Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kavak posted:

Well then :justpost:

I don't have a collection of posts (unless that quarantine thread on the BUOT is still floating around, but I do remember a couple of his finest moments.

His first thread, I think, was about MMA. As in, his conviction that men who knew MMA were the most refined, most perfect specimens of the human race, living deities descended from some higher plain to grace us lowly, non-MMA knowing worms with the glory of their presence. So convinced was he, in fact, of their utter and complete superiority that he literally could not understand how any man (man, specifically: I'm not certain he was aware that women were autonomous thinking individuals) would not immediately commit suicide if they did not know MMA. I think his actual words were something like "but how can you bear to go on, knowing that at any moment some guy could walk up to you in the middle of the street and just destroy you?"

This was his dilemma, you see; he didn't know it himself, and he started the thread in the hope that the forum would talk him out of killing himself.

After that it was gold. He was convinced that the world economic system was on the verge of complete and irreversible collapse, and that we were about to be plunged into a nightmarish apocalyptic scenario where the MMAers would dominate the weak and only gold would retain its value. Then, I think, there was this long debate on what would actually be useful to stockpile if you thought the world was about to end. I think some other kook (I want to say a Finn? Basically all of the Pdoxer Finns are tripping out of their gourds. Jarkko, maybe?) convinced him that the real thing he should be cornering was sugar. And then I think one or the other or both of them went on this long rant about how all of us that weren't doing the eminently sensible thing and sinking all our worldly wealth into sugar right this goddamn loving second were idiots who were totally going to regret it when the world ended and the females only wanted to breed with the strong alpha males with kick-rear end MMA skills and large sugar stockpiles.

...or, I'm getting two entirely separate nervous breakdowns from two entirely separate lunatics conflated. This was a while ago.

After that, I think he was onto the inherent worthlessness of higher education or something, I don't know. I took one look at that thread's title and author and noped the gently caress out of there. He was/is the sort of guy who'd read some crack-brained article on some vanity blog somewhere and come away thinking he was mainlinin' the secret truth of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

First, :lol:

Second, what's a BUOT and why would it be quarantined?

Third, are the forums down for maintenance or something? There's a thread in the DH forum on HOI4 that I want to look at again- lots of worrying about the future of the franchise and grumbling about Paradox shilling to the "Steam Crowd" from one of the game's own devs. He's decided that Paradox is already committed to not making historically accurate OOBs, ministers, and leaders for East Asia, even though the game is over a year from release.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kavak posted:

Third, are the forums down for maintenance or something? There's a thread in the DH forum on HOI4 that I want to look at again- lots of worrying about the future of the franchise and grumbling about Paradox shilling to the "Steam Crowd" from one of the game's own devs. He's decided that Paradox is already committed to not making historically accurate OOBs, ministers, and leaders for East Asia, even though the game is over a year from release.

BUOT is one of several splinter forums formed off of the Pdox forums. It caught a case of EFT and decided to confine him to a special EFT Quarantine Thread, as you do.

And no, they're still up for me. Try a hard refresh?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Kavak posted:

Backup off-topic forum. About 5 years ago, Paradox upgraded the servers their forums were hosted on, or changed the requirements for accessing the off-topic sub-forum, I forget, so some posters started a backup forum that everyone could keep accessing. It didn't have any of the rules that Paradox enforces on its own forums, which I guess is why EFT had so much fun there. I seem to remember him starting a thread about how Wilhelmine Germany's political system was the pinnacle of human achievement.

dublish fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 29, 2014

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
On the subject to converting to Vicky 2, I'm always happy to offer my ridiculous ability to do boring repetitive monotonous modding tasks relatively quickly to make something workable if people care to ask me to do such a thing as it comes up.

Assuming most people are looking for the basic conversion without any frills. This is obviously a case by case basis. Just putting the offer out there.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope you can produce infantry weapons and deal with the proper distribution of said weapons. I feel that controlling just how much Mausers, MP40s, STGs, Gewehr 43 and MG 36 and 42 each division gets would massively improve the efficiency of each unit in each specific scenario.

Say my elite SS divisions are about to attack Stalingrad. It would only be logical for me to stop them for a while in February 1942, strip them of rifles and re-tool them with a few thousand assault rifles. That way, they could clear the city in record time.

