Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
And, just so you know:

Some CPU teams are stat padding pushovers, and some are full of absolute bullshit.

In my PS4 offline league, where I had the Jags undefeated easily, the CPU Seahawks poo poo all over me. Some teams are basically EA cheat mode.

If you really think Madden is unfair, come play in the NCAA Dynasty; I have to literally give an evening to beat a CPU team with my Minnesota team, the AI cheats so bad. If that game decides it's scoring, it will score, and that happens to me and the elite 99 ovr teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
The thing that really annoys me about the AI is that since it knows exactly what audible you are running, it will decide every once in a while to simply run the exact counter play. It's basically like playing in the Bucs-Raiders Super Bowl with Jon Gruden across the field from you.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Alucard posted:

The thing that really annoys me about the AI is that since it knows exactly what audible you are running, it will decide every once in a while to simply run the exact counter play. It's basically like playing in the Bucs-Raiders Super Bowl with Jon Gruden across the field from you.

I'll do a scrim if you have time. I could use a break from poo poo CPU opponents, and I'll even be helpful for feedback :v:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Alucard posted:

It's basically like playing in the Bucs-Raiders Super Bowl with Jon Gruden across the field from you.

I really like this analogy.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Dubious posted:

I'll do a scrim if you have time. I could use a break from poo poo CPU opponents, and I'll even be helpful for feedback :v:

I'll give it a shot. I can't really get to sleep right now because I'm too worked up over a videogames.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Alucard posted:

I'll give it a shot. I can't really get to sleep right now because I'm too worked up over a videogames.

alright. Give me 10 to finish this game and I'll fire up the PS3.

And done. Send an invite.

Dubious fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 29, 2014

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Sending invites your way. Accept the first one you get, I'll keep kicking pubbies.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
oh I think I'm playing a pubbie.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Alucard posted:

oh I think I'm playing a pubbie.

leave and come back, gently caress that guy

there we go

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Dubious posted:

leave and come back, gently caress that guy

Got a TD against the rams, then took off.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Alucard posted:

Got a TD against the rams, then took off.

:getin:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Hey look, I got hosed!
What was that again about me being any good? This game is full on bullshit.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 29, 2014

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Alucard posted:

Hey look, I got hosed!
What was that again about me being any good? This game is full on bullshit.

You use alot of press. It's easy to beat with Route Running WRs. You actually are on me pretty good; I'm getting lucky on beating your press.

Carolina DBs are bad at press. Look for more zones.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
The tricky part is that those ARE all loving zones. They suck at zones too.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
That last incomplete, you had about a 8 or 10 yard QB run instead; look at your blocks.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
GG I got incredibly lucky on that pick 6 for a 100 yard return.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
You are on the way man, just take your time. You have way more success when you let plays develop compared to forcing something that isn't there.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
My general strategy is that I have 2-3 options depending on the early post-snap read in passing. My trouble is that with Cam, I don't have a tendency to be focusing on any available running lanes.

As far as defenses go, any recommendations? I tried to mix in some curl to flat zones to counteract the easy shot at my guys who aren't lined up in press coverage (almost picked off 2 of them actually). Obviously that can be beaten with slants, so I have hook zones peppered in as well, that is, all when I'm not doing man cover.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 29, 2014

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Alucard posted:

My general strategy is that I have 2-3 options depending on the early post-snap read in passing. My trouble is that with Cam, I don't have a tendency to be focusing on any available running lanes.

Biggest part of adopting a Mobile offense, is you can't trust pre snap reads. You have to adjust after the snap in that split second you get; it comes in time, but just gotta practice it.

Everyone knows I run a Mobile, post snap option/pass offense; it took most of last season's game to get adept, and this season I'm only starting to get comfortable.

You are on a good path, just take the bad Madden shithouses with the rest of the bad.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Santheb posted:

Dude those Patriots are sorta tough. The games learning curve is steep. Once you "get it" it's somewhat rewarding.

Just want to reiterate this. It has taken me my entire life of football experience/enjoyment/knowledge plus YEARS with this dumb series and a ridiculous number of hours logged to feel like I am a solid A- player. Thankfully my franchise is always overrated :smugbird: and has had joe 88ovr RING flacco since madden 09 (Steve McNair was p sweet that 1 year). No trotting out Sexy Rexy or Matt moore no sir. And I still get my rear end whooped from time to time, and I've choked hard multiple times. Now excuse me i need to go checkdown to ray rice

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Alucard posted:

As far as defenses go, any recommendations? I tried to mix in some curl to flat zones to counteract the easy shot at my guys who aren't lined up in press coverage (almost picked off 2 of them actually). Obviously that can be beaten with slants, so I have hook zones peppered in as well, that is, all when I'm not doing man cover.

Panthers = tampa 2/cover 3 rush 4 drop 7 accept short passes base pass defense. Run blitz heavy, collapse pocket with Star, look to fill running lanes early to force passing game. Cover long enough for Kraken/CJ to get the sack. Manual Luke Kuechly and play aggressive at the point of attack.

