Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

sebmojo posted:

Cheers.

(Gonna do an askmefi on it).

Hah, this'll be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Hah, this'll be good.

Oh I get it, it's the board, he looks like that. He's an Atari monster like the Mooninites!

..or something. Maybe it's from some old 2600 game? Depending on how I look at it, it either looks like some black dragon head/skull thing or something with crab hands.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Props to the goon(s) who predicted that Geoff was secretly selling Ian out, I wasn't ready to believe that.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My group in HS was DMed buy this tiny theater twink and one of the long standing members was a very stereotypical comic book guy style nerd. You know, tall, fat, greasy, no social skills. He always wanted to play bards despite the fact that our DM harshly enforced that players have to make a convincing RP of bluffing/diplomacy, not just roll dice. So there were a lot of really awful "diplomacy" checks. One time we were imprisoned and managed to escape our cells. The bard begged us to let him try to disguise himself and talk us out, which we acquiesced to grudgingly. He then goes upstairs and talks to the guard.

He did amazing. Asking leading questions, inferring and small talking, buttering the guy up. He made like 4 high rolls but the thing that surprised everyone was that he was effectively role playing a social skill, when previous efforts would have needed a HASMAT team to clean them up. He's won the guard over, offered to take his shift. The guard begins to leave, saying "OK, be sure not to disturb the party in the Atrium.

"No worries man, we won't."

"WE?"

:gonk: ... "I Jack him in the face!"

Was amazing.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

TunaSpleen posted:

Props to the goon(s) who predicted that Geoff was secretly selling Ian out, I wasn't ready to believe that.

You're welcome. :tipshat:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

So, did Geoff get that last sending off or not? I feel like that could affect things quite a bit.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pope Guilty posted:

Hah, this'll be good.

I think the point about eyes is possibly a good one, that eyes aren't mentioned in the strip but are in the Go rule. But it's probably just a picture of his head, which doesn't help too much (it's... head shaped?)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Eifert Posting posted:

My group in HS was DMed buy this tiny theater twink and one of the long standing members was a very stereotypical comic book guy style nerd. You know, tall, fat, greasy, no social skills. He always wanted to play bards despite the fact that our DM harshly enforced that players have to make a convincing RP of bluffing/diplomacy, not just roll dice. So there were a lot of really awful "diplomacy" checks. One time we were imprisoned and managed to escape our cells. The bard begged us to let him try to disguise himself and talk us out, which we acquiesced to grudgingly. He then goes upstairs and talks to the guard.

He did amazing. Asking leading questions, inferring and small talking, buttering the guy up. He made like 4 high rolls but the thing that surprised everyone was that he was effectively role playing a social skill, when previous efforts would have needed a HASMAT team to clean them up. He's won the guard over, offered to take his shift. The guard begins to leave, saying "OK, be sure not to disturb the party in the Atrium.

"No worries man, we won't."

"WE?"

:gonk: ... "I Jack him in the face!"

Was amazing.

Its amazing how us nerds and geeks can pretend to be sociable when the lives of our characters are on the line! :black101:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

sebmojo posted:

I think the point about eyes is possibly a good one, that eyes aren't mentioned in the strip but are in the Go rule. But it's probably just a picture of his head, which doesn't help too much (it's... head shaped?)

Rorschach blots just look like blots to me, I'm no help.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

sebmojo posted:

That particular shape is also invincible/unkillable. Once a shape has two eyes it will last until the end of the game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Glory of Arioch posted:

So, did Geoff get that last sending off or not? I feel like that could affect things quite a bit.

It either got cut off or ended with "AAAAAAAH!" depending on if he dropped the wand before or after the scream got out. I think either has the same result narratively.

I thought it was supposed to be obvious that Geoff was betraying Ian and that people had just forgotten the blatant signs in that direction in the years since that plot came up.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Man, for a well-established paranoid Ian was really quick to forgive three year in the clink. Seems like kind of a hurried subplot mop-up.

How did he even figure it out?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Dolash posted:

Man, for a well-established paranoid Ian was really quick to forgive three year in the clink. Seems like kind of a hurried subplot mop-up.

I think it was the family angle. All Geoff had to do was tug on those "you just reunited with your daughter" strings and right on cue Ian thinks, "I can't judge Geoff, I'm literally no different."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dolash posted:

He literally walked in on it. Given what Geoff's saying, and the fact that his peg leg is apparently a wand, it's pretty clear what's going on.

Random Stranger posted:

I thought it was supposed to be obvious that Geoff was betraying Ian and that people had just forgotten the blatant signs in that direction in the years since that plot came up.

I thought it was outright stated. Maybe I'm misremembering, though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Dr. Buttass posted:

I think it was the family angle. All Geoff had to do was tug on those "you just reunited with your daughter" strings and right on cue Ian thinks, "I can't judge Geoff, I'm literally no different."

That, plus, aside from the whole bit about constantly selling them both out, Geoff's the only person he'll still be with that he has any modicum of trust in; everyone else in this new rebellion is (so far as we're aware) a total stranger to him.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
If he had agreed to bozzaks plan, and THEN told Ian about it, I am sure Ian and company could have just gone in and killed Bozzok/crystal and not had to worry about this whole thing!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Johnny Aztec posted:

If he had agreed to bozzaks plan, and THEN told Ian about it, I am sure Ian and company could have just gone in and killed Bozzok/crystal and not had to worry about this whole thing!

That would require that thing... what's it called... trust.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
He trusted Bozzok to NOT kill his son for a laugh after bozzok gained power? He trusted Bozzok more than Ian?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Well, yeah. Bozzak's a dick but honors his deals, one-sided though they may be. Ian's a paranoid idiot who wouldn't trust his daughter to break him out of jail! Who would you trust?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Apparently Ian, because he's incredibly forgiving and understanding?

