Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Roasted Donut posted:

That would also be trading up to take a right tackle, so nnnnnope

Last year, I was sure the Steelers would take Jarvis Jones or Cordarelle Patterson. This year, it will either be Mike Evans or Louis Nix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The Steelers don't trade in the first round, they just let dumber teams in front of them make bad picks.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grozz Nuy posted:

The Steelers don't trade in the first round, they just let dumber teams in front of them make bad picks.

For some reason I remember them taking Limas Sweed in the first round but no they were not that stupid, they just took him in the second.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The last major trade they made was moving up to get Santonio Holmes which considering the guy won them a Super Bowl was a pretty good trade.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Why didn't the Steelers resign him during his final year with them? He had a career season that year as well.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

John Brown posted:

Why didn't the Steelers resign him during his final year with them? He had a career season that year as well.

:weed:, basically.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

bhsman posted:

That's underselling it a bit. He kept posting on social media about smoking weed and then he had an incident in a nightclub and then that stupid poo poo with an airline hassling him over headphones. The Steelers basically traded him for pennies on the dollar to set an example to Roethlisberger.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bhsman posted:

Ok um what is this exactly

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

John Brown posted:

A lot of people say because of his weed habits and such and that may have played into it, but Holmes was a streaky receiver who was looking for a huge contract so they just dumped him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swickles posted:

A lot of people say because of his weed habits and such and that may have played into it, but Holmes was a streaky receiver who was looking for a huge contract so they just dumped him.

Yeah the thing with Holmes is and was at the time he showed up big but only at times, he would have a 170 yard day one week and then show no effort the next. Couple that with what I assume was a lovely attitude in the locker room, search for big money, drug use and other scalliwag behaviour and they probably thought, why bother negotiating with this rear end in a top hat for a hundred million over 5 years or whatever he'll demand and move on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

Yeah the thing with Holmes

I've been so confused since after that Limas Sweed post I thought we were talking about him all along, I was wondering if I remembered everything about his career wrong. Sounds like he's flushed out of the CFL at this point too.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grozz Nuy posted:

2003 NFL Draft:

15. San Diego Chargers - TRADE with Philadelphia
16. Pittsburgh Steelers - Troy Polamalu, Safety, USC
30. San Diego Chargers - Sammy Davis, Safety, Texas A&M
31. Oakland Raiders - Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, California

:suicide:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Ok um what is this exactly

I just typed colon-weed-colon, thinking it would be a cannabis leaf. The smiley, IIRC, came from some discussion about having a ball of weed the size of the sun pushed into the sun.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The weed leaf smiley is 420 in colons, not just the word weed. :eng101:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Just a 2nd rounder for the Falcons to move from 2nd to 6th for Clowney, eh?

gotta think it'll cost more than that.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Probably not. A 2nd to move 4 spots seems reasonable, especially since St. Louis doesn't need him and I doubt there are other teams in the Top 10 willing to trade up for him because they have so many needs. I think it would be silly for the Falcons to do that, but it wouldn't be a huge overpay like the Julio Jones trade.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

FizFashizzle posted:

A second would be a top 40 pick. I bet it will be a 2nd, a 6th, and a pick next year. GMs loving love next year picks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I had a dream that the Texans drafted Clowney therefor I believe it will happen

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

You guys are getting Johnny and it's gonna be awesome.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

RisqueBarber posted:

You guys are getting Johnny and it's gonna be awesome.

Yes, he's going to fail a drug test or something and the Texans are going to take him in the 2nd :pray:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Archie Manning's recommendation gets him knocked down to the Titans, and I'll dance around in excitement when it happens (though it'll end horribly).

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

My Barber is from Johnny's home town and he was telling me that the Manziel family is basically the mob.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RisqueBarber posted:

My Barber is from Johnny's home town and he was telling me that the Manziel family is basically the mob.

Wouldn't doubt it.

I'm really excited to see what Manziel can do at the next level. I know everything is telling me that he'll bust horribly and be murdered like Pat White. I don't want it to happen because he's so loving fun to watch but if I was a GM I wouldn't risk a pick on him. I'd probably get fired when he turns into Fran Tarkenton. Hindsight is going to be a bitch when dealing with Manziel.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

RisqueBarber posted:

He is right http://deadspin.com/the-long-con-how-the-manziels-conquered-america-1040593220

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

His football career is just a money laundering scheme for the family's cockfighting and cocaine operations.

