Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Disco Infiva posted:

Only Gondor and Alderaan, Equestria is from Harry Potter. :colbert:

I think you've got your nerddoms mixed up there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Mustang posted:

There's known modern descendants of Rurik? Aren't known lineages that go back that far pretty rare? I know Japan's imperial family is really old and I guess the Capets live on as Bourbons.

Absolutely. The Muscovite branch of the Rurkid line went extinct, but there were many, many others, and of course Rurikovich princesses married into basically every other house in Europe so if you don't just count legitimate male-line ones you can come up with many descendants of Rurik.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Mustang posted:

There's known modern descendants of Rurik? Aren't known lineages that go back that far pretty rare? I know Japan's imperial family is really old and I guess the Capets live on as Bourbons.

Also the House of Este, whose first known member died in the 900s, has a surviving male line in the ex-Hanoverians and survives in other lines as basically every European royal house (the Welfs/Guelphs in particular got around).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Speaking of genes, have some gene maps(?).

Finland used to be quite isolated.

Kuusamo is located in sparsely populated NE Finland and has relatively large amount of genetical diseases (nothing Lovecraftian though). I've read that the researchers love Finland because people haven't mixed a lot and there's good records for several centuries.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Holy gently caress that poo poo is awesome! Where did you find that? It's so endlessly fascinating. That's so really cool.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

3peat posted:

I'm feeling trolled by this map.
If there's any region on earth that has nothing to do with Bohemia or Hungary, it's the German-speaking countries.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kennel posted:

Finland used to be quite isolated.

Kuusamo is located in sparsely populated NE Finland and has relatively large amount of genetical diseases (nothing Lovecraftian though). I've read that the researchers love Finland because people haven't mixed a lot and there's good records for several centuries.

I don't really understand how this map works, the second one. Does it show how close people's genes are? i.e France is close to Italy and Switzerland?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Kurtofan posted:

I don't really understand how this map works, the second one. Does it show how close people's genes are? i.e France is close to Italy and Switzerland?
Yes.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/09/whats-the-matter-with-finland/#more-6672

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Shbobdb posted:

Holy gently caress that poo poo is awesome! Where did you find that? It's so endlessly fascinating. That's so really cool.

First is from New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/science/13visual.html?_r=0

Also note that those are still very close and someone from Japan or Nigeria would be off the charts.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Speaking of Finland, have an old map:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kennel posted:

I wonder where the Basque would be on these graphs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lycus posted:

I wonder where the Basque would be on these graphs.

They're actually fairly similar genetically.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I know this isn't flag chat, but

http://www.thisismarvelous.com/i/52--National-Flags-Made-From-Each-Countrys-Traditional-Foods

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I know we've had quite a few of those flight maps before, but this one's pretty great. Showing you where every plane is/was during the last 24 hours.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2014/aviation-100-years

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

sweek0 posted:

I know we've had quite a few of those flight maps before, but this one's pretty great. Showing you where every plane is/was during the last 24 hours.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2014/aviation-100-years

Nice graphic. That's a map where one could legitimately complain about a Mercator projection.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

KernelSlanders posted:

Nice graphic. That's a map where one could legitimately complain about a Mercator projection.

Yeah apparently planes move a lot faster in the arctic than they do at the low latitudes.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
http://www.mapsnworld.com/germany/where-is-germany.html

:pwn:

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Internet party like it's 1999.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why does it say garmany?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Real hurthling! posted:

why does it say garmany?

Who cares about spelling when you've got an exciting, never-before-seen projection that has the special ability to add rivers to Antarctica!

Tommy Calamari
Feb 25, 2006

You see, there are three things that spur the mollusk from the sand

"Austria has nearly half of its population covered with forests."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

quote:

A landlocked country in central Europe, LibyaAustria, though small, is a country of startling contrasts.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
"Occupied by Germany"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That link certainly has some awkward phrasing. It clearly attempts to be idiomatic, but everything is slightly off. It's fascinating.

quote:

Every town and village of Belarus is occupied with lovely people, beautiful nature and definitely heart-warming landscape. Most people of Belarus living outside the capital city spend a very simple life.

quote:

After having bore the burnt of terrorist violence, Ireland is now experiencing peace and tourism is flourishing.

quote:

The birth land of Mother Teresa, it is still relatively ensconced from touristic expeditions and offers an elated stint to sightseers all over the world.

quote:

Denmark is an interesting country with its happy go lucky natives who are spending a content and quality life.

Confirm/deny, Buttery Pastry?

quote:

Norway is the European country

That's the entire submission.

quote:

Finland’s huge investment in education, training and research has stood the country in good stead by delivering educated and trained workforce in the world.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Where did they get their map of Yugoslavia from?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The 1930s

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The size of Alaska:

The population of Alaska:

How the rest of that land is run:

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 29, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

The size of Alaska:

Sweet jesus. I just looked up the area on wiki, and indeed Alaska is bigger than the next 3 states combined (Texas, California, Montana). I did not realize the difference was so large.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Count Roland posted:

Sweet jesus. I just looked up the area on wiki, and indeed Alaska is bigger than the next 3 states combined (Texas, California, Montana). I did not realize the difference was so large.

Well, in the oft-maligned Mercator Projection, Alaska is about half as big as the entire contiguous United States.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Count Roland posted:

Due to its size and noncontiguity, it's conventionally drawn at a different scale than the rest of the country on US maps, but yeah it's huge.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

The only important thing in these maps is to ensure that Poland always remains in Eastern Europe. Even if we decide Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, Slovakia and the Czech Republic are all in some other group for some reason, Poland must always remain in the Eastern group (with Russia), because it makes annoying Polish hyper-nationalists just furious.

Complaining about Polish nationalists in a thread that's been almost nothing but a series of self-obsessed Nordic / Benelux circlejerks for as long as I can remember is quite rich.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Well, in the oft-maligned Mercator Projection, Alaska is about half as big as the entire contiguous United States.

Yeah, I knew it was big, I just figured it was a trick of the projection. Nope!

This is why I need a globe.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Alaska is larger than the entire Mexican Cession.

It's the size of two Borneos, or 3 Spains, or 4 Zimbabwes, or 5 Madhya Pradeshes, or 10 Georgias (the US state).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The best part of Seward's Folly is most of it is worthless.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Peanut President posted:

I think that depends on what your usage is.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Climate change insurance.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

steinrokkan posted:

Complaining about Polish nationalists in a thread that's been almost nothing but a series of self-obsessed Nordic / Benelux circlejerks for as long as I can remember is quite rich.

:rolleyes:
Really...

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Peanut President posted:

That really depends on what you consider worth. Do you consider just the material wealth what gives territory value? Just having the territory itself can be of value.

The ocean doesn't hold much value for humans, but being able to lay claim to it is very important for a lot of nations. Just look at the situation between China/Japan/Korea

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Wasn't part of the reasoning just to not have the Russians so close to the parts we care about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

made of bees posted:

Wasn't part of the reasoning just to not have the Russians so close to the parts we care about?

At the time, no. It was something closer to "If we don't buy it, the British will."