Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I always assumed they meant an elevator that lets you store cars one on top of the other, like you see here in Bangkok installed in these townhome shophouses. Or, in the case of really decadent Dubai/Moscow/NYC level poo poo, one of those deals where people in townhomes wait while their car is fetched from a parking storage cell by a valet using an elevator.

I've never heard of anything having to do with accessibility referred to as a "car elevator" but then I'm not disabled, so I could easily be out of the loop.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

I still don't think that the focus on Florida strategy was terrible. Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Nevada. None of those are good states for him. The key downfall of the strategy was that talking heads thought it was dumb and said as much so that when it came time for Floridians to vote most had lost faith in his ability to win. If he had won the state he would have had more convention delegates than would have been gotten from winning the other four states combined.

It was also that he was, IIRC, relying on Charlie Crist to give him the gold seal of approval, but Crist was embroiled in scandal long before it ever got to that point.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

skaboomizzy posted:

The big issue with Giuliani was that the more time he spent in any state, the lower his poll numbers got there. He was a terrible candidate, nothing could have saved him. Biden's "noun, verb, 9/11" quip helped to bury him.
Yeah, the "focus on Florida" strategy wasn't a plan born of choice, it basically doubled as spin when he got murdered in the states they knew he was going to get murdered in. It wasn't a race where you were going to get away with "abortion is bad but also okay" unless you had everyone running interference for you and even if it were he had lived with gay guys and had three marriages and dressed up as a woman for a joke one time etc. And yeah "'handled' 9/11 ~seven years ago" sounds great when other people say it about you but wears thin almost instantly when you say it about yourself. If there was a big national uptick in crime or some large terrorist attacks or something then maybe he could have got somewhere. BUT ALAS.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

ReindeerF posted:

I always assumed they meant an elevator that lets you store cars one on top of the other, like you see here in Bangkok installed in these townhome shophouses. Or, in the case of really decadent Dubai/Moscow/NYC level poo poo, one of those deals where people in townhomes wait while their car is fetched from a parking storage cell by a valet using an elevator.

I've never heard of anything having to do with accessibility referred to as a "car elevator" but then I'm not disabled, so I could easily be out of the loop.
Yeah it wasn't an accessibility thing it was a drop the garage floor to stash cars in the basement and bring it back up to make room for more thing. Because that exists and as far as I know the other thing doesn't :)

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I don't think I've ever wanted to eat the rich more

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

pangstrom posted:

Yeah it wasn't an accessibility thing it was a drop the garage floor to stash cars in the basement and bring it back up to make room for more thing. Because that exists and as far as I know the other thing doesn't :)

The beachfront lot his mansion is on actually isn't all that big and he has a large family.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The beachfront lot his mansion is on actually isn't all that big and he has a large family.
if I were in his position I would do the same thing. I am sure a lot of what I am doing now is ostentatious to your average person in say Haiti. The gist is "rich people have big beachfront houses" and doesn't offend me. (Now the horse stuff is maybe too far even for me)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

pangstrom posted:

if I were in his position I would do the same thing. I am sure a lot of what I am doing now is ostentatious to your average person in say Haiti. The gist is "rich people have big beachfront houses" and doesn't offend me. (Now the horse stuff is maybe too far even for me)

When you're desperately trying to portray yourself as "understanding the common man's plight" as Mitt was, its just another resonating reminder that no, he has no clue how regular people live. It's more of an assault on his image control than an actual "this is a terrible thing" attack. People know he was rich; having a special elevator for the number of cars he owned is a nice tangible reminder people can grasp.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

OAquinas posted:

When you're desperately trying to portray yourself as "understanding the common man's plight" as Mitt was, its just another resonating reminder that no, he has no clue how regular people live. It's more of an assault on his image control than an actual "this is a terrible thing" attack. People know he was rich; having a special elevator for the number of cars he owned is a nice tangible reminder people can grasp.
Yeah I know, it's certainly within bounds to talk about it and certainly more germane than say DIJON MUSTARD, but political race stuff aside once I see someone is worth $250 million (probably more but whatever) the rest is usually variations on a theme. Basically, if you flip out about a car elevator you're going to be flipping out about a lot.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Alter Ego posted:

Mitt had his chance, and the only way the party establishment forgives him for losing to the black guy is if there is literally no one else and the ham sandwich has already suspended its campaign.

Ham sandwich for veep. C'mon, Hillary, make it happen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OAquinas posted:

When you're desperately trying to portray yourself as "understanding the common man's plight" as Mitt was, its just another resonating reminder that no, he has no clue how regular people live.
There's a very telling part in the MITT documentary where Ann Romney is talking about how the left "doesn't get it". Basically saying that they're out of touch and enacting policies that may have a good intent, but are untenable.

