Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Yeah I do understand that but I've got to keep a roof over my head somehow, it's impossible to unite coworkers with this too so it's always a case of like it or gently caress off :( I know the overtime should be used to hire another staff member but in practice it just means I lose my job and have to find another place where likely I'll have the same problem. I think I either need to move front of house/another industry or have enough experience to give me more negotiating power.

Trying to get a raise for me and my coworkers here due to overtime is the reason I have to leave now. I'm not sure on pay for my next place but I know it's less hours and obviously not managing the kitchen but everyone in the industry I try to get on board with these things has the same attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
There are two people on this the last page whos checks would be soaked and hanging in the walkin freezer if this were a real kitchen. Goddamn. Slayvus you seriously did not do that did you?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

tomkash posted:

Yeah I do understand that but I've got to keep a roof over my head somehow, it's impossible to unite coworkers with this too so it's always a case of like it or gently caress off :( I know the overtime should be used to hire another staff member but in practice it just means I lose my job and have to find another place where likely I'll have the same problem. I think I either need to move front of house/another industry or have enough experience to give me more negotiating power.

Trying to get a raise for me and my coworkers here due to overtime is the reason I have to leave now. I'm not sure on pay for my next place but I know it's less hours and obviously not managing the kitchen but everyone in the industry I try to get on board with these things has the same attitude.

The 18 months I spent living in Sydney working in kitchens where tough financially because I ended up in a whole bunch of kitchens that just weren't worth the hassle when you looked at what you were being paid verse what you where working. I ended up moving back to the mountains where things are cheaper but also the kitchens aren't quite as bad. What I would say if you're looking for work is put your resume into some of the restaurants that are higher up the food chain. You'll work your butt off but they can't really afford to screw around with unpaid overtime and stuff. The chef who qualified me at TAFE spent years at Quay and then ran Bondi Pavillion for quite a while. His advice was that quite often they don't look at what experience you've got but how you present in person they like people who are passionate about good food and cooking. I got a trial at the Victoria Room just by emailing my resume. The only reason I didn't end up working there was because I needed a job there and then and not in 3 months time when his new kitchen was opening

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

http://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/restaurants/2010/02/03/restaurant_promotes_sex_in_its_bathrooms.html

noooooooooo

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

After years of FoH work, all I can say is:

God. Dammit.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I've never understood this concept. It seems like if you were invited to do this, and everyone was cool with it,it would take away from the thrill?

That maid better be super well paid though, drat.

Edit: come to think of it, this happened three or four years ago,and I feel like it got shut down, or something.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

I've never understood this concept. It seems like if you were invited to do this, and everyone was cool with it,it would take away from the thrill?

That maid better be super well paid though, drat.

Edit: come to think of it, this happened three or four years ago,and I feel like it got shut down, or something.

Published on Wed Feb 03 2010 - yep, several years ago.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

I hope employees must wash hands before returning from pork.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
faces, too. :smuggo:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The professionalism of this place never ceases to amaze me. What do I see on the computer when I get to work and start checking things and sending the opening email? Why, a disciplinary note for my boss, left by his boss, sitting on the desktop. Because nothing inspires the average grunt to listen to their manager than seeing their manager be reprimanded for not punishing people for their mistakes.

I'm just gonna move the doomsday clock another minute toward midnight. Will I be seeing my fifth manager in my year working here? Will I get a promotion, Klingon style? Stay tuned and find out!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You don't want that promotion.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Trust me. You don't want that promotion. I took that promotion, and it nearly ruined my sanity and my marriage. I salvaged the marriage, the sanity situation is still fluid...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You really, really don't want that promotion. I took that promotion, and it took me from zero to alcoholic in six months.

You can't fix terrible management culture from the bottom end.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I skipped out on that promotion. I am currently unemployed and happy.

My buddy took the promotion I passed up. He just quit it and his happy status is unknown.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Finally, finally after months of agony (last night airbnb bailed on me and I had to crash with a friend last minute, and the 6 train was loving stuck for 45 minutes), I have a place to live. I'm on the floor of my room with a bottle of champagne and some See's Molasses Chips, hooked onto the free network called "Big Moe." For once in a long time, I'm content.

breadingbutter
Dec 28, 2013

by Ralp
welp - still washing dishes after 6 months: but it's with a hot downtown restaurant so they treat their dishwasher alright (got a very slightly burnt leg of lamb for dinner, holy poo poo!)

anyways about an hour into a packed dining room, chef got a saute pan of smoking hot oil dropped straight into his clog.

i was clearing the 2-rack dish machine (thank god for the mercy of a second dishy on weekends) and tidying up the utensils and spice rack - it sounded like this:

(saute cook): HOT PANS PLEASE
*CLANG*
(chef):[size="large"]gently caress!!![/size]

I don't think much of it (actually thought it was our resident rear end in a top hat server loving with the line), but when I swoop over, chef's foot is in the sink and people are staring.

he said "keep working!" - I was tempted to say "what, you never seen a guy with his foot in a sink before?" haha noobs...

anyways it was pretty bad - i'm guessing that it took about two seconds for his brain to register that his foot was in serious distress, and another 3 to get to the sink, his sock off, and the water flowing. he's out for a week, the sous who was 30 seconds from home and got called in for a double shift (and working tomorrow morning) was not pleased to say the least.

