Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Renegret posted:

Why the gently caress are electric violins so expensive. I've always wanted one to play around with but holy poo poo I am not paying that much for one.

e: Also I don't think that's too ugly except the bridge looks like it was never shaped and there's no good way to mount a shoulder rest.

e2: What the hell Amazon has a bunch for under $200. For some reason I was under the impression they were like $800 at minimum. I might think about picking one up...

that one was like $110 five or six years ago and i don't know what the hell i'm doing is why the bridge isn't shaped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

i think this is the only time i've (knowingly) even heard and electric violin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjD62r9einQ&t=33s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjD62r9einQ#t=33

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

There's that one Rush song, too.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
have we had this yet

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The VU / John Cale says that electric violas are where it's at.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

How about this?

Blues guitarist from Canada(you know, the REAL home of the blues), Anthony Gomes.

Dude has a tele with same finish too.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Dewgy posted:

that one was like $110 five or six years ago and i don't know what the hell i'm doing is why the bridge isn't shaped

actually that bridge looks fine to me. violins are pretty small and their bridges aren't usually shaped and rounded off as much as cello bridges

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Fair Hallion posted:

have we had this yet

This looks like it was left in a hot car for a long, disgusting summer.

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

Fair Hallion posted:

have we had this yet

This thing reminds me of sharks for some reason.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Is that some sort of triple humbucker or what I don't even

As someone who listens to doofy 8-string metal a lot even I think that thing is ridiculous

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
maybe a bucker with a middle pos single coil like right on top of it? not a lot of breathing room so wouldnt surprise me.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Is that some sort of triple humbucker or what I don't even

As someone who listens to doofy 8-string metal a lot even I think that thing is ridiculous

Triple buckers do actually exist though. Some brand maybe hamer? Used them in the 80's.
I used to own a Kramer with quad-buckers, they were really just two single coil blade humbuckers side by side. They were pretty poo poo.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Fair Hallion posted:

have we had this yet

That's a literal axe. Like it was found in the mines of Moria.

Remulak posted:

Motherfucker, either forgot that or didn't know it.

Same argghhfff

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Thumposaurus posted:

Triple buckers do actually exist though. Some brand maybe hamer? Used them in the 80's.
I used to own a Kramer with quad-buckers, they were really just two single coil blade humbuckers side by side. They were pretty poo poo.

alvarez made a guitar with them

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

what the hell is that cutaway that cuts into the body right near where the fingerboard terminates?

e: and alvarez makes weird electric guitars? i thought they just made acoustics. i own one of their mahogany top models

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Fair Hallion posted:

have we had this yet

That is disgusting, ugh

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

comes along bort posted:

alvarez made a guitar with them

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Astrobastard posted:

That is disgusting, ugh

I love every single one of these, oh my god :psyduck: something is wrong with me

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

drat got any more of this one?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ferroque posted:

what the hell is that cutaway that cuts into the body right near where the fingerboard terminates?

e: and alvarez makes weird electric guitars? i thought they just made acoustics. i own one of their mahogany top models

alvarez's parent company slm which also owned ampeg, mackie, and crate bought another guitar company called westone and slapped the alvarez name on them in the 80s

takamine also used to make electric guitars

basses too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl9zP1kj5Dw

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

It's conceptual Dubai architecture: the guitar.

e: now I kind of want to see BRUTALISM: the guitar. It would be an elongated concrete brick with strings.

Troglyfe fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 29, 2014

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Astrobastard posted:

That is disgusting, ugh

I unironically like this. Or I did, until I looked up the price. It's a Music Man Armada, by the way, and can be yours for $3000. w/e

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

White Dog Eggs posted:

Electric Violins are seen a joke by almost everyone :shrug:, it's a pity really.

I actually made one when I was starting out and no one would even look at it, gave it away to a school after a few years and the music teacher told me that no one touches it unless there aren't enough 'proper' instruments (his words) to go around. Blah.

That's really sad :(

The reason I'm suddenly interested in one is because I really want to start playing violin again but it's too drat loud even with a practice mute and an electric instrument sounds like the perfect solution to that.

Dewgy posted:

If you have the old bridge, just trace the shape with a pencil and sand it down to the proper size. Otherwise hahahaha good luck, I guess you'll have to find a professional because it's absolutely loving miserable to do yourself and get right

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Renegret posted:

If you have the old bridge, just trace the shape with a pencil and sand it down to the proper size. Otherwise hahahaha good luck, I guess you'll have to find a professional because it's absolutely loving miserable to do yourself and get right

no clue where it is; though i taught myself to do a guitar setup fairly well and bridges are cheap so i might just screw around with that

i've been playing violin for all of 48 hours so honestly it works fine enough for me so far, i probably should have leveled the feet out a bit more though

also astrobastard them's some ugly shits but i'm really curious as to how all of the not electric ones sound; weird shapes do cool things to acoustic tone sometimes

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

That's really sad :(

I've never heard an electric violin played through anything other than minimally EQ'd house PA systems and low-end guitar combos/powered speakers and they just sound awful. I have no idea what amplification you need but maybe that's most of the problem

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Manky posted:

I've never heard an electric violin played through anything other than minimally EQ'd house PA systems and low-end guitar combos/powered speakers and they just sound awful. I have no idea what amplification you need but maybe that's most of the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJlb7z8CCGI

short version is i can't wait to put this thing through my effects pedal

Dec 26, 2012

Dewgy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJlb7z8CCGI

short version is i can't wait to put this thing through my effects pedal

this is way more passable than i was expecting

at least before he starts dropping effects in there but w/e

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Manky posted:

yeah if you are amplifying a violin or something like that you usually need to run it through a preamp or something like that before you DI into a PA. i use one of those little fishman guys to do a little preliminary eqing and to invert phase if i need to, otherwise all your overtones will just sound horrible

