Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Genocyber posted:

gatz posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I think I found a good candidate for a wrongpurae:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PzRqttLJ88

The animation and graphics are just so... weird. And then there's that sci-fi beep that comes up at the inventory screen, despite the fact that the setting is in the 1920's or some poo poo. Not sure if you could stomach the entire thing (I don't know if it gets interesting).

E: apparently it only goes on for 7 of those videos, so maybe you could.

You should take that to the official Retsupurae thread.

quote:

Ahahahahaha....no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Genocyber posted:

You should take that to the official Retsupurae thread.

No, here is fine.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah, I'd rather talk about that here anyways. Who know what diseases those GBS people have.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

With the Microsoft-paying-YouTubers-for-XBone mentions thing barely a week old it came out that EA paid some guys who do a lot of Battlefield content to not say bad things about Battlefield 4 for a month.

At least, if you listened to Reddit tell the story that was the case. In the appearance of a document on BF4central (don't go there, it is terrible) listed an assignment EA threw out to YouTube people to show off "Levolution" events and include the words "Battlefield 4 Launch" in the title. EA offered $10 CPM (per thousand views) to anyone who met the qualifications. One of the conditions to the whole thing was to not talk about glitches. People read that line and then saw the end date for the event was a full month after the game was released and made the conclusion that EA had essentially paid YouTube people to not talk about some of the more broken aspects of the game for a month.

Anyone with sense would see that EA just put an end date to the videos that would qualify, but Reddit is filled with people who fully believed that EA had paid people they "trust" to not talk about the problems they encountered with the game because Reddit's reading comprehension skills are somewhat lacking.

This led to one of the people on the assignment, LevelCap, explaining that the videos that qualified for the assignment were from an Alpha build of the game that EA had flown guys out to play and so bugs and glitches were to be expected. The explanation also led to one of the funniest things I've ever read:

LevelCap posted:

As a YouTuber, credibility and integrity are of utmost importance.

Like it or not, this sort of thing, where companies pay YouTube people to talk up a game or features, is here to stay. I think it's inevitable that there are more cases like this one and the Microsoft one for a long time.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Like it or not, this sort of thing, where companies pay YouTube people to talk up a game or features, is here to stay. I think it's inevitable that there are more cases like this one and the Microsoft one for a long time.

And really, it was to be expected in a way. Earlier it was paid ads on TV, but now, just paying a bunch of large Youtubers money for actually - more or less at least - watched content is a cheap deal for them.

Oh this is going to suck. I usually stay away from the large youtubers, but really, how much can you do.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Michaellaneous posted:

And really, it was to be expected in a way. Earlier it was paid ads on TV, but now, just paying a bunch of large Youtubers money for actually - more or less at least - watched content is a cheap deal for them.

This part I'm personally okay with as it's no different than celebrity endorsements, and if you're a smart consumer you usually don't listen to paid opinions without a little bit of research. Which leads to the issue I have a problem with, that being the non-disclosure part of Machinima's contract, which admittedly doesn't apply to the EA BF4 contract. TotalBiscuit did a pretty great, if lengthy, video on his side of these contracts. I'd recommend taking a watch if you're interested and have half an hour.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
This is seriously the most intolerable video I have ever seen on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH36PPXHf3c

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

big duck equals goose posted:

stopped watching after the loving anime intro

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

HOW MANY SUBSCR-

Actually, I'm not surprised anymore... :(

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Just skipping through the video you can see his face, no, his whole BODY in various exaggerated poses.

Here's my ticket to superstardom: Pick a stupid gmod map and just gurgle mucus for twenty minutes while flapping my arms

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mortimer posted:

Just skipping through the video you can see his face, no, his whole BODY in various exaggerated poses.

Here's my ticket to superstardom: Pick a stupid gmod map and just gurgle mucus for twenty minutes while flapping my arms

At least he's a method actor?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Mortimer posted:

New and improved Bodycam™. Now viewers can see their favorite LPer's reactions not just through their face but through their body language as well. What will they think of next. :allears:

Real talk: Based on the anime intro, I'm guessing he's just pretending to be an anime himself.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Crosspeice posted:

HOW MANY SUBSCR-

Actually, I'm not surprised anymore... :(

That is depressing how he has such a huge number over someone like Chip. :(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mortimer posted:

When it's time to pander to a more mature audience, feel free to pose Alyx and Gman in sex poses, for that vintage GMod gameplay.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

His typical YouTube-era teenage acting aside, I'm more bemused by his Peter Pan Complex. That he had someone make some shoddy anime artwork of himself and his friends...

