Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Mortimer posted:

It's not the script extender if that's what you're thinking. Default ugridstoload?

No I just meant, i dont think the game is hitting the limit or anything. Is that in the .ini?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW
Boss won't pick up my Skyrim install for some reason. It only loads fallout new vegas when I run it and even when I use the GUI to target the Skyrim folder it still doesn't work. Anyone know how to get it actually register and pick up Skyrim again? I've used it before and for some reason it just isn't working anymore. I even tried installing boss directly to the Skyrim folder.

Decided to play again and installed an absurd number of mods so I'm gonna need to have any chance of my game functioning.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Ynglaur posted:

This guide on Nexus just popped up, purporting to provide a good overview of settings, tweaks, and mods to make even a heavily-modded Skyrim stable. Has anybody looked at this and determined if it's quality work or just snake oil? (I'm a late :regd13: reg and I already trust this community with such things more than anyplace else. I guess it's time to drop another :10bux: for a premium subscription.).

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50244/

Overall I'd say its good. Mostly because it tells you not to gently caress around with things like setting iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=9999999999999999 because bigger = better. Its take on the threads part is kinda iffy but the advice is not to mess with it which is almost certainly the right thing.

Edit: I hate mod users.

quote:

Apparently this won't work with Immersive Patrols or SkyTest. I get a crash in the same spots everytime i've tried making them work together
Gee that sure helps me diagnose the problem.

LtSmash fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 28, 2014

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Mosaic Perception posted:

Boss won't pick up my Skyrim install for some reason. It only loads fallout new vegas when I run it and even when I use the GUI to target the Skyrim folder it still doesn't work. Anyone know how to get it actually register and pick up Skyrim again? I've used it before and for some reason it just isn't working anymore. I even tried installing boss directly to the Skyrim folder.

Decided to play again and installed an absurd number of mods so I'm gonna need to have any chance of my game functioning.

Have you booted and started a game in Skyrim once?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

GAY RETARD posted:

So i have ENB and some mods installed, and it runs fine with like 30-45 fps, but it seems whenever I enter an instance and then head back out to skyrim the frame rate drops to unplayable levels until I quit and restart the game. Im using the script extender, so im wondering what it could be thats causing that.

Running a crossfire setup by chance? Same thing happens on mine.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

epitasis posted:

Have you booted and started a game in Skyrim once?

Not since reinstalling/since I started playing New Vegas instead. I'll give that a shot thanks a bunch.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I made a thing. Simple mod, adds two hotkeys for trading with followers, telling the to wait/follow and putting them into the 'command' mode.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

CFox posted:

Running a crossfire setup by chance? Same thing happens on mine.

Nah, ive got a gtx 560Ti. Its weird, I could play for hours on end at like 60 fps, if the save loads outdoors, but the second I go indoors and back outdoors, its completely unplayable yet if I go to the menu its fine. If I try to alt+tab it wont let me and if I bring up the task manager the game crashes. Its incredibly frustrating.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GAY RETARD posted:

So i have ENB and some mods installed, and it runs fine with like 30-45 fps, but it seems whenever I enter an instance and then head back out to skyrim the frame rate drops to unplayable levels until I quit and restart the game. Im using the script extender, so im wondering what it could be thats causing that.
It was already mentioned, but things like this can be repeated: SKSE has no effect on Skyrim's performance. Nor does it cause crashing, corrupt your save, send ninjas to kill you in your sleep or any of the other silly crap the anti-script extender crowd believes.
I think in your next post you were referring to the newly discovered memory tweak. If your game crashes or freezes when it's trying to load something (for example a lot of actors), that could help prevent that crash. But it won't solve performance issues.

To fix this, I'd start by looking at the graphical overhauls and tweaks you have installed.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 28, 2014

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I have a feeling this may backfire, but I'm going to see if Grandmaster can live alongside SPERG, loaded after. gently caress speechcraft in Skyrim anyway.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

I made a thing. Simple mod, adds two hotkeys for trading with followers, telling the to wait/follow and putting them into the 'command' mode.

