Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

SopWATh posted:

I tired to get teachers to do this for 2 years. Using secure print, or any other advanced feature, is equivalent to asking them to implement the Apollo program.

My mother has a printer hidden in her classroom because she and other teachers aren't allowed to leave their rooms while students are in there so if she needs 5 more copies of something because students are dumb she'd be hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can't the Java updater be blocked at the firewall level or through a GPO?

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Can't the Java updater be blocked at the firewall level or through a GPO?

We can keep the currently installed JRE from updating, but we can't stop users from going to java.com and downloading the latest version anyway. This is a double problem, because the standard installer breaks the existing GPO install, installs the ask toolbar, and can't be removed (at least not easily) via GPO either.

EDIT: V I suppose that's one route to investigate...

SopWATh fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 28, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I take it that blocking java.com would cause issues?

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

GreenNight posted:

I take it that blocking java.com would cause issues?

"Facebook requires me to update java to play my games and the entire internet isn't working so I can't update java, this is effecting my productivity."

No idea if any games force you to do that but this sort of thing wouldn't surprise me. Thankfully I don't have to deal with java. Basically, no matter what you do you lose.

Edit: On reflection, I can see users, when unable to download java from java.com just searching for an update anywhere they can instead of complaining and installing one of the many fake java installers.

Edit 2: vvvv That's quite possible and somewhat impressive. I don't have facebook and don't tend to play browser games (except dice wars occasionally) so I honestly have no clue.

A c E fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 28, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I think Facebook games are all HTML5. I'm wondering because I've made it my mission to eliminate Java from this office and I have yet seen it come back and we don't block Facebook or Java.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
We're going to try blocking java.com and update.java.com directly.

That's actually a pretty good idea.

I hope they never realize they can get it from oracle, otherwise my testing schedule will get messed up.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SopWATh posted:

we're going to try blocking java.com and update.java.com directly.

That's actually a pretty good idea.

I hope they never realize they can get it from oracle, otherwise my testing schedule will get messed up.

Why not block Oracle too?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I don't think there are any browser games that demand Java much anymore. It's going away. I do run SCCM reports on java.exe and it really hasn't come back since I removed it from the corporate image.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

ConfusedUs posted:

Why not block Oracle too?

Because we don't have a separate security group for IT, so it gets blocked for everyone and I'm not allowed to make changes to the firewall... I'm the FNG here.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Setup a GPO that modifies the host file to make oracle.com point to localhost. Then apply the GPO to a security group that consists of everyone but IT.

Edit: no separate AD group for IT? For shame. Yeah, as a new dude it's tough to make waves.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How do you run an environment where you trust your users enough to give them the right to install applications they've downloaded but they aren't competent enough to realise that if they update Java and then get Java errors when running an application that the two are probably related?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Odds of a user figuring out that Java can be had from Oracle, signing up for an account, wading through the downloads, and installing it are low.

Granted, that means that someone will probably figure it out and break everything in the most hilarious way, but that's just the cynicism talking.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A ticket came in last week.

quote:

Server for <very important app> is down!

Turns out, the server was scheduled for decommission because the person who created the VM left/was fired/died, and our automated processes picked it up as orphaned.

When a VM gets flagged as orphaned, ownership is transferred to the account's manager, and all involved parties are notified that ownership needs to be updated or the system will automatically be decom'd on X date.

X date passed with no mention from anyone, so the VM was decom'd.

Now everyone is scrambling to get it back up and running again (glad I'm not oncall this week).

The best part?

The 'server' is an XP VDI.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Caged posted:

How do you run an environment where you trust your users enough to give them the right to install applications they've downloaded but they aren't competent enough to realise that if they update Java and then get Java errors when running an application that the two are probably related?

It's less about actually trusting them and more about being unable to specify the vast array of stuff they want to use. We try to give teachers the leeway they need/want for teaching in the way they see fit. We have to support district-wide grade reporting software, we have to support the employee stuff, but there's just not a good way to support each teacher's wants...

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
My workplace has a Xerox 700i and it has been giving us problems for months. Although it prints normal black & white documents just fine it can't print a consistent solid background color or image. For example, if you print a set of business cards with a solid background color 1/2 the document looks desaturated. Since we're a small commercial print shop a problem like this really effects us since a lot of the jobs once run through the digital printer are now being run through the offset setup.

