Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I really need to see Windhand live, they're from my city so I have no excuse not to. They're playing a show with Dead Meadow at a venue 2 blocks away from me next month, I'm stoked.

I did manage to catch Inter Arma over the summer, also from my city, and they did not disappoint. Great year for Virginia metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
These Celophys guys are pretty good. Ukrainian stoner doom duo, and their first album, Triassic Desert, is name-your-price.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Evan Montegarde posted:

I did manage to catch Inter Arma over the summer, also from my city, and they did not disappoint. Great year for Virginia metal.

I work (worked maybe?) with the drummer's sister and she told me to check them out a few years ago. Then their newest album came out and :asoiaf:

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

The Gasmask posted:

That Lion's Daughter/Indian Blanket thing is amazing, thanks for posting it. Vinyl of it was $12 and comes with a digital download thing too!

I don't know the date of it, but some of my friends run a venue in Danbury CT called the Heirloom and their newish booking guy got Intronaut and Scale the Summit together for a show. I think at least one of you is southwest CT, so you should check it out whenever it happens.

I would be all over that show in a heartbeat.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The new Major Kong album, Doom Machine, is really loving good, as far as instrumental doom metal goes. Not quite to Bongripper levels, but very close. Full album comes out on the 20th.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I wanted to thank whichever goon suggested Mountain Witch earlier in the thread -- just bought their EP. This Bandcamp thing is pretty dang cool.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Indian's new album is streaming on Pitchfork Advance.

They keep getting heavier.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
Some new disgustingly heavy and hateful sludge by Ruine, a project with members of Magrudergrind and Mutilation Rites: https://soundcloud.com/user3105090/ruine-regression

And if you haven't heard Mutilation Rites, go ahead and remedy that now. Clearly more on the black side of things than the doomy/sludgey one, but they're great nonetheless.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Getting closer to Truckfighters new album, still enjoying the poo poo out of Prophet from last year. I've been hooked on these guys ever since I heard Gravity X.

Aren't they supposed to be awesome live? I still haven't seen them perform :(

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Awesome Welles posted:

Getting closer to Truckfighters new album, still enjoying the poo poo out of Prophet from last year. I've been hooked on these guys ever since I heard Gravity X.

Yes they are. I think they're starting their european tour right about now.

I've seen them once live before and will definitely be checking them out again when they come here.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
What are people's go-to shops for sludge/doom vinyl? I got some stuff from AllThatIsHeavy and Blue Collar, but some of the other shops I checked out looked slightly sketchy. Might just be the DIY/independent nature of it though.

Side note: my Bongripper Hippie Killer 2xLP in Camo green came a little while ago. Sounds great, packaging is top notch, and it came way quicker than I expected.

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009

Awesome Welles posted:

'Truckfighters a fuzzumentary' doco is a good watch.
With snippets of live material.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Indian's new album is streaming on Pitchfork Advance.

They keep getting heavier.

drat, wish I hadn't checked this thread so late, it's gone already. For anyone interested in checking out their other albums here's a link: http://indiandoom.bandcamp.com/

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
It's up on Spotify/Google, too, and it is so amazingly heavy. I've really enjoyed stuff like this album and Evoken, but I'm curious how much heavier the genre can be pushed.

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003
I ended up buying that Indian Blanket/Lion's Daughter album "A Black Sea". The LP art looks really nice and the album itself is a great listen through and through. I can't believe how slept on this thing has been.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Derek of the Andes posted:

'Truckfighters a fuzzumentary' doco is a good watch.
With snippets of live material.

How the hell did I not know about this? :negative:

Also new album is out. Knee jerk reaction - it's pretty drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNi8E-ytbvs

:frogsiren:

The Chairman and Get Lifted are my personal favorites so far.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

casual poster posted:

drat, wish I hadn't checked this thread so late, it's gone already. For anyone interested in checking out their other albums here's a link: http://indiandoom.bandcamp.com/

Thanks for link. I think I may have over looked Indian the first time I gave them a 30 second try and feel dumb now. The end of the song (4:50) "No Grace" on Guiltless is the bees knees. Just a bit of emphasis fuckery but still super monster heavy. Really cool. It reminds me a bit of this Brutal Truth song "Time" at 2:14.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Awesome Welles posted:

How the hell did I not know about this? :negative:

Also new album is out. Knee jerk reaction - it's pretty drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNi8E-ytbvs

:frogsiren:

The Chairman and Get Lifted are my personal favorites so far.