(Yes. Ann Romney is criticizing folks for being out of touch.)

Mitt responds how there's little consideration for the small business out there, and how he thinks most leftist policies are meant to squeeze the big players, but end up soaking little guys.

He then says (and this is wild) something like remember the early days? of Bain Capital? When we purchased (X Company) I couldn't sleep. We didn't know if it was going to go out of business.

Yes Willard. Tell us more about the early days of the multimillion dollar vulture capital firm you started with a loan from pop? And of the ability for you to go into business and not worry about being a homeless pauper were it to fail.

It's like that Versailles woman who limited her thousand-dollar spending sprees to Walmart instead of Neiman Marcus.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Everyone should read Twilight of the Elites again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pangstrom posted:

Lots of people have horses, its not uncommon where land is inexpensive and grass grows. Somehow writing off dressage competitions as an MS treatment is the amazing part.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

FilthyImp posted:

There's a very telling part in the MITT documentary where Ann Romney is talking about how the left "doesn't get it". Basically saying that they're out of touch and enacting policies that may have a good intent, but are untenable.

(Yes. Ann Romney is criticizing folks for being out of touch.)

Mitt responds how there's little consideration for the small business out there, and how he thinks most leftist policies are meant to squeeze the big players, but end up soaking little guys.

He then says (and this is wild) something like remember the early days? of Bain Capital? When we purchased (X Company) I couldn't sleep. We didn't know if it was going to go out of business.

Yes Willard. Tell us more about the early days of the multimillion dollar vulture capital firm you started with a loan from pop? And of the ability for you to go into business and not worry about being a homeless pauper were it to fail.

It's like that Versailles woman who limited her thousand-dollar spending sprees to Walmart instead of Neiman Marcus.

He wasn't worried that Bain would make it, he was worried that the investment would fail, which he points out, it did. He was just worried about the account. I'm sure Mitt made his money either way.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FilthyImp posted:

Oddly enough, Mitt is probably correct on this point, but his reasoning is no doubt flawed (it's not due to liberalism so much as corporatism and corporate lobbying making sure that the big guys get carve-outs and exceptions from the law)

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Washington Post/ABC polling:

December 2006:

Hillary 39
Obama 17
Edwards 12

January 2014:

Hillary 73
Biden 12
Warren 8

Clinton has the largest ever recorded advantage for a frontrunner, 3 times the advantage she enjoyed in the first 2008 cycle polling (where Obama and Edwards' numbers combined were already enough to defeat her).

enbot
Jun 7, 2013

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Oddly enough, Mitt is probably correct on this point, but his reasoning is no doubt flawed (it's not due to liberalism so much as corporatism and corporate lobbying making sure that the big guys get carve-outs and exceptions from the law)

Also, most regulations naturally hurt small business more, even without carving exemptions it's fairly obvious that it's much easier for larger corporations to comply than a piddling company. The lawyers are already in place, they have the money, it hurts the little guy more on a relative scale, etc. Of course they still try to get exceptions wherever they can regardless because why not from their perspective.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DynamicSloth posted:

Washington Post/ABC polling:

December 2006:

Hillary 39
Obama 17
Edwards 12

January 2014:

Hillary 73
Biden 12
Warren 8

Clinton has the largest ever recorded advantage for a frontrunner, 3 times the advantage she enjoyed in the first 2008 cycle polling (where Obama and Edwards' numbers combined were already enough to defeat her).

Because the Iraq war never happened.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Maybe we'll really luck out and she'll choose Cory Booker as her VP, eh, eh

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Maybe we'll really luck out and she'll choose Cory Booker as her VP, eh, eh

We can only hope. Maybe Hil and Cory can undo all the good work John Kerry has done in his less than a year at State (more than she did in 4.)

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 30, 2014

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

mcmagic posted:

We can only hope. Maybe Hil and Cory can undo all the good work John Kerry has done in his less than a year at State (more than she did in 4.)

I would never have pegged you for a John Kerry fan.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

I would never have pegged you for a John Kerry fan.

"Fan" is a bit much. I think he's done a pretty good job at State so far though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

mcmagic posted:

"Fan" is a bit much. I think he's done a pretty good job at State so far though.

So was the whole Kerry -> State + Markey -> Senate basically worthwhile, then? All those elections might have actually served a good purpose?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

mcmagic posted:

The universe of viable democratic candidates who were on record opposing the war in March 2003 was vanishingly small back in 2008 when it mattered as a live issue. Anyone hoping to revisit it is going to need video of themselves at an anti-war rally.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DynamicSloth posted:

The universe of viable democratic candidates who were on record opposing the war in March 2003 was vanishingly small back in 2008 when it mattered as a live issue. Anyone hoping to revisit it is going to need video of themselves at an anti-war rally.