I'd also like this re-tooling to affect heavier equipment. Let players order production of cannons so that, again, whenever you're about to storm cities you can strip tanks of their anti tank canons and place flak cannons and high explosive canons.

I'd also like to be able to produce different weighted bombs. I was very frustrated in AoD that i never knew if my bombers were sending 50, 100 or 200 kilo bombs.

And about provinces, let's just say that the people who are complaining about them being too much are not exactly the most inteligent people out there.

Stalingrad, Kiev, Berlin, what did they all have in common? Hard fought battles where each street was a battlefield. Right now all you can do is send a few divisions into Warsaw and then wait until it's over. But how do i know about the battle progress? Why can't i order my German hand picked soldiers to take the post offices and control the train station, vital for the control of the city? The Reichstag for example could be used as a place to put snipers for area control, yet again you can't actually have any control over your soldiers, which is frustrating. If you don't develop a proper "Urban warfare" model for taking cities then you'll never truly make a world war II game and i'll never be actually satisfied with your products.

I hope you take these suggestions to heart and come out with a good game.

Also, give Salazar and Vargas 10\10\10 on the their respective military, economic and diplomatic skills tia.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Careful, there are some modders who might just take you seriously.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
The Wehrmacht point of view only adds to the legitimacy of the post. ~My Elite SS~

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

maev posted:

The Wehrmacht point of view only adds to the legitimacy of the post. ~My Elite SS~

More Darkest Hour mods than not add some kind of unique SS Division to the game- usually more than one. :negative:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Well, CK/EU with Total War-style battles is a classic pie-in-the-sky game wish, so I don't find it so weird that some people would wish for HoI with Company of Heroes-style battles.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
If they make Wiz spend some significant hours on the AI that alone guarantees a day one buy from me. HoI3 would be a heck of a lot better with a competent AI.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Well, CK/EU with Total War-style battles is a classic pie-in-the-sky game wish, so I don't find it so weird that some people would wish for HoI with Company of Heroes-style battles.

Holy gently caress, CKII with Total War battles would take a million loving years to play, even if you'd autoresolve a substantial number of battles. Paradox games are pretty slow as it is (not that I'm complaining), without making each battle take 15 minutes to half an hour of real time.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DStecks posted:

Holy gently caress, CKII with Total War battles would take a million loving years to play, even if you'd autoresolve a substantial number of battles. Paradox games are pretty slow as it is (not that I'm complaining), without making each battle take 15 minutes to half an hour of real time.

If you had Total War style battles then you'd have only a handful (usually 1-2) battles in a war with the first battle being decisive. CK2 can get away with having tons of minor skirmishes because they only take a few seconds of the player's time.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mans posted:

Also, give Salazar and Vargas 10\10\10 on the their respective military, economic and diplomatic skills tia.
Just make sure Salazar's totally historical right-hand-man and enforcer is included in HoI4.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

DStecks posted:

It'd make more sense to combine CK2 with one of those Japanese dating sims I think.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kersch posted:

It'd make more sense to combine CK2 with one of those Japanese dating sims I think.

"King-san, I got you this province from the pagans! B-but not because I like you or anything"

A) "Thank you for your gift, duke-chan"
B) "No you have it!
-->C) [Signal for the assassin to take the shot]

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

->Invite to plot: Get Noticed by Senpai

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Crusader Kings II, the only game to contain more incest than the average dating sim!

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Mans posted:

I hope you can produce infantry weapons and deal with the proper distribution of said weapons. I feel that controlling just how much Mausers, MP40s, STGs, Gewehr 43 and MG 36 and 42 each division gets would massively improve the efficiency of each unit in each specific scenario.

Say my elite SS divisions are about to attack Stalingrad. It would only be logical for me to stop them for a while in February 1942, strip them of rifles and re-tool them with a few thousand assault rifles. That way, they could clear the city in record time.

I'd also like this re-tooling to affect heavier equipment. Let players order production of cannons so that, again, whenever you're about to storm cities you can strip tanks of their anti tank canons and place flak cannons and high explosive canons.

I'd also like to be able to produce different weighted bombs. I was very frustrated in AoD that i never knew if my bombers were sending 50, 100 or 200 kilo bombs.

And about provinces, let's just say that the people who are complaining about them being too much are not exactly the most inteligent people out there.

