Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a new cavalry caster?

VV
sweet

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Its Stryker3.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
the point about merc access wasn't specifically aimed at cygnar as many of the better merc/minion units are commonly taken in place of in faction infantry in many of the lists I have seen or played against, especially usual suspects like nyss/gatormans/boomholwers.

I remember one particular tournament I went to watch a friend play and the top 3-4 players had at least one or more of those units in all their lists despite being different factions. I was actually more interested to see how restricting the access to their units would affect the overall competitiveness of Mercs, well that and how it would change list construction across the factions with broader Merc access.

In an unrelated topic we have a new player interested in picking up Circle but I am at a complete loss as to which warlock I should suggest for someone picking up the game (none of our locals play circle). Is pKaya going to teach them the ins and outs of circle but still be simple to play at first? he likes everything in the faction so his choices are unrestricted.

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 29, 2014

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

Taking ten seconds from Cygnar doomsayin' to do a little Cygnar fanboying:

:allears:

(From Matt Wilson's Twitter)

So in addition to just making GBS threads all over Cygnar players with lack lustre infantry, they decide to put a dude jumping a wall on a horse on two legs.

If that doesn't say gently caress you to all their players I'm not sure what else will.

Gotta say that they really went hard on the 'expressive and dynamic' models that I've heard some people say WMH's models lack.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
I think what is really concerning everyone about this photo though is there is no horse dong in frame, something has clearly has gone wrong in the sculpting process:argh:.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm gonna have to buy 5 stryker3's and swap the horses out for the ones my Bringers have.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
When I get stryker3 i am sculpting a gigantic horse dong to make him fit in.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Spoiler: the wall is actually only two of the contact points for the base, the dong is the third.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Maybe they're gonna go in a new direction - meticulously sculpted horse labia.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
It appears as if there is a small bump......also that we are all analyzing a photo for horse cock.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Balance wise, Warmachine factions are fine.

As a whole game, Warmachine MK2 is broken as balls.

Huge sections of the factions are malfunctioning.

All of those malfunctioning piles of junk are hurting the game. When you have to snuff out the dreams of new players about wanting to play with Man-o-wars, Helljacks, Storm Knights, etc, it makes the game look idiotic.

It isn't like a model here or there isn't up to par.

If Storm Blades were kind of crap, but Storm Lances and Storm Guard were fine, that would be one thing, but that isn't how it is.

If Demo Corp were kind of crap, but Shocktroopers and the Bombardiers were fine, that would be one thing, but that isn't how it is.

People get interested in the game, get told the truth, and quit.

I don't blame them either. It isn't so much that they don't have the experience to see the game for what it is, but that the vet players are so blinkered that they can't even see a huge portion of the models in the actual game anymore.

Trenchers exist god drat it!

What kind of idiot game puts robots fighting robots, and lighting knights on the front cover of the main rulebook, only to have them be stuff you are basically not supposed to play with?

I mean really:

Ironclad
Stormblades
Cyclone
Lancer
Trenchers
pHaley

If they'd only subbed in pStryker vs the purification caster on the front cover. It would have summarized things perfectly.

It isn't that woe is Cygnar. It is that woe is half of our iconic stuff. Which gets straw manned into some sort of faction purity argument.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Cyclomatic posted:

All of those malfunctioning piles of junk are hurting the game. When you have to snuff out the dreams of new players about wanting to play with Man-o-wars, Helljacks, Storm Knights, etc, it makes the game look idiotic.

If Storm Blades were kind of crap, but Storm Lances and Storm Guard were fine, that would be one thing, but that isn't how it is.

If Demo Corp were kind of crap, but Shocktroopers and the Bombardiers were fine, that would be one thing, but that isn't how it is.

I don't blame them either. It isn't so much that they don't have the experience to see the game for what it is, but that the vet players are so blinkered that they can't even see a huge portion of the models in the actual game anymore.

What kind of idiot game puts robots fighting robots, and lighting knights on the front cover of the main rulebook, only to have them be stuff you are basically not supposed to play with?

I mean really:

Ironclad
Stormblades
Cyclone
Lancer
Trenchers
pHaley

If they'd only subbed in pStryker vs the purification caster on the front cover. It would have summarized things perfectly.

It isn't that woe is Cygnar. It is that woe is half of our iconic stuff. Which gets straw manned into some sort of faction purity argument.

Why the gently caress wouldn't you use phaley other than that she isn't quite as good as her epic form? She is still quite powerful. Also, I saw the cyclone used quite a bit before the stormwall came out.