Try to get in passing situations with 3-4 DEs. Use cover 3 out of nickel dime sub packages to stop the run.

Oberst fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 29, 2014

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Oberst posted:

Just want to reiterate this. It has taken me my entire life of football experience/enjoyment/knowledge plus YEARS with this dumb series and a ridiculous number of hours logged to feel like I am a solid A- player. Thankfully my franchise is always overrated :smugbird: and has had joe 88ovr RING flacco since madden 09 (Steve McNair was p sweet that 1 year). No trotting out Sexy Rexy or Matt moore no sir. And I still get my rear end whooped from time to time, and I've choked hard multiple times. Now excuse me i need to go checkdown to ray rice

P much this. I picked up this dumb game in All Seriousness in Madden 2013, and only started being somewhat competent in Season 3, after playing a shitload of games offline. I'm still bad at defense.

This game takes time, but we all understand that and will help as much as we can along the way. You could be in much worse leagues :reddit:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
However! Tebow gets his Santheb Chiefs 2013 game in, and my Bizarro Career is now a bonus after whatever happens.

FORWARD PASS IS FOR PUSSIES

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Also eventually these leagues become not very indicative of your or anybody else's skill level because of how the rosters progress. When you're playing with and against The Canton Greats (or lord help the trashed 72 overall CPU franchise) it becomes not very fun anymore, no matter how well you play.

Frankly I think playing pubbies is great practice just due to the randomness factor. Gives you an opportunity to see what plays work for you consistently against a wide variety of defenses and play styles, and sometimes it feels really good to just whoop up on guys who do the oft-maligned pubbie things.

da_goob
Feb 21, 2012

Santheb posted:

Gettin out of work in 30 minutes, so maybe like an hour, hour and a half? I gotta get warmed up before doing a user game.

Sorry, I fell asleep pretty early. I'm free tonight after 9 PM EST, I think. I'll confirm

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Broncos should stay on auto. I did get a new power cord! But no time today or tomorrow. School and work are going to crazy through the end of the week.

Peyton back with a vengence starting this weekend, which will hopefully be the same irl

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Alucard posted:

My main problem is that although I am usually level-headed, this game brings out the same type of rage that I used to experience while playing counter-strike. It's a combination of bullshit that is outside of my control plus a skill component that consistently eludes me. I have moments where I pick offensive play exactly right for a huge gain (I had 2 TD passes to wide open players in that game), but I still cannot produce anything on defense and it fucks me in the game every time.

This is the first Madden game I've bought or played in a decade so I've had a lot to learn too. For defense, I generally avoid being a CB unless it's against weak receivers that I can blow up at the line. I'd suggest being a RE or LE, or being a linebacker in man formation that is assigned to the RB or FB, and in general lighter on your motion stick for more precise and controlled movements. I had the same issue with defense in the NHL games forever until I learned to coast and be gentle with the stick movements because you get way more out of it

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Defense is easy. Just use Gameplan and if it's a pass change to the DB making the play and hold triangle.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Santheb posted:

Also eventually these leagues become not very indicative of your or anybody else's skill level because of how the rosters progress. When you're playing with and against The Canton Greats (or lord help the trashed 72 overall CPU franchise) it becomes not very fun anymore, no matter how well you play.

Frankly I think playing pubbies is great practice just due to the randomness factor. Gives you an opportunity to see what plays work for you consistently against a wide variety of defenses and play styles, and sometimes it feels really good to just whoop up on guys who do the oft-maligned pubbie things.

Disagree mildly. I could write a paper on this, but to be brief - hoarding a team of super jacked vets is much harder this year thanks to more regression from bad coaching staffs, crazy retirements, and other tweaks . Redskins secondary seasons 2-5 in madden 13 league just isnt possible.

My problem regardless of if the pubby play is poo poo or not, is thar playing pubbies doesn't have any of the out of game benefits. I don't play just for a single game versus mode, I play for franchise. I want to win AND sell the most jerseys AND screw over season ticket holders AND manage my roster AND talk the most poo poo, etc.

I like to pretend my dumb video game football with made up rules and fake points mean something outside of the context of the football game itself. :spergin:

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
9ers ravage CPU Jags 40 whatever to 7, Gore rushes for over 200 with 3 TD, Henne cries

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Oberst posted:

Redskins secondary seasons 2-5 in madden 13 league just isnt possible.

Just when I thought I forgot about that goddamn secondary

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oberst posted:

My problem regardless of if the pubby play is poo poo or not, is thar playing pubbies doesn't have any of the out of game benefits. I don't play just for a single game versus mode, I play for franchise. I want to win AND sell the most jerseys AND screw over season ticket holders AND manage my roster AND talk the most poo poo, etc.