I totally could have been like "hey bro, full pant leg and laced leather shoes" just to rib him (since he was vicious on my 6-month review) but i'm really not petty like that.

gnarly looking burn, too. i'd say about 30 square centimeters (i dunno geometric in inches, maybe 12 square inches?). mostly second-degree, likely subdermal 3rd degree on a few spots.

the moral of this story is to wear long pants when people are slinging 500' oil around at high speed near your feet.

also talk nice about your badass dishwasher - because that may or may not have been a factor.

breadingbutter
Dec 28, 2013

by Ralp

tomkash posted:

Hey thread, I've been following these for the past couple of years I think. Trying to convince myself not to enter/stay in the industry.. anyway I've been in for one and a half years now, six months as a kitchen hand and prep the rest on the line.

I've got a bit of a dillema at the moment I was wondering how best to handle it. So I'm salaried and have been for six months or so, the typical 40 hours paid but 56 worked kind of thing. Anyway I was ok with that since I was learning a shitload working with very talented chefs, the head chef however went on a six week break two weeks ago and the guy they got to replace him was terrible. No communication with the rest of us only him so of course it starts going to poo poo. I pick up the pieces and start managing the kitchen and because of the pay situation I also asked to be paid more weekly in lue of the unpaid overtime and now extra workload.

The manager asked me to work six days this week if I wanted because the head chef couldn't hack it and quit. So I said I would. I asked them last week and then once this morning how much id be paid exactly and no figure so I angrily asked again to be told before I work the hours. I get a rant explaining the owners friend has died yesterday and a mention of how I bitched about the poo poo head chef to "everyone" (two bar staff that asked me about it) and he was the help so basically shut up. So now I know the figure but the treatment the last week just for trying to get confirmation on any payrise and telling the manager that the head chef was wrong about food costings for his new menu has made me want to walk out of here ASAP.

Basically... What should I do? Give in two weeks notice keep the kitchen from going to poo poo despite being understaffed and underpaid until they get new chefs or just not turn up to work tomorrow? This is where I have the majority of my cooking experience so I'm just really worried about future jobs :(

Sorry for the rambling I'm currently 8 hours into today's 12 hour shift, a public holiday in which we stayed open all day and they canceled the kitchen hand's shift. Would just appreciate advice from industry vets before I screw myself one way or another. In Australia if it matters!

just saw this and my answer is to deliver an ultimatum: "pay me more or i walk, no i won't work as your lead chef"

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Find a new job, then give 2 weeks

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

turdbucket fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 23, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

And people wonder why I don't wear clogs. That, and Skechers are ridiculous comfy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Plan Z posted:

And people wonder why I don't wear clogs. That, and Skechers are ridiculous comfy.

Throw in a couple encounters with 60qt mixer bowls and sheet pan racks full of heavy poo poo, and you understand why I wear steel-toed Red Wings at work.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

On shoe chat: I rock a pair of boots that come a good inch and a half above my ankles. They don't have steel caps but they have hard plastic instead, and the leather is covered with another piece of hard plastic. Nothing's gonna get through these puppies.

E: I'm covering someone today, and now someone else is leaving an hour early. Who I also have to cover. At least I get great pay rates today.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 2, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
gently caress everything about tonight.

slimskinny
Apr 2, 2005

One cool taco...
What up ya'll? Off for five days. Finally had a decent night yesterday. The 'new' job is going great. Tons of poo poo going on with the restaurant/company, very excited to see what unfolds over this summer. I learned an unbelievable amount at my last job, this place has already built upon that to the Nth degree. I can't actually believe I made a good career move hahaha. Some day I might even grow up to be a real chef.

This lady was falling over drunk at the bar;

GM: We've tried to kick her out for the last 10 minutes, I don't think she even understands.
Floor Manager: Um, Kayla had to help her off the floor.
GM: I've tried everything, short of dragging her out.
Bar Manager: Why don't you hire her, cut her hours, and she'll walk out like our staff.

slimskinny fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 2, 2014

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Bar manager is pretty sassy for obviously overserving a guest.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

gently caress everything about tonight.

We have a projector but no TV. This means 10 hours of the worst football movies I can find on netflix, starting with air bud 2: golden receiver.

Anybody got a good alcohol/football pun for my daily?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

slimskinny posted:

GM: I've tried everything, short of dragging her out.

Well that narrows your options right the gently caress down now, don't it? Good talk, y'all.

infiniteguest posted:

Bar manager is pretty sassy for obviously overserving a guest.