I love you. I've been searching for a mod that would provide a hotkey for follower command mode for a long, long time.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Black Pants posted:

I have a feeling this may backfire, but I'm going to see if Grandmaster can live alongside SPERG, loaded after. gently caress speechcraft in Skyrim anyway.

Yes, I've actually done this one before (also gently caress speechcraft). If only Grandmaster were still updated.

mbt fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 28, 2014

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25sYB_VDbg

Gopher reviews Phinix Natural ENB, which is what I use and love.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Does anyone have the mod that makes mudcrabs make Dr. Zoidberg sounds (but uses the default model instead of the ugly custom one)? It's under review by a moderator on Nexus, because god knows it's way worse than all of the other horrid poo poo on there.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Raygereio posted:

It was already mentioned, but things like this can be repeated: SKSE has no effect on Skyrim's performance. Nor does it cause crashing, corrupt your save, send ninjas to kill you in your sleep or any of the other silly crap the anti-script extender crowd believes.
I think in your next post you were referring to the newly discovered memory tweak. If your game crashes or freezes when it's trying to load something (for example a lot of actors), that could help prevent that crash. But it won't solve performance issues.

To fix this, I'd start by looking at the graphical overhauls and tweaks you have installed.

No I wasnt saying anything bad about SKSE, just that I DO have it installed before someone suggested giving it a shot. I've read this is likely caused by the fact that the game doesnt dump ALL of the assets when you load a new area, in case you immediately backtrack, So therefore after going indoors and back outdoors im out of video memory. I dont mind longer load times so im wondering if anybody knows of a fix for that? I tried to run the optimizer textures thing last night but it completely destroyed my game and I had to go back and fix it. I have no idea about this memory tweak, but ill give it a shot if someone has a link. The only crashing I experience is when I try to alt+tab to task manager, and thats only the game that crashes, not the computer. I have a bunch of high res textures installed, but I always went for the less intensive option when installing them and, like I said, my game runs fine UNTIL i go back outdoors after being inside. When I experience this drop, I can disable ENB and see no improvement.

HORMELCHILI fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 28, 2014

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The new apocalypse spell version has a spell called loot magnet which grabs everything off corpses nearby. However, it is bugged and anything you grab is marked as stolen :lol:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
As it turns out, I have no idea how to merge mods to cut down on the number of .esps I use (currently 248 :gonk:) nor how to merge levelled lists so everything actually shows up. Any chance I could get someone to explain it to me as though I were 80 years old?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Flagrant Abuse posted:

As it turns out, I have no idea how to merge mods to cut down on the number of .esps I use (currently 248 :gonk:) nor how to merge levelled lists so everything actually shows up. Any chance I could get someone to explain it to me as though I were 80 years old?

You only need to combine esp's if you actually have so many skyrim can't load them. Up until that point it won't help and could hurt if you do it wrong which is easy to do.

For leveled lists what you really want is a tesedit merged patch. Here's my wall of text about that.

Wrye Bash actually has a bunch of new devs who are hard at work on making it work right for skyrim and not suck. But until they get a new build out its tesedit.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Flagrant Abuse posted:

The easiest way is honestly cut down on the fluff you don't need. Are you REALLY needing all 248 esps? Teaching someone Tesedit is a lot harder than "use different mods with less esps". If you're using mod manager some esp's don't need to be activated, especially if they just activate bsa's or textures.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
^^^ Curse you LtSmash :argh:

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Merging ESPs is a pain in the rear end that can be fraught with peril, but I can help you with the leveled lists.

Load up all your mod ESPs in TESVEdit, then go get a sandwich. Our builds look to be about the same size so it is going to take a minute or two to fully load. You'll know it's finished thinking then you get this:

The highlighted bits will be at the bottom of the window and show that it's finished loading.

Right-click anywhere in the left-pane (where all your mods are listed) and pick Other in the context menu that pops up, and then Create merged patch in the submenu from that.

