Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Pig latin is often used to hide the meaning of something from younger kids in the room, or just ones that don't understand the 'language.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

This kind of reminds me of rhyming slang. Is this used in an actual attempt to obscure meaning to those outside the know, or is it just silly kid stuff like pig latin is?

Pretty much every adult knows about pig Latin, so it's kinda kid stuff. Most often outside of that it gets used in jokes for someone poorly trying to hide information. Ixnay seems to be the exception, it's pretty common and well understood to say "Ixnay on the X" means stop doing/talking about something. X is also commonly put into pig Latin in these cases.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Pretty sure stubblyhead was asking about verlan, since that's what he quoted. Also, I was wondering the same thing.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Melicious posted:

Pretty sure stubblyhead was asking about verlan, since that's what he quoted. Also, I was wondering the same thing.

Durp, you are correct. I need more sleep.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

syscall girl posted:

Then there is this clever guy debunking the rest of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btpZ1UnGBaI

:nms: for frog death.

Oh come on do you seriously think he is throwing a live frog in boiling water? There are laws against that kind of stuff. As much as Fox News sucks I doubt they were willing to deal with animal cruelty charges over Glen Beck's dumb rear end.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 29, 2014

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Yeah! Thanks a lot. Everyone should check this out if they haven't, it's very interesting.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
There was a YouTube video a couple of years ago, it was a girl talking about the stereotypes of young people not enjoying reading, but when played backwards was some kind of inspirational message. Like this. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A while ago, Google Hangouts replaced the chat system in Gmail for some users, but not all. I suspect google was particularly targeting android users, since they also natively have the Hangouts app on their phone.

Does anyone know when/if they will fully roll it out to everyone's gmail? Is there any way to find this out?

There are reasons to like and not to like the replacement, but damnit I wish they would just pick one already - it's been like 6 months. It's annoying to have it fragmented, as sometimes I groupchat someone and they don't get it til a week later, when they notice they have a google+ notification saying "you've been invited to a hangout!" but never saw it cause who goes to google+. And even then they have to go to plus.google.com to participate :doh:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I remember a while ago it used to be the case that I would often hear mobile phone generated interference, from stereos, TVs, anything with speaker pretty much but now I don't hear it anymore, what changed?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What are some easily purchasable, really minty mints? I'm a bit of a mint addict and love Starbuck's after coffee mints 'coz they're quite strong, but all the Starbucks in my area have stopped carrying them and I can't buy them from this site because I'm not a Starbucks foodservice partner.

Not interested in sweet mints like Altoids or whatever. Any ideas?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I want to set a up a cheap webcam/laptop system in my garage.

Ultimately, I want to view whats on the webcam from any computer. I don't really care for recording functions and motion sensing would be cool but optional. How would I go to do something like this?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Crankit posted:

I remember a while ago it used to be the case that I would often hear mobile phone generated interference, from stereos, TVs, anything with speaker pretty much but now I don't hear it anymore, what changed?

You're losing your powers, mate

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Crankit posted:

Because your phone is using CDMA now instead of TDMA (yes even GSM devices are CDMA now.)
http://www.geek.com/mobile/what-causes-gsm-buzz-1538169/

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

alnilam posted:

A while ago, Google Hangouts replaced the chat system in Gmail for some users, but not all. I suspect google was particularly targeting android users, since they also natively have the Hangouts app on their phone.

Does anyone know when/if they will fully roll it out to everyone's gmail? Is there any way to find this out?

There are reasons to like and not to like the replacement, but damnit I wish they would just pick one already - it's been like 6 months. It's annoying to have it fragmented, as sometimes I groupchat someone and they don't get it til a week later, when they notice they have a google+ notification saying "you've been invited to a hangout!" but never saw it cause who goes to google+. And even then they have to go to plus.google.com to participate :doh:

I'm not sure if there's a way to do it in bulk (assuming you're some kind of administrator of a Google Apps account?), but you can still manually switch back and forth by selecting the menu at the top of the chat list and choosing "Try the New Hangouts" or "Revert to old chat".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kedo posted:

What are some easily purchasable, really minty mints? I'm a bit of a mint addict and love Starbuck's after coffee mints 'coz they're quite strong, but all the Starbucks in my area have stopped carrying them and I can't buy them from this site because I'm not a Starbucks foodservice partner.

Not interested in sweet mints like Altoids or whatever. Any ideas?

I used to like Certs mints. I'm not sure if they're around anymore or not since I don't look for them any longer.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

stubblyhead posted:

This kind of reminds me of rhyming slang. Is this used in an actual attempt to obscure meaning to those outside the know, or is it just silly kid stuff like pig latin is?

It's sort of between the two I guess ? It's used by adults too so it's not just kid stuff and it sort of obscures the meaning for people who aren't used to it. It's mostly used by young-ish (10-30yo) people from impoverished backgrounds. It's more like ebonics in a way.

