Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The arm thing looks like poo poo, but ED-209 looks great on the new Blu Ray.

In the stair scene it's supposed to look like a helpless joke, a toy. That's the whole point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AdmiralViscen posted:

In the stair scene it's supposed to look like a helpless joke, a toy. That's the whole point.

But having sterility being "the point" of the remake is somehow a cop out. Okay then.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think ED-209 looks better than it ever has before on the 4k remaster Blu-Ray but it still looks goofy and unrealistic and you can obviously tell it wasn't shot the same way as the rest of the movie. The way it was done is very much a product of its time, which makes it endearing to me.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
The entire point of this conversation is that movies like Iron Man feel entirely lifeless in their action, and RoboCop does not. CG, when done correctly, is invisible. The best CG in cinema, you don't even know is CG. It was said above, the old film has a man actually unholstering a real prop in real space. It plays a lot better than the CG version, which you can deny until you're blue in the face.

I am intentionally not picking on movies like Amazing Spider-Man and Green Lantern but you're really making me want to, since "CG good stupid puppet stop-motion bad lol"

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

But having sterility being "the point" of the remake is somehow a cop out. Okay then.

I don't agree with either of you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I disagree on the Iron Man part. The first film has very heavy combat scenes, every time he lands there's small craters where he touched down. There's heavy thunking noises when trading blows with opponents. The second film isn't as good but the first one has excellent CG work.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

computer parts posted:

I didn't say that.

It is too soon to say whether or not the movie will bear out that theme, or any other theme. I can say that the action scene they have chosen to show so far is not interesting or exciting to look at, and that has to do with the way it is shot and not the type of technology it uses to create its effects.

The clip someone posted earlier of original Robocop walking behind a pane of blurry glass with the camera pointing up at him evokes a response from the viewer that is consistent with its theme. If this new movie truly aims to be dull and sterile to make its point then I'm not sure that is going to provide the viewer with a positive experience.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 28, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Slim Killington posted:

This still looks worlds better than most of the poo poo in Iron Man. Fake is still fake, even if it's HD and pretty.

I agree. What they should have done was gotten a practical effects group like, say, Stan Winston Studios, to build actual real-life Iron Man suits and only used CGI in scenes where practical effects weren't feasible.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I agree. What they should have done was gotten a practical effects group like, say, Stan Winston Studios, to build actual real-life Iron Man suits and only used CGI in scenes where practical effects weren't feasible.

So, most of the film then? You'd be better off referencing Thor.

Either way, I specifically referred more than once to action sequences. They made a killer practical suit yes, and it barely got used, and he never wore the legs because it was uncomfortable, and by the second movie they were barely using it again.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 28, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think I'd kinda honestly prefer to see the film where they didn't have CG and they just wore that get up/masks for the whole movie. Kinda like wanting to see Nicholas Cage perform as Ghost Rider in that face paint.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gatts posted:

I think I'd kinda honestly prefer to see the film where they didn't have CG and they just wore that get up/masks for the whole movie. Kinda like wanting to see Nicholas Cage perform as Ghost Rider in that face paint.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

you're in a copy of your childhood home, duplicated in green tape and craft paper. there's a three-inch cutout of your mother's face affixed to a broom. the broom is also green. you're told that she loves you.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gatts posted:

Watching the special features on the Blu-Ray for Ghost Rider:SoV and seeing Nic Cage in that mask with the motion capture suit before the CG was added was deeply unsettling, much moreso than seeing a skull on fire :froggonk:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Slim Killington posted:

So, most of the film then? You'd be better off referencing Thor.

Either way, I specifically referred more than once to action sequences. They made a killer practical suit yes, and it barely got used, and he never wore the legs because it was uncomfortable, and by the second movie they were barely using it again.

You are absolutely right. Practical effects are clearly the way to go with action scenes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Steve Yun, I've gotta ask: Do you have to do the sarcasm thing in every single post?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This is the only actual movie thread in CD that I read. It is amazing. :allears:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Rhyno posted:

I disagree on the Iron Man part. The first film has very heavy combat scenes, every time he lands there's small craters where he touched down. There's heavy thunking noises when trading blows with opponents. The second film isn't as good but the first one has excellent CG work.

Iron man isn't perfect, but it looks a hell of a lot more "right" than the robocop action, which given the ridiculous moves he pulls in any of those movies is saying quite a lot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Steve Yun posted:

You are absolutely right. Practical effects are clearly the way to go with action scenes.

Totally. CGI is a great and perfect format that makes all action sequences look incredibly convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU5GKM_Rh2c

My god. It's like I was there

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Realtalk about Robocop 2 for a sec. Every time I watch it, I appreciate it more and more. It was troubled no doubt, but they really did the best job they could with the situation. The commercials and news reels are still funny, the action is satisfying and appropriately vicious, Cain is an appropriately intimidating villain and charles mason stand in (I like the idea of Robocop fighting a Jesus figure instead of being the jesus figure), the movie an appropriate satire on the war on drugs, I love the tragedy of Murphy rejecting his humanity and yet coming to peace with his hybrid nature by the end of the film ("Good as money can buy" is such a great line at that point in the film), I like the Elvis henchman, I like the little kid bad guy, it's really a pretty fucken okay sequel.