I've been dying for this album. Kept screwing up the date in my head and thinking it was coming out earlier than it was.

I like the album too, and it's neat to see them continue in the direction their going even if it's not just a constant onslaught of fuzz the whole time.

drat I love their fuzz though.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy

moctopus posted:

I've been dying for this album. Kept screwing up the date in my head and thinking it was coming out earlier than it was.

Ha, me too. Its because it was initially slated for a Fall 2013 release, unbeknownst to me it got pushed back to 2014 and what I thought was going to be this record wound up being The Chairman EP. Whatever, it was worth the wait.

I love Mind Control. I watched a YouTube video of 'untitled new song' filmed with a phone at one of their recent concerts and thought 'boy this is going to be great.' That tin can-effect opener sounded just like the crappy quality video I had seen, instantly jogging my memory and then the fuzz kicked in and I basically had a religious experience.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
New Lord Mantis art is very NSFW, and absolutely terrifying.:

:nws: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=650956321619076&set=a.154081087973271.26505.154041984643848&type=1 :nws:

What makes it even scarier is that it was painted by Jef Whitehead. Fans of black metal should already be familiar, but just in case: http://www.stereogum.com/1072852/leviathans-jef-whitehead-sentenced-to-two-years-probation/news/

If the album is as disturbing as the artwork, it should make for a great listen, and one of the most memorable albums of the year.

If it's been removed from Facebook by the time people see this, I'm sure Profound Lore will have it on their website soon.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

nomapple posted:

New Lord Mantis art is very NSFW, and absolutely terrifying.:

:nws: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=650956321619076&set=a.154081087973271.26505.154041984643848&type=1 :nws:

What makes it even scarier is that it was painted by Jef Whitehead. Fans of black metal should already be familiar, but just in case: http://www.stereogum.com/1072852/leviathans-jef-whitehead-sentenced-to-two-years-probation/news/

If the album is as disturbing as the artwork, it should make for a great listen, and one of the most memorable albums of the year.

If it's been removed from Facebook by the time people see this, I'm sure Profound Lore will have it on their website soon.

It's on the Archives as well:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Lord_Mantis/The_Death_Mask/400756

And the fact that Jef Whitehead did it is bitchin'. That dude may be nuts, but he's a sort of nuts that lends itself well to art.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If it sounds anything like the last Lord Mantis album it will fit that art nicely.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Definitely excited for the Lord Mantis album, Pervertor blew me away and sits high on my all time favorites list. In similar news Coffinworm has a new one coming out March 18, you can listen to a track here: http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=99481

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
can anyone tell me if the 1997 Ahab - Käpt'n Ahab are the same as the 2006 Ahab that put out call of the wretched sea? They sound really different and one tracklist/album is in German while the other is in English so I'd like to know.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Xlyfindel posted:

can anyone tell me if the 1997 Ahab - Käpt'n Ahab are the same as the 2006 Ahab that put out call of the wretched sea? They sound really different and one tracklist/album is in German while the other is in English so I'd like to know.

Metal-Archives says Ahab formed in 2004, so no.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

The Gasmask posted:

I don't know the date of it, but some of my friends run a venue in Danbury CT called the Heirloom and their newish booking guy got Intronaut and Scale the Summit together for a show. I think at least one of you is southwest CT, so you should check it out whenever it happens.

Thanks, Scale the Summit are good, I'll look out for the show. Unfortunately the Heirloom books very little metal and the few recent times I've seen a metal band billed there it was a bad one like Abigail Williams. It used to be a killer venue but it fell off around 10 years ago (wow, has it been that long already?) - $10 shows and they had just about every metalcore/melodeath/melogroove/nwoahm/whatever band, plus sometimes a killer death metal show like Vital Remains+Incantation. The last time I was up there was a few years ago and the schedule seemed to be entirely warped tour wannabe bands. :(

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't know whether to post in here or the post-rock thread. Here goes:

Looking for more stuff like Earthless. Purely instrumental, verges on jam-session form/length.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Looking for more stuff like Earthless. Purely instrumental, verges on jam-session form/length.

Colour Haze

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

You might also enjoy Zebulon Pike. Instrumental doom/prog rock, not quite in the same psychedelic style but excellent stuff nonetheless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hBUK8hCVIM

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'm streaming the new Dead Meadow record now and it's pretty great if you like those guys.

They're currently on tour, and it will probably be their last for awhile so catch them if you can.

