character development Rick gets last episode either, when he determines that "it is important to clean up the universe"

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Alan Smithee posted:

Does Cronenberg even do body horror anymore? Last one was like Existenz and I still need to watch that

eXistenZ owns. Its got a lot of similar themes to Videodrome and its more relevant now than when it was released in 1999.

You should really check it out, its up on netflix instant.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BexGu posted:

Its just good to know that some where, some how, Jerry is not a total loser at something.

I loved his terrible action hero dialogue. "I'm Mr. Crowbar and this is my friend, who is also a crowbar."

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Don't Think About It.

This should really be the new thread title.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

TwoPair posted:

This should really be the new thread title.

Seconding this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jerry is skinny Homer Griffin. And only once (getting fired) has things not worked out for him in the end relatively speaking. I enjoy the antics but yeah not exactly groundbreaking character

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

This man is an idiot, Cronenberg Rick and Morty was an amazing gag.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

eXistenz is an interesting and troubled film. Lots of fun stuff, a lot of garbage.

Sounds like his son is taking over the family body horror business, just check out Antiviral.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
We are now in true mad science territory. This show takes every philosophical extreme and shows the darkest part of the path.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

George posted:

We are now in true mad science territory. This show takes every philosophical extreme and shows the darkest part of the path.

Next episode: "What if hamburgers...eat people?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I kinda want my fan art to become an episode. I never draw fan art for wish fulfillment...but I want Rick and Morty to take on an Alien-esq creature. I just want to see where they'd go with the concept. :v:

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 29, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I kinda want my fan art becomes an episode. I never draw fan art for wish fulfillment...but I want Rick and Morty to take on an Alien-esq creature. I just want to see where they'd go with the concept. :v:

I feel like aliens in the xenomorph sense are pretty vanilla. They have to make you question the ethical/moral nature of Rick messing with them

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That would be brilliant. I've always liked well done Alien references, and I think this show could pull it off perfectly without hitting the cliches.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Rick accidentally releases a population of Ewok-like creatures into his universe which start to breed out of control and become an invasive species. To fix this he releases xenomorphs to hunt and kill the Ewoks. But then the xenomorphs get out of hand so he has to introduce Predator creatures to cull them down. Eventually the Predators become a problem too, so he creates an army of Terminators to search and destroy them...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I guess mankind is the most dangerous game after all

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

feedmyleg posted:

eXistenz is an interesting and troubled film. Lots of fun stuff, a lot of garbage.

DEATH TO THE DEMON FEEDMYLEG!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Anony Mouse posted:

Rick accidentally releases a population of Ewok-like creatures into his universe which start to breed out of control and become an invasive species. To fix this he releases xenomorphs to hunt and kill the Ewoks. But then the xenomorphs get out of hand so he has to introduce Predator creatures to cull them down. Eventually the Predators become a problem too, so he creates an army of Terminators to search and destroy them...
Yeah, I'd be down for all of this. Hahah.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Words Of Mice posted:

Does anyone else remember the episode of futurama where Fry, the Prof, and Bender travel forward in time until the universe resets itself, and then the time machine lands and kills their past selves, and they just took their other selves' place? Yeah that really bothered me, but no one seemed to care. Leela is now in love with a completely different Fry than before!

This episode of Rick and Morty finally gave me closure, and taught me a valuable lesson on analyzing science fiction cartoons. Don't think about it.

Thanks Rick and Morty!
I was hoping I wouldn't be the one who had to post this and I was very happy to see that you did instead. And yes, I too was infinitely bothered by the fact that everything after that episode was essentially a new universe. And yes, just like you, Rick and Morty taught me to just not think about it. Canon in cartoons doesn't matter.

Plus I watched enough Futurama on Adult Swim to catch a lot of continuity errors anyway, so canon should have been dead to me before that episode aired.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

eXistenZ owns. Its got a lot of similar themes to Videodrome and its more relevant now than when it was released in 1999.

Oh dear god yes. A friend of mine's a huge Cronenberg fan and said it was hilariously terrible, but it's great. I can't imagine something like that getting made in 1999. I legitimately thought it came out in like 2006 until I saw your post.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
What were those weird backpack things Rick and Morty carried?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Affi posted:

What were those weird backpack things Rick and Morty carried?

Don't think about it.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I think it's interesting that Phil Hendrie does the voice of the Principal in his natural speaking voice, since he's know for doing different voice characters on the radio.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

MattO posted:

I think it's interesting that Phil Hendrie does the voice of the Principal in his natural speaking voice, since he's know for doing different voice characters on the radio.

His regular voice is pretty awesome though. Also I have to say the voice acting talent in this show is just top notch. Maurice Lamarche and Rob Paulson alone make it for me. I think I also heard Tom Kenny and Billy West as well or I could have imagined those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

quote:

Community creator Dan Harmon's new series, the animated Adult Swim sci-fi comedy Rick and Morty, has been renewed for a second season. Adult Swim has yet to confirm the renewal, but one of the writers who was added for Season 2, Matt Roller (Community), posted a picture of the show's Season 2 writing staff on Twitter earlier this week that has since been removed. There's no word on how many episodes the new season will be.
http://splitsider.com/2014/01/adult-swim-renews-rick-and-morty-for-season-2/

• Locked thread