Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Where is it available? Unless it's :filez: in which case I'm not arsed.

World of Glasgow is the pinnacle of Limmy's career so far, and it isn't files because its his own Soundcloud account.

https://soundcloud.com/limmy/sets/world-of-glasgow/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

keep punching joe posted:

World of Glasgow is the pinnacle of Limmy's career so far, and it isn't files because its his own Soundcloud account.

https://soundcloud.com/limmy/sets/world-of-glasgow/

Is there anywhere you can get that as standard .mp3 so I can get it on my iPod? Seeing as he pretty openly has it all over YouTube and SoundCloud I can't imagine there being an issue with regards files. You'd think he'd have this sort of poo poo on the iTunes store.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ThomasPaine posted:

Is there anywhere you can get that as standard .mp3 so I can get it on my iPod? Seeing as he pretty openly has it all over YouTube and SoundCloud I can't imagine there being an issue with regards files. You'd think he'd have this sort of poo poo on the iTunes store.

It was freely released at the time so I'm sure it'll pop up on torrent sites. I don't think he has the intention of selling any of his web content.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ThomasPaine posted:

someone from another forum uploaded all the mp3s to mediafire in three sets, which are here

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1yoef3ggolruo3l/Limmy%27s+World+of+Glasgow+%5Bpodcast%5D1of3.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/66zoxr9bo95oiba/Limmy%27s+World+of+Glasgow+%5Bpodcast%5D2of3.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h11nutekm1qo9s0/Limmy%27s+World+of+Glasgow+%5Bpodcast%5D3of3.rar

hopefully that's not files, like others said they were always free so it should be ok

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

Seriously, if your whole deal is magic, stop crash-cutting EVERYTHING, because it just makes it look like you're editing tricks in.

Plus surely magicians are supposed to be entertaining and charismatic? I know Dynamo is talented but christ, have a bit of showmanship.

As well as all the crash cuts, who ever is filming it has no idea how to film the "magic" stuff as they invariably give away the "trick", most often with Dynamo using a stooge.
The one where he changes the name on the dollar bill, the camera angle clearly shows him switching it for another bill and the close up shot shows the piece of paper stuck on it that he pulls off to reveal the other name.

The one where he "changes" at tattoo, again the close up shot clearly shows the make up on the stooge (in this one notice that 2 other people say they have tattoos they don't like which he ignores before he walks over to the stooge). Same with the moving the tan line one.

The camera people often focus too much on looking at the crowd to catch their reactions and often catch the helper in the background swapping stuff about, slipping things in peoples pockets etc whilst they are distracted by Dynamo.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

PriorMarcus posted:

Why are the BBC dedicating Saturday night TV time to Dynamo? He's the shittiest of the street magicians around these days. He's so loving uncharismatic and his show is edited in a way that actively makes the performance seem like one big camera trick.

I saw the first episode (I think). He did a trick for some models on a red carpet at the FHM awards. It involved him bending backwards on one foot like he's a spaceman on the moon. But they forgot to crop out the side of the big red box they were all standing on which any idiot could realise housed the mechanics. It's just so ill-thought out.

A lot of the tricks look too fake. I know it seems silly to call what happens unrealistic, but the scenarios always seem off. David Blaine will approach a homeless guy and take his paper cup of hot coffee and make quarters tumble out of it. The homeless guy is an actor, but at least it seems real. Dynamo will approach a stooge walking down the street drinking from a classic glass coca cola bottle, which no one does. It's a trick bottle (or a real bottle to be swapped with his secreted trick bottle). Do it in a pub where people are drinking Corona. Or you'll see the crowd that has gathered to watch him walk along the Thames and not one of them is filming it on their mobile phones? At least fake it right.

When Dynamo talks all I hear is Keanu Reeves in Saxondale trying to sell people dvds.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This is all sounds so hilariously shoddy that it's making me want to check him out.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Padje posted:

When Dynamo talks all I hear is Keanu Reeves in Saxondale trying to sell people dvds.

THAT's who his voice reminds me of! I couldn't put my finger on it and it was bugging the gently caress out of me.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Dynamo once did this thing where he appeared a hundred yards away in like a second and I wondered how he did it, I mean he was in front of loads of people one second and the next he was over the street or something. And one he did on a farm where he suddenly magicked himself through a metal gate behind the cover of a picnic rug. Idk how he did those ones. TV trickery, is my guess. I notice for the close-up/hand stuff he always wears a gigantic jacket (xl is gigantic on him he is tiny fyi) which is probably a clue when he makes things 'disappear'.

'where could it be?!' he asks while making wavy magic arms. 'in your coat' you could probably reply.

David Blaine, in his newest thing that was on channel 4 recently, just stabs himself in the arm or hand with a metal spike , in front of famous celebrities like Will and Jayden Smith and Ricky Gervais. It's very realistic. Tedious, though. Very tedious.