Trenchers suffer from the same thing pretty much every cra unit in mk1 suffers from, that being that cra was overcosted in the mk2 transition.

I've seen man o wars used quite effectively several times.

The problem is that too many players get caught up in what is the best units in their faction for a specific role and then ignore everything else that can do the role well, just not as good as the best unit for the job. And unless you are planning on playing at a national level you can usually get away with using some units you like instead of the absolute best.

The simple fact is that perfect balance is impossible to achieve. If you insist on min/maxing then sure there are a lot of models you will never use. Telling a new player "these models suck don't play them" is almost always a lovely thing to do.

On, and the winner at lock and load masters had assault kommandos, one of the most put down units in the game, in one of his lists. Just think on that for a bit.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I hate the line of reasoning that half the stuff in the game is utterly unplayable because of what top-level competitive players insist. I mean, the way the rhetoric is, I'd think Trenchers have a statline of "MAT 0, RAT 0, P+S Add $300 to your mortgage payment" or that actually putting them on the table just causes the table to crash to a blue screen. It's a whole cycle of problems that is basically unsolvable, because if they buff Cephalyx Drudges the internet will just wheel around and declare Ghost Pirates the "worst unit in the game, oh my god why are they even in the system" etc.

Of course, that sounds like I'm saying "Go buy units you think are objectively bad" but realistically I would prefer it to be "Go buy whatever and play as it and so will I" directed at people that talk up how cool Bethayne is or how they really want a whole army of lightning men. They can't though, because the guy behind the counter at the local nerd store has the same viral optimizing disease we all do, and will gently guide their hands towards the Stormwall while laughing at them for picking up the Stormblades on accident.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Cyclomatic posted:

I mean really:

Ironclad
Stormblades
Cyclone
Lancer
Trenchers
pHaley

[citation needed]

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

2/3 Man'o'War units are playable in some pretty specific lists, granted, but they can be used. Storm Blades/Guard are pretty awful for the points cost, but Storm Lances are actually pretty playable with a few different casters.

Every Warmachine faction has some bad eggs, nobody bats a thousand, but most of those are in the form of Warjacks rather than units. Even with Cygnar, if they had more competitively priced Warjacks I wouldn't have time to complain about Stormnouns because I'd be too busy drooling over Ironclads. But even so, there are half a dozen or so competitive warjacks in the faction. Let's not be too hyperbolic here.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

theironjef posted:

I hate the line of reasoning that half the stuff in the game is utterly unplayable because of what top-level competitive players insist. I mean, the way the rhetoric is, I'd think Trenchers have a statline of "MAT 0, RAT 0, P+S Add $300 to your mortgage payment" or that actually putting them on the table just causes the table to crash to a blue screen. It's a whole cycle of problems that is basically unsolvable, because if they buff Cephalyx Drudges the internet will just wheel around and declare Ghost Pirates the "worst unit in the game, oh my god why are they even in the system" etc.

Of course, that sounds like I'm saying "Go buy units you think are objectively bad" but realistically I would prefer it to be "Go buy whatever and play as it and so will I" directed at people that talk up how cool Bethayne is or how they really want a whole army of lightning men. They can't though, because the guy behind the counter at the local nerd store has the same viral optimizing disease we all do, and will gently guide their hands towards the Stormwall while laughing at them for picking up the Stormblades on accident.

I agree in that a lot of awful units are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be. Every faction does have some stinkers and I think that's mostly okay (but holy christ give me a reason to own a heavy rifle team because those are the coolest looking). I think you run into the biggest issue when it's the marquee models for a faction, which is why you hear it with Cygnar and Khador the most. Both end up playing pretty different than advertized (Stormnouns aren't super-duper-great, only one jack most times in Khador) so you'll see the most backlash from players compared to other factions like Ret or Trolls that play very much to expectations. Luckily, this can all be fixed with good UA's or Solo's if Privateer wants to buff these units.

Edit: Also, I picked up that lot of trolls mentioned earlier. Where am I going to put all these metal men?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

CaptCommy posted:

Edit: Also, I picked up that lot of trolls mentioned earlier. Where am I going to put all these metal men?

In a KR Multicase, hopefully.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

S.J. posted:

In a KR Multicase, hopefully.

How did you know?! I've actually got a Kaiser2 that's full of Ret stuff, need to order some more boxes/trays for trolls but that's probably going to have to wait since I just blew my fun-budget for the next few weeks.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I started playing a few months ago, and even though I'm not able to make it to weeknight games, I'm going to participate in a 50 point tournament at the end of March. I cleared it with the EO, they're up for a couple newbies. I know full well that I will be crushed, but I'm hoping to both learn from my inevitable mistakes and get some more games under my belt against a wider selection of players.