Let me tell you about East vs West.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kersch posted:

It would probably be pretty close to 'Long Live the Queen' I guess, even if that's not a dating sim.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Not following Paradox religiously, what's up with EvW? It was mentioned a few pages ago that Paradox has a problem with it and that it might/might not be dead, or that it's essentially MM2-Electric Bugaloo. Can a kind soul give a quick run-down of the happenings? Between Supreme Ruler and EvW, the cold war era seems to be particularly hard to transform into the grand strategy format.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
No one outside of those directly involved know for sure, but it is not quite as bad as Magni Mundi. Paradox has approved the plan of doing an open beta crowdfunding situation this spring. Development is ongoing but it sounds like Paradox isn't going to toss money at them or anymore or isn't tossing them the amount they think they need, but Paradox also doesn't seem to think it's so toxic as to keep their name away from it entirely. You probably won't find better clarification than that unless Paradox or the EvW devs themselves wish to comment.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Basically the dev diaries and previews have made EvW look like HoI3-in-the-60s-with-nukes, instead of a game about politics, diplomacy, brinkmanship, decolonization, rebellion, social upheaval, and some war when all other options have been exhausted.

And then a recent announcement for a crowd-sourced open beta would seem to support the idea that EvW is on shaky ground, although we don't know if the particular reason is software-development related or game-concept related.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The no multiplayer part also killed a lot of interest.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DStecks posted:

You'd have to limit it to something like only battles where your character is a leader have the option of playing out Total War style, everything else would autoresolve. It'd make your character even more important and motivate you to put him out in risky situation. It would also open up lovely gamey crap like riding your craven, inbred, reject king directly into the enemy spearline.

Anyway, it will literally never happen because Johan has said the philosophy is to make the games so it doesn't matter if the AI or a player is controlling any given country, it could always be a multiplayer game. You could only do Total War battles if the game was single-player focused, because no one is going to sit around paused for 30 minutes while you resolve the Third Battle of Bently Bridge vs some other player.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mans posted:

The no multiplayer part also killed a lot of interest.

From what I've read, the fact that multiplayer isn't in this probably means that they built the code with the intention of going back and making it later, and found out that they'd have to rewrite lots of it to make a feature like that work, which does not suggest a well developed game. Something similar apparently happened with Naval War: Arctic Circle and saving.

I think EvW is going to turn out to be misfocused and poor, but the Pdox forums are eager for it, so they're making it effectively free-to-play so the fans get something and don't revolt, and this mess doesn't start to affect the publicizing of Hearts of Iron 4 in any way.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Got a little question: I'm playing HOI3 as the USSR and after the Winter War, I can't annex Finland. I got the pop-up asking me what I wanted to do with it twice, making me twice as unpopular with everyone - and twice I chose to annex them fully. But the second I take their last VP, I just get the bits I'd get if I had chosen to just 'take what we asked for'. What's going on?

jobroskie
Mar 3, 2008

Am I pretty yet mommy?
So just in case anyone wanted to follow it I started a let's play of EUIV where we are passing off the save every monarch. Currently we are only on the second dude but it is still fun to follow glorious Burgundy in her attempts to not be blown off the face of the earth. My king only got to last 5 year before death but right now the second king is doing remarkably better than me.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605241

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

R. Mute posted:

Got a little question: I'm playing HOI3 as the USSR and after the Winter War, I can't annex Finland. I got the pop-up asking me what I wanted to do with it twice, making me twice as unpopular with everyone - and twice I chose to annex them fully. But the second I take their last VP, I just get the bits I'd get if I had chosen to just 'take what we asked for'. What's going on?

Is the rest of it showing as occupied? Because if so that's normal, HoI3 makes annexation into a sort-of occupation in order to simulate governments-in-exile.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Is the rest of it showing as occupied? Because if so that's normal, HoI3 makes annexation into a sort-of occupation in order to simulate governments-in-exile.
Nope. It's as if I selected the 'settle for what we asked for' option - the Finnish keep the majority of their territory and remain independent. I just tried replaying it from my pre-war save and this time, it triggered even before I got all their VPs and without even giving me an option to pick annexation or taking only those provinces. I think it happens when I capture Viipuri, the VP point near the border, regardless of the status of the rest of the VPs.

e: I worked around it. I conquered everything but Viipuri, waited until I could add a wargoal and then manually added conquer. It worked. It did mean that I got the 'what to do with Finland' pop-up three more times, resulting in a international relations hit every time. Go game.