Xerox has sent in 4-5 techs throughout the last 5-6 months, each one of them replacing different parts / calibrating the machine differently, with no results. I think we're finally at the point where they are considering replacing the machine, but only with the same model with a similar click count.

gently caress Xerox. Apparently it's really hard to drop the contract too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just let them replace it, there's not a huge amount else you can do. If the replacement is hosed as well then set fire to it or something.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

This. Let them replace it. If it doesn't work. Make them replace it again. Repeat for each time it doesn't work right until they either A. fix it, or B. replace it with a model that isn't hosed.

Torlo Hans
Apr 23, 2005

La familia es todo.
Dinosaur Gum
A ticket has arrived.

Everyone in the company posted:

Hey IT, we can't make outbound calls, it's just a busy signal. What did you do!?

Aww, our PRI provider poo poo the bed and apparently no one in the region can make outbound calls. They've also let us know that they don't know why and maybe they'll even fix it today. Today is terrible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's one of those were you send a company wide email and see who doesn't read it.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

SopWATh posted:

I tired to get teachers to do this for 2 years. Using secure print, or any other advanced feature, is equivalent to asking them to implement the Apollo program.

Everybody here has a way to do this, I've taught them all how to do it, and they can't figure it out or it "adds too much time to their workday for them to get anything done." I would make a policy against personal printers and mandatory secure print for sensitive information, but I can't set policy. The guy who can set policy is one of the VPs with a personal printer, incidentally.

user on probation fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 28, 2014

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Apparently a fiber line was cut between Baltimore and <somewhere>*. So that's fun. Good thing we don't have many stores in that area.

*"somewhere", because the helpful foreign lady at AT&T told me, but I couldn't make out what it was she was saying.

e: i've been troubleshooting goddamn networking issues at one goddamn store for 3 goddamn hours now and it all could have been avoided if the person I was talking to knew even one goddamn thing about anything. It took me a solid 3 minutes to explain how to reboot a windows computer.

It would also help if their phone wasn't busy.

myron cope fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 28, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SopWATh posted:

We can keep the currently installed JRE from updating, but we can't stop users from going to java.com and downloading the latest version anyway. This is a double problem, because the standard installer breaks the existing GPO install, installs the ask toolbar, and can't be removed (at least not easily) via GPO either.

EDIT: V I suppose that's one route to investigate...

So why do users have rights to install stuff anyway?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

spankmeister posted:

So why do users have rights to install stuff anyway?

Because when the CEO tells us that users need to be able to control their own computers we say ok?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GreenNight posted:

Because when the CEO tells us that users need to be able to control their own computers we say ok?

If your ceo doesn't give a poo poo neither should you.

Stop worrying about being proactive and just put your effort into scripting breakfixes instead of long term solutions.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sickening posted:

If your ceo doesn't give a poo poo neither should you.

Stop worrying about being proactive and just put your effort into scripting breakfixes instead of long term solutions.

I'm not the type that can't give a poo poo. If he wants to allow everyone to be local admins, then so be it. To be honest, I'm rarely busy with user issues. We have a good web appliance that blocks bad poo poo and the users are more or less intelligent about stuff.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Are your users really so computer savvy that they watch blogs for new Java versions coming out then download them on their own initiative, but can't manage to downgrade again if it breaks poo poo?
Or did you rather forget to disable the updater in a GPO and the problem is coming down to people clicking "Agree" on every popup that appears on their screen...

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
:downs:: What laptop should I buy? My budget is $1000

:hist101:: <My boss and I both link :downs: to two different Lenovo laptops, I also mention a remanufactured Dell business class laptop. All recommendations are Intel based>

:downs:: Here install Office and decrapify this for me please!

:aaa:: $400 Toshiba bought at BestBuy, AMD based.

Thing will pause/hang at the weirdest moments... I'm really not used to it. Several times now I have (prematurely) had to decide "Welp <program> crashed."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

AlexDeGruven posted:

A ticket came in last week.

Turns out, the server was scheduled for decommission because the person who created the VM left/was fired/died, and our automated processes picked it up as orphaned.

When a VM gets flagged as orphaned, ownership is transferred to the account's manager, and all involved parties are notified that ownership needs to be updated or the system will automatically be decom'd on X date.

X date passed with no mention from anyone, so the VM was decom'd.

Now everyone is scrambling to get it back up and running again (glad I'm not oncall this week).

The best part?

The 'server' is an XP VDI.

Aww you have automatic processes for that?

A case manager new hire couldn't get onto the system because we ran out of VMs. Lo and behold people who I know don't work here anymore still have VMs. Had to ask the coordinator to give me a termination list so I could free them up.