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

It isn't that surprising at all. Look at the ratio of views between standalone videos and long LP series. People don't want to half to watch 20 videos to get caught up to speed, nor do they want to see a game's story/humor/gameplay. The majority of people want a clip show of funny moments, or standalone 10-20 minute chunks they can come home, watch, and show to their friends. Look at youtubers like birgirpall (sp?) who does nothing but battlefield stuff and plays for hundreds of hours to get a few videos of weird/funny stuff happening. Or motdef, who dicks with his game setup and plays until something glitches out and he can post snarky videos that say "GAME DESIGN 101". Millions of views more than any SA LPer with almost the same amount of time input, they just know how to get people to watch 2-3 minute videos instead of hundreds of hours of cutscenes. People want to see unexpected glitches/interactions happen (see: happy wheels videos, gmod videos, dayz videos, etc). When people ask why someone like Chip isn't getting more views of his LP's I have to ask why you would think it would in the first place. Clip shows have a much broader appeal.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

ChaosArgate posted:

That is depressing how he has such a huge number over someone like Chip. :(

Chip makes really solid videos and LPs, but that's not where you draw YouTube popularity from. I don't think I've seen a single YouTube LPer go to the lengths he does to showcase the games he plays as it would be more effort than they are willing to put into something.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Lunethex posted:

His typical YouTube-era teenage acting aside, I'm more bemused by his Peter Pan Complex. That he had someone make some shoddy anime artwork of himself and his friends...

I bet you that artwork's all been traced. It sure looks like it to me.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Mortimer posted:

It isn't that surprising at all. Look at the ratio of views between standalone videos and long LP series. People don't want to half to watch 20 videos to get caught up to speed, nor do they want to see a game's story/humor/gameplay. The majority of people want a clip show of funny moments, or standalone 10-20 minute chunks they can come home, watch, and show to their friends. Look at youtubers like birgirpall (sp?) who does nothing but battlefield stuff and plays for hundreds of hours to get a few videos of weird/funny stuff happening. Or motdef, who dicks with his game setup and plays until something glitches out and he can post snarky videos that say "GAME DESIGN 101". Millions of views more than any SA LPer with almost the same amount of time input, they just know how to get people to watch 2-3 minute videos instead of hundreds of hours of cutscenes. People want to see unexpected glitches/interactions happen (see: happy wheels videos, gmod videos, dayz videos, etc). When people ask why someone like Chip isn't getting more views of his LP's I have to ask why you would think it would in the first place. Clip shows have a much broader appeal.

Well to be fair, sometimes they really turn out some fantastic stuff. My younger brother pointed me in the direction of some videos where the guy runs game ROMs through a program that corrupts random data points within it, and then plays through them and posts the hilarious results. I wouldn't call them a "Let's Play" though.

SWMadness fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 30, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SWMadness posted:

Well to be fair, sometimes they really turn out some fantastic stuff. My younger brother pointed me in the direction of some videos where the guy runs game ROMs through a program that corrupts random data points within it, and then plays through them and posts the hilarious results. I wouldn't call them a "Let's Play" though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQiQ1pVlN8

This is my favorite.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
This one is my absolute favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV-D1ggFUj8

Vinny isn't a Let's Player, he streams games on his website and then uploads the best of's to Youtube. He's not the only streamer there, but he is the only one that does corruptions.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
On the subject of "like+subscribe!!!" messages, that reminded me of the most annoying variation of that I've encountered yet. A while back I went looking for LPs of Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena and since the LP Archive didn't have one I decided to give Youtube a try and wound up sampling a few different LPs to see if I could find the least obnoxious one.

Instead what I found was TheHexV. This guy isn't even in the same level of bad LPing as some of the people mentioned in this thread (don't get me wrong, he's still plenty bad though) but he has the best-worst tagline of any LPer I've ever heard, encouraging anyone who likes his videos to "liberally apply your forehead to the subscribe button until you become clinically V-tarded." His videos are utterly forgettable, but that stuck with me.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

curiousTerminal posted:

This one is my absolute favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV-D1ggFUj8

Vinny isn't a Let's Player, he streams games on his website and then uploads the best of's to Youtube. He's not the only streamer there, but he is the only one that does corruptions.

Aside from some running jokes that get old (Satan, is that you?) his stuff is mostly hilarious. I think I cried laughing at his Donkey Kong Country video.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I'm not trying to be sanctimonious but, I don't get what is funny about intentional corrupting games and then acting surprised when it doesn't function properly.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sneaky Fast posted:

I'm not trying to be sanctimonious but, I don't get what is funny about intentional corrupting games and then acting surprised when it doesn't function properly.