Certainly miles above 3 or whatever 2014 ends up being.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cyra posted:

Realtalk about Robocop 2 for a sec. Every time I watch it, I appreciate it more and more. It was troubled no doubt, but they really did the best job they could with the situation. The commercials and news reels are still funny, the action is satisfying and appropriately vicious, Cain is an appropriately intimidating villain and charles mason stand in (I like the idea of Robocop fighting a Jesus figure instead of being the jesus figure), the movie an appropriate satire on the war on drugs, I love the tragedy of Murphy rejecting his humanity and yet coming to peace with his hybrid nature by the end of the film ("Good as money can buy" is such a great line at that point in the film), I like the Elvis henchman, I like the little kid bad guy, it's really a pretty fucken okay sequel.

Certainly miles above 3 or whatever 2014 ends up being.

The entire movie is worth it for the scene of the failed Robocop prototypes, and I thought that some of the stuff with Cain (especially the scene where his brain is in a tank and helplessly watching as they casually throw away his hollowed-out skull) approached the body horror of the original movie. It's just super uneven where for every fun, memorable bit there's a bunch of blah stuff weighing it down.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I also really liked Robocop 2, especially as a kid.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Some Reasons to be Optimistic

1. José Padilha's last movie very well received. This isn't a hack director.

2. The screenplay was written by a single person, Joshua Zetumer. I have no idea how good he is of a writer, since this is his first major motion picture. I guess his second script is being produced with Leonardo Dicaprio starring.

3. The cast has some great actors: Gary Oldman, Michael Keaton, Samuel Jackson, Abbie Cornish, Michael Williams, Jackie Earle Haley, Marianne Jean-Baptiste.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Slim Killington posted:

It could have been the third Elite Squad as far as it mattered, with a robot guy in it.

"Nasciemento, we were not entirely forthcoming about Captain Matias. We have the technology to make him stronger, faster, better."

Yes. Yes.

ghostwritingduck posted:

Some Reasons to be Optimistic

1. José Padilha's last movie very well received. This isn't a hack director.

No poo poo. Brazil was so impressed that they tried to get the Academy Awards to accept it for the Best Foreign Film nomination.

The first film ain't that bad either. In a way, you really have to watch both films because, on their own, they tell different stories, but together, they play off the themes of the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWn-uWEas9s&t=83s
(turn on the CC for subtitles)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Steve Yun is a pretty big poo poo poster in other threads, I'm certain he's trolling at this point.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The entire movie is worth it for the scene of the failed Robocop prototypes, and I thought that some of the stuff with Cain (especially the scene where his brain is in a tank and helplessly watching as they casually throw away his hollowed-out skull) approached the body horror of the original movie. It's just super uneven where for every fun, memorable bit there's a bunch of blah stuff weighing it down.

The scene where they cut open the traitor cop's chest still gets me. The screams. The screams...

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
When RoboCain betrays Angie and his face goes from smiley to murder psychotic was probably the most frightening thing I saw in 1990.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Young Freud posted:

"Nasciemento, we were not entirely forthcoming about Captain Matias. We have the technology to make him stronger, faster, better."

Yes. Yes.

No poo poo. Brazil was so impressed that they tried to get the Academy Awards to accept it for the Best Foreign Film nomination.

The first film ain't that bad either. In a way, you really have to watch both films because, on their own, they tell different stories, but together, they play off the themes of the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWn-uWEas9s&t=83s
(turn on the CC for subtitles)

I'd say it's a bit like the relationship between the 1st and 3rd seasons of the Wire, where the second film zooms out, and you realise that what you've seen is just the tip of a larger ice berg. The first film's fine, if narrowly focused, but the second really does enhance it.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Re: Robocop 2, there is a totally good and fun movie in there hiding amid a crazy amount of bloat, a more concise editing job would do wonders for that movie, it tends to meander and lose the plot a bit too often. Sometimes it's about Cain, sometimes it's about OCP and only occasionally do the concepts intercept. A film that focused on one or the other would be a much better watch. That said, it's not surprising the film ended up that way, the comics produced from Frank Miller's outlines attempt to throw even more kitchen sinks into the mix by also including many elements that appeared in Robocop 3 such as the Rehabs taking over the police.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Hockles posted:

The scene where they cut open the traitor cop's chest still gets me. The screams. The screams...
I still have to mute or avert my eyes for this scene

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
There are some people getting really angry about this movie.....

Here are 41 seconds of Robocop themed thrash metal for you to vent your feelings to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yISeaqSmtN4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr. Lariat posted:

Re: Robocop 2, there is a totally good and fun movie in there hiding amid a crazy amount of bloat, a more concise editing job would do wonders for that movie, it tends to meander and lose the plot a bit too often. Sometimes it's about Cain, sometimes it's about OCP and only occasionally do the concepts intercept. A film that focused on one or the other would be a much better watch. That said, it's not surprising the film ended up that way, the comics produced from Frank Miller's outlines attempt to throw even more kitchen sinks into the mix by also including many elements that appeared in Robocop 3 such as the Rehabs taking over the police.