Also when he busted in in Geoff I assumed he'd figured it out some other way. If he really did only learn by overhearing him just now, I'm rather surprised, considering he apparently managed to keep his betrayal under wraps for three years. It just seems a little too neat and tidy, like Rich wanted to make sure there were no loose ends or hanging questions for us to wonder about no matter how minor.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know why people are assuming Ian is actually forgiving and totally okay with this betrayal. He's a rogue. He's really good at lying. I don't think it's safe to assume his forgiveness is genuine just yet, give it a strip or two for him to stab him in the back.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ian's also not that keen on stabbing his only friend just yet. He has to make some other friends first for back-up.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I would expect Ian wants him to double-cross Bozzak first.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Ian is probably at least neutral and I really doubt he's gonna off his friend with a knife to the back for previous slights.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This is a man who ran off to another country on a whim to fight a rebellion against a tyrannical empire, to follow his late wife's dying request to be better than Greysky City. He's Chaotic Good and he's not going to murder Geoff.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Eifert Posting posted:

Ian is probably at least neutral and I really doubt he's gonna off his friend with a knife to the back for previous slights.

He's exactly the same chaotic goodish that Haley is. She absolutely kills when she deems it a good idea. I'm not sure a now-contained mistake by his brother rises to the occasion.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

fallingdownjoe posted:

I'm actually a little disappointed by that: it would have been a stunning callback. But it's still a really nice little touch all the same.

I think with how the panels are positioned, the area where the picture is in the new comic just isn't in sight. I know, that's stretching, but it kinda works.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

ikanreed posted:

He's exactly the same chaotic goodish that Haley is. She absolutely kills when she deems it a good idea. I'm not sure a now-contained mistake by his brother rises to the occasion.

Hell, even without the trust issues, he's now got the solidest link to Bozzak's activities he's had in a long while, if Geoff's been in a lot of the loop. It'd be a bad move on his part to kill the crap out of Geoff for the moment, sorely tempted as he might be.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Ian's full of bad ideas, though. His Wisdom's lower than Elan's! I could easily see him shiv Geoff at the top of the next strip then use the wand to tell Bozzak that he's next or something.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

In hindsight, I really should have added "then again, this is Ian we're talking about". :v:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Regalingualius posted:

In hindsight, I really should have added "then again, this is Ian we're talking about". :v:

Elan, using his Bardic foresight, already knew Geoff was betraying Ian. So his written-down plan to bring down Tarquin involves Geoff throwing himself upon Tarquin's dagger to disarm him.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Apocron posted:

That particular shape is also invincible/unkillable. Once a shape has two eyes it will last until the end of the game.

This comes from the GITP forum via that askmefi question:

quote:

"Actually, the game's really intricately designed and interesting. I mean ... there's this whole artful little sequence available after Black A18, just as a forinstance. And the five white stones at the top (E18-K18) are exactly the right number to make that group killable if the double-hane connecting them to the space at the right gets compromised. Personally, I think the artist either has some real Go chops, or consulted someone who does ... especially when I take a look up-right-diagonal at the prior panel with the whole game in miniature on the floor, and note that the lower-right corner belongs entirely to MitD. Score-wise, that makes the entire right side necessary for White to win the game. MitD has three corners and has ruined most of the center territory. To me, it looks like a teaching game with a very specific lesson (above and beyond the 'two eyes' discussion). That group that everyone is criticizing because it is all squeezed down and only has two eyes? The group that represents [Monster in the Dark]? That's a vitally important group in this game. It has multiple ways of breaking out of its confinement (the mentioned double-hane, but also potentially the black cut at M12) and is in a perfect position to destroy all of white's elegantly laid plans if it does. In other words, there's a metaphor already coded into the stones that O'Chul didn't even get around to talking about. This Go game says 'That ugly looking group that seems surrounded and irrelevant is actually the most important factor on the board.'"

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I wonder if this is going to lead into Crystal coming back and going after the OOTS just to mess with people because of Belkar's prophecy (And how he said she would never kill him.)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

sebmojo posted:

That's pretty awesome. I don't know a single thing about Go, but that there's that kind of foreshadowing for those that do is really impressive.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

sebmojo posted:

*GO QUOTE*

Xykon has pretty much won. The order is beaten and dying, MITD hasn't even come out of the dark. He realizes what Xykon is doing is wrong and sacrifices himself to stop the big bad doomsday device from happening. Or maybe MITD does it before the order even gets there, because the order wouldn't have had a chance to stop it from happening anyway. The eyes in the dark stop the carefully laid plans.

I really hope I remember this prediction for the climax.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Donkringel posted:

Xykon has pretty much won. The order is beaten and dying

What? They just got healed up and are on their way to get there at the climactic moment due to traveling at the speed of plot. Don't talk crazy.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

rocketrobot posted:

What? They just got healed up and are on their way to get there at the climactic moment due to traveling at the speed of plot. Don't talk crazy.

Maybe you should read the whole post.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

el burbo posted:

Maybe you should read the whole post.

Maybe he shouldn't make a post like that while snipping out the relevant content from that shitbird of a forum.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

rocketrobot posted:

Maybe he shouldn't make a post like that while snipping out the relevant content from that shitbird of a forum.

It's not the context that was snipped that you're missing - it's the context where in the last line they mention that the rest of their post was all a prediction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
It's also a really dumb prediction. The misunderstood, overly powerful child-monster on the bad guys side has a redemption during the climax and helps the good guys in their darkest hour? Wow, what a unique plot twist!

Edit: drat, is it a or an unique?

Earnestly fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 31, 2014