Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Okay this is odd. You're the second guy to report being deleveled on enemy fights but I haven't been. Anderson starts at 63 after I tanked everything in the previous map.

They started deleveled, but after I finished a fight everything jumped a bunch. Post-patch strangeness, I suppose. (Mags/Hood went to 208)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

BDawg posted:

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2714

So, how are people with crappy teams able to cheat in tourneys?

There are rumors of a frame rate exploit, of players using the same account on multiple devices at once, and a couple of other client-side hacks people may be using.

Devs have said "if there's cheating, we'll ban regardless of how much they've spent." We'll see.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Ouch, the game is super difficult now. These 230s have been giving me such a headache and I thought I had it figured out just earlier today.

I hope they roll back some of these changes for sure.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I wish I could join the selling thor/wolv bandwagon but they're my main dudes with OBW currently. I sold IM35 and im thinking of selling storm as well since I never use her anymore.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

iRend posted:

I think you should keep Thor and sell Wolvie - Thor is still pretty great, his Yellow ability is amazing when running with Daken or Hulk.

Got my 1st place for the last event, Patch was already at 3/3/3 and i'm not sure which direction to go, but i'm leaning towards 4/4/5.

e: If you have some pink matches on the board, that's the best time to use his green. Provide strike tiles, immediately take them away!

I sold my Thor because he was no longer specced correctly. My wolverine was in fact already built correctly for the nerf, so he stays.

vvv The last two times I've used Thor were for the Thornament and the God games. Other than that, he's been entirely out of my rotation.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 29, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm actually tempted to sell my Thor as well, since I'll mostly be using him for his Yellow's Green Tile generation now, but the thought of having to gather all the covers is somewhat daunting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Anyone know what the bonus is for selling maxxed-out 1-stars? IM35 has 10 levels or so to go.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
How is the thread title not "Marvel Puzzle Quest: Now FUNbalanced!" yet?

FUNbalanced is by far the best legacy this game could hope to leave behind.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BTW, Moonstone combos pretty well with Patch. Her red is a good alternative to Best There Is (depending on whether there's lots of red tiles) and her purple can be used to match away purple strike tiles you make for the enemy. Her black's still stupid though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

delfin posted:

There are rumors of a frame rate exploit, of players using the same account on multiple devices at once, and a couple of other client-side hacks people may be using.

Devs have said "if there's cheating, we'll ban regardless of how much they've spent." We'll see.

Well a bunch of stuff appears to be client side. I wouldn't be surprised at all of cheat engine worked on the steam version to let you freeze your guys HP.

A client side game is okay on iOS / Android its a ton harder to cheat on them, its still silly, but also makes sense because out of range and getting disconnected = loss is just bullshit if you go under a tunnel or something. Trusting a client on a PC game is loving retarded. The best way is to support resume and only accept input when they are connected. But they clearly aren't doing that.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 29, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A.o.D. posted:

I sold my Thor because he was no longer specced correctly. My wolverine was in fact already built correctly for the nerf, so he stays.

vvv The last two times I've used Thor were for the Thornament and the God games. Other than that, he's been entirely out of my rotation.
I'd stopped using Thor long ago, but I busted him out to see how he played after the nerf - honestly, I think the only way you could be specced wrong now is not having Thunder Strike 5. The Mjolnir nerf and the huge reduction in Thunder Strike damage mean they're not good nukes regardless of what level they are, and there's much better uses for the bonanza of greens he can now make than the now-decent-but-still-only-okay team damage of Call the Storm.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BDawg posted:

Dunno, but the guys in 1-3 in my bracket have multiple (as in five or more) lvl 120 characters so I can indeed see how they manage to win.

Edit: Haha, for the first time ever my dudes managed to beat someone who attacked me.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

BGrifter posted:

Yes nerfing two of the easiest to get powerful characters sure is good for you guy-who-has-nothing-but-a-post-nerf-CStorm. Now you can enjoy getting clowned by Ares and Punisher instead while scooping up gobs of far less useful Wolverine/Thor covers.

Yeah, I'm honestly getting off on the amount of salt pouring over this. It's delicious.

BDawg posted:

We're really good at Bejeweled. That's it. That's the entire secret. Powers that deal with board control are competitive with powers that deal a bunch of damage, and flat out better if you get creative. That, and Black Widow Classic 5 turn stun is the great equalizer. (If she gets Funbalanced, I'll join Y'all in your tears.)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

So is the OP completely obsolete now? Cause I still haven't even maxed Iron Man 35 yet but I still have to decide what crap to keep.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Veryslightlymad posted:

Yeah, I'm honestly getting off on the amount of salt pouring over this. It's delicious.

We're really good at Bejeweled. That's it. That's the entire secret. Powers that deal with board control are competitive with powers that deal a bunch of damage, and flat out better if you get creative. That, and Black Widow Classic 5 turn stun is the great equalizer. (If she gets Funbalanced, I'll join Y'all in your tears.)

