Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The 3ds numbers have to be really worrying for nintendo since it pretty much confirms that they aren't exempt from the handheld market crunch that phones are dishing out. The console seems to be losing steam yty even when a bunch of key titles were released last year. Thats despite aggressive bundling and price cuts. Its attach ratios are also way worse than the DS.

Maybe, I think the 3DS is plateauing on the hardware numbers as they reach a general saturation point, but its software sales seem consistently strong with plenty of games reaching the 1 million + mark. Since Nintendo makes more money on hardware that may not be the news they want to hear but I think Smash Bros. will probably spur a massive amount of 3DSs sold this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Quest For Glory II posted:

I dunno that they'd be guaranteed to be good but purely from a "we've got to get content out" perspective it makes a lot of sense. You can claim to have third party support even though really you are just entering into unique one-time partnerships where they're getting money up front. And you can also put out more software every year.

Right now Nintendo (including their subsidiaries) is good for maybe 6-8 titles a year and that includes complete non-factors like Sing Party. You could double that number if you let third party studios make something cool out of the properties Nintendo can't work on because they have to devote themselves to The Major Releases.

Just saying "hey, open callout to any studio that would like the keys to the company car" would bring some people to the door, I think. And there are dormant IPs that can be revived the same way the gaming industry brings back Shadow of the Beast. Star Tropics and Earthbound come to mind. Golden Sun. Custom Robo. Punch-out. Wave Race.

Eternal Darkness, people. Nintendo owns Eternal Darkness and they don't have to give it to fuckin Dyack. They could let someone cool take it for a spin.

Miyamoto said that they were disappointed when they gave the F-Zero and Star Fox franchises to third parties, that people got excited about the games at first but the finished products didn't deliver. I am sure that is in the back of their mind when deciding who gets to make a game based on a Nintendo IP.

I mean, please don't tell me you'd be happy with another Metroid Other M just for the same of getting a Metroid game on the system. It's not going to translate to sales either.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Louisgod posted:

Maybe, I think the 3DS is plateauing on the hardware numbers as they reach a general saturation point, but its software sales seem consistently strong with plenty of games reaching the 1 million + mark. Since Nintendo makes more money on hardware that may not be the news they want to hear but I think Smash Bros. will probably spur a massive amount of 3DSs sold this year.
Yeah, I'm surprised to see the 3DS beginning to plateau this early in its life even with mobile gaming picking up, though it is still doing fairly well. More than that though I think it's a bad sign for the future, and a good reason for drastic action by Nintendo, because the mobile market certainly isn't getting smaller.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Miyamoto said that they were disappointed when they gave the F-Zero and Star Fox franchises to third parties, that people got excited about the games at first but the finished products didn't deliver. I am sure that is in the back of their mind when deciding who gets to make a game based on a Nintendo IP.

I'm struggling to remember the ads they ran to promote those games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I mean, please don't tell me you'd be happy with another Metroid Other M just for the same of getting a Metroid game on the system. It's not going to translate to sales either.
I would be okay with another third party Metroid title if Sakamoto didn't order the studio around like he did with Other M.

And that's the thing. Nintendo has to go against character and actually give those third party studios the freedom they need, and to not micromanage the situation. They can't really help themselves though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

If those promotional smartphone apps are actually the centerpiece of Iwata's presentation tonight, rather than just a small part of it... good loving lord, this company deserves whatever happens from here.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Astro7x posted:

WTF? The F-Zero game they let SEGA develop (the one for the NGC) was Wipeout-levels of loving incredible. Maybe even better than Wipeout tbh.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

If those promotional smartphone apps are actually the centerpiece of Iwata's presentation tonight, rather than just a small part of it... good loving lord, this company deserves whatever happens from here.

I don't know if that would be better or worse than every business analyst's pet solution of "sell NES games on platforms that have no buttons".

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

They should probably go and have a look at Square-Enix and the million a day they've been making on the new Dragon Quest game on iOS in Japan.

They could probably make a Super Smash Bros card game with micro-transactions and rake it in.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

NOA sees the writing on the walls.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The sculptor's figure says "Lately, his club has been losing membership because he hasn't done anything 'cool' with it, but as long as Link hangs around, everything will be all right!"

