Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think you don't have to declare things like personal medication. But I'm not an expert. I just carry prescription medication through Chinese airports every time I go through and I've never been stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Rogue posted:

I have some questions about customs. My 2-month trip to Suzhou for work is coming up and I have some things I need to bring with me.

2) I have to bring some samples for work that are used to calibrate electron microscopes - a line standard with divisions of known length, a metal standard with very small bits of pure gold, copper, iron, etc. They would all be in a box that's about 3 by 2 inches. Looking at the list of things that have to be declared by customs, it doesn't seem to fall under anything there - except for the distance standard, which is purchased from a metrology company in the US and is worth a few thousand dollars, so more than 5000RMB. Should I declare that? For the other standards (gold, copper, iron wires, gold nanospheres on a carbon planchette), would I need to have Material Safety Data Sheets for all of the components they contain or anything like that?

Sorry, I know these are sort of niche questions but I was wondering if anyone had any experience as I do some googling.

Are you in Suzhou manufacturing? PM me if you work with Metal Stamping. Anyways it would be cool to meet up in Suzhou/Shanghai! Work sends me there from time to time.

In Theory

In short no problems with bringing it in within a 6 month period. China loves seeing new things and reverse engineer them :downsrim:

http://www.china-tax.net/pub/Taxation_on_temporary_import_and_export_goods.pdf

It's usually the North American and European Customs which charge a hefty temporary import license for expos and trade fairs :suicide:

In Practice

Customs are assholes. If it's a small box just hand carry it and walk through immigration. If they do pick you out (unlikely) you can choose if you want to pay for the duty. If you don't want to pay for duty you can rent a locker and have the item stashed there.

This is according to my engineers who have to deal with clients bringing too many foreign booze/work samples/cigarettes

caberham fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 29, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just a few more hours and I'm clocking out! Still grumpy that I didn't win any big mega prizes at the New Year Lucky Draw

HAPPY YEAR OF THE pony HORSE :china:

Hurray for all these goons coming in. I'm planning a mega goon meet Saturday. But really, don't think there are any more lurkers nowadays.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
So, SITUATION UPDATE!

Two days ago we met with a guy from the labour department, and got, well, the same old story. My boss starts making threats again, this time, demaning 8000 RMB for a release, which is just out of the question. So we finally just ask the lawyers if switching to a tourist visa will change anything about our situation vis-a-vis a lawsuit. It doesn't, so we agree to meet the boss and get switched to an exit visa.

Here's where the fun begins.

My boss meets us after making us wait an hour and a half at the police station. She shows us the documents she has brought, stating that I broke the contract etc.,. We disagree with this interpretation of events, so she straight up says to my girlfriend "Sue me". She then goes up the stairs with us but makes us wait outside some offices "wait here" she says. She goes in, there is some noises of talking/yelling (I can never tell which is which) and she rushes out and declares "The police man said you don't have to meet him, come with me". A profound sense of unease leads to me refusing this and my girlfriend and I decide to find the agent in question. We find him, and while he is at first furious, his tone changes and he explains to us that my boss had just told him I'd refused to meet her and she had to cancel my visa immediately as I was missing and uncooperative. We recorded the whole conversation, including his phone call to her where he chews her out for motherfucking LYING TO THE POLICE. "How can he be missing" the policeman asks her over the phone, "when he is right here in my office, cooperating?". This puts a stop on her straight up canceling my visa.

We meet her again today (yesterday's tomorrow), after the police kindly inform her that she HAS to do this. Along with a short confusing mess of registering the apartment I'm staying in with the police (all legit, thankfully, and acceptable to them), we get my passport and visa request over to the police. I should have to leave the country by the 28th, and will be getting my passport back the 17th.

What a loving mess, eh?

The nice thing is we now have proof of my employer lying to the police, on top of blackmail and threats, so the case against her gets stronger.

A great quote from the policeman, overheard on the phone "Why do you keep doing this? You keep doing this. Stop hiring foreigners."

But yeah, so here's the options I have to ask about, gooniepies:

1. A visa run to Hong Kong for my new employer (the less expensive?? choice I think). I've never done this before and it's, frankly, scary to me.

2. A trip home to my parents. They've offered to pay my way back, and I'm certain they'll pay the way to china again -but it's not guaranteed. I don't know if I can wrangle airfare out of my prospective employer.

And on top of that, today I leave for my girlfriend's grandparents for spring Festival. When will the stress end?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Ceciltron posted:

But yeah, so here's the options I have to ask about, gooniepies:

1. A visa run to Hong Kong for my new employer (the less expensive?? choice I think). I've never done this before and it's, frankly, scary to me.

As long as all the paperwork for your new employer is legit and complete, it shouldn't be scary. Just plan to have 3 days in HK in case something goes wrong, as that gives you enough time for two to three attempts at getting your visa.