That said, how do I avoid being annoying as a first time tournament player, especially at 50 points? I'll reread the rulebook a couple times in the mean time, and I've listened to some podcasts about general etiquette, but anything I'm likely to overlook?

In the same vein, I was thinking of keeping my model count to a minimum to keep my turns tight and short. Problem is, I play Khador; without asking you guys to build a whole list, what do you think are low model count themes that have a fighting chance? I was thinking pVlad with three heavies for the feat speed, or pButcher Heart of Darkness tier for fast, cheap MoW shocktroopers and demo corp.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

parabolic posted:

I started playing a few months ago, and even though I'm not able to make it to weeknight games, I'm going to participate in a 50 point tournament at the end of March. I cleared it with the EO, they're up for a couple newbies. I know full well that I will be crushed, but I'm hoping to both learn from my inevitable mistakes and get some more games under my belt against a wider selection of players.

That said, how do I avoid being annoying as a first time tournament player, especially at 50 points? I'll reread the rulebook a couple times in the mean time, and I've listened to some podcasts about general etiquette, but anything I'm likely to overlook?

In the same vein, I was thinking of keeping my model count to a minimum to keep my turns tight and short. Problem is, I play Khador; without asking you guys to build a whole list, what do you think are low model count themes that have a fighting chance? I was thinking pVlad with three heavies for the feat speed, or pButcher Heart of Darkness tier for fast, cheap MoW shocktroopers and demo corp.

Bring cookies.

Kinda serious.

But serious-er: Nah, sounds like you got the basics down. Let your opponents know you're new, and the more experienced players should help you through your first couple rounds as they're blowing up your army. Tournaments are far and away the best way to go from a newb to an actually good player; you learn more in the 3-4 games at a tourney than you do in 30-40 casual games. Just be open to learning, open to losing, open to having fun.

As for lists and 'Caster suggestions: You really can't go wrong with pVlad and pButch. For your first tournament, I think you're on the right track looking at more straightforward lists that you can point at the enemy and fire with. And if you like those 'Casters, I say go for it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
YYYEeessss finally beat bloody Terminus. Turns out his players overestimated his staying power a bit, and while he cleaned out my WGIS and Destroyer in one turn, I charged with pSorscha and rammed Frostfang up his tailpipe for a win <3

Panzeh posted:

When I get stryker3 i am sculpting a gigantic horse dong to make him fit in.

The new thread title, no contest.

S.J. posted:

2/3 Man'o'War units are playable in some pretty specific lists, granted, but they can be used. Storm Blades/Guard are pretty awful for the points cost, but Storm Lances are actually pretty playable with a few different casters.

..I love my MoW stormtroopers, but then I also lose a lot. Where would you say they work best?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Where can I read more on sneaky "this faction actually plays very differently to what it looks like" or unusable/bad iconic units? I've heard such things a few times and I'd like to avoid the nastier traps while I pick my faction.

(I have no intention of playing Cygnar; my current preference is Cyriss/Cryx/Everblight)

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Khador only has heavy 'jacks but is not a faction that wants to field an army of all warjacks. But play Khador anyway

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Pierzak posted:

Where can I read more on sneaky "this faction actually plays very differently to what it looks like" or unusable/bad iconic units? I've heard such things a few times and I'd like to avoid the nastier traps while I pick my faction.

(I have no intention of playing Cygnar; my current preference is Cyriss/Cryx/Everblight)

No idea about Cyriss, and I've been out of the loop for a while, but as long as you don't want to play Undead Pirates or Nyss Archer units, you should be fine with those. Cephalyx too, I guess. :v:

Also, why is Cyriss a "limited" faction?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Circle Orboros: Everything is awesome and everyone is happy! The advertised faction aesthetic (beat your opponent's face in with giant furry/stony beasts) is how it plays out, even at the highest level of competition. Like every faction there are some suboptimal units/beasts, but very few are so bad that you would never have a reason to take them.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

Cyriss is limited because it won't be part of the main release cycle like the other main factions, as a result they may not get any new models some years if at all once all the forces book has been released.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Pierzak posted:

They all play exactly how they look like they do.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Legion infantry is fairly doable, it's just a more caster-specific playstyle because most of the casters don't do a whole lot for them and none of the legion infantry is particularly survivable.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Actually, if I decide on Legion I'd like to run beast-heavy, the totally-not-dark-elves look of their infantry does nothing for me. I figure that if I wanted infantry I could play pretty much any other game.