KoB
May 1, 2009
LogMeIn has decided that I have to pay for service now but I use it so infrequently that its just not worth it to me. Is there another site that has simple/easy remote desktop stuff?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

KoB posted:

LogMeIn has decided that I have to pay for service now but I use it so infrequently that its just not worth it to me. Is there another site that has simple/easy remote desktop stuff?
Teamviewer is supposedly good.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
For years I've been shredding everything with my name on it: shipping labels, catalog backs, etcetera. In light of possible identity theft, is this a good habit or is overkill? I have friends who just shred bills and sensitive data and don't worry about throwing their name & general info into the trash every day.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

I switched to TeamViewer as a result of the LogMeIn Free shutdown and I like it a lot better than LogMeIn Free, especially with the recent changes they had made to it.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

terre packet posted:

For years I've been shredding everything with my name on it: shipping labels, catalog backs, etcetera. In light of possible identity theft, is this a good habit or is overkill? I have friends who just shred bills and sensitive data and don't worry about throwing their name & general info into the trash every day.

You don't need to go into someone's garbage to figure out their name and address.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

terre packet posted:

Is your name in the phone book? If so, it's probably excessive.

Personally, I just shred credit card, banking, and medical stuff.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

terre packet posted:

Your name and address is information that's readily accessible to the general public in about five billion ways, so this is probably overkill. You should shred stuff with information on it that someone couldn't get their hands on without significant effort (eg. account numbers, social security number, pins, etc).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

yoohoo posted:

Anybody know why a song file I have on my computer will show up in iTunes but the only info shown is the song title and the words "not available" under the time? It is unplayable and it's an m4a file, which should be playable in iTunes.

I used to run into this. I think you can open the files in winamp, check the properties (F3?) and see if the tag is ID3 or ID2, that can fix part of it. Another option might be to open in Audacity and save as a new mp3/m4a

terre packet posted:

There's no kill quite like overkill. If it makes you feel more secure, go for it. Look at it this way, if by some chance your identity got stolen, would you rather feel like you did everything in your power to prevent it, or blame yourself for taking a lax attitude?

On the flip side, there isn't anything on the items you listed (name and address info) that couldn't be otherwise found in the phone book.

EDIT: Beaten

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I mean, you've already got the shredder, so you might as well use it. Simple name/address won't help anyone steal your identity though

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

How do you get rid of the "Multiple Issues" warning box at the top of a Wikipedia page? As soon as they appeared (two years ago), I edited the page to address each issue, but the warnings are still there, and with the same date from two years ago. I mean I assume I could just go in and delete that actual piece of code, but I'm guessing that's not the proper way to go about it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

DNova posted:

I switched to TeamViewer as a result of the LogMeIn Free shutdown and I like it a lot better than LogMeIn Free, especially with the recent changes they had made to it.

Thanks, I'll try it out. It doesnt need to be robust since I just use it for dumb poo poo like installing videogames while Im at work :v:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to have an honest, calm, rational discussion about software piracy (whether it's moral / immoral, stealing/not stealing, do it/don't do it) What would the rules be for that?

e: And where would a good place to be to have this discussion? DnD? Ask/Tell?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Turtlicious posted:

I want to have an honest, calm, rational discussion about software piracy (whether it's moral / immoral, stealing/not stealing, do it/don't do it) What would the rules be for that?

e: And where would a good place to be to have this discussion? DnD? Ask/Tell?

Not D&D.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

KoB posted:

Thanks, I'll try it out. It doesnt need to be robust since I just use it for dumb poo poo like installing videogames while Im at work :v:

I started using it yesterday. So far, no problems. It seems like the response time on my home computer is faster than it was on LogMeIn.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Smeep posted:

How do you get rid of the "Multiple Issues" warning box at the top of a Wikipedia page? As soon as they appeared (two years ago), I edited the page to address each issue, but the warnings are still there, and with the same date from two years ago. I mean I assume I could just go in and delete that actual piece of code, but I'm guessing that's not the proper way to go about it.

Actually yeah, you just delete the box once you fix whatever was wrong.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

kedo posted:

Your name and address is information that's readily accessible to the general public in about five billion ways, so this is probably overkill. You should shred stuff with information on it that someone couldn't get their hands on without significant effort (eg. account numbers, social security number, pins, etc).

Do people have shredders in their houses? Is this a thing people actually do? :stare:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Do people have shredders in their houses? Is this a thing people actually do? :stare:
A better question is "Do people dig through trash to find personal information that allows them to take out credit in another person's name?" The answer to that one is yes. I certainly have one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I shred a ton of mail. Better safe than sorry.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tiggum posted:

A decent shredder costs <$20 and lasts forever.

Do people in Australia not get tons of credit card solicitations? Because I get a couple every week, and I shred the gently caress out of them. Also old bank statements, etc.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

credit card solicitations
Do you have a smartphone? If so, get PaperKarma.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Do people in Australia not get tons of credit card solicitations?

Nope.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

KoB posted:

TightVNC is pretty decent, too

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Actually yeah, you just delete the box once you fix whatever was wrong.

Oh, wow, I had no idea that was allowed. I figured I'd incur the wrath of some editor/admin. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Butane soldering irons? Are these pretty close to instantly ready to go/work good? I've only ever used 120vac. Keyless entry remote quit today and I saw batt clip had become detached from pcb, also saw both my 2 cheap wellers are missing somehow. I tried heating an old pocketknife in flame of gas range forever but just couldn't get that poo poo soldered down doing that ghetto poo poo.

Cheap recomedations?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 30, 2014