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

WTF? The F-Zero game they let SEGA develop (the one for the NGC) was Wipeout-levels of loving incredible. Maybe even better than Wipeout tbh.

I'm talking about the Game Boy Advance ones specifically

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Louisgod posted:

NOA sees the writing on the walls.

Ho-ly poo poo. That's awesome.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Best news in the past week has been the announcement of more high-end plastic toys for babies like figurarts and stuff.

Then you have Pikmin for your mobile devices.

Not in your mobile device, on your mobile device. They're gonna carry it away and sell it for some quick pokos when you aren't looking.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Not in your mobile device, on your mobile device. They're gonna carry it away and sell it for some quick pokos when you aren't looking.

They turn stuff into juice these days, so as long as you don't put an iPhone or a Blackberry on there you should be fine.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Bruceski posted:

They turn stuff into juice these days, so as long as you don't put an iPhone or a Blackberry on there you should be fine.

Besides, it's worthless technology. Pikmin only carry real treasure, like bottlecaps and trading cards.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

There's a joke to be made here about the Wii, the Kinect, and the failures of the Xbox One...

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Wait, did Miyamoto seriously say Nintendo wasn't pleased with F-Zero GX? I have real trouble believing this.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 29, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atoramos posted:

Wait, did Miyamoto seriously say Nintendo wasn't pleased with F-Zero GX? I have real trouble believing this.

With the sales. That's a key thing there. Not the game. The sales. Neither game sold well. They sold significantly worse than their predecessors. F-Zero games sold less with each successive game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 29, 2014

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

Atoramos posted:

There's a joke to be made here about the Wii, the Kinect, and the failures of the Xbox One...

That quote was in the the gamecube original version too. At the time it was failing bad against the ps2 and Xbox, basically nintendo's darkest moment before the ds and wii came out. I remember thinking it was a lame defense when I first read it as well.

Now things come full circle with the Wii u rerelease.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Aurain posted:

They should probably go and have a look at Square-Enix and the million a day they've been making on the new Dragon Quest game on iOS in Japan.

Wow I had no idea there was a new DQ on iOS. Gonna log in my JP iTunes account and grab it right now. Thanks for mentioning it.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

With the sales. That's a key thing there. Not the game. The sales. Neither game sold well. They sold significantly worse than their predecessors. F-Zero games sold less with each successive game.

I mentioned this before, but still don't quite understand how it fits together

Nintendo Selects, formerly Player's Choice, is a marketing label used by Nintendo to promote video games on current Nintendo game consoles which have sold well. But I guess it didn't sell well?

I mean, if even those can be considered financial failures, what about all the games that didn't make the cut? Even more miserable?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Ok, that's a lot more believable. It would have been shocking to hear they felt GX was handled improperly as it was one of the best games for the console, and really one of the more original entries into the genre.

Saintv77 posted:

That quote was in the the gamecube original version too. At the time it was failing bad against the ps2 and Xbox, basically nintendo's darkest moment before the ds and wii came out. I remember thinking it was a lame defense when I first read it as well.

Now things come full circle with the Wii u rerelease.

I realize, it really is an incredible quote with 11 years foresight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's a marketing thing. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have all used their Player's Choice equivalents to market games when they wanted to do a budget re-release. In theory they're only supposed to be for "sells well" but "sells well" is fairly limited. IIRC by Gamecube Player's Choice only had to sell 250,000 copies in 9 months to be considered. That isn't a lot.

Take a look at the list of Gamecube Player's Choice games. It is loving huge. That is because the 'requirements' to meet Player's Choice were incredibly broad. It was a marketing excuse to re-release games at budget prices and not a lot else. 20% of the Gamecube's library made it onto that list.

I mean Mega Man X Collection and Mega Man Anniversary collection both made the list and neither sold more than a million copies on PS2, X-Box and Gamecube combined.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 29, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Atoramos posted:

I realize, it really is an incredible quote with 11 years foresight.
It really fits in nicely with Nintendo not willing to own their failures. "Oh the gamecube is great if only it weren't for those other consoles and their cheap gimmicks - guess we better join them". Then the Wii is 2006's furby and the lesson they take away is "yep - gimmicks sell" and they proceed to iterate on that forever.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 29, 2014

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jeffrey posted:

the Wii is 2006's furby

I agree, and asked myself what I'd consider 2014's furby.