A window will pop up asking for a name (pick something like Merge), hit OK. TESVEdit will think for a moment while it compiles the patch. Once it's done, you can poke around inside (it should be at the bottom of the list, bolded) to make sure it's doing what you want. I find it does most of the time but every now and again I'll want it to not make a merged NPC record or modify weapons, which it will do automatically. Exit out, and tell it to save when prompted. Then, go back to your mod manager of choice and refresh/reload, and activate the merged patch, making sure it comes last in your load order.

Take note that when you make updates to item-intensive mods it's a good idea to also rebuild your merged patch - even if it's pointing to the right ESPs updates might add or subtract from leveled lists or change references.

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 28, 2014

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I've installed the Uncapper and SPERG, but I'm still getting a perk every level instead of two. Everything else seems to be working fine. Do I need to edit that bit manually?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Overemotional Robot posted:

I've installed the Uncapper and SPERG, but I'm still getting a perk every level instead of two. Everything else seems to be working fine. Do I need to edit that bit manually?

SPERG comes with its own skse folder with a custom uncapper ini. Even if you have MO I found it easier to just manually put the ini in the correct place. SPERG also doesn't unpack correctly with MO (DLC doesn't get put in the main folder) so I wouldn't be surprised if the ini also failed to be moved.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Ah, well that would explain it then. Thanks!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Game keeps crashing now, even with all mods uninstalled. I also tried reinstalling Skyrim and verifying the files but that didn't work. What did I do. :ohdear:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

UoI posted:

Game keeps crashing now, even with all mods uninstalled. I also tried reinstalling Skyrim and verifying the files but that didn't work. What did I do. :ohdear:

then it is not a vanilla install
http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Make_Skyrim_Vanilla_Again

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
:negative:
Thanks for mentioning TESVEdit merge, but for gently caress sake this has alerted me to a lot of bullshit, especially regarding NPC entries. Check over your merged patch after making it, people.

For example, why is Guard Dialog Overhaul touching weapon stats?

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 29, 2014

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I think I'm gonna give Skyrim a rest until I can get my hands on the DLC for cheap. If I wanted to backup my mods and stuff, can I just zip up the mod organizer folder and uninstall? If I uninstall Skyrim and then reinstall it, will I need to copy over skse and SweetFX again, or do those files "stay" when uninstalling?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The best thing you can do is take a note of all the mods you have, erase everything you won't need, and uninstall everything. By the time you reinstall, SKSE and SweetFX will have been updated, as well as many mods.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Black Pants posted:

Thanks for mentioning TESVEdit merge, but for gently caress sake this has alerted me to a lot of bullshit, especially regarding NPC entries. Check over your merged patch after making it, people.

TES5Edit is a wormhole. You'll also find that mods like SkyTEST - Realistic Animals & Predators adds some loving retarded dogs that follow you the rest of the game around the first dragon tower.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Scyantific posted:

The best thing you can do is take a note of all the mods you have, erase everything you won't need, and uninstall everything. By the time you reinstall, SKSE and SweetFX will have been updated, as well as many mods.

I would reccomend that you do back up your mods just in case they disappear due to nexus drama, but that's just me. :)

Edit:

quote:

TES5Edit is a wormhole. You'll also find that mods like SkyTEST - Realistic Animals & Predators adds some loving retarded dogs that follow you the rest of the game around the first dragon tower.
So Thats where they loving came from.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

I uploaded a new beta of ASIS in the nexus comments section. Now with lightning fast patching and not modifying thousands of records it doesn't need to! Also an MCM menu and paving the way for better customization.

Black Pants posted:

TesEdit is what made me the man I am today! GDO adds keywords to trigger some of the dialogue that was previously only used for specific lines or something. You can use GDO as a master for other mods and get the guards to comment on the new items too.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Scyantific posted:

Agents are GO! posted:

I would reccomend that you do back up your mods just in case they disappear due to nexus drama, but that's just me. :)

Edit:

So Thats where they loving came from.