Which one? I believe we are on our third "Based on the work of Frank Miller" RoboCop comic.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Which one? I believe we are on our third "Based on the work of Frank Miller" RoboCop comic.

I think he's talking about the one called Frank Miller's RoboCop. The writing has all the subtlety of a wrecking ball (but it's Frank Miller, so no one should be surprised) and the artwork is incomprehensible garbage. It's supposed to be based on Miller's original script for RoboCop 2, which makes the movie we got seem like a triumph of cinema when you think about what they were working from, or what might have been.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spakstik posted:

I think he's talking about the one called Frank Miller's RoboCop. The writing has all the subtlety of a wrecking ball (but it's Frank Miller, so no one should be surprised) and the artwork is incomprehensible garbage. It's supposed to be based on Miller's original script for RoboCop 2, which makes the movie we got seem like a triumph of cinema when you think about what they were working from, or what might have been.

Dark Horse, Avatar and Boom have all published comics "based on Miller's original script." Boom's is still ongoing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I re-watched Robocop 2 tonight, I still love the design and stop-motion for RoboCain.

The movie feels a bit... directionless, though. Like, stuff just kind of happens, and new ideas are introduced, and then they just get resolved or dropped almost immediately. Murphy is stalking his ex-wife... and then it's resolved in the next scene. Murphy has a bunch of unnecessary directives installed (and in the prior scene the OCP lawyer flat-out said it was too expensive to repair Robocop, but here we are) and then in the next scene he electrocutes himself and gets rid of them and the idea is never brought up again.

On the whole the movie feels like it's more about Cain than Robocop. Like it almost feels like the script could have been altered into an "alternate Robocop 1" where instead of creating a robot cop from a police officer (and the movie even shows why it doesn't work, and doesn't really adequately address why it did work for Murphy), they make one from a criminal and he goes totally out of control.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Xenomrph posted:

(and the movie even shows why it doesn't work, and doesn't really adequately address why it did work for Murphy)

Well Murphy and Robocop are really two different entities, and for most of the first film Murphy is just 'waking up' inside the suit. So I guess you could say that he had time to come to terms with his new existence. Whereas in Robocop 2 they just take criminals (who are presumably a bit unhinged to begin with) and just cut them up and slap them into robot shells so of course they're going to flip the gently caress out.

The funnier part about that sequence was how shoddy a bunch of those 'Robocop 2' examples were. Half of them would never actually work as law enforcement units because they were obviously too fragile and would crumple the first time someone took a crowbar to them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

You guys are really making me want to rewatch Robocop 2 right now :(

But what the gently caress? I just looked on Amazon and they aren't selling either the individual Blu-Ray OR the trilogy Blu-Ray set anymore :cry:

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

The one the other guys said, the Frank Miller's Robocop, 8 issue series I think.
While were at it though, seems like I'm not the only one reading Robocop funny books, how batshit has the last few series' been? This Boom one is absurd and the one just before it (avatar? Idw?) was also balls out bananas. What is it with Robocop comics being absurd all around? I keep buying them with the hopes that a good one will happen but man oh man.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dr. Lariat posted:

The one the other guys said, the Frank Miller's Robocop, 8 issue series I think.
While were at it though, seems like I'm not the only one reading Robocop funny books, how batshit has the last few series' been? This Boom one is absurd and the one just before it (avatar? Idw?) was also balls out bananas. What is it with Robocop comics being absurd all around? I keep buying them with the hopes that a good one will happen but man oh man.

Haven't they all been written by crazy old man Frank Miller?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I Before E posted:

The movies or the comics?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

I Before E posted:

That's the weird thing, none of them have, I was looking at them not too long ago and noticed they are all written by other people with inspiration from Miller's Robocop 2 script, they all have his name on the cover but he really had nothing to do with any of em. They just get more and more surreal, although I did kinda like what Road Trip was proposed as "Robocop doing a Michael Knight thing, helping out people from town to town." What we got was more Robocop chased by OCP a bit and giant robot dogs and ED-209's the size of 5 story buildings. At one point the old man head of OCP tries to steal his body and yea, it's all loving nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Well Murphy and Robocop are really two different entities, and for most of the first film Murphy is just 'waking up' inside the suit. So I guess you could say that he had time to come to terms with his new existence. Whereas in Robocop 2 they just take criminals (who are presumably a bit unhinged to begin with) and just cut them up and slap them into robot shells so of course they're going to flip the gently caress out.

Only Cain was the criminal subject. The other Robocop prototypes were apparently law enforcement volunteers. The only difference between them and Murphy (and Cain) was that they had not lost everything and the cyborging was their only hope of survival and, either consciously or subconsciously, realized they couldn't go back.

WarLocke posted:

The funnier part about that sequence was how shoddy a bunch of those 'Robocop 2' examples were. Half of them would never actually work as law enforcement units because they were obviously too fragile and would crumple the first time someone took a crowbar to them.

Actually, the "diving bell" prototype, as Phil Tippett called it, has a lot in common with RoboCain. RoboCain is an evolution off that prototype, made larger, more armored, and heavily armed.

• Locked thread