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dewgy posted:

no clue where it is; though i taught myself to do a guitar setup fairly well and bridges are cheap so i might just screw around with that

i've been playing violin for all of 48 hours so honestly it works fine enough for me so far, i probably should have leveled the feet out a bit more though

also astrobastard them's some ugly shits but i'm really curious as to how all of the not electric ones sound; weird shapes do cool things to acoustic tone sometimes

Unfortunately a violin setup is nothing like a guitar setup, and unlike a guitar it's not really playable with a half-assed bridge. If you don't sand the bridge down correctly you won't be able to play on individual strings, and you're not supposed to have an even curve either. The E string is usually lower with a steeper curve than the G.

They make violin bridges the same way as guitar nuts (too big with the expectation to be cut to size), not shaping it before installing it has similar consequences. You can find a pre-shaped bridge that will work but I think it's a lot more expensive.

I made one once and it was absolutely miserable.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

01011001 posted:

this is way more passable than i was expecting

at least before he starts dropping effects in there but w/e

it's silly and i can use headphones with it, what's not to love

Renegret posted:

Unfortunately a violin setup is nothing like a guitar setup, and unlike a guitar it's not really playable with a half-assed bridge. If you don't sand the bridge down correctly you won't be able to play on individual strings, and you're not supposed to have an even curve either. The E string is usually lower with a steeper curve than the G.

it's been pretty playable with my half assed setup right now, though the bridge i got isn't on an even curve, the G is slightly higher than the E

it's probably gonna make my other non-electric violin sound like poo poo but even that isn't too bad

frankly i think with a half assed setup i can call this thing a fiddle and get away with it

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dewgy posted:

frankly i think with a half assed setup i can call this thing a fiddle and get away with it

Make sure you over-rosin your bow and never clean the fingerboard once.

Or better yet, just grind some rosin on and start caking it on the fingerboard so it looks heavily used.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
my non-electric came with a black haired bow with like 1/4 of the strands left and it's all grimy and poo poo

i call it mr. grumpy and it sounds amazing, so yeah i got that covered

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

I need these in my life.

Electric Violin Chatte:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRfYgABSltM

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010
Speaking of ugly electric violins, I made this during my last year of high school.

Useless cutaway? check. Extra string? check. Gotta get that C string for warm viola sounds :3

Pretty much a testbed for my handwound violin pickups. Sounds... alright, but it is almost unplayably heavy.

If I ever get around to making another one there's a whole bunch of functional things I would do.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Fair Hallion posted:

have we had this yet

Whats all that poo poo hanging of the bridge, all that metal stuff

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jedrick posted:

I need these in my life.

good luck. they only made a couple hundred of each

not gonna lie i've been sorta looking for a ge-400kt (the bottom one) off and on for a few years

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

hitchensgoespop posted:

Whats all that poo poo hanging of the bridge, all that metal stuff

The tuners since its headless it has fine tuners only.
Blame Ned Steinberger for that.
I hope it has some way to use normal strings I can't imagine it would be easy to find double ball ended string sets that large.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

skudmunky posted:

Speaking of ugly electric violins, I made this during my last year of high school.

Useless cutaway? check. Extra string? check. Gotta get that C string for warm viola sounds :3

Pretty much a testbed for my handwound violin pickups. Sounds... alright, but it is almost unplayably heavy.

If I ever get around to making another one there's a whole bunch of functional things I would do.

oh my god that extra string is really, really bothering me. It hurts to look at.

Otherwise I like it but gently caress that extra string. I'm imagining playing it and ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

skudmunky posted:

There is an old violin ("not fiddle, violin") player who drinks at one of the pubs I got to, I like to wind him up by taking about putting guitar tuners on his violin, for some reason it works him into this charmingly inept old-man rage "Guitar tuners on a violin??? I'd sooner let you put tits on my dog, at least I'd get some use out of them you stupid bugger". He still goes up on open mic nights too.

Irritating man with an irritating haircut makes a stupid iOS guitar thing which is apparently good for learning guitar on even though it's not a guitar, or something. To be honest, I didn't finish the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV4F4yR2nEs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

White Dog Eggs posted:

There is an old violin ("not fiddle, violin") player who drinks at one of the pubs I got to, I like to wind him up by taking about putting guitar tuners on his violin, for some reason it works him into this charmingly inept old-man rage "Guitar tuners on a violin??? I'd sooner let you put tits on my dog, at least I'd get some use out of them you stupid bugger". He still goes up on open mic nights too.

Tell him that the internet thinks he's wrong, because there's nothing quite as terrifying as tuning an E string using the pegs while you're holding it up in the proper position and guitar tuners would solve that problem.

e: I love listening to guitarists complain about tightening their E strings. Hey listen, at least it's not inches away from your face, plus with wodden pegs you usually need to overtighten it because most pegs are going to slip a bit after you let go. And if you use peg drops it's just as bad, instead of the peg slipping, you really have to muscle it to get the peg to move and you're worried when you finally do get it to move you're going to overshoot your target and snap the string. Plus the shorter length means it'll snap sooner. That string has a lot of tension.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 30, 2014

• Locked thread