Dead Meadow posted:

Tue 1/28/2014 Tucson, AZ Plush
Wed 1/29/2014 ABQ, NM Low Spirits
Fri 1/31/2014 San Antonio, TX The Ten Eleven
Sat 2/1/2014 Austin, TX Hotel Vegas
Tue 2/4/2014 New Orleans, LA Siberia
Wed 2/5/2014 Birmingham, AL Bottletree
Thu 2/6/2014 Atlanta, GA 529
Fri 2/7/2014 Jacksonville, FL Jax Live
Sat 2/8/2014 Charlotte, NC Snug Harbor
Sun 2/9/2014 Asheville, NC Grey Eagle
Mon 2/10/2014 Richmond, VA Strange Matter
Tue 2/11/2014 NYC Bowery Ballroom
Wed 2/12/2014 Philadelphia, PA Underground Arts
Thu 2/13/2014 Boston, MA Sinclair
Fri 2/14/2014 Washington, DC DC9 DC9 10th Anniversary Party
Sat 2/15/2014 Brooklyn, NY GLASSLANDS
Sun 2/16/2014 Hamden, CT Spaceland Ballroom
Mon 2/17/2014 Northampton, MA Iron Horse
Tue 2/18/2014 Montreal, QUE Petit Campus
Wed 2/19/2014 Saint-Hyacinthe, QUE, La Zaricot
Thu 2/20/2014 Toronto, ONT Lee's Palace
Fri 2/21/2014 Cincinatti, OH Northside Tavern
Sat 2/22/2014 Cleveland, OH Grog Shop
Sun 2/23/2014 TBA
Mon 2/24/2014 TBA
Tue 2/25/2014 TBA
Wed 2/26/2014 Minneapolis, MN Turf Club
Thu 2/27/2014 Fargo, ND Aquarium
Fri 2/28/2014 Des Moines, IA Vaudeville Mews
Sat 3/1/2014 Chicago, IL Double Door
Sun 3/2/2014 St Louis, MO FIrebird
Mon 3/3/2014 Kansas City, KS Riot Room
Tue 3/4/2014 Oklahoma City, OK Conservatory
Wed 3/5/2014 Omaha, NE Slowdown
Thu 3/6/2014 TBA
Fri 3/7/2014 Denver, CO Lost Lake

No Houston date, which makes me sad. Their Austin date is Skinny Puppy in Houston, so that's a no go. Maybe this year I can FINALLY make it to the Austin Psych Fest.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Try this: http://eddiebrnabic.bandcamp.com/album/subtle-realms

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just came across the first(?) album by Space God Ritual, Eldritch Tales. If you want to hear Saint Vitus, Pentagram, Black Sabbath, and H.P. Lovecraft (the writer, not the psychedelic band) in a blender, this is basically that.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Excellent recommendations one & all! That Subtle Realms album is on fire!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

How have I been sleeping on Sweeden for so long?

Unjustly Labeled
Oct 11, 2012
Thought I'd post my own band in here. Varying levels of doomy, sludgey, extremely low tuned metal (guitars mostly in G#0, as in 3 semitones below a 5 string bass):

http://unjustlylabeled.bandcamp.com

I've also not seen any mention of Author & Punisher in this thread. I recently discovered his stuff myself, and just can't get enough of it!

http://authorandpunisher.bandcamp.com

Check that out if you like experimental electronic doom drone.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Unjustly Labeled posted:

Thought I'd post my own band in here. Varying levels of doomy, sludgey, extremely low tuned metal (guitars mostly in G#0, as in 3 semitones below a 5 string bass):

http://unjustlylabeled.bandcamp.com

This isn't half bad! I'm getting a vague Godflesh / early Swans vibe from the songs I've listened to.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

C2C - 2.0 posted:

You'd probably like Harsh Toke. Earthless were definitely a major influence on them, and I believe they've played a few shows together.

Unjustly Labeled
Oct 11, 2012

m-o-o-n posted:

This isn't half bad! I'm getting a vague Godflesh / early Swans vibe from the songs I've listened to.

Hmmm, I'd never heard of Swans before this. Really interesting hearing their album Filth actually, since it sounds like the stepping stone between King Crimson and one of my favourite bands of all time, Idiot Flesh. I dunno, I might be way of the mark with that one...

Godflesh I've heard before, but I never really got into them. Any recommendations for where I should start in their discography?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Streetcleaner.

Also it's weird to see a fan of heavy music that has never even heard of Swans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Slavestate is a good follow-up to Streetcleaner. Just avoid Hymns.