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

That levitating bus one is funny because 'statue' performers in Convent Garden do exactly the same trick but with a walking stick prop or something. If I'd seen that live it would've caught my eye for 10 seconds before I returned to staring at my phone cos it was the fifth time I'd seen it that month.

Also his name is loving 'Dynamo' which I imagine he gave himself age 13.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Can't watch any magicians like that without thinking of Dean from the League of Gentlemen series 3

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Maybe Dynamo is so dull because all he does is collect energy rather than transmit it.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Oh my goodness, Mary Berry bossing about an enraptured Michel Roux Jr. on a cooking show. :3:

("Cut those leeks, Michel". "Stir that pot, young man." "No, I don't care that you've got two Michelin stars, we're making fish pie with leftover breadcrumbs and you will enjoy it.")

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

WastedJoker posted:

Maybe Dynamo is so dull because all he does is collect energy rather than transmit it.

This is actually a very accurate description weather intended or not. I like this phrase.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Anyone watch Britain's Great War? Really enjoyed it. Wouldn't be surprised if it was originally supposed to be Andrew Marr presenting it, it looks a lot like one of his series. Paxo is good, though.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
It looks like every major BBC documentary made in the past ten years?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Nothing wrong with that.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I quite like the Waldemar Januszczak series on Rococo, which came as a surprise because the last time I tried a programme he presented I found him unwatchably tittish. This week's episode had a bit where he explained the sexual undertones of putting your head in someone's lap while somebody else spanks your bottom, confirming any suspicions one might have that BBC4's intended audience is a particularly sheltered eunuch. He took pains to go through how Fragonard's The Swing might be sexy too.
Also what on earth is BBC1's Hidden Kingdoms thing? It looks like they gave footage of zoo animals to whoever did the CGI for the Narnia films and told them to make a narrative from it. What? Why? If I wanted to hear Stephen Fry anthropomorphizing animals and then fictionalizing them still further into drama I'd throw a cat at him.
Also I'm really looking forward to 1/2 of League of Gentlemen making a whole series of that Psychoville episode where they parody Rope. Going to own.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

I quite like the Waldemar Januszczak series on Rococo, which came as a surprise because the last time I tried a programme he presented I found him unwatchably tittish. This week's episode had a bit where he explained the sexual undertones of putting your head in someone's lap while somebody else spanks your bottom, confirming any suspicions one might have that BBC4's intended audience is a particularly sheltered eunuch. He took pains to go through how Fragonard's The Swing might be sexy too.

As a programme, it's a bit schizophrenic. One minute, it's all bums and tits, oooh errr missus, look what those naughty Frenchies got up to, and the next there's a genuinely interesting and thoughtful discussion of Gainsboroughs' paintings of his daughters.

I rather like old Waldemar though. Preferred his series on the art of the Dark Ages though. Had a bit more meat to it, especially in the way it looked into the rather startlingly effeminate depictions of Christ in early Christian art and the influences of Islam and Norse culture on European art. While Rococo is delightful to look at (those gilded palaces, those pieces of pink porcelain!) it's not really telling me anything particularly new about the period.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mr Beens posted:

The camera people often focus too much on looking at the crowd to catch their reactions and often catch the helper in the background swapping stuff about, slipping things in peoples pockets etc whilst they are distracted by Dynamo.

That's what to look for. And to ignore the 2nd or 3rd stooges who are there to freak the gently caress out like they saw a man cut a kids head off and start stump loving the corpse when the trick is revealed.

David Blaine was caught out once when the 'quiet' stooge was texting the card to whoever and some public person saw the text and shouted how it was being done in his face. I wish I remember where I saw this, cant see it on YT.

Penn & Teller, Jerry Sadowitz, gently caress even Tommy Cooper made it fun to watch tricks.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 29, 2014

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also what on earth is BBC1's Hidden Kingdoms thing? It looks like they gave footage of zoo animals to whoever did the CGI for the Narnia films and told them to make a narrative from it. What? Why? If I wanted to hear Stephen Fry anthropomorphizing animals and then fictionalizing them still further into drama I'd throw a cat at him.

In fairness I believe I read somewhere that the narrative format was part of the brief for the programme, rather than it being a nature documentary gone horribly awry. They are pretty good about it in the end "how we filmed it" segments where they talk about weaving the narrative out of footage honestly and openly.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

stickyfngrdboy posted:

David Blaine, in his newest thing that was on channel 4 recently, just stabs himself in the arm or hand with a metal spike , in front of famous celebrities like Will and Jayden Smith and Ricky Gervais. It's very realistic. Tedious, though. Very tedious.

He also went on a mystical journey to learn how to spew water from his mouth like a hose pipe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szhOqqTCx7g&t=261s

AMAZING.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Captain Mediocre posted:

In fairness I believe I read somewhere that the narrative format was part of the brief for the programme, rather than it being a nature documentary gone horribly awry. They are pretty good about it in the end "how we filmed it" segments where they talk about weaving the narrative out of footage honestly and openly.