God of Mischief posted:

Kronos is the biggest pile of poo poo. We are using java 6 and 7 where I work and Kronos will only work with the java 6 browser plugin. Using java 7 it will spit out a message saying it only works on java 6 and then gives a broken download link. And then you better enter everything perfect or you will have to reload the entire pile of crap since its validation means "display a popup and never let you edit the value that failed validation"

This is more for the other thread but I loving hate how specific and finicky Java programs are.

You must have Java 6u17. u16 will not do, u19 is right out, oh you better not use 7. There is only one version of Java ever made that will work at least some of the time.

J
Jun 10, 2001

drukqs posted:

:hist101:: <My boss and I both link :downs: to two different Lenovo laptops, I also mention a remanufactured Dell business class laptop. All recommendations are Intel based>

Thing will pause/hang at the weirdest moments... I'm really not used to it. Several times now I have (prematurely) had to decide "Welp <program> crashed."

I always wonder what computer these people would come back with if you actually initially recommended them the $400 bestbuy bloatware special.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

J posted:

I always wonder what computer these people would come back with if you actually initially recommended them the $400 bestbuy bloatware special.

TI-83 calculator.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Give em a loving etch a sketch and tell em to shake it to reboot.

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010

skooma512 posted:

You must have Java 6u17. u16 will not do, u19 is right out, oh you better not use 7. There is only one version of Java ever made that will work at least some of the time.

The worst part is that there is nothing about Java that forces this. It is all lovely developers who can't be bothered to test for anything besides the one version they are allowed to install and instead add checks to their program. At least let me RUN the bloody pile of crap, I am pretty sure it will run just fine (until I find out you are relying on undocumented behavior of that one specific version).

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Jedi425 posted:

TI-83 calculator.

I-Pad. Then complain it can't run line of business apps or Office.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

God of Mischief posted:

The worst part is that there is nothing about Java that forces this. It is all lovely developers who can't be bothered to test for anything besides the one version they are allowed to install and instead add checks to their program. At least let me RUN the bloody pile of crap, I am pretty sure it will run just fine (until I find out you are relying on undocumented behavior of that one specific version).

As much as I bitch that sometimes Java updates break our poo poo--they do, once in a while, and it's usually minor--at least we test that poo poo and put out updates for our product to make sure it works, if necessary.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

drukqs posted:

That thing + $100 SSD + fresh windows install =~ same user experience as $1000 Lenovo, unless he'll be gaming or converting video. Or you can hit it with something like PC Decrapifier to blow away all the marketing shitware. They don't sell very many computers that actually freeze/stutter a lot out of the box because of -hardware- issues per se, anymore.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

tehloki posted:

That thing + $100 SSD + fresh windows install =~ same user experience as $1000 Lenovo, unless he'll be gaming or converting video. Or you can hit it with something like PC Decrapifier to blow away all the marketing shitware. They don't sell very many computers that actually freeze/stutter a lot out of the box because of -hardware- issues per se, anymore.

It still amazes me that there are IT people who don't immediately format and reinstall any prebuilt computer that comes their way.

Related: this program was sent my way by someone asking if it's any good. I've not used it but supposedly it will backup and restore Windows+Office activations so you don't even have to worry about having to phone microsoft or losing your OEM/SLIC based key. Anyone know if it's any good?

Lum fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 29, 2014

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Lum posted:

It still amazes me that there are IT people who don't immediately format and reinstall any prebuilt computer that comes their way.

Related: this program was sent my way by someone asking if it's any good. I've not used it but supposedly it will backup and restore Windows+Office activations so you don't even have to worry about having to phone microsoft or losing your OEM/SLIC based key. Anyone know if it's any good?

Thread delivers me joy once again. (Assuming this works as described)

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Lum posted:

I actually usually don't have time, as the typical notice I get for a new employee in the busy season is -1 day. PC Decrapifier makes uninstalling all that bloatware pretty easy/fun though. It's like a really terrible reflex game. If it comes with Norton on it though, I have to do a fresh install, computerless employee or not; those uninstallers barely ever loving work. At one point while running the uninstaller I had a bluescreen/reboot followed by an NTLDR missing. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

tehloki posted:

I actually usually don't have time, as the typical notice I get for a new employee in the busy season is -1 day. PC Decrapifier makes uninstalling all that bloatware pretty easy/fun though. It's like a really terrible reflex game. If it comes with Norton on it though, I have to do a fresh install, computerless employee or not; those uninstallers barely ever loving work. At one point while running the uninstaller I had a bluescreen/reboot followed by an NTLDR missing. What the gently caress.

Mutually Assured Destruction of the computing variant

• Locked thread