I like to pretend my dumb video game football with made up rules and fake points mean something outside of the context of the football game itself. :spergin:

I feel exactly the same way. Winning against a pubbie is a fleeting victory, but building the Bucs into a dynasty in this game is a "worthwhile" goal for me, because lord knows I'm not going to see a Bucs dynasty in real life anytime soon and this game, for all of it's faults, scratches my football itch quite nicely.

Plus, we have some solid dudes in this league. I've been having so much fun with the whole Google Hangout thing, just chatting with other goons as we commiserate about how EA has our money.

da_goob
Feb 21, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I feel exactly the same way. Winning against a pubbie is a fleeting victory, but building the Bucs into a dynasty in this game is a "worthwhile" goal for me, because lord knows I'm not going to see a Bucs dynasty in real life anytime soon and this game, for all of it's faults, scratches my football itch quite nicely.

Plus, we have some solid dudes in this league. I've been having so much fun with the whole Google Hangout thing, just chatting with other goons as we commiserate about how EA has our money.

I'm the exact opposite, which is kind of why my bears team went to poo poo last year. I recently realized that I needed to practice all the time or my team will go to complete poo poo. It doesn't help that I didn't really care about the roster situation or anything, nor do I follow my cap all that closely. I only recently started changing players position, which helped a ton.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Oberst posted:

Disagree mildly. I could write a paper on this, but to be brief - hoarding a team of super jacked vets is much harder this year thanks to more regression from bad coaching staffs, crazy retirements, and other tweaks . Redskins secondary seasons 2-5 in madden 13 league just isnt possible.

Huh? It doesn't matter if you're hoarding super jacked vets or not, odds are the franchise team is going to be light years ahead of a vanilla roster team. Even if their overall isn't 95+, the peripheral stats will still be way better than they actually are and help to compensate for a poor play call and generally be in a better position to make a play.

I don't play for any of that crap. I just like to play the game. A close victory over a pubbie, skilled or cheeser, is every bit as satisfying as winning the Super Bowl in a franchise. I just cannot muster up the care for jersey and hot dog sales. I can for running the ball down some poor mooks throat six times in a row and then going over the top to Santana for a touchdown, though.

Just saying playing against the same people over and over and over with ever improving rosters gets stale and predictable. I like to test myself against all ranges of people to see how my scheme works and what I need to do to improve it. I guess we just play for different reasons.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Santheb posted:

Huh? It doesn't matter if you're hoarding super jacked vets or not, odds are the franchise team is going to be light years ahead of a vanilla roster team. Even if their overall isn't 95+, the peripheral stats will still be way better than they actually are and help to compensate for a poor play call and generally be in a better position to make a play.

I don't play for any of that crap. I just like to play the game. A close victory over a pubbie, skilled or cheeser, is every bit as satisfying as winning the Super Bowl in a franchise. I just cannot muster up the care for jersey and hot dog sales. I can for running the ball down some poor mooks throat six times in a row and then going over the top to Santana for a touchdown, though.

Just saying playing against the same people over and over and over with ever improving rosters gets stale and predictable. I like to test myself against all ranges of people to see how my scheme works and what I need to do to improve it. I guess we just play for different reasons.

Heh. Man, I'm glad you haven't been playing because we are not on the same page at all

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Santheb posted:

I guess we just play for different reasons.

So I guess my reason must be that I secretly want to destroy my controller.

Thomas Platinum
Aug 25, 2013

Alucard posted:

So I guess my reason must be that I secretly want to destroy my controller.

Pop a fuckin aneurysm! !!

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Oberst posted:

Heh. Man, I'm glad you haven't been playing because we are not on the same page at all

What, do you want us to both advance to the Super Bowl of Team Popularity and Ticket Sales? That poo poo just has no meaning to me and I was glad they took it out years ago.

I just want to play the drat game and hopefully come out with a few wins at the end of the night. I really could not care less how clean the bathrooms are at fake MetLife Stadium.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Santheb posted:

I really could not care less how clean the bathrooms are at fake MetLife Stadium.

See, the thing is your team's profit (or lack thereof) is what covers signing bonuses. Having a lovely stadium will mean you make less money, which means you have less to offer in signing bonuses, which can gently caress you over via salary cap issues as well as keeping you from re-signing players or adding free agents. As the Jets you don't even have to worry about it, your stadium is brand new and pretty much top-notch.

I'm going to have to get into Hangout one of these times, but I'm on my phone when I'm playing and I'm never in the thread in time to join other game hangouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Santheb posted:

What, do you want us to both advance to the Super Bowl of Team Popularity and Ticket Sales? That poo poo just has no meaning to me and I was glad they took it out years ago.

I just want to play the drat game and hopefully come out with a few wins at the end of the night. I really could not care less how clean the bathrooms are at fake MetLife Stadium.

I was mostly talking about the last paragraph, but I want more features and micromanagement. Divisional realignment would be p sweet in the main league with all the team moves

As oldskool put it: its franchise mode, not exhibition mode

But hey, idc as long as you plqy

Oberst fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 30, 2014

• Locked thread