I could almost believe that's how it's happening but the problem is no amount of creative board control explains how they're winning matches so fast. Low level heroes just don't do a ton of damage on matches. In order to get top ten in those lightning rounds you need to be winning fast.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Veryslightlymad posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure if it was brilliant or dumb as gently caress to roll out a new and incredibly-restrictive HP-buying model over 4 patches 3 months into the game's lifespan. You get so, so much anger from the players who were used to very little spending and being able to play all the content, but you managed to get all these people involved in the game, enough to get angry about it. And, probably, a lot of them will keep playing. Meanwhile, if I'd started playing today and seen all the paygates and missions I simply could not play, I wouldn't have bothered with the game for more than a few minutes.

But goddamn. The Ragnarok nerf was meh, because he's a two-skill hero anyway, but Thor and Wolverine had actual decisions to be made by their players, and for me, took almost a month of play to max out, and now the most popular builds are definitely subpar. And aside from my Spiderman, are the only two characters I have that are over level 60. And they're the newbie heroes with a bunch of free covers in the prologue, so I have to imagine the majority of the players who haven't bought in for maxed Magnetos and Ragnaroks have pretty similar rosters to mine. I can't imagine them picking a better cross-section of "things that might piss off a lot of people."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Yeah, disregarding Thor (67) and Wolverine (53), the only other heroes I have at a level higher than 30 are OBW and Storm Classic, and that's not because of a lack of ISO but because I simply don't have the covers to level anyone else beyond 30. Leaves me wondering what the hell to do now other than not bother, honestly. :shrug:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So assuming I want to somewhat stick with this game, what are the preferred builds for Thor and Wolverine now? 3/5/5 and 5/5/3?

My current Thor is 4/3/3 so I can maybe salvage him and go 4/4/5 and my Wolverine is 5/5/3 so I can actually finish him off without having to start over.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 29, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
"You can shear a sheep many times but you can only skin them once."

Puzzle & Dragons has perfected the art of shearing sheep. MPQ just butchered 'em all.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Their pricing model is so ridiculous. 100HP for 3AP to all colors in one fight, or 100HP for one spin of the daily heroic token.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I've been trying to get a red IM35 cover for a while now. He's level 35 now, but I'm still only at 3/4/4 for him. I've been spending a bunch of my iso-8 on 3AP boosts, and now that they're charging HP for refills, that...hurts. I hardly ever have HP. I'm into the third mission on Oscorp. Does it become more plentiful?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Kameh posted:

I've been trying to get a red IM35 cover for a while now. He's level 35 now, but I'm still only at 3/4/4 for him. I've been spending a bunch of my iso-8 on 3AP boosts, and now that they're charging HP for refills, that...hurts. I hardly ever have HP. I'm into the third mission on Oscorp. Does it become more plentiful?

hahahaha... no you're hosed unless you put in dollars. Unless you are a mega, you can expect to very rarely use 3 all boosts because they will now be super rare random drops.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Now that I can see the top rosters, I'm jumping on the "something is fishy" bandwagon. There is a top 5 guy in my overall bracket whose top guy is level 32. There is no way he should be capable of beating some of the stuff he would need to be farming

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I regularly place top 10. My best guy is Iron Man 30 at max level and I don't even use him anymore.

My go-to team is Ares, Classic Storm, and classic Hawkeye of all people. The highest of them is level 42. The lowest is level 30.

EDIT
What I'm saying is, they don't cheat, they just have way too much goddamn free time on their hands.

EDIT2
And if you're talking about the PVE event, Patch and Widow Original synergize so well together they can easily punch a hundred levels above their weight class.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 29, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Veryslightlymad posted:

I regularly place top 10. My best guy is Iron Man 30 at max level and I don't even use him anymore.

My go-to team is Ares, Classic Storm, and classic Hawkeye of all people. The highest of them is level 42. The lowest is level 30.

EDIT
What I'm saying is, they don't cheat, they just have way too much goddamn free time on their hands.

EDIT2
And if you're talking about the PVE event, Patch and Widow Original synergize so well together they can easily punch a hundred levels above their weight class.

I'm talking about PvE exclusively. There are 100 levels above a level 30 still is over 100 levels shy of some of the guys you're fighting. Without Spierman for stunlocking, I don't see how you can possibly cope with 240 teams, especially some like triple magia thug - as one tommy gun from any of 3 guys wipes your team. Any Ares 240, should also wipe you before you can kill him.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Karnegal posted:

I'm talking about PvE exclusively. There are 100 levels above a level 30 still is over 100 levels shy of some of the guys you're fighting. Without Spierman for stunlocking, I don't see how you can possibly cope with 240 teams, especially some like triple magia thug - as one tommy gun from any of 3 guys wipes your team. Any Ares 240, should also wipe you before you can kill him.

Yeah that's the part that I'm not getting. No amount of Bejeweled skill makes up for a bad board, especially against Magia dudes who just generate the colors they need regardless of OBW stealing gems or whatever board is generated. I still don't see how they win quickly enough in Lightning Rounds to take top ten either.

edit: I also never see these people to attack, I don't see how you can get 700+ points in a PVP event with level 30 teams and not get crabbed to oblivion.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 29, 2014

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Karnegal posted:

I have yet to see any enemy in PVE that is at level 240 and I am sitting at #17 in my bracket for Thick as Thieves with less than 3 weeks played. Losing PVE matches definitely works for dropping the difficulty. Getting your team wiped works faster than just retreating and as has been posted before, there are set matches that let you use preset heroes so you don't burn through your spare characters as fast. It is a lot harder now that Patch is fixed and the +3 all boost costs hero points so I'm not sure how it will go now.