That makes sense then. I think the main thing I have against it is that the eponymous forest looks like a pixie will fly into view, or the vole will draw a sword or something.
I imagine its origins were someone reading the Mail pretending to be upset about that polar bear cub thing and thinking "but... that's good though?"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Episode 2 of Musketeers wasn't bad. I'm liking Porthos and Athos the more I see them onscreen, and Capaldi makes an interesting Richleau.

I just wish Mass Mikkelsen had held out a little longer and been in this version. I feel so sorry for him in the last film because on the one hand you've got him giving a great turn as the evil badass and really throwing himself at the sword fights, and then on the other hand there's James Corden trying on Martin Freeman's mannerisms and Orlando Bloom chewing on the loving scenery.

It's like half the cast was trying to make a serious film and the other half were on horse tranquilizers.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Dynamo once did this thing where he appeared a hundred yards away in like a second and I wondered how he did it, I mean he was in front of loads of people one second and the next he was over the street or something. And one he did on a farm where he suddenly magicked himself through a metal gate behind the cover of a picnic rug. Idk how he did those ones. TV trickery, is my guess. I notice for the close-up/hand stuff he always wears a gigantic jacket (xl is gigantic on him he is tiny fyi) which is probably a clue when he makes things 'disappear'.

'where could it be?!' he asks while making wavy magic arms. 'in your coat' you could probably reply.

When he appears hundreds of yards away, it's actually a dude in the same clothes as him, Dynamo has literally just hidden somewhere nearby. Notice you never see a close up of the "teleported" guy.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Stanhope was pretty good too. Like I stated before This Morning seems to getting crazier each time Brooker shows it.

I just watched it.

My mind is blown.

I am related to one of the piss drinkers.

FelchTragedy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 29, 2014

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Captain Mediocre posted:

So, it's basically the same as what C4 did for Benefits Street.

Except without the honesty and openness, ofc.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
So is House of Fools the worst show on TV at the moment. I like Vic and Bob but this is just the wrong kind of "zany"

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I can't help but feel the entire thing is Vic and Bob making some vague statement about the growing trend of drab intellectual comedy which was on the way in as they were on their way out. gently caress you we're making a zany slapstick studio sitcom with nob jokes and a live studio audience in the year 2014. Not laughing yet? Here's another nob joke, gently caress you. Go gush over your precious Stewart Lee DVDs mister "I'm too clever for all that" :smug:

Whatever the motivation it's made me laugh a few times so there you go. I guess I'm an imbecile.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Dicky B posted:

I can't help but feel the entire thing is Vic and Bob making some vague statement about the growing trend of drab intellectual comedy which was on the way in as they were on their way out. gently caress you we're making a zany slapstick studio sitcom with nob jokes and a live studio audience in the year 2014. Not laughing yet? Here's another nob joke, gently caress you. Go gush over your precious Stewart Lee DVDs mister "I'm too clever for all that" :smug:

Whatever the motivation it's made me laugh a few times so there you go. I guess I'm an imbecile.

Which bits? Genuinely interested because there wasnt a single part in the last episode

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I haven't seen the latest one yet. Might give it a try tonight.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Please tell me someones watching Ross Kemps Extreme World and saw the epic moment where Ross managed to stop an armed stick up

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Taff posted:

Please tell me someones watching Ross Kemps Extreme World and saw the epic moment where Ross managed to stop an armed stick up

God, that sounds gloriously stupid and I'd be on it like a shot normally.

But I'm sitting with my very poorly 89-year old great aunt, watching Midsomer Murders. She thinks it's gone downhill since Bergerac left, but she likes the little dog the new bloke has better than Bergerac's whiny daughter.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Irisi posted:

God, that sounds gloriously stupid and I'd be on it like a shot normally.

But I'm sitting with my very poorly 89-year old great aunt, watching Midsomer Murders. She thinks it's gone downhill since Bergerac left, but she likes the little dog the new bloke has better than Bergerac's whiny daughter.

I got it and uploaded it to youtube just for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80PBsNEloEw

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I actually watched the new Outnumbered.

Because the kids have obviously aged quite a lot, but the writing hasn't. So now it just seems like a channel 4 documentary about 3 teenagers on various areas of the autism spectrum.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Taff posted:

Fake as gently caress. Staged.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

WastedJoker posted:

Grant him some slack

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

Didn't look staged to me, have to say.

That Vic & Bob thing is terrible btw. I love both but it's embarrassing how bad the new show is.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Taff posted:

There are no words for how much I love you, Taff, you beautiful, beautiful man.

Ross Kemp, whatta guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

WastedJoker posted:

Bit cynical this. Ross is a real tough guy