Thanks for the answers, I'll check back once I play a game or two with each of them and decide on which one to start.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 29, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Tias posted:

YYYEeessss finally beat bloody Terminus. Turns out his players overestimated his staying power a bit, and while he cleaned out my WGIS and Destroyer in one turn, I charged with pSorscha and rammed Frostfang up his tailpipe for a win <3

The new thread title, no contest.

..I love my MoW stormtroopers, but then I also lose a lot. Where would you say they work best?

Butcher theme force, Vlad3, Irusk2.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pierzak posted:

Actually, if I decide on Legion I'd like to run beast-heavy, the totally-not-dark-elves look of their infantry does nothing for me. I figure that if I wanted infantry I could play pretty much any other game.

Thanks for the answers, I'll check back once I play a game or two with each of them and decide on which one to start.

You're in luck, then. Legion beast heavy works like a charm. Still useful to have an infantry unit though just for the scenario presence, but at lower point levels you'll be okay.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
An interesting discussion about the preconceived ideas of factions in general and Cygnar in particular. While I agree that Cygnar is currently at the top of their game, most of it stems from a couple very strong warcasters and a great Colossal, while other parts of the faction are lacking. The argument that Cygnar is strong because of all the merc support is bullshit; most Warmachine factions can take Boomhowlers, but I don't see my Menoth or Cryx buddies running around with out-of-faction units, because their in-faction stuff fills the roles perfectly.

I also don't think buffing particular models or units would skew the meta and make other units obsolete or bad; ideally, you would create options. Having Long Gunners cost about as much as Gunmages wouldn't make the latter unit obsolete, it would give the player the choice between high volume of attacks/CRA or toolbox attacks with better defensive stats.

That being said, I think this forum hates far too much on Stormblades, even the whiny PP Cygnar forums start recommending these dudes. They might not be super-tournament-worthy and die in droves, but they are one of our best armor answers as long as you can get them upfield. I'm about to try doing just that with Stryker2.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

As long as you can get them upfield lol

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
We have the tools, too bad they're tied up elsewhere, buffing out jacks. Curse you, Arcane Shield Tax!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Deflection, Deceleration, Blur... Hell, if Trenchers were 4/6 or even 5/8 that'd be an implicit buff to Stormblades and Stormguard too.

If I were designing Trenchers as a 6/10 unit with a 3-point UA I'd tack on Camoflage and Reform. That way even though they've got a pile of abilities that can't be used at once, all of those abilities are more than pleasantly mediocre when it's their turn to be used.

There's definitely considerable value in AD SPD 6 smoke clouds, it's just not a point per model.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Luebbi posted:

An interesting discussion about the preconceived ideas of factions in general and Cygnar in particular. While I agree that Cygnar is currently at the top of their game, most of it stems from a couple very strong warcasters and a great Colossal, while other parts of the faction are lacking. The argument that Cygnar is strong because of all the merc support is bullshit; most Warmachine factions can take Boomhowlers, but I don't see my Menoth or Cryx buddies running around with out-of-faction units, because their in-faction stuff fills the roles perfectly.

I also don't think buffing particular models or units would skew the meta and make other units obsolete or bad; ideally, you would create options. Having Long Gunners cost about as much as Gunmages wouldn't make the latter unit obsolete, it would give the player the choice between high volume of attacks/CRA or toolbox attacks with better defensive stats.

That being said, I think this forum hates far too much on Stormblades, even the whiny PP Cygnar forums start recommending these dudes. They might not be super-tournament-worthy and die in droves, but they are one of our best armor answers as long as you can get them upfield. I'm about to try doing just that with Stryker2.

Protectorate has a very limited merc pool(which does not include boomhowlers), and pretty much all their buffs are friendly faction. You will occasionally see hammer dwarves with a priest, but that is about it.

Cryx has 2 of the best units in the game that no other faction can compete with(bane thralls and satyxis) so they have no reason to go out of faction. Or use the rest of their faction, so they rarely do so.

Longer Gunners suffer from the MK1 CRA tax just like every other MK1 CRA unit.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Another spoiler from Matt Wilson's twitter about their Templecon Presentation:

Cephalyx reveal at Templecon?

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Certainly looks like it. Replacing hands with blades, as with the hook thingy on the right, is something that you see on drudges already.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Also it perfectly matches the hidden League art which was absolutely Cephalyxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Cephalyx being the hordes faction(which would be somewhat odd considering the only existing cephelyx are part of cryx) to be the counterpart of CoC would make me perfectly happy, as it means it will be a faction I have no desire to collect at all.

• Locked thread