Yeah, I'll back up the whole MO folder (zipped), but I already screencapped the mod loadout and order. Thanks guys.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thanks. Got everything working now. :)

I'm so terrible at modding.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gyshall posted:

You'll also find that mods like SkyTEST - Realistic Animals & Predators adds some loving retarded dogs that follow you the rest of the game around the first dragon tower.

How is this even a problem though? I found some follower dogs (well a named dog and a "tame" wolf) and immediately lost them when I fast-traveled, never seen them again hours of gametime later.

It's not a bug, it's working fully as intended.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

How is this even a problem though? I found some follower dogs (well a named dog and a "tame" wolf) and immediately lost them when I fast-traveled, never seen them again hours of gametime later.

It's not a bug, it's working fully as intended.

I think the thing is that they don't fast travel, but they'll catch up to you eventually.

Edit:

LtSmash posted:

I uploaded a new beta of ASIS in the nexus comments section. Now with lightning fast patching and not modifying thousands of records it doesn't need to! Also an MCM menu and paving the way for better customization.

I have a quick question: is it possible that ASIS has given the Vampire Lords "Vampiric Grip" to normal NPC vampires? I just began the Dawnguard questline, and almost every time I fight vampires I get rag dolled and bounce around for a while and every time I have to reload because the camera stays in "killcam" mode.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 29, 2014

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

What's there in the way of mods that cut down on the use of fast travel? There's Convenient Horses and Touring Carriages, but is there anything that adds in stuff like Mage's Guild teleportation, indexes like in Morrowind that teleport you between various points, etc?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Meant to put this in the other Skyrim thread.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 29, 2014

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Agents are GO! posted:

I have a quick question: is it possible that ASIS has given the Vampire Lords "Vampiric Grip" to normal NPC vampires? I just began the Dawnguard questline, and almost every time I fight vampires I get rag dolled and bounce around for a while and every time I have to reload because the camera stays in "killcam" mode.

They shouldn't be but its I guess its possible? I didn't see it on anything tesedit in my patch. The spells seem to be DLC1VampiresGrip "Vampiric Grip" [SPEL:xx0038B7] or DLC1nVampireBloodyGripSpell "Bloody Grip" [SPEL:xx00E7D2] so you pop those form ids into tesedit with asis loaded and see if its referenced on anything.

I did notice top level vampire lords had telekinesis but that wouldn't ragdoll you would it?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Telekinesis should only effect objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

GAY RETARD posted:

No I wasnt saying anything bad about SKSE, just that I DO have it installed before someone suggested giving it a shot. I've read this is likely caused by the fact that the game doesnt dump ALL of the assets when you load a new area, in case you immediately backtrack, So therefore after going indoors and back outdoors im out of video memory. I dont mind longer load times so im wondering if anybody knows of a fix for that? I tried to run the optimizer textures thing last night but it completely destroyed my game and I had to go back and fix it. I have no idea about this memory tweak, but ill give it a shot if someone has a link. The only crashing I experience is when I try to alt+tab to task manager, and thats only the game that crashes, not the computer. I have a bunch of high res textures installed, but I always went for the less intensive option when installing them and, like I said, my game runs fine UNTIL i go back outdoors after being inside. When I experience this drop, I can disable ENB and see no improvement.

Literally nothing? Nobody has experienced this before? Ill take a screenshot of my load order when I get back home because god knows if thatll help, but If I can play the game fine at one point, shouldnt the whole thing run just as well? Maybe im asking too much for my 1gb graphics card which performs beautifully WITH THE SAME EXACT MOTHERFUCKING MODS AND SETTINGS to keep such a level of performance between identical area loads, but obviously im just a noob that has no idea what im doing and has to disable every single texture pack (with which the game can run fine) to see improvements, and regardless it must be me blaming SKSE (which i never did) that is causing these problems. Super helpful guys, thanks a ton.

• Locked thread