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 29, 2014

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
So that's the second time I've got my arse kicked as the USSR vs Germany :argh:. I've got to the point in Darkest Hour where I understand IC, keeping units in HQ vicinity, not getting leader malus' etc, but at some point a German stack will attack my army with half the troops mine has and obliterate it. This is even with only 1939 troops and mixed in T-28s. There's clearly something basic I'm missing regarding the combat system though I feel I've got the basics down from using CAS, Interceptors and lots of infantry with tanks for breakthroughs (this never happens).

Any tips for a comrade in need? :ussr:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

maev posted:

So that's the second time I've got my arse kicked as the USSR vs Germany :argh:. I've got to the point in Darkest Hour where I understand IC, keeping units in HQ vicinity, not getting leader malus' etc, but at some point a German stack will attack my army with half the troops mine has and obliterate it. This is even with only 1939 troops and mixed in T-28s. There's clearly something basic I'm missing regarding the combat system though I feel I've got the basics down from using CAS, Interceptors and lots of infantry with tanks for breakthroughs (this never happens).

Are you doing a proper defense in depth with units in the line of provinces behind your front lines? The idea is that when they punch through your frontline province and take it all the bordering provinces can launch an attack on the new salient and wreck their units org. Continue with local counter attacks while slowly pulling back strategically and dumping more INF out to plug holes and eventually encirclement opportunities will come to you.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

maev posted:

Make absolutely sure your land doctrines are up to date. Germany has a big Ground Defense Efficiency advantage early on and you have to close that ASAP. I don't remember if this is possible in Darkest Hour Full, but if you can drop Manpower Doctrine and switch to Manuever, do it. Keep your troops' organization high- supply them for an assault even if they aren't going anywhere, they'll regain faster. Pay attention to the terrain- don't move the front across a river until you're sure you can hold fast on the other side.

*Basically decides how many of your guys get killed per battle.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

You can drop and switch doctrines but I wouldn't recommend it. The manpower doctrine eventually catches up in org to blitzkrieg and the morale boost allowing you to constantly counter attack is a good counter to Germany.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You can drop and switch doctrines but I wouldn't recommend it. The manpower doctrine eventually catches up in org to blitzkrieg and the morale boost allowing you to constantly counter attack is a good counter to Germany.

Yeah I should mention that I'm still used to Kaiserreich, where Maneuver Doctrine eats everything for lunch and by the time the others have caught up Germany's already won.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Are you doing a proper defense in depth with units in the line of provinces behind your front lines? The idea is that when they punch through your frontline province and take it all the bordering provinces can launch an attack on the new salient and wreck their units org. Continue with local counter attacks while slowly pulling back strategically and dumping more INF out to plug holes and eventually encirclement opportunities will come to you.

I was doing this, but I wasn't sure reserve mode was actually contributing at all so I just doom stacked it since my lines were falling apart without the manpower. My main problem is being able to pursue an organized retreat to buy time without having Romanians and one division motorized units slipping into the ukraine and taking everything as the front gets wider.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Reserve is worthless just order them to attack the province once it gets taken. 9 times out of ten the first units to cap the province will be a couple of motorized or armor whose org you can just ruin before the infantry arrive to balance things out.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.
I had some fun when Angry Joe did an interview last week, and I like the result... Its about Runemaster. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BPrRtXBlNU8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBPrRtXBlNU8

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

pdxjohan posted:

I had some fun when Angry Joe did an interview last week, and I like the result... Its about Runemaster. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BPrRtXBlNU8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBPrRtXBlNU8

Heheh look at you, you're so adorably shy and giggly :3:

Ok, for some serious feedback: I know that it's really, really early in the run-up to Runemaster's release, but the sooner you start showing what sort of things make it stand out from other RPGs the better. It may be completely new territory for Paradox, but there's no shortage of top-down fantasy RPGs with six races, three classes and two endings out there where you wander around killing bandits and spiders. People need to be told why they should play Runemaster instead of Pillars of Eternity or Path of Exile or Skyrim.

Personally, I'm really interested in the rumoured procedural story generation, because CK2 shows you guys can do some amazing and completely unique things in that design area. But I would imagine / hope there are other selling points, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Does anyone know of a way to mod Darkest Hour's interface so the flag shown when you select a country (Between the HoS and HoG) is displayed horizontally, rather than vertically? This is bothering me to an unreasonable extent.

• Locked thread