Then I remembered the XBone.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm at a loss for what the gimmicks on the PS2 and Xbox were supposed to be. I guess maybe 'online existing' on the Xbox.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Peel posted:

I'm at a loss for what the gimmicks on the PS2 and Xbox were supposed to be. I guess maybe 'online existing' on the Xbox.

I read it as they were losing sales because of the perception of Nintendo only ever offering "gimmicky attractions."

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

What exactly was the gimmicky attraction of the Gamecube?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Relative to the install base, I don't think GX did perform all that worse compared to its predecessors. It sold about 2/3 of what X did to about 2/3 the userbase. X sold about 1/2 of what the original did to about 3/5 the userbase.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Pixeltendo posted:

Four Swords and Crystal Chronicles were what I remember being the megaton announcements. Double Dash allowed lan play which owned.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Pixeltendo posted:

Well for starters:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bushisms.txt posted:

I read it as they were losing sales because of the perception of Nintendo only ever offering "gimmicky attractions."

They looked at the huge numbers of third party titles coming to the PS2 as gimmicky attractions. Mostly because they weren't coming to the Gamecube.

There's also DVD playback, something that Nintendo didn't think would be a thing. Historically Nintendo has considered features provided by the competition as unimportant. HD resolutions were unimportant, until suddenly it became clear just how important they actually are. Internet-based services were unimportant, until it became clear that they are.

The next Nintendo console might even provide BluRay playback functionality, at this rate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Papercut posted:

Relative to the install base, I don't think GX did perform all that worse compared to its predecessors. It sold about 2/3 of what X did to about 2/3 the userbase. X sold about 1/2 of what the original did to about 3/5 the userbase.

It was also a significantly higher budget game being outsourced to a third party. "Well, see, it technically sold as badly as the previous game if you look at it relatively" doesn't mean it is a success.

I mean don't get me wrong. I love me some niche games. I like F-Zero. It just wasn't a big-name franchise. Neither is Fire Emblem which is probably my favorite Nintendo franchise and they were inches away from killing that off. (And they might have still since the only FE game we had announced was FExSMT and that's in limbo.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 29, 2014

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Atoramos posted:

I agree, and asked myself what I'd consider 2014's furby.

Then I remembered the XBone.

People actually wanted a Furby though. :v:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

It was also a significantly higher budget game being outsourced to a third party. "Well, see, it technically sold as badly as the previous game if you look at it relatively" doesn't mean it is a success.

I mean don't get me wrong. I love me some niche games. I like F-Zero. It just wasn't a big-name franchise. Neither is Fire Emblem which is probably my favorite Nintendo franchise and they were inches away from killing that off. (And they might have still since the only FE game we had announced was FExSMT and that's in limbo.)

I agree with you that it's a niche franchise (and Nintendo's handling of niche franchises can be argued about all day). I just think the oft-repeated "Every F-Zero sold worse than the last" should be couched in the acknowledgement that every Nintendo console has sold worse than the last (yeah yeah Wii, sure).

Also the game that should be really looked at as the franchise-killer there is F-Zero: GP Legend.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

bushisms.txt posted:

Sorry I meant Kamiya, he puts shooters in everything, loving giving him StarWolf.

Aonuma deserves another shot, since he did Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. Zelda is more thoughtful than an action game, and Platinum isn't subtle enough for it.

Platinum is made up of members of Clover, who made a Zelda-clone that's better then nearly every other Zelda game. I think the series would be in good hands with them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dexie posted:

Platinum is made up of members of Clover, who made a Zelda-clone that's better then nearly every other Zelda game. I think the series would be in good hands with them.

I love Okami but the only difference between Fi and Issun is that I like Issun. I think his text speed is even slower.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dexie posted:

I think Okami (art style aside) is completely forgettable. Can we stop stating opinions as facts?

I mean I'd love to see Platinum tackle just about every Nintendo IP and see what comes out, but I think they'd do more with action series like Metroid and Starfox than something that's traditionally pretty slow paced like Zelda.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Bobnumerotres posted:

I think Okami (art style aside) is completely forgettable. Can we stop stating opinions as facts?
His post was sort of useful because it contains a suggestion for nintendo, your post is not.

Okami and Zelda are both forgettable anyway.

• Locked thread