This is assuming your previous visa really was a legit Z visa, in which case AFAIK you should not need to go do the whole apostilled criminal background check thing. (I didn't, but that was in August, while no one knew what the gently caress was going on.) If you DO need to do that you'll probably need to do option 2.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 29, 2014

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
What was the point of switching visas? Does this mean you've been released or you still have to sue her to release you so you can get another job?

^Criminal background check requirement hasn't made it to many cities afaik, thought it was just Beijing still.

Arakan fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 29, 2014

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

VideoTapir posted:

As long as all the paperwork for your new employer is legit and complete, it shouldn't be scary. Just plan to have 3 days in HK in case something goes wrong, as that gives you enough time for two to three attempts at getting your visa.

This is assuming your previous visa really was a legit Z visa, in which case AFAIK you should not need to go do the whole apostilled criminal background check thing. (I didn't, but that was in August, while no one knew what the gently caress was going on.) If you DO need to do that you'll probably need to do option 2.

yeah, just give yourself 3 days in HK--come in, go to the office first thing Monday morning, and do next-day service. BUT after all the stress and mess, head to the US and take a week to do it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
How did you record the phone call? I'm lost? Oh wow turn of events. I'm leaving for the Sacred Land of the Yamato Feb 3, will be back by Feb 10.

Airfare right now is ultra expensive. Not sure if you can even get a flight being the prime holiday season. After the 10, there are lots of airfare deals.

But yeah HK goon refuge is open. From now on Hong Kong will be called the Ceciltron railroad.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I hope your boss loving dies. People like that can go to hell. gently caress that bitch.
I like the fact that the cop chewed her out. Awesome.

Maybe she can marry TWM and be happily ever after. He's the Internet Tough Guy, she's the Real Life UltraBitch. Match made in hellheaven.

Ceciltron, come to Shanghai for fun and good times when all this is over. Got a spare room for ye.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
My boss, knowing I have a great predilection for wines, once told me I should try Great Wall red wine. What's that word for rich with no taste? Dirt-Good? Tou-Hao?

I'd never be so insulted in my life! Non-European wines! How Dare They! (I do make an exception for some north african, South-American and a select few North American wines)

caberham posted:

How did you record the phone call? I'm lost? Oh wow turn of events.

We had my girlfriend's phone recording the office side of the phone call, which was basically Yelling.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Ceciltron posted:

(I do make an exception for some north african, South-American and a select few North American wines)

What, no :vuvu:?! :argh:

Shanghai invite revoked. :colbert:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

BadAstronaut posted:

What, no :vuvu:?! :argh:

Shanghai invite revoked. :colbert:

Never had any. Do you have a bottle to share? I will lend my expert tongue and nose to the exploration of its supple aromas and curious bouquets.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Seriously, does there exist a Chinese wine that is even drinkable let alone good?

Ceciltron posted:

Never had any. Do you have a bottle to share? I will lend my expert tongue and nose to the exploration of its supple aromas and curious bouquets.

My red wine drinking friend likes Obikwa's cabernet sauvignon.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I bought a 400 Kuai bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape and it had turned to vinegar so I wept profusely.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Ceciltron posted:

My boss, knowing I have a great predilection for wines, once told me I should try Great Wall red wine. What's that word for rich with no taste? Dirt-Good? Tou-Hao?

I'd never be so insulted in my life! Non-European wines! How Dare They! (I do make an exception for some north african, South-American and a select few North American wines)

We had my girlfriend's phone recording the office side of the phone call, which was basically Yelling.

If you have not tried S.A. (Cape Town hinterland) and Australian wines (from around Adelaide and over by Margaret River) you are seriously missing something. There are five Mediterranean climates- Chile, S.A., Oz, California and the actual Mediterranean. All have excellent examples of both wines and olives if you are selective,

Amazing story. HK is easy and risk free, though travel the next couple of weeks will be a nightmare. You might negotiate something for just after the 10th if you have any leverage.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I'm not getting my passport back until the 17th, and I have to leave by the 28th, so my window is actually rather narrow.

Also now I crave olives. I would kill a man for some nice canned basque olives.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Are you sure you don't mean South African instead of north African? Algerian wine is kinda meh.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Peruvian sun cured olives, though there are some from right here where I live that are really as good. Olives are a staple in my diet basically.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Jeoh posted:

Are you sure you don't mean South African instead of north African? Algerian wine is kinda meh.

Tunisian, dude. Tunisian wines. When you can get them, they are great.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

VideoTapir posted:

Seriously, does there exist a Chinese wine that is even drinkable let alone good?

Yeah I'm pretty sure some Chinese wines won and/or placed highly in some legitimate international competitions within the past few years.

e: I asked tell: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605042

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 29, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ceciltron posted:

Your tastebuds have been tainted by the pollution :barf:

First you mess up Chinese geography then you show your horrible wine tastes?