:ms:

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

In regards to how Johnny's great grandfather built his fortune from the oil business.

quote:

Starting out with the deacons, he ran the negroes down in his flivver until all 40 would permit him to drill in the church's backyard.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Doltos posted:

Wouldn't doubt it.

I'm really excited to see what Manziel can do at the next level. I know everything is telling me that he'll bust horribly and be murdered like Pat White. I don't want it to happen because he's so loving fun to watch but if I was a GM I wouldn't risk a pick on him. I'd probably get fired when he turns into Fran Tarkenton. Hindsight is going to be a bitch when dealing with Manziel.

It's a good thing the Browns are apparently all-in on him because everyone in that organization is basically a lame duck anyway.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Anyone not an Aggie should want Manziel to go to the Texans because then he'll make people mad by never showing up to home games but being seen at Longhorn games every once in a while.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Are there any other Arab American QBs besides Jeff George and Johnny Manziel? I'm half-jokingly waiting for scouts to start stereotyping Arab QBs.

Edit: Doug Flutie and while not a QB, the venerable Rich Kotite are also Arab American.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Grozz Nuy posted:

It's a good thing the Browns are apparently all-in on him because everyone in that organization is basically a lame duck anyway.

The only way I think this will end is with Haslam giving the Browns to Manziel.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Here's a Rotoworld article on with a bunch of stats on the second-tier WRs.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grozz Nuy posted:

Here's a Rotoworld article on with a bunch of stats on the second-tier WRs.

Again this is a super deep draft and no one should be knocked in that article. Matthews looked bad at the senior bowl and he has the highest drop rate but all five of those guys are immensely talented at what they do. Screen passes are hardly a knock either since it takes a lot of athleticism to make something out of a bubble screen. Those only look easy because NFL WRs are huge and fast.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Last years draft was deep at wide receiver as well

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AAA DOLFAN posted:

It was incredibly deep but for some reason the real top prospects dropped hard behind guys like Tavon Austin. This year doesn't feature an absolute stud like AJ or Megatron to set the bar, but Watkins is no slouch. The combine should shake up a lot of guys but I can see last year's number of WRs drafted eclipsed by this year's.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Why are good safeties so hard to find? I assumed that the resurgence of the pass-catching TE from a few years ago would subsequently lead to a huge trend of dual FSs/CBs.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Doltos posted:

It was incredibly deep but for some reason the real top prospects dropped hard behind guys like Tavon Austin. This year doesn't feature an absolute stud like AJ or Megatron to set the bar, but Watkins is no slouch. The combine should shake up a lot of guys but I can see last year's number of WRs drafted eclipsed by this year's.

Wasn't Keenan Allen a first round prospect before the knee injury?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yes he was a fringe which looks ridiculous right now.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Wasn't Keenan Allen a first round prospect before the knee injury?

Yep. Da'Rick Rogers was a first rounder until his character concerns. I can't remember why Patton and Stills dropped too since those guys were solid fringe first rounders.

John Brown posted:

Why are good safeties so hard to find? I assumed that the resurgence of the pass-catching TE from a few years ago would subsequently lead to a huge trend of dual FSs/CBs.

Safeties are seen as the least skilled position on defense. They're usually tasked with deep zone coverage in college and most college safeties are heat seekers like Pryor or Mays. Most athletes who are super athletic play on offense, and if they don't, they get slotted into CB. You'll find that many safeties start out as stiff hipped taller CBs and then they have to refine their game over the years. Also typically strong side LBs are given the job to cover the TEs with help over the top from the strong safety.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 29, 2014

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

AAA DOLFAN posted:

And the Chiefs took: 0

That better change this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Aniki posted:

Are there any other Arab American QBs besides Jeff George and Johnny Manziel? I'm half-jokingly waiting for scouts to start stereotyping Arab QBs.

Edit: Doug Flutie and while not a QB, the venerable Rich Kotite are also Arab American.

Did not know that about any of those guys. Do any of them identify as Arab-American? Flutie's great-grandfather immigrated from Lebanon, Wikipedia tells me, but is that a close enough tie for him to see himself as Arab-American?

• Locked thread