I have noticed that I have had other people lose to my team a few times now in the Punisher event. It is probably due to lack of boosts and it may lessen crabbing as an issue so I'm not too unhappy if this is how it plays out.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Welp this patch just killed off my desire to play PVE.

Don't have enough blue to stunlock or anti-grav countdown tiles? Have fun getting one-shotted unless you pay silly amounts of currency for boosts LOL!

mania
Sep 9, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

edit: I also never see these people to attack, I don't see how you can get 700+ points in a PVP event with level 30 teams and not get crabbed to oblivion.

Most likely they have a low MMR in PVP. You (and anyone that could easily beat them) wouldn't see them since your MMR score is higher then theirs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Karnegal posted:

Now that I can see the top rosters, I'm jumping on the "something is fishy" bandwagon. There is a top 5 guy in my overall bracket whose top guy is level 32. There is no way he should be capable of beating some of the stuff he would need to be farming

The top guy in my bracket essentially has 90% of all the covers all maxed out so no surprises there.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The top guy in my bracket essentially has 90% of all the covers all maxed out so no surprises there.

Yeah, that's totally reasonable. It's the ones where they have nothing over 40 because even killing your guys only drops levels so much. I have 33 men in my roster and I've eradicated over 50% of it, and I still have people in the 100's-200's on the impossible missions. I feel like they have to be cheating. I'd want to see a video of someone clearing 240 guys regularly with a low power non-spiderman team.

EDIT: This is what I'm talking about, how is this guy above me?

Please tell me how this guy beats a 3 hero ares team that is over 200?

EDIT 2: I do want to note that the high end guys are still dooable, quite challenging but I can win probably 90%+ barring bad boards. BUT this is 100% contingent on a 5 blue spiderman. Once he get's nerfed, I'll probably quit because I can't imagine how I'd play the super tough missions without the stun. MAYBE I could get by on 3, but I doubt it with the boost change.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 29, 2014

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Karnegal posted:

Yeah, that's totally reasonable. It's the ones where they have nothing over 40 because even killing your guys only drops levels so much. I have 33 men in my roster and I've eradicated over 50% of it, and I still have people in the 100's-200's on the impossible missions. I feel like they have to be cheating. I'd want to see a video of someone clearing 240 guys regularly with a low power non-spiderman team.

EDIT 2: I do want to note that the high end guys are still dooable, quite challenging but I can win probably 90%+ barring bad boards. BUT this is 100% contingent on a 5 blue spiderman. Once he get's nerfed, I'll probably quit because I can't imagine how I'd play the super tough missions without the stun. MAYBE I could get by on 3, but I doubt it with the boost change.

looks like he uses Juggernaut and Iron man to tank and has Venom Devour enemies?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Karnegal posted:

He doesn't face Ares at over 200. Highest I have seen Ares in this PVE event is 196 and with losses I have always been able to bring it down to at least around level 110. With a few exceptions, I have only really faced sub level 100s with most encounters around the level 60 mark. With luck, boosts and his BWO stealing and healing, it's not that bad.

I'm pretty sure this will not happen as much now that boosts are not purely ISO as I can't see many people paying 100 hero points to beat PVE.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

One positive thing I have to give the devs credit for is the removal of attempts from pvp. You get one shot now, and if you fail they get points. Should lessen crabbing now that your team no longer has to endurance match three whole teams in order to protect you. The AI made me 46 points while I was beating up three other guys.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

I've squeezed the patchwork tokens out of the progression for the pve event, maybe now I can get my hands on a wolverine so I can participate in half these god drat fights!

Bag man, bag man, and bag man.

:catstare:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Heatwizard posted:

I've squeezed the patchwork tokens out of the progression for the pve event, maybe now I can get my hands on a wolverine so I can participate in half these god drat fights!

Bag man, bag man, and bag man.

:catstare:

Feel my pain.

At least in your defence they might Funbalance him and make him better.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This PVE has become fantastically unfun since they funbalanced.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Is it worth selling my lvl50 4-4-3 Thor for 11,569 ISO-8 and 300 Hero Points? I don't have a decent Wolverine setup yet and my next best option is a lvl30 1-5-2 Captain America. But still, 5 figure ISO and 300 HP is very tempting indeed.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Zero Star posted:

Is it worth selling my lvl50 4-4-3 Thor for 11,569 ISO-8 and 300 Hero Points? I don't have a decent Wolverine setup yet and my next best option is a lvl30 1-5-2 Captain America. But still, 5 figure ISO and 300 HP is very tempting indeed.

You'd be fine with a 4/5/4 Thor I think. Thor's yellow is really great for green generation, and his green is a decent nuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Dizz posted:

Feel my pain.

At least in your defence they might Funbalance him and make him better.

Yeah, I'm racing right over to clear a slot for him. (that is a lie he is 375 purplebux now)