IDK to me an actual on the record vote in the senate carries more weight than what you're describing.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DynamicSloth posted:

December 2006:

Hillary 39
Obama 17
Edwards 12
(where Obama and Edwards' numbers combined were already enough to defeat her).

Might want to check your math there.

A much more important difference, I believe, is that I think Hillary has a much harder base of support this time around, as a result of the 2007/8 primaries. The poor field she is facing helps too but its her own improvement that will make the biggest difference, in my opinion.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

Might want to check your math there.

A much more important difference, I believe, is that I think Hillary has a much harder base of support this time around, as a result of the 2007/8 primaries. The poor field she is facing helps too but its her own improvement that will make the biggest difference, in my opinion.

I would love for someone to explain her appeal to me. Especially to people who consider themselves liberals.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcmagic posted:

I would love for someone to explain her appeal to me. Especially to people who consider themselves liberals.

She has experience, is no nonsense, and does not appear to be to the right of Obama in any significant sense.

She's also not a white male, may attract some votes scared off by Obama (eg, West Virginia) and it seems likely that she could win two terms fairly easily as the Republicans are a giant shitshow at the moment.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
And if she does win those terms she has a good chance of shifting the balance more to the left on the Supreme Court. That is a worthwhile goal.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

mcmagic posted:

Everyone should read Twilight of the Elites again.

Is it actually a good read? I kind of dismissed it out of hand because it seemed a bit pretentious to me.

enbot
Jun 7, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Uhh liberals loving loved Bill, not a huge mystery why they'd want another Clinton.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FuriousxGeorge posted:

And if she does win those terms she has a good chance of shifting the balance more to the left on the Supreme Court. That is a worthwhile goal.

And probably the single most worthwhile goal, from the perspective of the extreme left. I mean, when I look at the Democratic bench, I don't see any communists, so I'm gonna have to compromise heavily anyway. From that vantage point, Hillary is no more and no less odious than any other neoliberal American politician (all of them).

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FuriousxGeorge posted:

This is reason #1 for me. I know she's a "liberal" like Bill and Obama have been so I'm not jumping for joy at voting for another one of those, but really the best thing for the long term health of the country is the ideological makeup of the Supreme Court and getting that to shift from center right to center left/left will be huge. I mean really, look at all the amazing work the Warren and Burger Courts did and all the bitching and moaning the right still does over the decisions it handed down.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

FuriousxGeorge posted:

That's pretty much why I'll vote for whoever has a D after their name in 2016. I'll vote for a Democratic ham sandwich as long as it gets to nominate SCOTUS justices.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

enbot posted:

Uhh liberals loving loved Bill, not a huge mystery why they'd want another Clinton.

Another mystery since he didn't run or govern as a liberal. His entire record is basically "I was president during the tech boom."

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 30, 2014

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

mcmagic posted:

Another mystery since he didn't run or govern as a liberal. His entire record is basically "I was president during the tech boom."

The answer to your question is Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rygar201 posted:

The answer to your question is Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Good counterpoint to my argument however it's not like a President who was actually liberal, unlike Bill Clinton, would've appointed someone to her right...

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

mcmagic posted:

Good counterpoint to my argument however it's not like a President who was actually liberal, unlike Bill Clinton, would've appointed someone to her right...

Or been elected.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mcmagic posted:

A lot of Clinton's centrist positioning during the election was purely to get him into the White House, though, something he was extremely used to as a more liberal politician from the South. Bush I was not quite unpopular enough not to have a huge incumbency advantage, especially with a hefty crowd of Democratic candidates to trash each other on the way to winning the primary. I think his economic advisers moved him even a bit more to the right once his Presidency started and that some of his more progressive ideas were destined to be shot down by the Congress he was working with. I mean, I realize you can say this about any Democratic President, but coming out of the 80s, it would have been hard to make an attempt at being Upton Sinclair.

I'm kind of at a loss as to how an actually liberal President would be able to move things at all, given the absolute tantrum levels of blockades the more conservative end of Congress is willing to put up with little provocation. Ironically, a more centrist candidate who is an experienced politician may be able to accomplish more for the left.

That said, even Hillary Clinton's experience may not help her get past the vitriol the right have for her. I just can't think of another likely to run candidate who's better right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

A lot of Clinton's centrist positioning during the election was purely to get him into the White House, though, something he was extremely used to as a more liberal politician from the South. Bush I was not quite unpopular enough not to have a huge incumbency advantage, especially with a hefty crowd of Democratic candidates to trash each other on the way to winning the primary. I think his economic advisers moved him even a bit more to the right once his Presidency started and that some of his more progressive ideas were destined to be shot down by the Congress he was working with.

He passed the biggest rollback of the great society to date with republican votes and ended Glass/Stiegal. No one forced him to do those things.

• Locked thread