HK invite revoked :colbert:

Actually, I'm a old world wine snob and secretly prefer Burgundy Red's, Clos de Vougeot rock

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Burgundy red? Chateaunoof doo Peepee? What the hell flavors of Mountain Dew are these?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The one glass of wine I had in Paris was pretty good I think. I'm not an expert or anything.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

BadAstronaut posted:

I hope your boss loving dies. People like that can go to hell. gently caress that bitch.
I like the fact that the cop chewed her out. Awesome.

Maybe she can marry TWM and be happily ever after. He's the Internet Tough Guy, she's the Real Life UltraBitch. Match made in hellheaven.

Ceciltron, come to Shanghai for fun and good times when all this is over. Got a spare room for ye.

Grrr look at me I will never be affected by taunts but I'm still so mad I probably punch myself in the head like a spaz

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I think wine is bad and not good to drink.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

The Worst Muslim posted:

Grrr look at me I will never be affected by taunts but I'm still so mad I probably punch myself in the head like a spaz

:mrgw:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Oh you got to me, that much is clear. The way you quoted a post I made some months earlier when you made me lose it - so you made it your mission to troll and troll and troll until I lost it? Good job.

And like the loser you are, you still spend your time trolling online and posting retarded selfies instead of trying to do anything to improve your life huh? A+ there, son. Good job on working in China - how's that working out for you? Read again: loser.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BadAstronaut you are very bad at this sort of thing.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

BadAstronaut posted:

Oh you got to me, that much is clear. The way you quoted a post I made some months earlier when you made me lose it - so you made it your mission to troll and troll and troll until I lost it? Good job.

And like the loser you are, you still spend your time trolling online and posting retarded selfies instead of trying to do anything to improve your life huh? A+ there, son. Good job on working in China - how's that working out for you? Read again: loser.

:mrgw:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

We should probably move this crap to the LAN thread :)

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

We should probably move this crap to the LAN thread :)

I heard you can get killed at that kumite.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Only if you gently caress up

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Ceciltron posted:

Waffling over revoking the standing Seoul welcome committee invite and chalking this outburst as trauma and having a "re-education" party with BadAstronaut re: wine in the modern world. We're not mad, just... disappointed. :colbert:

E: glad China has the foreigners back more than in Korea. I had a similar battle (though i thankfully didn't break anything in the contract and it was just flat out theft and coercion) on my first contract and it ended up alright, but I'm still trying to recover stolen pension money and i just got back my stolen insurance money a year later. The labor board response over here was laughable on its own, but seeing China be so reasonable makes it even worse.

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 29, 2014

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

drat, well done China Cop. Sounds like your (ex) boss has a history.

Publicly post your Japan souvenir requests to Caber itt.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

BadAstronaut posted:

Why are you so angry all the time? Why you gotta harsh everyone's buzz?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Ceciltron posted:

And on top of that...

I assume you had a quiet word in someone's ear at the E/E Bureau and at SAFEA about your coming application for a work permit (required for the issue of Z visa) with your new employer. You have made sure that nobody is going to decide that it's far too much effort to let you back into the country because you have forced them to have a meeting during an official holiday, yes?

Once your back in the country on another set of docs, I would press for her AELN to be revoked (official complaint to SAFEA by your solicitor CC: the E/E PSB, CC: SAFEA National) or pursue criminal charges against her for forging your signature (there has to be a signed contract in Chinese, if you ain't signed one, she has - you can request a copy of the documents submitted on your behalf).

Or you could just leave it alone.

But do have a care about my first point: SAFEA have always been a dodgier than the PSB and they're the ones who will be issuing you with a new work permit. Bear in mind, if you don't meet all of the regulations then they can toss your application in the trash without a second thought and without breaking any rules.

If your boss has done this before then she may well have someone in her pocket and it's not a stretch to get them to apply the regulations more rigorously than usual simply to find fault with something.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 29, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I made it! I'm in Chongquing for New Year's Eve then Chengdu there after.

Can we update the OP to put me in the Chengdu category?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ceciltron posted:

I bought a 400 Kuai bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape and it had turned to vinegar so I wept profusely.

The vast majority of French wine in China is fake. It's mostly for restaurants but I wouldn't be surprised if you just bought vinegar with a 400 kuai label.

Good to hear about this resolution though, it sounds like this woman is finally getting caught screwing over everyone and everything.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

quote:

she rushes out and declares "The police man said you don't have to meet him, come with me"...

... [she] had just told him I'd refused to meet her and she had to cancel my visa immediately as I was missing and uncooperative.

This pissed me off just reading it. Good on you for not letting her get you with that, and for fighting this so well in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I made it! I'm in Chongquing for New Year's Eve then Chengdu there after.

Can we update the OP to put me in the Chengdu category?

Add your name to the GoonDocs list and I'll put you in Chengduuuuu

MeramJert posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure some Chinese wines won and/or placed highly in some legitimate international competitions within the past few years.

e: I asked tell: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605042

Please report back on this. As I've heard tell they exist, but never actually had any.