Yes.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ok no gently caress this, I need to find a new job. Putting 7 backwaiters on a night where we could do it with 3 is pissing me off. They're obviously terrified this part of the chain is going to go under and it's under scrutiny by corporate, and has a revolving door of awful managers who keep loving up and doing dangerous poo poo, like yelling at me to hold the huge trays with one hand over my head if needed, and poo poo like telling me I need to clock out before I collect money from servers and figure out tips (I didn't, gently caress you).

There's no strong leadership, just a bunch of blowhards screaming at us, servers, and kitchen before they sneak off to the back room to stay hidden for hours at a time. Plus I haven't been paid yet and started work on the 14th of January. Apparently I get paid with a debit card! No, gently caress YOU. They're giving me direct deposit or I'm calling the labor board. What a waste of loving time.

EDIT: Oh, and the same blowhard threatened to fire me if he saw me wearing a brown belt, instead of a black one. I've been working there for a whole month. I was never told this.

Black August fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 3, 2014

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Sounds like a fun gig. That debit card poo poo is super hosed too, it's like a hop-skip-and-a-jump away from being paid in company scrip.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

Sounds like a fun gig. That debit card poo poo is super hosed too, it's like a hop-skip-and-a-jump away from being paid in company scrip.

Eh, when I was young and poor that would have been the best poo poo ever, makes it impossible to overdraft your checking account and loose an entire DD check.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

bunnielab posted:

Eh, when I was young and poor that would have been the best poo poo ever, makes it impossible to overdraft your checking account and loose an entire DD check.

If it's anything ike the debit card Virginia gave me from my tax refund last year, it'll have a bunch of restrictions (one online purchase, on atm withdrawal, accepted at participating locations) and you'll end up paying your bank $10 to treat it as a cash advance just to get your money off the card

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kenning posted:

Yeah, I had a banquet cook position briefly that tried to do that poo poo, I argued with them for a week, essentially refused to work for them unless they found another way to pay me, and they set up direct deposit in the end. The job was incredibly lovely for other reasons though, so I didn't stick around for that long in the end.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Our company offers either direct deposit or prepaid cards. I don't know a single person with a prepaid card. And considering the bank I've never heard of gift card I got for my Christmas bonus (which was only slightly less bizarre than the 401k plan I was offered this month), I don't want to see the prepaids.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Of course comfy café job is too good to be true. First paycheck bounced. Time to start searching again. Awesome.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Of course comfy café job is too good to be true. First paycheck bounced. Time to start searching again. Awesome.

Aww, man. That poo poo is the worst. :smith:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Finally oh loving finally my keyfob works and I can come and go from my apartment as I please. 9-5 is still REALLY weird to me. The rinky-dink market next to my apartment has humboldt fog and d'artagnan chorizo. Yay Queens.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

what does that even mean? the owners are knowingly stiffing you? do you go in and say like 'hey, my check bounced?'? is the place hopelessly underwater or something? Or are you saying you just aren't gonna show up and take the loss?

please go in :(

you have knives, afterall :)

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

mindphlux posted:

what does that even mean? the owners are knowingly stiffing you? do you go in and say like 'hey, my check bounced?'? is the place hopelessly underwater or something? Or are you saying you just aren't gonna show up and take the loss?

please go in :(

you have knives, afterall :)

Oh, yeah. I'm going in today to work my shift and ask the owner. It's actually doing rather well as a business, but the owner is having some pretty severe difficulties in her private life that are starting to interfere with things. Ideally I'll get a proper check that doesn't bounce and I'll continue working happily until I find another job where I don't have to worry about getting entangled in someone else's affairs. Or she flips her poo poo and I walk and contact the labor board. Honestly as hosed as her personal life seems to be getting I wouldn't be too surprised if she didn't handle this well either.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

What the gently caress do they teach these loving people in culinary school these days?

I spent fifteen minutes trying to get my hand to stop bleeding tonight at work. Ended up resorting to just walking around swearing with it elevated and under pressure, and then supergluing a skin flap down on my knuckle. How'd I cut it?

Our newest baker, who just finished her degree at Johnson & Wales in CO, apparently doesn't have the sense god gave little green apples. Not only did she decide to use one of the store's paring knives to open loving boxes of butter, she left that cocksucker in the fridge. So of course, when I go digging for the blood orange curd I made yesterday for today's danishes, I found it. With the back of my hand to the sharp side.

I wish to do murder right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

What the gently caress do they teach these loving people in culinary school these days?

I spent fifteen minutes trying to get my hand to stop bleeding tonight at work. Ended up resorting to just walking around swearing with it elevated and under pressure, and then supergluing a skin flap down on my knuckle. How'd I cut it?

Our newest baker, who just finished her degree at Johnson & Wales in CO, apparently doesn't have the sense god gave little green apples. Not only did she decide to use one of the store's paring knives to open loving boxes of butter, she left that cocksucker in the fridge. So of course, when I go digging for the blood orange curd I made yesterday for today's danishes, I found it. With the back of my hand to the sharp side.

I wish to do murder right now.

That sounds less like a lack of education and more like a dangerous lack of common sense. Luckily those people tend to weed themselves out pretty quickly.

• Locked thread