It's more acting shocked at the crazy poo poo that happens. Cause when you corrupt you don't have any idea what's going to happen, to the point where it may literally not start. There was a thread here for corruptions, not sure if it's still around, that has some pretty good videos.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Sneaky Fast posted:

Agreed. In addtion, that guy's (vinny or whatever) commentary is some of the worst I've ever heard. Very boring.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Genocyber posted:

It's more acting shocked at the crazy poo poo that happens. Cause when you corrupt you don't have any idea what's going to happen, to the point where it may literally not start. There was a thread here for corruptions, not sure if it's still around, that has some pretty good videos.

And if not, there's always this (unintentional) corruption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CIBrncUxwg

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This is probably my favorite non-goon corruption videos, for just how ridiculously the game corrupts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu04U-Yb2qs

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sneaky Fast posted:

gatz posted:

Agreed. In addtion, that guy's (vinny or whatever) commentary is some of the worst I've ever heard. Very boring.

The point is not Vinny. Vinny is just the one loving with the game. The entertainment is watching characters and games you know suddenly erupt into chaos. Whether you like that or not is just dependent on the way it tickles your brain.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Did 'Beef ever comment on how he did a bunch of things he called out other LPers for in his Room Break videos?

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The point is not Vinny. Vinny is just the one loving with the game. The entertainment is watching characters and games you know suddenly erupt into chaos. Whether you like that or not is just dependent on the way it tickles your brain.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious? No, Vinny is the the rom corruption. Yes, he is the one uploading the videos and laying it with his worthless commentary and attaching his name to the video. Yes, humor is subjective. No, that does not and should not stop discussion about whether something should be liked.

If you want to reply by saying, "You're missing the point, it's the rom corruption that's funny and entertaining", that still falls under what I wrote. Rom corruption seems to me to be a waste of time, something that might be funny for the first time, but doesn't have any meaningful about it.

gatz fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 30, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

gatz posted:

Thanks for pointing out the obvious? No, Vinny is the the rom corruption. Yes, he is the one uploading the videos and laying it with his worthless commentary and attaching his name to the video. Yes, humor is subjective. No, that does not and should not stop discussion about whether something should be liked.

If you want to reply by saying, "You're missing the point, it's the rom corruption that's funny and entertaining", that still falls under what I wrote. Rom corruption seems to me to be a waste of time, something that might be funny for the first time, but doesn't have any meaningful about it.

You have this really weird cognitive dissonance between "entertainment is subjective" and "gently caress you don't like what I don't like".

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 31, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Anatharon posted:

Did 'Beef ever comment on how he did a bunch of things he called out other LPers for in his Room Break videos?

You're totally "allowed" to retsupurae it if you like.

edit: Wait, no, I did! In Retsutalk 49 with Woolie. Either way, the stuff I really like and am proud of, I'd post here. YouTube, I tend to try stuff out.

RoomBreak sucks because it was a really funny stream, but the video itself was really bad. It sucked, but I made a judgment call. I've been meaning to see if I can revisit it and "fix" things by replaying the game locally, but Dark Souls.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 30, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Here's this forum's thread about Corruption. Seems the OP recently ended it.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You have this really weird cognitive dissonance between "entertainment it subjective" and "gently caress you don't like what I don't like".

No he doesn't, he's just a Republican. "All right thinking people have the right to their own opinion, but anyone who disagrees with me is not in their right mind and must be corrected."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Don't bring your politics in here, buddy.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
BrainScratchComms while not perfect is a really enjoyable and endearing LP group.

Sonic Lost World LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9AkdMoSMtM

Kirby 64: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGZ46VhcsHo

Sonic GBA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2iaUbxtqUM

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
http://www.p4rgaming.com/most-lets-players-dont-know-anything-about-the-games-they-play/

So SA, do YOU know your LPs?

Edit: Whoops its a parody article. Still something interesting to think about.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 2, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

"We spoke with retired Let’s Player The Speeding Joker, who used to do informative Let’s Plays, about why he retired in the face of giants like SuperButterflyKiss."

Retired Let's Player.

Do we get to collect pension after sixty-five hundred videos on youtube or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Roar posted:

"We spoke with retired Let’s Player The Speeding Joker, who used to do informative Let’s Plays, about why he retired in the face of giants like SuperButterflyKiss."

Retired Let's Player.

Do we get to collect pension after sixty-five hundred videos on youtube or something

Soon the funding will dry out and the LP government will have to figure out some way to deal with the Gamer Boomer generation.

• Locked thread